Are You Being Authentic? 4 Ways Your Body Knows.

Via on Jun 13, 2013

hiding_behind_the_mask_by_kodih-d4ryrxe

Here’s how to use your body to keep an eye out for these 4 signs of inauthenticity.

• What’s my voice doing? When we’re not being ourselves, we tend to use a high voice. We’re not projecting from our belly and chances are everything below the neck is starved of breath. Are you talking super fast?  Another sign of discomfort.
  • What’s my body doing? Am I clenching my butt, my hands or my jaw? Our bodies are billions of cells firing at once and those cells can’t be fooled. Tension in your being is picked up instantly by your body. Do a body scan.
  • Am I breathing? Shallow breathing in the chest area and vs the belly will not only change your voice, it’s also a signal of fear, nervousness and playing the game of inauthenticity.
  • Am I in the present moment or am I being hyper-vigilant? When we’re feeling safe and authentically in the moment, we relax and respond naturally to what’s showing up. When we’re not, we’re hyper-vigilant watching others for signs that we’re accepted and okay.

When we’re in the present moment, our reactions are authentic, our personalities are real and we feel safe to shine our gifts onto the world.

xo

Via Daily Transformations

~

Relephant:

15 Holistic Self-Help Tools That Work.

~

Like elephant health & wellness on Facebook.

Editor: Bryonie Wise

Photo: Kodi Hays

About Tamara Star

Tamara Star believes happiness is not an end destination, but instead the ability to see the ordinary through eyes of wonder. If you let her, she'll show you how to take the life you're living and turn it into a life you'll love. Want more free scoop? Click here to subscribe to her mailing list. She's an international best selling author, life coach, and the creator of the original 40-day Personal reboot program for women--a 6 week virtual deep dive into clearing the slate on what's blocking you from living a life you love. Find the description here. Tamara Star's global reach inspires women around the world through her programs, newsletters and teachings. Connect with Tamara on her websiteFacebook or Twitter. Tamara's work had been featured on The Huffington Post, Positively Positive, The News.com Australia, Blog Her, The Good Men Project, Yoga Mint, The Elephant Journal, Twine Magazine, Eat, Drink, Explore Radio, Think Simple Now, Boulder Life, BOLD radio, and Yoga Anonymous.

9 Responses to “Are You Being Authentic? 4 Ways Your Body Knows.”

1. helen says:

elaborate a bit? good points but super short ,

2. Karen Monteith says:

Thanks for this timely article Tamara. I would like to share this on Facebook. I will also follow on twitter. I try to live authentically. It's a work in progress. Following trends does not work for me. By the time I am comfortable following a new trend in fashion, for example, the trend has changed. I am better to just wear what I like. I try to do what my heart directs me to do and follow my intuition. Again, a work in progress.

3. encounterillumination says:

yes wonder ful thx for sharing

4. Danielle says:

Can you tell me the artist of the painting with this wonderful article? It's stunning…

5. Nicole Weinberger says:

Simple, sweet, useful.

6. corey wiley says:

So if we are nervous, or anxious somehow that means we are being inauthentic? That does not rig true to me. A person can experience many degrees of distress for many reasons that can lead to tension and that does not mean they are inauthentic or should be deemed inauthentic. I do like that you put out there that people should have the option to speak fully and breath fully because a lot of the time shallow breathing and timid speaking is reinforced in social settings and is difficult to habit to break even if you have the presence of mind to attempt to speak up or take a deep breath.

7. When authenticly feeling nervous or scared your voice may become higher and your body full of tension…if this is true for you it's absolutely an authentic response. To be open and speaking normally when its not true within you, would be inauthentic. I agreed with Cory.

8. Meg says:

who did that painting? It is amazing and powerful!

9. Danielle says:

I agree with Corey as well. Since I have battled social anxiety my entire life these bodily traits are something I am very familiar with. When I am nervous I breath shallowly. If I feel under pressure to interact with others and have not mentally prepared myself, my voice may naturally come out a bit higher than it normally would. This is not something I think about. It doesn't mean I am being disingenuous or inauthentic. It just means I'm shy and socially awkward.