How Yoga Changes your Body—Starting the Day you Begin. [Infographic]

Via on Oct 29, 2013

benefits of yoga black swan texas

Here’s what we know so far about Yoga’s potential effects on the body:

Via Huffington Post: How Yoga Changes Your Body, Starting The Day You Begin (Infographic)

For more: This is what a Real Yoga Body looks like. Or, this.

yoga infographic

About elephant journal

Elephriends - Mindful Partners

190x1902-EJ-clothing

12 Responses to “How Yoga Changes your Body—Starting the Day you Begin. [Infographic]”

1. Lynda Dove-Garcia says:

I am trying yoga. I am so tight from years of running. I don't think it causes anxiety relief yet as I get depressed cause I can't get in the poses and everyone else is ms. gumbi. I suppose I just have to suppress my ego and keep trying but after a class I usually feel stressed out and sad.

• Mia says:

You dont have to be flexible to do Yoga. its like saying "I cant push weights cause Im not strong". As long as you are feeling a sensation in the pose and breathing in it you are doing yoga. Dont worry about how you look and how others look in the class. Try next time you go to make the effort to not even notice whats going on on someone elses mat and just focus on your Yoga. then the flexiblity comes. Also dont expect instant results. its a lifetime practice so you might aswell enjoy the moment. Peace.

• kris says:

Hi Lynda, i used to run as well and i know how it feels to be really tight. Try not to worry about what other people are doing, everyone has their own bodies and their own challenges, some of them may have been practising for 10 years. Or maybe they did gymnastics as children. Of course they are more flexible! :) Just learn to breathe properly in the postures, that will allow your body to relax and then to open, if you are tense during the practice you are working against the yoga. :) It will also allow you to focus more and become aware of what parts of the body you need to engage or relax in the postures, making you progress faster. Just try to enjoy the process, no matter how long and hard it may be, because it is already amazing that you are on the mat practising, and you have the possibility of doing it, other people may not be so lucky, having no time or money to practise yoga even if they really would like to. Day by day, class by class, a little bit at the time, it will happen, just breathe, relax, be grateful for this amazing gift and enjoy the ride. Just remember: you're awesome :) x

• AJ says:

Hi lynda,

You are on a beautiful journey and it is just the beginning! I just finished my teacher training and all my teachers would remind us that we are at the very beginning of our practice! And to enjoy it, how they miss what it feels like to experience a pose for the first time. There is so much room to grow. We are actually very lucky us un-flexible (or future flexible) people! We get to learn about our body with an adults eye. If you’re willing to let go and just surrender to the process you will be amazed at what your body can do. Hope that helps :) -your distant un-flexible un-coordinated cousin

• Tom says:

Lynda, you're right. And that's the best part.

Your ego is a heavy suit of bricks manifest in a critical inner voice – which, by the way, you don't have to listen to. Leave it at the door, or at work, or wherever it might be useful. We're all a bit rubbish at things when we start. I mean, when you started running you weren't as good as when you'd done it for a while, right? So keep trying, keep breathing (always useful), say 'fk it' to what everyone else is doing. Start by looking at the teacher only. Be inspired. I know you know it's not a genuine depression you're feeling. But to have a cry at the end – that's just all the crap surfacing. Let it out. Like when you get spotty during a detox. These are in fact little successes. Maybe even try a few one-to-one classes with a teacher in private. And next time tell the evil voice to cork it and stop judging you like a nosey friend – yoga time is your free time.

• Lorraine says:

Lynda,
      I had the same experience! until I tried Bikram yoga. Its very hot so you sweat and get a great workout. I definitely could not do many of the poses at first, but you do the same 26 poses every class and eventually your body learns how to move that way and you are able to get deeper into each pose. It really works! After years of running my body was tight and in pain a lot. Bikram makes a huge difference. I still run, but add this yoga into my exercise plan and am much healthier for it. Don't give up!

2. melissa says:

Lynda, the more you practice the easier it will become. As you become more flexible and your range of motion develops, you will be able to come into and hold those poses longer and with greater ease. Part of practicing Yoga is meeting your body where it is now and looking to the future, to where you would like your body and practice to be. Often times practicing Yoga brings up the stuff we need to work on, like breaking down the ego, and the more time you spend on your mat, the work you get done! Good luck!

3. leslie says:

Dear lynda. Recovering Stressed out runner here…Dont pay attention to what everyone else is doing. Start slow and gentle with either privates or a dvd or keep your eyes on your own mat if u go to class. Or just stay in child’s pose :) love yourself and be nice to yourself ! Walk briskly for cardio and dont substitute the practice for your cardio ..at least not in the beginning. Xo

4. PeaPatty says:

Lynda, try another yoga place where the people are more supportive! Every studio is different. Some are gumby gymnast oriented while others are not. Keep looking!

5. Barbara Chapman says:

Studying Yoga has rocked my world. I have been an avid, lifetime athlete and took up Pilates five years ago. I began with daily Yoga six months ago and nothing could replicate the strength, flexibility, focus and serenity I achieve with the practice. I am nearing sixty and realize the power and beauty of Yoga!
    Barbara

6. Keith says:

Lynda – 16 weeks have gone by since your post… I do hope you have enjoyed a difference in your practice. Remember when you started running? …. I'm doubting you could run 2 or 3 or 4 miles (or whatever your goal or distance is) when you started, but over time built up to those milestones. Yoga can be like that. 16 months after starting a yoga practice (again) I have put away the pool noodle I used to ease my ankle pain in any pose that required them "flat" on the ground, I only need 1 blue and 1 purple block for reclining hero's pose (not two blues) — and I can lean back and touch my heels. As you "practice" — you grow, and your body, mind, and spirit will change.

7. Jim says:

Lynda: I know this post is old but I just saw it and touches on something I struggled with for a while. As a completelyout of shape guy in his early 50s that was overweight, you can probably imagine that starting a yoga practice was intimidating and humbling. I was determined to progress and that powered me through. The most important thing, though, was my attitude. My thought everytime I began a class was to push myself to whatever my edge was that day and reject any comparisons with other days and othe people. My focus was on my development not others. Having said that, I also cultivated an attitude of support for others in the class and my wish was that be the more or less flexible (not many were less flexible!) I wanted them to equally be able to challenge themselves and glow and I was happy when they were continuing to deepen their practice, whatever level they were at. I found this a bit unnatural at first but ultimately very liberating. This wasn't an intellectual exercise but an actual day to day practice. I recommend it.