How Yoga Changes your Body—Starting the Day you Begin. [Infographic]

Via
on Oct 29, 2013
get elephant's newsletter

Key point: start by cutting your ambition, and fruition may come. Yoga star Richard Freeman:

Yoga aids body image:

Bonus:

curvy yoga

~

benefits of yoga black swan texas

Here’s what we know so far about Yoga’s potential effects on the body:

Via Huffington Post: How Yoga Changes Your Body, Starting The Day You Begin (Infographic)

For more: This is what a Real Yoga Body looks like. Or, this.

yoga infographic

Relephant:

5 Things You Should be Learning in Yoga Class (but Probably Aren’t).

101 Quotes about Wellness, Buddhism & Yoga to Change a Life. ~ Ryan Park

About elephant journal

Comments

14 Responses to “How Yoga Changes your Body—Starting the Day you Begin. [Infographic]”

1. Lynda Dove-Garcia says:

I am trying yoga. I am so tight from years of running. I don't think it causes anxiety relief yet as I get depressed cause I can't get in the poses and everyone else is ms. gumbi. I suppose I just have to suppress my ego and keep trying but after a class I usually feel stressed out and sad.

2. melissa says:

Lynda, the more you practice the easier it will become. As you become more flexible and your range of motion develops, you will be able to come into and hold those poses longer and with greater ease. Part of practicing Yoga is meeting your body where it is now and looking to the future, to where you would like your body and practice to be. Often times practicing Yoga brings up the stuff we need to work on, like breaking down the ego, and the more time you spend on your mat, the work you get done! Good luck!

3. leslie says:

Dear lynda. Recovering Stressed out runner here…Dont pay attention to what everyone else is doing. Start slow and gentle with either privates or a dvd or keep your eyes on your own mat if u go to class. Or just stay in child’s pose :) love yourself and be nice to yourself ! Walk briskly for cardio and dont substitute the practice for your cardio ..at least not in the beginning. Xo

4. PeaPatty says:

Lynda, try another yoga place where the people are more supportive! Every studio is different. Some are gumby gymnast oriented while others are not. Keep looking!

5. Barbara Chapman says:

Studying Yoga has rocked my world. I have been an avid, lifetime athlete and took up Pilates five years ago. I began with daily Yoga six months ago and nothing could replicate the strength, flexibility, focus and serenity I achieve with the practice. I am nearing sixty and realize the power and beauty of Yoga!
    Barbara

6. Keith says:

Lynda – 16 weeks have gone by since your post… I do hope you have enjoyed a difference in your practice. Remember when you started running? …. I'm doubting you could run 2 or 3 or 4 miles (or whatever your goal or distance is) when you started, but over time built up to those milestones. Yoga can be like that. 16 months after starting a yoga practice (again) I have put away the pool noodle I used to ease my ankle pain in any pose that required them "flat" on the ground, I only need 1 blue and 1 purple block for reclining hero's pose (not two blues) — and I can lean back and touch my heels. As you "practice" — you grow, and your body, mind, and spirit will change.

7. Jim says:

Lynda: I know this post is old but I just saw it and touches on something I struggled with for a while. As a completelyout of shape guy in his early 50s that was overweight, you can probably imagine that starting a yoga practice was intimidating and humbling. I was determined to progress and that powered me through. The most important thing, though, was my attitude. My thought everytime I began a class was to push myself to whatever my edge was that day and reject any comparisons with other days and othe people. My focus was on my development not others. Having said that, I also cultivated an attitude of support for others in the class and my wish was that be the more or less flexible (not many were less flexible!) I wanted them to equally be able to challenge themselves and glow and I was happy when they were continuing to deepen their practice, whatever level they were at. I found this a bit unnatural at first but ultimately very liberating. This wasn't an intellectual exercise but an actual day to day practice. I recommend it.

8. Alex Long says:

Thank you for putting up this beautiful infographic using 'plus sized' (but probably just normal sized) images. I am a very tall and quite curvy yogini. I am very body conscious and spend far too much time hating my body. Yoga is changing that. I am slowly learning to respect and love the temple that is my body – the vessel carrying me through life. Yoga is teaching me that I am not my body – I am far more than it – and it doesn't define me or my worth.

9. matthew says:

All your thoughtful and compassionate posts game me such positive and supportive energy that I need to get me back into yoga. It's been missing in my life for too long. Thank you.