What Smoking Really Does to Our Bodies. {Website}

Via on Oct 18, 2013

photo: via Tobacco Body website

We’ve all heard by now that smoking is very bad for the body.

We know that smoking can lead to cancer, emphysema, heart disease and a host of other maladies.

However, most of us don’t know about the other nasty things that smoking can do to the body.

For instance, did you know that smoking can cause some women to grow facial hair, make them more prone to vaginal infections and even worsen an existing case of acne? (Apparently, smokers’ pimples are much harder to treat than non-smokers.)

I did not know either until I visited the fascinating site, Tobacco Body.

The Tobacco Body is a great site for anyone who wants to quit the habit for good or just wants to know how bad smoking really is.

On a personal note, speaking as someone who lost her maternal grandfather and uncle to lung cancer, I wish that there had been something around like this when they made the decision to smoke.

Warning: Once you click on this site, you may spend more time on it than you ever thought possible checking out the cool, disturbing information on it.

~
Relephant bonus video:

The right kind of smoking can be okay…or not? Ayurveda weighs in:

Relephant bonus reads:

Read This & Instantly Quit Smoking.

5 Tips for Smokers Who Do (Not) Really Want to Quit.

Smoke Signals: Are Cigarettes Really as Bad as They Say?

Want 15 free additional reads weekly, just our best?

Get our weekly newsletter.

Ed: Sara Crolick

You might need this. An expert weighs in on how to do it:

About Kimberly Lo

Kimberly Lo is a yoga instructor and freelance editor & writer based in Charlottesville, VA. In her spare time, she enjoys needlework, travel, and photography. Connect with her on Facebook.

8 Responses to “What Smoking Really Does to Our Bodies. {Website}”

1. Janet says:

Was so addicted to tobacco that every time I tried to quit I would smoke more. Felt totally helpless. Tried so many ways and failed miserably until I found a hospital that offered a cessation program out-patient for an hour a week x 6 weeks. They couldn't have been more on the mark with their method of quelling addiction and for the support they demonstrated to the class. I was finally able to stop smoking relatively easily and it's been 7 years.of non-smoking bliss! Alot of hospitals offer a program or will refer you to one that has one.

2. Ingrid says:

Is there one in Australia

3. soandso says:

Although this article is informative, it will not help smokers quit, and will most likely make you want to smoke more out of anxiety. Try easyway by allen carr. He's an actual smoker so he knows what it's like. http://allencarr.com/ I read the book in 2 hours and was able to quit with no cravings. The success rate is unbelievably high because he makes you realize that you actually don't want to smoke. Willpower methods and scare tactics just make you miserable and are generally ineffective. Good luck!

4. Bramble says:

I'm always skeptical when the anti-tobacco movement talks about yellow nicotine stains on people's fingers. I smoked for many years and never had that, nor did anyone else I knew who smoked. The ones who do get yellow fingers… are these people simply not washing their hands, ever??

Those kinds of exaggerations tend to trivialize other points which ARE valid by making you wonder what else they're exaggerating (or outright lying about).

5. J. Grant says:

I feel this article was bogus.to say ask me heal slower due to smoking is bullshit.and I have never seen a smoker look at that raggedy and nasty in appearance.I agree with what you put in your body shows on the outside, but those people must have been drinkers and have a diet of Twinkies and Mountain Dew.I don't feel there is any scientific basis on this article. Oh, and for the record I am a non smoker. I just hate media hype and people trying to sensationalize things like this.

6. linhebert says:

As a non-smoker, I clicked on Tobacco Body out of curiosity and spent a short amount of time reading a few of the notes. The one that I found very surprising was the statement that most teenage girl smokers are Overweight compared to their non-smoker peers. I've personally never known an overweight teenaged female smoker. In fact, when I was in high school, most of the female smokers used cigarettes as a substitute for food and were very "fashionably" thin.

7. Nat says:

Not sure why, but my screen wouldn't let me read the blurbs on the bottom . . .

8. D.R.Hook says:

I smoked for 30+ years. I tried just about everything. I finally was able to quit the nasty habit 7 years ago. There is no quick and easy gimmick. It's called having urge control, and we all are able to do it. Each craving, studies show, last 2 to 4 minutes in most people. The task is to ride out each craving, not to act on them. Of course, this will happen many times a day. It can be done. And the # of cravings each day will diminish over time, as they did with me. I told myself if I reached the 4 minute marker and still wanted that smoke, I could go get some. I never made the 4 minute marker. Just keep doing whatever it was you were doing as the urge came up. This too shall pass.