How To Find Yourself, When You’ve Lost Yourself.

Via on Nov 17, 2013

Lost - Rebecca Lammersen

Relephant reads!

How to Release Your Inner Wonder Woman.

Sometimes We Need to Get Lost to Be Found.

Live the Life of Your Dreams.

I had everything—a home, a loving husband, two gorgeous daughters, financial security. I wanted for nothing. For years, this life was welcomed.

I felt safe. But over time, safe stopped serving me. Safe became confinement, imprisonment—I was actually miserable. I was empty.

I was lost…completely lost, with no clue how to get home.

“Where was home?,”  I began to ask. I might as well have been sitting in the middle of the Sahara, not my beige Pottery Barn sectional.

My life was uncomfortably predictable—I knew what was going to happen next, in every moment of every day.

The stagnancy of my life was destroying my spirit. I was no longer myself, and I knew the journey from where I was back to my home was going to be a scary, uncertain one; but at some point I had no choice. I couldn’t live separate from myself anymore, so I started walking without any idea where I was going.

That was three and a half years ago.

Today, I’m writing this from home, from the same beige couch.

The difference? Me, and the thousand of miles I’ve traveled since. The thousands of experiences I’ve collected to bring me right back here, home—found.

There were many frightening moments, many moments I didn’t think I would make it. I made mistake after mistake, which catapulted me in the exact direction I was meant to go. I don’t regret any of it, because all of the wrong choices led me to the right place, every step of the way.

If there’s one piece of advice I would give every person, it would be to get lost.

Finding yourself is not a comfortable process, nor should it be. It is petrifying.

This period of confusion is the catalyst for questioning everything, for evaluating your life and your place in it. When you start asking the questions, you will find the answers. Just be prepared—your answers may not be the answers you want, but they are always the answers you need.

If you already feel lost, listen closely. Your spirit is screaming, “Help! I’m bored and confused. This present circumstance is no longer fulfilling me. Start looking again. Search every corner. Try new things. Fail miserably and then try something else until you find me. Keep going until you laugh again, until you discover understanding, acceptance, happiness, joy, and most importantly, purpose.”

When you feel lost, you’ve lost your purpose.

I remember being consumed with guilt for feeling unappreciative of my blessed life. Over the past few years, I’ve learned that my external circumstance (no matter how perfect it may appear) is insignificant if my internal circumstance is broken, lost and void of aspirations. If I have no purpose, my surroundings will feel purposeless too.

How do you find purpose?

Do something, anything. Do anything that is the opposite of what you are doing right now.

Get uneasy, get scared, become a beginner again. If you think you know it all, find something you know nothing about, and learn it well.

Observe how you respond and react. You will learn something new about yourself; not only about your character, but what turns on your light. Once you’ve found something that turns on your light, you’ve found purpose.

When you place yourself in foreign situations, you arrive in your most concentrated form. You will always bump into yourself in the unfamiliar.

The most difficult part of this process is the aloneness. You can’t rely on anyone else to guide you in the right direction. This is a solo mission. Doing it alone, is the whole point of the journey.

Listen to yourself regardless of what others may say. All that matters is your encouragement, not others’ discouragement.

What got me through was trust. I trusted I was always where I was supposed to be, and I would end up where I was meant to be.

This is your one life. It would be a tragedy to never discover yourself.

You can’t discover yourself unless you look for yourself, so get lost.

By Rebecca Lammersen

Want 15 free additional reads weekly, just our best?

Get our weekly newsletter.

Ed: Bryonie Wise

Photo courtesy of the author.

About Rebecca Lammersen

Rebecca Lammersen is the founder of Yogalution, a donation based yoga studio in Scottsdale, AZ. I love being alive. I love being a mother. I love teaching yoga. I love to write. I love to know. I love to not know. I love to learn. I love to listen. I love to read. I love to travel. I love to dance. I love to help. I love to serve. That pretty much sums me up. Check out Rebecca's website and her articles at The Huffington Post. Subscribe to Rebecca's feed and never miss a post!

56 Responses to “How To Find Yourself, When You’ve Lost Yourself.”

1. Rhonda T. says:

I love this article! Personally I agree that finding yourself anew is the best solution for any of us who find that life has just gotten too predictable and boring. Getting back our sense of awe is worth the journey, no matter what it takes. I might also suggest checking out Pema Chodron's "When Things Fall Apart" to start the journey to becoming unstuck (giving up on the expectation of security) in the most positive way!!

2. Anne says:

When you look for fulfillment in other things and people (family, job, husband, etc) one will always eventually end up bored and need new stimuli because real fulfillment can never be found in anything other than within. Thats why she had to travel the world. Yes, a change of scenery is a positive thing to do. I do it a lot. So is facing your fears and being a beginner. But now that shes home, she'll get bored again until she finds her way to the present moment, as it is. When you do, theres nothing boring about any of it. Yes she was lost. Lost in the mind like most people are every day of their life. Then they go out looking for another thrill or another journey to fulfill them. I love embarking on new things knowing that it will be interesting and rich experience, but it wont fulfill me.

3. tnbroom says:

I needed this read today. I've been too comfortable lately and it's starting to wear on me for exactly the reasons you've stated. Part of my discomfiture has to do with my newfound laziness – a late in life discovery. Before now, I didn't have time to be lazy, but now that I have the time, I find myself doing nothing, more and more. I also wallow in it and enjoy the fact that I don't have any place to go, no things to do, no people to see. It's time for a change though. I'm feeling a little lost. I'm going to start with re-reading this post and then going to pick up Pema's book, mentioned above. I've heard too many good things about it to keep ignoring the recommendation.

4. kkh-m says:

Very helpful. Thank you for sharing this.

5. Julie says:

my situation is much more desperate, this made me cry because I knew I was not alone in these thoughts. Monotony is bad for me – is killing me. I have always been fearless to go into the unfamiliar, and I'm scared I'm losing that because I'm trapped at home with small children. Our home/life depends on my income so I can't leave, but am living in another world where I DO leave. I fantasize about it all the time. Yes, ultimately my family is what matters most, but I'm afraid if I don't break this groundhog day life I'm living somehow, I will go crazy… is there any way you can tell me what to do? Everyone is dependent on me, and I don't have the conscience to make them move or lessen their standard of living or rearrange everyone else's life I set up for them just for my own selfish reasons or because I have no problem changing everything.

• Dear Julie,
      I would recommend speaking with someone (a professional) who can help you sort out your feelings. I would also recommend writing down exactly what you wish to change. Seeing your thoughts and feelings on paper is important. It will help you sift through the confusion and find the answers you need. Your family will only be as happy as you are. ~Rebecca

• Lynne says:

Hi Julie, I can empathise and just want to reassure you that this time and these feelings will pass. This particular stage when the kids are little and there is a lot of responsibility on your shoulders will pass before you know it and you'll soon be in a new phase of your, and their life, with new challenges and rewards. Get the support of friends and family where you can and look after yourself. You can do this, this isn't forever .

• Joan Thompson says:

Leave for three hours a day, three times a week (babysitter).
      Get up before any one else and have time for journal ing, yoga, staring out the window
      Also…almost forgot…going to sleep, surprised to find sleep gave me a happier outlook..
      Let your mind fantasize and doodle or etch.
      These helped me when I was in the space you've descr
      Ibed…now I'm 72 and, looking back…these are the things which I'm glad I did.

• Sam says:

Wow! I woke up this morning feeling the exact same way! Ground hog day! I am pretty sure that I can not spend the rest of my life doing this!!! I often feel like I could run away but would never do that to my son and husband. I have nothing in my head. No dreams, no ambition just bitterness…and no drug is going to help with that.

6. Kai Dubose says:

I LOVE this. The safe I so longed for through my teens and early twenties was found and by my late thirties and now early forties, has felt like confinement more times than I care to admit. Thank you for reminding me that to feel lost is okay. As my mom would tell me…"bear the discomfort." Finding myself; the peeled back version of who I am is tough! It's rewarding as well and this piece has reminded me of just that. <3

7. Diana says:

One of the best things I have ever read. In my life. Seriously, amazing.

8. benoitfoucher says:

Great inspiring article made from an authentic and vulnerable voice, thanks!
    One piece I would add is that, though our journeys are made alone, coaches can help you find your answers and accelerate your process by asking you the questions you might not want to ask yourself.
    Love,
    Benoit

9. Thank you for writing that! I am going through that exact process right now. I feel completely lost in my own mind. Like I have no purpose or whatever. I started blogging my journey to find myself again. Everything I have been reading has beeen saying the same thing you said. Lose yourself, get out of your comfort zone and refind your light. Your post is inspriring!

10. Micky says:

I love your words you wrote, & your advice. I do believe it is when we feel the most lost, the most disconnected from who we know ourselves to be, that is when we see our truth. Many times we don't want to see what our truth is showing us because it may be a huge departure from our comforts. I feel for Julie, & so appreciate her candor & honesty. She is faced with a hard decision, but not one to be looked at in such a negative, selfish way. How many times do we hear stories of men who quit their 9-5 to pursue their dreams? What we usually hear in the next paragraph is how they couldn't have done it without the support of their amazing wife who believed in them. Well, I hope that Julie can be so lucky to find that kind of support to trust her heart. I believe that is the voice screaming out to her to be heard, not the voice of a crazy person. Hopefully her partner cares enough to not want her to live with a numb soul, as a martyr, & can at least help find a compromise. "If Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy." Good luck to you Julie!

11. Dave says:

What a beautiful article, thank you.

12. Sage says:

Going through this right now. Thank you for the encouragement!

13. Michele says:

I am not alone:-) What am I doing on your beige Pottery Barn sofa? I have a path of unknowns to travel. Thank You Rebecca

14. Mariana Wirth says:

Thank you for put into words what I am feeling since a couple of years. Additionally, my father past away last January after a painful illness, and my mother had two episodes of brain bleeding, so I had absolutely no time to think about my needs. But when the water begins to be more calm, the feeling of emptyness appears again, and I know I have to do something about it. Thank you for share!!!

15. Nivedan Rathi says:

I am 20, and I was crying like a baby while reading this article.
    Completely resonates with my state of existence since the last one year.
    I've been lost in my blessed life. I've become a seeker.

16. Shams says:

Thank you for reflecting my life to me. wonderful piece of writing i have read in ages.

17. creatingacolorfullife says:

Exactly what I am doing right now, I've gotten lost first in Ireland, England then Spain and I'm just packing my suitcase to go back home after 3 years. What I learned is that you cannot see the beauty outside if you do not carry it inside, so it actually doesn't matter in which place you are but only the mental state you are in matters

18. Scott says:

My wife seems to be going through what you described. She felt we needed to separate in order for her to find herself and her purpose. I want to give her the freedom but at the same time it is really hard not knowing what our future will hold. It seems to me this sort of self-discovery has been glamorized for women in recent years. I call it the Eat, Pray, Love fantasy. When a man goes through a “mid-life” crisis it is not looked upon in such a positive light. He is deemed to be an immature pig. I am a big believer in stability, accountability and balance in life. We can’t just run from our responsibilities and obligations in life for some fantasy because other people tend to get hurt that way. The healthier approach would be to help people find their purpose but within the confines of your current life if at all possible not to encourage them to get lost. Nonetheless I sent my wife this article and told her about your yoga studio as we live in Phoenix.

• megan says:

Thank you Scott!!! I was thinking the same thing exactly. Why is the answer always to run and leave everything behind? I and my children are victims of a man's mid-life crisis. There are so many better options than running away. That may help at the moment and provide some instant gratification, but the shame, guilt, and results of the pain and damage caused to be so selfish, will catch up. It is called Karma. He has now lost the best friend he ever had in this life, the respect of and relationship with his children, the respect of his community, and his friends. I understand why he did what he did, but it was just so unnecessary for him to go to such extremes and cause so much damage. You are right Scott. It does not matter if it is the woman or the man that chooses to walk away from their families to persue this journey. There is a right way and a wrong way!

• Sara says:

To Scott and Megan,
        I totally agree with your perspectives. I have seen the, "Eat, Pray, Love" fantasy of a near 2 hour movie that glamorized running away in order to "find one's self". Also, my two children and I have experienced the sting of my husband's "mid-life crisis" where he chose to leave and live with another woman and her family "to feel successful" after I had worked to put him through college. It left a wound on my heart that never fully healed. Both of these actions described by Scott and Megan are totally selfish, self-fulfilling acts that leave heavy collateral damage for years to come. You see, I have never had the luxury of feeling "lost"…I had to be "found" to myself in order to survive and maintain a roof over our heads because of financial struggle, day in and day out. I didn't have the time to "get bored". I am nearly 70 yrs old and am alone, but I am not lonely…big difference here. I continue to work, because I must and I also serve dinners to the homeless men in Boston. My advice for women who, "need to find out who they are"…step out of your comfort zone…learn what struggling is all about by seeing others in a helpless, hopeless environment…empathize by putting yourself in their shoes knowing you are blessed and have a place to lay your head every night, and a warm dinner and choices of food to eat. If you cannot do that, then you will never find yourself no matter what you do or where you go to "escape" to find the nose on your face.

19. Lisa says:

I do not like this article at all. In fact, it makes me feel a little sick. Not because of what it says (I agree with many of its points), but because of what it does not say. What happened to your family on your search to find yourself? Where were your loving husband and two gorgeous daughters during your 3-year journey? That missing piece is what bothers me.

I, too, had a charmed life. One that was perfect in every way – love, security, some financial strain – but it was ok, because we were building a life and future together to take care of our loved ones in need. Everything was going beautifully…. until one day an accidental text revealed that my "lost" husband finally "found" himself in the arms of a married co-worker! I had no warning. I was pushed off the edge of his cliff as he ran like a coward off in the other direction to fulfill his selfish and fleeting desire to find himself. Now I, my son, and my mother with Alzheimer's are trying to find our way in a world, when the one person we loved and trusted the most abandoned us on his journey to find himself.

I understand the gist of your article and the point you are trying to make, but I do not find honor in running unless you deal with your current situation in an honest, loving and open way. Maybe you did do that. Your article does not mention how your search affected your family. If my husband had been honest, open and upfront with his feelings and emotions, I would have done anything I could to help him on his journey – including giving him the freedom (separation and divorce included) to help him find his way and his happiness again. If this had been done, we could have worked it out or split amicably.

Unfortunately, I was not granted that courtesy or that opportunity. Twenty years of love and devotion were carelessly treated and discarded. Fortunately almost three years later, I am alive and love myself and my life again. It has not been an easy or welcome journey, but I am GRATEFUL for what I have learned.

"Grant that I may be given the appropriate difficulties and sufferings on this journey so that my heart may be fully awakened and that my practice of liberation and universal compassion may be truly fulfilled." ~ Tibetan Prayer

• beata says:

Lisa you rock !!!all those poor souls that get lost and bored…..when new exiting life shits on them…. why do they come back to boring…..and think they should be accepted

20. emily says:

As a mother of 3 I had the same feelings as Lisa about this article – although I do understand the guilt of being lonely and lost while realizing all one has to be so grateful for..

I have zero time for myself, have gained 30 lbs and have been struggling post-partum depression. Instead of being productive while the kids are napping, I spend my time lurking on facebook. So lame. I am really good at "faking it" but want to have a truly authentic engaged life. My goal now is to try and figure out how to navigate out of this pathetic state (without deserting my family).

• anna says:

I had post partum depression too..make sure to get it treated and do your best to be kind to yourself..for a start you could stop calling yourself lame. Post partum can be a very hard time..Hang in there..enjoy any small moments you can…and know you are doing your very best. Hugs.

21. Gabe says:

I agree with Lisa 100%. Face your problems, don't run away from them.

• megan says:

Very well put Lisa! I was thinking the exact same thing while reading this article. How much damage did she do to her husband and daughters??? There is a fine line between ego and soul.

22. I love this article. I think it's one of the most fascinating things in the world to find that you've let yourself become suffocated.

23. Sam says:

This post really hit home. I am in the process of shaking things up and becoming a beginner again. Up until now, I was frustrated with stagnation and the lack of challenges. I won't be doing much physical travel – not only because of the expense, but also because of the distraction from the time to explore within. It's taken years to admit to what I really want to do. It feels like now or never, even with all the risk. Isn't risk simply a challenge?

Thank you for sharing this. Your timing is (unintentionally) perfect.

24. Thank you for all of the comments. If you are interested in reading my story please visit my column here on ej and read away. Thank you for all of the support. ~Rebecca

25. Melissa says:

Gosh Rebecca you are amazing, every single thing you post has beautiful meaning and is so relatable! I appreciate the opportunity to regularly read your work and feel enlightened everytime! I have been lost and through my journey that still continues now I have learnt more than I could have ever imagined! Keep up the great work, know i’m watching and reading from “down-under” in South Australia! Would love to connect with you in future x

26. Elephant journal is very interesting n always show or send to my timeline

27. beatrix says:

I have read this post several times. I even read the comments. All are wonderful. They really provide me with some kind of calm in facing my life now. I am also faced with the reality that there is an emptiness in my life. I may have known this for ages. But I never thought I could do anything about it since I have a family to take care of and I am the only one providing income. But then I look at my friends who are leading a life that they have chosen doing things they like for a living and such and such and still are able to provide income for their families. And I wonder why is it not possible for me. It's not easy. I am now faced with a very tough decision, and yet I know what I have to do. I know that negative energy will spread to my family member and if I don't do it, one day I will blame them for never trying. I have taken measures to speak about this with my family. We basically decided that it is best to give it a go. Maybe, like the author, 3.5 years from now I will look back and find myself leading a fulfilled life.

28. Prateek says:

Thank you so much for posting this. It was disturbing for someone to peg meg me so accurately as "one who does not know oneself". The worst part was I thought I knew exactly who I was, until she pointed out some very obvious traits about me that I was ignoring about myself. Funny how quick we are to pat ourselves on the back, but how slow we are to acknowledge our own faults. Thanks again, and I look forward to the journey

29. MJ says:

Thank you for this, it’s exactly what I needed to read. Going through the most painful feelings at the moment, I need to embrace them. The start of my journey begins.

30. whoAMI says:

(Soryy abt my english, its my second language) I too love this article! As am writing this tears are all over my cheeks! I cant take this anymore! All my life i hve been feeling like shit! unwanted. My daddy abondened me when i was 2 and never met him until he died. I was raised by my mom and my step dad. I dont know why, but I never felt being loved by my mom and my step dad and mostly by anyone. I always thought they only cared about my two half baby brothers. I was alone eversince, and this killed my soul slowly. I did well in school, went to college so that i could make my mom proud of me. One year after graduating i got into relationship with some guy and got pregy, but as i was destined he abondened me just like my daddy did. I gave birth to my daughter, she is 5 years now. For five six years i hve been looking for a job just to support my baby and myself but i never got any lucky! I tried doing business but all are failing. OMG! was i being born to fail? to be abondened? am i unwanted? Then why cant he just take me? kill me? Am so tired, i cant take it anymore. I have these ugly acne on my face eversince my puberty age and am going to 30 now! Iam lonely, iam shit am nothing am DOOMED!! Sometimes i think that may be i sinned much and then i died and now am in hell. Iam a suicidal but even death cant take me in.

31. Curtis says:

You have shared an inspiring experience for so many, my wife of ten years has recently decided (six weeks ago) that she needs to be separate from our family. What began the whirlwind was two situations at her day job, she works in the Health Services industry so she tends to a lot of sick people and is witness to death. Two patients that she assisted with in their care passed away one in her fifties(co-worker) and the other just plain old, however, this had such an impact on my wife that it sent her mind into a fit of fast fry, she spoke to a grief councillor not long after that and this professional individual said simply follow what you see yourself doing, in this case anthropology, so she set this in motion and has my full support with it. In December she dropped the bomb on me that she was not sure of our future and where she would be in say two years or even five years, she had lost herself, not sure if she wanted to be in a relationship, the list goes on but you understand the recipe. We still love and respect each other, she is rooming at her friends house so she has her space to breath and she says this really helps. Communication has never been an issue with us until she started having all these thoughts and feelings and then nothing until she decided to fill me in back in December. Since that time life for the rest of us has been an absolute nightmare, I took five weeks off work for my own stress and that's when she decided she needed to leave the situation stating that she couldn't handle what this was doing to me. In my mind my stress leave became all about her at that point, I have been supportive through out all of this being her friend meanwhile crying myself to sleep, being physically ill, not up to parenting which has basically been left to me, saying good bye to any future plans we had, life is upside down, she is my love and my twin flame but I am doing everything I can to support what she needs to do, in her frame of mind she has no interest at present to move back into the family unit and obviously has no idea when (limbo). Is this "Finding yourself" journey selfish, some would say yes, is it selfish of a Husband and the rest of the family to want her to remain with them and work through the struggle together, maybe somewhat but less so. Is it entirely unfair to the family yes, but it is also unfair to her to be completely unidentified as a person. After reading many different columns and reading valuable input from so many, the one thing that all of the freedom seekers that were going through this could not be true to was, responsibility, if people are making choices to bring other human beings into this world then stand up and be counted for it. Being on the cleanup crew is definitely the most negative thing anyone can go through.

32. Melody says:

I googled “finding yourself again,” and stumbled upon this article. It, and all the comments and input from others that followed, was exactly what I needed to see.

I am 21 years old, living on my own, surviving off minimum wage to pay for this apartment and get by, with no help from others. My mother, at 41, is living in a hotel after losing her home. She hasn’t held a job in years. My father is bordering another state with his wife and five other kids–since marrying her he’s all but forgotten about me. I don’t know the last time I even heard from him.

I don’t have other family that live nearby, and over the years everyone has dropped contact. After I turned 18 they just stopped sending me birthday cards or inviting me to holidays. I’ve spent the last few at home, alone.

And I’ve become lost again. I have been able to pay rent and bills if I combine both paychecks I receive a month, but I can’t take days off work because I barely make enough as it is. I want to go to a technical college, but I live in a small town and don’t have a car; and the TC I’m looking at (the closest one) is almost an hour away. I don’t even have my license yet, because my mother could never afford to put me through drivers ed.

I used to be so ambitious. As a youth I’d spend hours daydreaming, drawing, writing, creatively expressing myself…that’s always what I’ve been best at in life. Praised by my art and English teachers throughout school..told I had so much talent, that I would be successful one day. I had a teacher in middle school (a substitute, no less) tell me: “Don’t ever become a waitress. Just keep drawing.”

It carried me through some of the hardest challenges of my childhood and adolescence, but I don’t even have the energy or motivation to pick up a pencil, now. I want to..but my mind is empty. I have no inspiration. And I question if I even can.

I don’t know anyone in town. My closest friend is 3 hours away. I’m too shy to meet people, and I’m too stuck in this rut to want to try. I need help and I don’t know anyone who can help me.

I know I’m better than this…but I’m trapped and I don’t know how to escape.

Help!

And I’ve become lost again. I have been able to pay rent and bills if I combine both paychecks I receive a month, but I can’t take days off work megastar I barely

33. Joseph Dabon says:

Simply amazing. Especially for me who wants something out of life yet got this feeling that I am not making any progress towards it.

34. Amanda says:

I am 44 years old with four (children) well they are 26, 21, 20, and 17. My youngest just graduated two weeks ago. I recently quit my job and even before that I have been feeling like I just need a change. I want to travel. I want to find myself. I have been a mother since I was 17 and I do not know who I am besides being a mother or wife or now girlfriend. I am currently living with a boyfriend that I thought was my soul mate and now that we are living together I hate the idea. He has two younger children (11 and 14). I have no desire to be a step mother or even participate in their activities. I feel like I have been there done that and I deserve my own time to do what I want. Am I selfish am I a horrible person? Please someone help me. I'm so lost and feel so empty inside.

35. Guest says:

Lisa is 100% right. My daughter and I had this selfish, self centered crap served on us without warning and we were brutally and violently kicked to the curb penniless, stripped of every safety net we'd ever known. You can wrap this story up in any whiny, I don't know who I am/I need to find myself etc., BS you want but you're behavior is unacceptable and your family should have refused to open the door when you returned.

36. jo says:

I have been reading elephant journal for a while now. I've recognized your picture at the bottom of many articles that I have found to hit home. I personal train a woman that is working on taking back control of her life after spending much of the last decade sedentary and rarely leaving her home. One thing I say to her after every session is, "Do something different today. Don't just go home. Get lost a bit". Now, I am guilty of not taking my own advice often so this article was a great reminder

Now subscribing :)

37. Amy E says:

Ding, ding, ding. Been there, done that. Lost myself for awhile. Found myself recently. Love it!

38. Debbie Amsden says:

I needed this. On the verge of making changes and reading your story is inspiring! Thank you.

39. celistin says:

Rebecca..this article was absolutely what I needed to read. I've been feeling lost, not sure who I am anymore. Worked through a lot of past trauma with an amazing counsellor and have created in myself a whole new me. But I don't know who that is yet, and doubting myself. I logged into FB and this popped up first in my newsfeed. I read it and had tears in my eyes by the end of it..it was exactly how I felt and the encouragement I needed. I printed it out and carry it around in my wallet now, and I've also given copies to close friends who are going through the same struggle. You write so eloquently. Thank you <3

40. patricia says:

i have lost myself and it was after years of grief through losing loves ones, I have never felt the same since part of me left as well It was if someone had turned a light out
    I am now finding myself again its been hard and slow but to be in a place so unfamiliar was alien to me as a happy go lucky person. I read articles like this to ground me and let me know I am not alone

41. cam says:

I recently have began thinking about taking my own journey. All of my plan have collapsed on themselves and I don’t know what to do anymore. I’ve had the idea of leaving home for a few month and just travel but I don’t really have the money for it. Is there any advice you can give me? Does it really cost that much to go on a journey like this?

42. missing pieces says:

I see me in so many ways as i read this…thanks for posting it give me hope..

43. Ann says:

Hi Rebecca,

I want to say thank you for sharing your story. I just knew about this website and stumbled on your post was the best thing I have done today.

I’m just a uni student who is lost, confused and being trapped in my daily routine. Just like you, I have a loving family who supports me emotionally and financially. From the outside, I seem to have it all, but I know deep inside that I’m a lost person.

I like what you said about questioning yourself and preparing to expect the answers that you need but not what you want. It’s an intimidating idea but it’s also tempting at the same time. What if the answer is not what people would expect from me? What if…? What if…? There are so many “what if”. But like you said, we only have one life to live and I want to make it a good one.

Recently, I just start blogging, which is not what I would normally do, but maybe trying something unfamiliar is what I need now. I don’t know where it will get me, but I hope it can help me to explore myself.

It’s great to know that I’m not the only one. Thank you, again!

44. Dhyan Darsho says:

I know perfectly what you are talking about, I have been through it, now it is 7 years I lost myself, found it and lost again! Everything has changed in my life, and it is keeping changing, I don't know when it gonna ending. Until 7 years ago I had a "normal" life, a beautiful family, a very well paid job, I own a house, etc, but then my soul start to wake me up, and suddenly I have lost everything, ending to sleep in the floor in a sort of ashram. I think I am still in what they called "the dark night of the soul" where you really feel completely lost, and if you don't lose the faith on yourself, you will exit and rebuild life in a completely new way. I am still waiting. Thank you for sharing.