The Best Advice I Ever Got About Love.

Via on Nov 8, 2013

I was thinking about how I learned what I know about relationships. Not just from experience, but from advice that resonated, even when I didn’t want to hear it.

The best advice, the advice that worked, and stayed with me for years is all really about mindfulness, presence and non-attachment. (Even though none of it came from Buddhists, and I wasn’t a Buddhist when I received most of it).

I hope that you can take these drops of wisdom into your heart and use them to take good care of yourself no matter what happens in a relationship.

Light and Breezy

Recently, I was talking to a(nother old, married) friend about our dating years. I said I had spent decades chasing, anguishing, and having very few actual boyfriends. She said she’d never really had any issues in that area, aside from the inevitable breakups. She had had several long-term relationships, and lots of dates.

She said this: “I always tried to keep it light and breezy.”

For me, this idea was revolutionary.

It wasn’t that she didn’t care, or didn’t want relationships. It wasn’t that she was playing some kind of manipulative game, like “The Rules” that dictated that she shouldn’t call a guy first, or had to keep him on tenterhooks to maintain his interest.

She just maintained a healthy emotional distance until it was really, really clear that there was strong mutual interest, living in the present rather than in some fantasy of the future. She respected herself, she had things to do, and she was looking at a romantic relationship as a beautiful addition to her existing life, not as the thing that would make that life worth living.

Light and breezy would have rocked my world during my single years, if I had been able to live it. It’s all about the ability to be with what is, in the moment without knowing if you’ll get a call, or make a connection. It’s about being in that uncertain place without pushing, forcing, nagging, or otherwise putting pressure on the delicate filament of romantic potential.

Light and breezy is this: you go three days without receiving a text. You send a message that says “did you get eaten by bears on the camping trip?” because it’s totally reasonable to check in. But if you don’t get an answer, you move on. You don’t send more, increasingly needy or passive-aggressive messages. You don’t spend every minute trying to figure out why you didn’t hear back, and is it because he thinks you’re ugly or is he back with his old girlfriend, and are you going to be alone forever, and oh god he had beautiful hands…you just don’t do it.

Keep it light and breezy, and if it’s coming your way, it’ll come.

Sometimes, a person just doesn’t want anything from you.

When I was in my mid-twenties I had my first serious relationship, and although the guy was clearly not The One, I clung desperately. One day, struggling against an overwhelming undertow of foreboding and panic about the whole thing, I asked a male friend what to do. Specifically, I said “what does he want from me?!”

His answer: “sometimes, a person just doesn’t want anything from you.”

I was devastated. I wanted tips, tricks, hints, magic, or at least an explanation of how I was misunderstanding the male psyche so that I could come at it again from a better direction.

Truth is, it was the right answer, the best answer and what I needed to hear. The guy was moving on, which was what I was sensing, and he really didn’t want anything at all from me other than a gracious and easy release.

I didn’t let go, and there were months of tears, tortured conversations, and mutual suffering. More months, in fact, than the duration of the actual relationship. Had I trusted my instincts and walked away, I would have felt better about myself and had lovely memories instead of scars.

Sometimes, as hard and sad and lonely as it is, a person just doesn’t want anything from you. And if you think that might be true, it probably is.

Don’t strangle the kitten.

We made friends with a house full of college students. One of them, Joe, was madly in love with someone his entire senior year. First she had a boyfriend, then she was busy with exams and an internship. He never got up the nerve to get past the nervous joking stage.

The night after graduation, they had a big party to celebrate. Joe was the last one sleeping in the house because he couldn’t get a flight home for a few days. The woman he loved was at the party, and agreed to stay the night with him, alone, in the house.

A week or so later, one of his roommates was in town to pick up the security deposit and he dropped by our house to say hello. “What happened with Joe and that girl?!” I asked. I’d been dying to know, hoping for a happy ending. When we left the party, red plastic cups of bad beer in hand, the buzz had been all about Joe’s Big Chance.

“He wrecked it.” The roommate told me. “It was like if you give a kid a kitten and the loves it so much that he squeezes really hard and strangles it. Joe totally strangled the kitten.”

“In one night?!” I pressed.

“Oh, yeah. She was gone before the sun came up. I guess he started asking her it meant that she’d stayed with him, and talking about having a long distance relationship, and he just freaked her out and she took off.”

Skittish animals and tentative emotions need space and time to calm, settle and maybe take root. When you’re lucky enough to have a soft, purring kitten on your lap, remember that you can love it without having to name it, own it or squeeze it to death.

P.S. If you feel like it, please add the best love-related advice you’ve gotten in the comments. You never know who you might help…………

Online Dating Advice for Men. ~ with Love, Women Everywhere

The Best Marriage Advice from a Divorced Man.

How to Make Love to Yourself.

Want 15 free additional reads weekly, just our best?

Get our weekly newsletter.

Ed: Bryonie Wise

Photo: Randy Heinitz, Flickr

Relephant bonus: Maitri.

What to look for in a partner:

Practical tips:

A Buddhist couple’s relationship with Money:

About Ann Nichols

Ann Nichols has been everything from a cellist to a lawyer, and is currently a Buddhist who gets paid to cook at a Protestant church. She lives in a 100-year old house in Michigan with her husband, her son and an improbable number of animals. You can hang out with her by joining the Facebook group “Metta-Morphosis.”

98 Responses to “The Best Advice I Ever Got About Love.”

1. Cassandra says:

This was a great piece and, after years of heartbreak, clinging, and some dark, desperate and intense emotions, I am finally learning this lesson – of loving myself, loving my life, having my space, enjoying time with myself and who I am, and, consequently, letting go and simply being happy about what I give and get. It is certainly a hard lesson but the sooner you stop putting pressure on things and start living your own life without sensing the need for validation through love, the better you will feel. Thank you so much for this article. I will come back to it time and time again to reread it.

2. Yash says:

Don't fall in Love. Rise in Love.

No expectations.

No fear.

3. Sheila says:

I LOVED this article. Timely and helpful.

4. Kendra says:

This is great! There were many times in my last ‘relationship’ where I found myself wondering why he wasn’t calling or getting angry with him for not being who I wanted. The best thing I found in those moments of frustration anger and sadness was to stop and find the fear and address it as irrational. Boundaries helped too! We teach others how to treat us and even those with the best intentions may unknowingly take advantage of someone with loose boundaries.

5. Dina says:

Thanks a lot, I really needed to read this now

6. Ginny says:

I could have used this two months ago!!! XD However, it’s excellent advice. Spot on. One of the best things I ever learned was that love cannot speak until self is silenced. Also, when that guy/girl gives a hint that they want to hang out with you, don’t get scared and make up stupid excuses. Don’t freak over what you’re friends and family might say. And kids, don’t even start thinking about your parents reaction, whether it’s embarrassing or not. Just accept that they want to spend time with you and go on the damn date!

However, if you do freak out and stay home (like I did), make sure you have a damn good reason (like I didn’t). One of the worst things to deal with is the inevitable andhorrible “What if…”

7. caitlin says:

Never be afraid to break your own heart. Be that getting into or out of a relationship. Be honest first with yourself, along with those around you. You are your own entity. Lastly, don’t promise forever: promise every individual day.

8. jelenalakic says:

Hahaha Brilliant & Thank you! xx

9. leslie says:

Brilliant. Hugely awesome and serious wisdom. Please, please write more! This is a must-print..thank you!xoxo

10. Divinehuntress says:

I always thought that they owed me an explanation or that they have the path for closure. I tried to catch the bus when I was running late and so many times fell flat on my face. I didn't realize that another bus will stop later on and perhaps less crowded. Letting go felt like giving up, so I cling to anything that seem like a possibility while loosing myself in the process.
    Now I understand that letting go is gaining something within myself; wether it is strength, independence, or space for someone that fits my life better. Sometimes better is just me standing still looking at the horizon feeling at peace. If someone doesn't want to be around, just let them go. Just thank them for helping you be a better person and keep moving to the unknown.

11. Victoria says:

Thank you for this beautiful advice-the timing is perfect! Your words were like a wise friend talking me off the ledge….have fun on the ledge- who cares if someone’s with you or not?

12. Wendy says:

If you have your own interests, and are happy by yourself, you are more interesting. If you have to check in with them every day, it’s not a relationship, it’s a dependency.

13. Maria says:

Brilliant great advice!! Thank you

14. Natasha says:

Something I really needed to read. Now I just hope I can learn to live like this and let go. For good.

15. ldirk says:

People want what they cant have. I don't mean you should play games with others feelings. But, the truth is everyone likes a chase, females and males alike. Don't give your self away so fast. Be a bit reserved.

16. teri myrick says:

Just remember, if they want you or want to be with you there is nothing, nobody, or any excuse that will stop you from being there a (if they want u, u will be there.) The I got to work tomorrows or its so late though or I have family in, just won’t be enough from keeping you away…

17. Cal says:

Best advise I ever got on love was….no matter how badly you want something to be, it will only be if it's meant for you! So I like light and breezy, and don't strangle the kitten, they are both great little slices of wisdom :) thank you.

18. Nae says:

Let your heart dance in the awe of excitment, let your body be grounded and choose the person to open your doors slowly. Use caution while opening. When the yellow blinking lights go out and it’s safe, just be you. Even if you get a bit neurotic at times, depressed or whatever…the right person will love you all the more. Be you all the time, it’s enough for someone. :)

19. marjorie says:

always be grateful, the moment you expect love, is the moment you’ll lose it.

20. Dawn Klemm says:

Someone wise told me after a horrific break-up, “if he tells you he is not good enough, he will do everything in his power to prove that’s true. Believe him the first time he says it…walk away.”

21. Patricia says:

I really, really wish I would have read this article few months ago…Actually have reminded myself how crucial is to keep light and breezy when getting to know someone. I think all would have taken a different direction, and I wouldn’t have to be dealing now with the feeling of frustration and regret in my mind….always living and learning.

22. Daithi says:

A woman told me a few years ago ‘ what men don’t seem to understand is you can’t talk a girl into fancying you but you sure can talk her out of it’ and as she said it most of my teenage years flashed into my mind !

23. Bill Sullivan says:

Thank you for the article. The timing is perfect for me as I pretty much think I was strangling the cat. As I sit here hoping from text from my lady friend, I realize that I’ve been trying to hard, and believe that my happiness hangs on everything about her. I have to try the breezy thing. I just received my text that she is ok at her destination. This article was enlightening to me. Thank you!