Via on Jun 3, 2014

Found a letter with “Read Me” written on it at San Francisco International Airport on an empty chair.

Sometimes, messages from strangers are the most powerful—especially when they remind us that we are not alone.

“I recently left an emotionally abusive relationship. After months of insults I won’t repeat, false accusations, lies, delusions, broken mirrors, nightly battles…I left. I knew that I was being poisoned by each day that I stayed. So with a heavy heart, I left my love of three years, knowing that I had already put it off too long. At first he begged, then he cursed, but eventually he packed his bags and faded out of my life like a bad dream.

For the first few weeks, my body seemed to reject this. For three years I had seen the world through him & colored glasses. I didn’t know who I was without him. Despite the kindness of friends and even strangers, I could not help feeling utterly alone.

But it was this sense of aloneness that set me free. Somewhere along the way, I let go. I released all of the painful memories, the names he had called me, the shards of him buried deep in my brain. I stopped believing the things he had made me think about myself. I began to see how extraordinarily, breathtakingly beautiful life is. I meditated, drank too much coffee, talked to strangers, laughed at nothing. I wrote poetry and stopped to smell and photograph every flower. Once I discovered that my happiness depended only on myself, nothing could hurt me anymore.

I have found—and continue to find—peace. Each day I am closer to it than I was yesterday. I am a work in progress but I am full to the brim with gratitude and joy.

And so, since I have opened a new chapter in my life, I want to peacefully part with the contents of the last chapter. The end of my relationship was the catalyst for a wealth of positive changes in my life. It was a symbol. Most importantly, it was an act of self-love. It was a realization [...] do not help me grow, I am letting go of a relic from the painful past.

I wore this necklace—a gift from him—every day for over two years. To me, letting go is a joyous declaration that I am moving forward with strength and grace and deep, lasting peace.

Please accept this gift as a reminder that we all deserve happiness. Whoever you are, and whatever pain you have faced, I hope you find peace.

Namaste,

Jamie.”

~

Relephant read:

Letter From My Husband: We Have 15 Years to Live.

“Students wrote to their favorite authors asking them to visit. Kurt Vonnegut was the only one who responded, writing this beautiful & humorous letter.”

~

Love elephant and want to go steady?

Sign up for our (curated) daily and weekly newsletters!

Editor: Cat Beekmans

Photo: Imgur.com, Reddit

About Emily Bartran

Emily Bartran is a reader, writer, and relentless inspiration-seeker. She believes that the world is best felt under bare feet and that thunderstorms are an underrated phenomena. She believes that the Earth is meant for exploring, life is meant for loving, and words are meant for sharing. Over-thinking is one of her favorite pastimes, and she would find it ideal to be able to make a living doing so. Check out her mind in photo form on Instagram.

9 Responses to ““Found a letter with ‘Read Me’ written on it at San Francisco International Airport on an empty chair.””

1. mylie says:

(^_^)

2. hevanss says:

What a strong woman. Thank you for sharing her story.

3. Jackie says:

Yes, yes and yes!

4. Val says:

This story by … is huge for me. Although my situation was not with physical abuse, nor did it last this long, it was heading into a dark quagmire where I did not intend on dwelling. The rest of her story rings painfully true. The inability to believe in my Love for him, the extreme changes in personality, the 'keeping' my 'backups' for when I would inevitably leave him, verbal and emotional battering, and after I left, the killing withdrawal from the physical affection, which up until I left was plentiful and, oddly enough, very Loving. Then for a few years after, the haunting names and accusations, the seeing the world through his eyes. His random communications throughout the following 4 years wrought with pain, anger, yearning, and spattered occasionally with a cruel indifference. Seeing my own failings – past and present – through his eyes. The debilitating guilt that I did not know where his demons came from, until well after I left. That I could have or should have, as he requested, remained in his life. Having great doubt of his ability to sustain a relationship it would have required me to sacrifice myself to help him through. I did not even know 'what' I would be helping him through since his ability to trust and communicate was so stunted. But after leaving Colorado I dug deep to understand. Even so, after knowing him, I truly began to wonder if demonic possession and transference were possible. Crazy, huh?

Wow…. I am letting you go, my Darlin. I am so sorry that you could not be present for me for I Loved you so there in the 4 corners of Colorado. I will be sending those 'demons' back to hell. If you did not pass them all to me then I hope you send the ones you kept back to whence they came and find your center of peace.

'Love story horror' over.

Thank you, Emily. I needed this.

5. bhx taxi says:

This is such a abundant ability that you are accouterment and you accord it abroad for free. I adore seeing websites that acquire the amount of accouterment a prime ability for free. I in fact admired account your post.

6. Kristen says:

Beauty is all around us. :)

I hope this helps, I was able to make out the part of the letter that was covered up by the chain of the necklace. Here is that part: "It was a realization that I deserved to be happy and I could choose to be. And so, in an effort to leave behind the things that do not help me grow, I am letting go of a relic from the painful past."

7. jonathan says:

this made me feel. thank you~

8. seanmaac@hotmail.ca says:

I share with you in your depiction of a time in you life. I too have found myself asleep in the same situation. I describe it as that, in that I was not aware of what was happening to me. Your gratitude comes from being awakened from that state of being. I too have found my way there…I think we all do in our growth and realization of well-being. Embrace all that you have all that you are and all that you are becoming! Even if you think you are there…there is so much more to come. Don't hesitate anymore….that stage of your life was a hesitation but necessary for you to learn and grow :) Bless the life you have seen, relish in the joy of your life now and break free of the life that is yet to come………it's a beautiful, beautiful life!! xoxo

9. Aditya says:

Thanks for sharing this. :)