5 Types of Soulmates We’ll Meet & Love in Our Lifetimes.

Via on Feb 15, 2016

holding hands

“Important encounters are planned by the souls long before the bodies meet each other.” ~ Paul Coelho

Most of us have met many different soulmates in our lifetime. All of them are deeply meaningful, intensely connective and profoundly impactful on our lives.

Some soulmates stay around forever and some leave more quickly than we want them to. What some of us have a difficult time with is feeling that deep, soulful connection with another and then having to go through the process of accepting that their purpose in our lives has been served and it’s time to let them go.

Not all soulmates are made of the feel good “we fell in love the moment our eyes met and are going to love each other till the end of time” kind. There are many other types of soulmates, ones who come in solely for the purpose of teaching us something, some to break apart our life and redirect us to somewhere different and some who pass us for the briefest of moments, yet tug on our hearts as if we’ve known them a lifetime.

These are some of the soulmates I’ve encountered in mine (except the last one), all of them captivating, memorable and absolutely necessary to my soul’s growth:

1) Friendship Soulmate

Sometimes we meet a person and just click from the moment we lay eyes on each other. It’s as if we’ve known them our entire life, even if we’ve only known them a few minutes.

You tell each other everything. You could talk to this person for hours on end and never get bored. You share everything about yourself and they don’t judge you. These types of soulmates actually know you better than you know yourself, which is why they are extremely important in your life. They “get you” in ways nobody else does and help you navigate your way through all of life’s trials and triumphs.

The friendship soulmate is a gift and one you should treasure your entire life. Because they are here to stay.

2) The Wrecking Ball Soulmate

“Soulmates aren’t the ones who make you happiest, no. They’re instead the ones who make you feel the most. Burning edges and scars and stars. Old pains and pangs, captivation and beauty. Strain and shadows and worry and yearning. Sweetness and madness and dreamlike surrender. They hurl you into the abyss. They taste like hope.” ~ Victoria Erickson

This soulmate is not somebody that comes into our life peacefully. They enter in to shake things up. They challenge us and make us question everything we thought we knew about life. There is a clear “before them” and “after them” distinction when we look back on our lives and realize that we are now a completely different person than the day we met them.

This type of soulmate can come in many forms but it’s normally a romantic relationship that leaves us feeling as if we’ve been swept up like a tornado, taken for the ride of our life, and then dumped from the sky with no warning in an exhausted, tailspun heap.

Despite feeling like we don’t know what the hell happened since the ride was so fun when it first started, the beauty of this type of soulmate is that like a tornado hitting and leaving mass wreckage behind, we’re forced to rebuild from the ground up and can now make our new home (US) anything we want.

And most people rebuild something completely different and way more beautiful than what existed before.

3) The Lover/Affair Soulmate

These people don’t stay in our lives forever, but they come in as a lover and typically take on the form of a really beautiful relationship for a period of time. They might be our first love, an affair we had while being with someone else, or simply a lover who we had a no-strings-attached unconventional relationship with.

These soulmates are meant to be in our lives for a certain period of time to teach us about ourselves and other important lessons that will be poignant and meaningful down the road. Typically these types of relationships don’t start off with that “instant connection, butterflies in the stomach” feeling that we think we should feel with a potential partner, but over time it builds and the relationship turns into something serious and meaningful.

Soulmates like this often stay on good terms and become friends after their relationship ends, both realizing and acknowledging how much the other person taught them. Therefore that “soul connection” lasts a lifetime even though the romantic love portion of the dynamic fades.

4) Complete Stranger Soulmate

This is always a very brief encounter with somebody you don’t know. It might be the person you sat next to on a flight for a few hours, someone you meet and spend time with one evening at a party, or as brief as a stranger whose eyes yours meet on the street and you exchange just a few words with.

Typically the feeling is, “Oh! I recognize you!” Almost as if you’ve seen them before and are remembering them but can’t place where. If you believe in past lives, it’s typically because you are recognizing them as someone who truly is from your past.

The exchange is brief but intimate. They normally say something that you need to hear in that moment, validate something that you’ve been feeling or push you in a direction you need to go but are afraid. You know in the depths of your soul the encounter meant something even though you never see them again.

5) Divine Love Soulmate:

“You felt familiar the moment I met you. A lovely sort of déjà vu. When we spoke or laughed or danced I became overwhelmed by the powerful sensation that I had been here before. And when we kissed I felt the energies of a thousand lives on our lips, like our souls had known each other all along.” ~ Beau Taplin

This is the soulmate that every one of us desires to have. And if we’re lucky enough, we will meet them and live out the rest of our days on this earth together.

They encompass all of the above… the familiarity, the feeling of having known them for an entire lifetime moments after meeting them, the intense bond and connection that never goes away, the deep friendship, and the extraordinary, enchanted, deep-seated love.

May all of us have the good fortune of coming together with this person at some point in our lives. (I’m still waiting)!

“When you meet one of your soulmates, whether it be for five minutes, five hours, five months, five years or a lifetime, let the connection be what it is. This way, if it stays or if it leaves, you will be softer from having been loved this authentically. Let them be who and what they are meant to be.” ~ From the website “I love my LSI”

Relephant Reads:

Don’t Miss Your Soul Mate Flags. ~ Grace Cooley

Your Soulmate Isn’t Who You Think It Is.

Bonus video:

Author: Dina Strada

Editor: Renée Picard

Image: Redd Angelo/Unsplash

About Dina Strada

Dina Strada is an Event Planner, writer and Intuitive Counselor and Coach, passionate about helping others to connect with their true selves and live their soul’s purpose. A graduate of Boston College and Coach U, she’s a recovering perfectionist, mom to two spunky small people, and still a Jersey Girl at heart. To quiet the chaos that goes on in her overachieving head, she practices yoga and meditation daily, breaks out in spontaneous dance moves and drinks lots of red wine. She also writes for Huffington Post, Tiny Buddah, Chopra.com & The Manifestation Station. You can connect with Dina via her website, follow her on Facebook, or read more of her writing on her blog, Powerthrusister.

Comments

8 Responses to “5 Types of Soulmates We’ll Meet & Love in Our Lifetimes.”

1. Emily Gordon says:

So beautifully true.

2. Todd says:

Do you feel that one person can be more than one type of soul mate? Or shift from one type to another?

3. Ally says:

Thank you for your beautiful article. I myself have had the privilege of meeting my divine love soulmate, I spent 15 years with him until he passed away tragically. I have met a new soul mate, the wrecking ball type I think, who makes me feel things to extreme. It’s like I’ve been broken open. It is quite difficult to comprehend how love can feel so amazingly deep and different with different people but it does.

4. Mark says:

Sometimes you meet one, fall in love, over time it doesn’t work for reasons beyond your control. Then, 30+ years later they come roaring back into your life and you’ll never be the same.

5. Anna says:

Thank you, you answered all my question which I always had in the back of my head.
    Dina
    Thank you again for being an amazing person and writing this beautiful article .

6. Kat says:

After a 8 year dating hiatus, it’s sks I’ve been encountering t life lives/soul mates. It’s like I’m in this spiritual life lesson growth cycle with soul mates or past life loves.

The first one we talked online for years and decided to met up. It was like meeting a old friend. I was left with this incredible sensation in my heart chakra it was overwhelming. Butterflies in stomach just incredibe. The second time err got together I seen all my past relationships in one swoop. A repeating pattern of myself that I wasnt aware of until that moment. I was at the same place I was before my 8 year hiatus. I stop talking to him but.for months had to deal with the energy in my heart chakra.

The second one was shy recluse and I brought him out and scared him also. He told me many times he didn’t want to be with me but the connection we had I felt that I’ve found my soul mate. I would not give up because the energy I felt just to be near him. He acknowledged that we had a connection to each other but he has no knowledge of anything beyond the matrix so to speak. There was another women he was dating now and I seen them together. Dreams revealed to me that this was not the first time he was with both of us. At least in two past life times. It’s funny because me and the other women have this connection to each other till this day. It’s probably our love for him bonded all 3 of us. . I don’t know. We both check on him because we love him although we all moved on. Love and a soul connection is not everything. The person, where they are, mentally where they are matters allot. That’s what I learned. He learned to open up to be loved.

The third one we just felt like old friends from day one.and we still are. We have such a strong connection to each other that we’ve tried to stay away from each other but can’t. This happens when we feel our emotions and physical.attraction can’t be controled. We both know that any relationship we have beyond friends would be toxic. He denies himself of me to protect me from himself because he is honest about his issues and what he does. That’s love and protect. He’s tried to push me away only to come back. The connection is so strong. He has deep rooted issues and abilities. I respect and know we must stay just friends but I feel one day his emotions are going to burst open like a volcano because he is right minded, logical, black and white unemotional. They spurt randomly here and there. Also another past life love. We’ve lived together not married or a very loving relationship, just a cohabitating love patnership as my dreams revealed. I’ve only felt the soul energy between us a few times and it’s the strongest and most powerful I’ve felt so far.. He’s felt me but he has not acknowledge anything yet. I think things like that were shut down by his family as a child. He has abilities that have been buried and may even caused him psychological problems..

Meanwhile during our friendship, I met someone and first eye contact was surreal. A few weeks later after met him he told me that I knew when I met you , you were gonna change my life. I had no clue to what he meant. In one and half year it seem we went through a lifetime. No past life here. He is the only one I can really put in 2 categories in this article. Friendship/Lover Affair. Totally bare soul communication to psychic connection between us. We mirrored and thought alike so much that we call each other twin. He has no idea what a twin flame is or any of this. He connected to me first and knew of our bond first. In all that we went through he grew spiritually. like the seed was broken open for his true divine self to come out in the world and his grandiose ego to wither. He got in touch with his intuitionand foresight( his abilities). For me it was to value and truly love myself not others more than me. It got to a point where the flame blew out and we were just there not growing together anymore. Now I found myself wiser in knowing that our lesson was done, he was not the one forever one( well not at this time in our lives) and it was time to let go. We honor our bond our love. Our truth. We check in with each other time to time. We moved on.

So I still have a past life love” the friend ” that looks like this is gonna take a long while to accomplish what our souls need to do together. I’m leaving that to God in his time.

Then there a new one that claimed day one that we had a connection. I will admit I felt immediately so comfortable with him and could even see myself with him (we were dancing when I had that thought and he kissed me. He said it was the way I was looking at him it made him melt idk). I don’t know about this one yet. We haven’t been able together because of life circumstances but he has come to my life during some very difficult times for me and has been that emotional support I’ve always needed. Who knows, time will reveal. Here’s.something.funny there.signs have been Pisces, Aquarius, Virgo, Virgo,Virgo. What a journey. It’s not easy but learning is the key not wanting. Let go of want

7. Penel says:

I think that I met the Complete Stranger soulmate, when I met H.H. The Dalai Lama totally ny accident. I was working in Birks Jewellers in The Toronto Eaton Centre in 1980, and he came into the store. He came up to me, and it felt like meeting someone that I knew. Really made me feel very wonderful.

I have always been spiritual, but am not famous for it! I dedicated and sent my children’s book to him, and was told that he put it into his personal library. Seems like he remembers meeting me, too.

8. Jen says:

Great article. Thank you for sharing it… I spent almost ten full years with the wrecking ball. I sank to the lowest depths of despair. I was so completely different before him. And now, after 5 yrs away from him, my life truly is more beautiful than I could have imagined. And I've connected with my divine love. He is my best friend, my confidante, my lover, my moral compass, everything. I always feel him. I can feel his moods shift. We can talk about anything. He's 20 years older than I, but a more solid and deeper connection I've never imagined. I've know him so many times, in so many lives. And I am so incredibly grateful to have found him in this life.