I knew the next time that I got pregnant; I would have to deal with ignorant comments about my growing belly. During my first pregnancy, absolute strangers who wanted to know all the details about my blossoming baby bump fascinated me. At first, I welcomed the questions, until they started to become insults. I was so appalled by some of the comments that I decided to keep track of the worst insults that can be directed to a pregnant woman.
1. Is your due date tomorrow?
2. From your husband or significant other, “Babe, can you cook me something to eat?”
3. Is that a linebacker in your belly?
4. Lady, are you packing twins?
5. You should hold off on the fries, because your baby doesn’t need anything else to eat.
6. What are you eating now? Geez, you sure do eat a lot.
7. Are you pregnant again? Every time I turn around you’re knocked up!
8. Your ultrasound looks like an alien.
9. You’ve got a big head. Your delivery is going to hurt!
10. You’re about to bust! (When in actuality, you are only 5 months pregnant, with one child in utero).
There are over 80 million moms in the United States. Instead of saying something that may land you in the “hot seat,” try to say something in a more positive way. For example, “Congratulations, you look really great!” Or try, “You’re glowing and look so good!” Instead of being an annoying baby bump gawker, please turn your harsh ridicule into positive affirmations. This will not only protect your feelings from being hurt, but will also shower joy upon a woman who has to carry a child for 9 months, and most likely deal with other people’s inappropriate comments.
Version of article published in Southwest Parenting Magazine.
hot on elephant
A letter to the Anger that refuses to Leave Me. 120 shares The Most Powerful Moon of the Year: New Moon & Solar Eclipse in Pisces. 47,402 shares A Relationship will only be as Good as the Sex. 10,580 shares Welcome to Pisces Season: A Love there is no Coming Back From. 13,126 shares How Women ruin Good Men. 4,171 shares If You have to “Think About It,” then I’m Not the One for You. 4,908 shares What Rumi had to Say about Unhappy Love. 245 shares If You Love an Intuitive, Old-Soul Pisces, Read This. 3,475 shares Not sure I thought I’d ever say this, but Ashton Kutcher is about to inspire you to tears. 2,300 shares How we can go to Heaven without Dragging Others with Us. 123 shares