Becoming a Carnivore—5 Reasons To Start Eating Meat in 2012!

Via Jamie Ginsberg
on Dec 31, 2011
get elephant's newsletter

What pushed me over the edge this week? It started with a recent commitment by Waylon Lewis to go vegan for a year.

Parker Bean as Photographed by Simone Jowell (Vegan) of Cleveland Groove.

Yes, it is a New Year’s Resolution and a particularly extreme one (makes doing yoga six times a week seem relatively easy).

The argumentative rebel side of me bristled just thinking about Waylon getting 500 people to comment pressure/support him into being vegan. “Anything for web traffic” I snickered (although this type of year challenge is one of the reasons I like Waylon).

[ed’s note: I stated several times that I wanted to make a big stink about going vegan, not make a merely private decision, in hopes that my decision would inspire others to consider their diet. Whether we all go vegan or not isn’t my business, but getting all of us to be more mindful…was my goal. You can read my reasoning here. I tied it to comments, not views, for that reason. All that said, yes, it’s my business to connect with readers, so I’m fine with our site reaching 900,000 unique viewers a month, boom! ~ Ed.)

On my mat yesterday with one of my favorite yoga teachers, Parker Bean talking about extreme resolutions people make for New Years, I looked at my reflection in the pool of sweat on my flat black lululemon mat. Staring at myself in low plank with muscles gently shaking, I saw someone who wants to lose the battle against moderation, a rebel in the yoga world who with the transition between Low Plank and Upward Dog made the decision to eat meat in 2012. As I exhaled into Downward Dog, I smiled, deciding to eat meat again was strangely liberating.

Something about Vegans always irritates me, oh right…Cheese. It is my achilles heal. I can go weeks at a time eating a veganesque diet and cheese shows up and takes me out. The honey thing irritates me also, because I love the sweet side of life and I don’t really think of bees as being harmed in the production of honey. A conversation with my friends at Breathe Yoga, where they have an incredible kitchen and serve amazing food really started me moving towards eating meat again. They serve all locally sourced food at Breathe Yoga and the combination of delicious food and an inspired approach to the dirtiest word in the English language, MODERATION. The concept of knowing where my food comes from is very attractive to me and far sexier than how many calories or how much fat is in my food. 2012 is the year of where, not what…it is the year of sexy and dirty, not pious restraint and control…2012 is the year of being comfortable, even when life is messy.

I was a vegetarian for the last 8 or 9 years and today is my last day. I am returning to being a carnivore in 2012. It has been brewing inside of me for the last year or so and a series of events over the last year have inspired me to get over myself and eat meat. This last run as a vegetarian started as a political protest to Mad Cow, angered by the government cover-up of Mad Cow in America, I decided to use my buying power as a small but effective protest against the meat industry. Along the way I became a yogi and slowly started to reduce my impact on the planet. The ideas of Sharon Gannon particularly resonated with me (Get her book on Yoga and Vegetarianism)and her definition of “doing the least harm possible.” I am still committed to this and will continue to integrate this philosophy into my yoga/life. The movie Food Inc. reminded me that every time I spend a dollar, I am voting on where our food comes from. I am ready to start voting local.

Looking at the vegan chicken salad, vegan pizza and vegan frozen chicken sticks at whole foods yesterday after yoga, I laughed out loud (yes, I know this is a sign of craziness-but so is spending your Friday lunch sweating on and with 65 people at Cleveland Yoga). Is eating random soy products from who knows where any better than eating a hamburger made from a cow raised by a local farmer? No, I will not be ordering pepperoni pizza from random pizza place. Yes, I will be picking up sausage at my local farmer’s market for when I make pizza in 2012. It is not easy to get local meat, but it is my new way of living.

5 Reasons To Start Eating Meat In 2012

1. I love eating meat, it is delicious. We eat 3 times a day, this is way too much not to indulge in and truly enjoy the process. Just thinking about a bacon blue cheese burger gets me kind of excited. Live a life of love and enjoy what you eat along the way.
  2. Good-bye random soy products, hello locally sourced meat. Knowing where my meat comes from is a compromise that I am going to try living with. Instead of being a vegetarian or a vegan, I am labeling myself a locavore.
  3. Supporting a local farmer is a great thing to do. Farmers come in all shapes and sizes, some do vegetables and some do meat. I am going to meet the meat – slow my life down enough to meet the farmers who raise the meat and understand where my food is coming from this year. Your Organic BlueBerries from Chile are more damaging to the planet than my steak from the local farm. I think.
  4. You can be even more high maintenance at restaurants. Instead of asking if there is chicken stock in the soup, I will now ask where the chickens were raised that was used in the chicken stock. I will send the waiter back to ask the chef if the hamburger meat is from the same farm as the steak and if it was a grass fed cow.
  5. More Sex – Maybe Even Better Sex. This is going to take some research, but if it is true, I think a lot of vegans and vegetarians are going to start eating meat.

Seriously, you are not any more of a yogi if you are a vegan or if you give away all of your worldly goods and go meditate on a mountain in India. You are a great yogi when you are concious, when you live with your eyes wide open, when you have a choice and you make a decision based in kindness. Next time  you look down at your mat and see yourself reflected in a pool of sweat, I hope you smile and love the person you see looking back at you. In 2012, my resolution is to eat locally sourced meat. I will also share a lot more articles with you on how to share yoga with more people as well as what I learn about meat and farmers along the way. Namaste!

Parker Bean as Photographed by Simone Jowell (Vegan) of Cleveland Groove

About Jamie Ginsberg

Jamie Ginsberg is a yoga teacher and the co-founder of Marin Power Yoga. He is a technology and education evangelist focused on using the social web to increase interaction and engagement. Jamie is a yogi (200 hour teacher training at Cleveland Yoga and Level 1 & Level 2 with Baron Baptiste) and has shot and produced videos and photography for Baron Baptiste, Yoga Journal Conferences and yoga studios across the United States. Jamie’s expertise is a rare blend of creative, business, legal and technology. Jamie has a Bachelor of Arts in Communications from the The University of Michigan and a Juris Doctorate from The Cleveland-Marshall School of Law. Link to Jamie here and like him on Facebook.

Comments

136 Responses to “Becoming a Carnivore—5 Reasons To Start Eating Meat in 2012!”

1. Haha! Love it Jamie! The title alone made me laugh out loud! I am also a locavore…just one that doesn't eat meat, and after today, doesn't eat any animal products at all. Good luck!

2. MarySol says:

Hopefully you were writing this "tongue in cheek" but if you were serious you may want to examine some of the Vedic texts of India, from which most yoga systems draw their roots. A lot of information regarding karma and karmic reactions is explained there. Generally, the vedic emphasis on vegetarianism is not only health related. It also points out the very heavy Karmic burden that the eating of flesh foods can cause for an individual who chooses to eat meat. We choose our activities but the results come according to the karmic laws. At least that is how yogis of long ago presented it in their teachings.
    All the best for the new year!

3. hya says:

"Is eating random soy products from who knows where any better than eating a hamburger made from a cow raised by a local farmer?" Erm, apples and oranges? One involves a killing, the other one doesn't? If all you cared about is local as you claim, you could have found local vegan produce.
    Wasn't aware that yogis engage in sophism these days! 😀

4. greenbless says:

Not to defend a diet of animal products which has been proven to have many ill health effects on the body and disease pathology, *and* not environmentally sustainable the way BigAg seems to do it; However, sacred, ancient Ayurvedic texts discuss Dosha appropriate diets. There are many Vata predominant types where cheese, dairy and rich meats are strongly recommended. Yoga is a limb of Ayurveda. Every human must decide their own Karma with their world.

5. Valerie Carruthers says:

One of the most powerful things about doing Yoga is that you never know when it's gonna show you something about yourself that's not spiritually or politically correct and that's still something you just gotta do because the journey is yours and yours only.

Wanted to mention a couple of points.

It's said that the original reason meat eating was proscribed against in the scriptures was to stop the wholesale slaughter of animals for ritual sacrifice.

Another reason that meat was frowned on by the ancient seers is the digestive burden it creates for many people who plunge into serious practices of asana and meditation. In Ayurvedic terms, we aren't just what we eat—we are what we digest and assimilate. Anyone who's attempted a twist or solar plexus lock (uddiyana bandha) within an hour of chowing down on that blue cheese burger knows what I mean. Practices such as Yoga, meditation and chanting require a certain lightness in the body. So locavore, carnivore, omnivore, vegavore, whatevervore—the first thing is to take care of your digestion.

Ultimately, whatever dietary path we choose, it comes down to eating with humility, gratiitude, respect, reverence and love.

Keep us posted on how your progress, Jamie!

6. deleted3199113 says:

For me, veganism is about health and reducing harm. Notice I said reducing, because it is impossible to live on this planet and "do no harm". I don't agree with many of the authors points/opinions in the article. IMO, veganism is the best way to reduce harm.

But it does appear that the author will be eating only local and ethically raised livestock. Because of that, the author is doing much less harm than the majority of people who eat animals. I'm not sure a vegan inspired pile on is warranted in this case.

7. dan says:

5 Reasons To Start Eating Dessert For Every Meal In 2012

1. I love eating dessert, it is delicious. We eat 3 times a day, this is way too much not to indulge in and truly enjoy the process. Just thinking about a cinnamon brown butter breakfast puff gets me kind of excited. Live a life of love and enjoy what you eat along the way.
    2. Good-bye random soy products, hello homemade food. Knowing where my food comes from is a compromise that I am going to try living with. Instead of being a consumer, I am labeling myself a human.
    3. Supporting businesses and farmers is a great thing to do. People selling stuff come in all shapes and sizes, some do vegetables and some even do desserts. [here i break the joke and say that the author is not "going to meet the meat" by meeting farmers, and that the ecological impact of imported foods vs. the open- free- etc. leans toward veg being slighlty less impactful, though of course if you want to keep dollars local, that is another priority entirely. Digging up/remembering sources takes way longer than making this joke. :)]
    4. You can be even more high maintenance at restaurants. Instead of asking if there is something actually good to eat, I will now ask where the wheat used for the pastries was grown. I will send the waiter back to ask the chef if the sugar is organic, and if the vanilla was harvested using slave labor.
    5. More Sex – Maybe Even Better Sex. This entirely unfounded claim is going to take some research, but if it is true, I think a lot of humans are going to start eating dessert.

8. Kate – I will pray for you!!! Seriously, the best of luck with this year…I hope my "research" proves you wrong!!!

9. Mary – I do worry about my karma, I also encourage you to break the law, even the karmic laws!!! When I look at the balance in the world, I see vegetable farmers causing just as much harm as meat farmers. Take the past and own its relevance today!!! Meaning, if you are mindful of what you eat and appreciate the source, how much more can we ask of you?

10. Yes, each body and mind must find their harmony with eating…I am unfortunately way too Vata!!!

11. Hmmmm. clarify how you are using sophism? Clearly, you see I care about more than simply local. But please come to Cleveland Ohio and experience our local vegetation for the next few months!!! The killing is never as simple as it is to say, which is why I reference Sharon's text and approach which is easy to understand. Yogis are a pretty diverse group and I am just one yogi…who will always encourage people to experiment and explore!

12. Mike, I love that you even said "vegan inspire pile on!" I agree with and appreciate the least harm approach. The years of being a vegetarian have not been good to my body, personal harm has been rough – I am a fat vegetarian. Meat has always been processed easily by my body. The larger issue has been with my son who actually vomits when he eats vegetables and lives on meat and cheese. I am hoping that by becoming a more concious consumer with meat I will have a positive impact on the choices he makes.

13. MarySol says:

Maybe Jamie, if we synthesise our views, eat vegetarian foods grown by local organic farmers and calm your vata dosa with animal protein in the form of milk products from protected cows who will never be slaughtered, we could strike a happy balance between vegetarians, vegans and localtarians (side step some karmic footprints too)!

14. Valerie – I LOVE it!!! Every day the ego is our greatest enemy I am committed to the word respect and will approach this experience with care for myself an others. I will still avoid eating before yoga and will pay attention to the odor of my sweat!!!
    Thanks for reading and commenting!

15. Thanks Kate, I aspire to be the locavore this year!!! I am not a big ice-cream eater, but I will make a point of enjoying some Ben & Jerry's for the 2 of you!!!

16. I like that balance…it is very concious and open!!! I will see how this year goes, at the very least that will be my footprint for most of my eating!!!

17. Dan…You may be on to something BIG here. If the local meat thing doesn't work out…I am looking at your plan first!!! My guess is #5 will work out for you, Eating Dessert instead of meals is HOT!!!

18. I like it. I worked with a farmer for seven years on her tiny chicken farm where I helped to humanely slaughter, pluck and butcher those birds. The great thing about the whole deal was this: People who would have normally paid for conventionally raised birds switched to her birds, thus preventing about 600 horrible commercially raised chicken tragedies every year. Those chickens were happy, well cared for, adorable and delicious!

19. Mariy says:

It's fine if you enjoyed slaughtering chickens but I assure you they were not "happy" or felt "well cared for" while experiencing the slaughter…

20. NotaSundayYogi says:

So by engaging in a lot less ahimsa toward other beings, and toward your own body…. what exactly are you planning on accomplishing? More sensual pleasure? Is that your real idea of yoga? Sounds like plain stretching.. Best of luck.

21. kiely says:

it isn't a "pile on" but your "reasons" aren't reasoned … they are statements and preferences (i like it? better sex? being an ass at restaurants?) for the most part. OK, there was one near reason but i would like to see your evidence for the blueberries vs. beef argument. is this a carbon footprint thinghy… based on a per calorie/mile or a weight/mile scale?

22. kiki says:

Being vegan is not a fad nor a requirement, it is about non-violence and respect for sentient beings. Murder is murder.

23. elephantjournal says:

Jamie, you've probs seen it, but here's Kate's and I's first journal entry re going vegan: http://www.elephantjournal.com/2011/12/the-weekly

24. kiki says:

And how about being "conscious" of how you treat your waiter and restaurant staff?
    "You can be even more high maintenance at restaurants. Instead of asking if there is chicken stock in the soup, I will now ask where the chickens were raised that was used in the chicken stock. I will send the waiter back to ask the chef if the hamburger meat is from the same farm as the steak and if it was a grass fed cow."
    How very "yogic" of you.

25. elephantjournal says:

But vegans fly in planes and drive cars…which quite directly causes animal death. Connect the dots. I'm going vegan this year because I hope to cause less harm. But I'm not going to get righteous about it, and judge others…much. http://www.elephantjournal.com/2011/12/the-weekly

26. reikimaster says:

If one believes that life is sacred, that we are all one and that a lifeforce moves through and connects us all, one can not justify eating meat. Unless, ofcourse, you only value and hold sacred human life? Does not the same lifeforce that moves through you and I, move through a cow? A chicken? I am not going to ask the question all vegans ask when making the pro vegan argument….who decides that a cow is food and a dog a pet? Why not eat them all?( oops i think i just asked…sorry). There really is no difference when it comes to life forms. If its wrong to take one life, its wrong to take any life. Being a ” yogi” means having and practicing compassion. Not just toward human life, all life. If you are going to brand yourself a ” yogi” you have to do more then just yoga and utter namaste. You have to feel it in your entire soul and pay it forward, no matter how yummy that blue-cheese burger may look! Namaste..

27. Katie says:

When did yoga become about self-indulgence? _No animal wants to be slaughtered, no matter how “adorable and delicious” they may be. What exactly is humane slaughter, anyway? Lethal injection?_”You are a great yogi when you are concious, when you live with your eyes wide open, when you have a choice and you make a decision based in kindness.” I’m not a vegan. I don’t eat soya. I’m far from perfect. But I try to do the right thing – and I certainly wouldn’t try to justify killing another creature as a kindness-based decision, let alone the very un-enlightened 5 reasons for eating meat. _1. I think meat is delicious too. I also think lots of other things are delicious – and they don’t have to die for my pleasure._2. Why do I need to label myself anyway? I eat well, and enjoy eating. I don’t kill to do it. That’s it._3. My organic blueberries come from the farmer down the road, not Chile. I eat them in season and each taste is a burst of pleasure. Your meat causes toxic methane buildup, among other things. It’s not better than my blueberries. And I gotta tell you, when I go past the local beef farmer and see those torturous little boxes they keep the veal calves in…I know I’ll never eat veal, not even if it would add ten years to my life._4. Even more high maintenance at a restaurant?? Even as a joke, that’s just not funny, cause it smacks a little too much of the truth._5. Is your sex life suffering? Mine’s just fine, and nothing has to die for me to get my groove on, thanks all the same._

28. learningcurvesblog says:

Ummm, pot meet kettle.

29. bill says:

lol all of these Yogi's came here and blasted this guy for his honesty….
    Really are you all that narrow minded? I suppose while you crunch on those non sentient carrots that didnt want to be harvested from a field that was patched in after all the sentient beings that lived there lost their lives and homes, its cool to say you are makin a keen difference….Bullshit, death comes in all shapes and sizes….whenever something is consumed remember something did die….

30. Elena says:

So your previous decision to do not eat meat, wasn't based on the believing that maybe is not so ethical to kill animals, I suppose.

31. __MikeG__ says:

And vegans make posts on EJ using computers which contain rare earth elements that were mined, transported, processed, turned into parts, constructed on an assembly line and then transported again. Well, except for me. My computer is 100% cotton.

32. YES!!! Actually the really difficult one is WINE, most wine is filtered and NOT vegan. The best wine I have found that is approved vegan is Rosenblum…
    Kate – If you are winning on #5 as vegans I will happily cave in…

33. I aspire to find that resource…but truth be told bird is last on my list ;-).

34. Mariy – I am conflicted with this and definitely insulate myself from the end of life process. I will respect the process of eating them and honor them in the process…if i can do so without being too pretentious.

35. NASY- I will do my best to practice Ahimsa with all of the people I come in contact with and the animals I engage with. I have seen more yogis and yoga teachers treat members of our community terribly…I do believe each of our actions are important and we should continuously grow. Thanks for reading and commenting.

36. Kiely, I thought about everything enough, to feel like my personal decision was and is well reasoned. It is true, I have been an ass at restaurants for years…including 2 nights ago when I asked for my salad to come without the dressing that had fish blended in to it and also requested that the Pasta be prepared without sausage as there wasn't a single vegetarian main course available. I also paid for the food, was polite and said thank you verbally and with a nice tip. I am sure the restaurant hopes more asses like me come in. #5 -was bait for the pile on…
    My favorite bit of hypocrisy in our community is coconut water…but I am saving that for a full post!!! Yeah, I can't see the benefits of organic fruit from Chile as an Ahimsa argument. Whether we want to discuss the carbon footprint or the poorly treated migrant farmers…your choice!!!

37. Allison, I'll tell you how I do, this is an experiment in process ;-).

38. Kim, I am guessing I will stumble and run into a few road blocks along the way. I will continue to treat my vegan and vegetarian friends with the respect they deserve. I have never really understood the militant thing, but I do appreciate the V crowd that wants me to be the wild untamed beast I am ;-).

39. Kiki…Sorry, my humor didn't translate well for you…if you ever ate out with me, you would know that I truly do appreciate the service we get at restaurants and treat staff as if they are owners. I am glad that being vegan for you is about non-violence and respect…I like that and appreciate that you are doing your part. I attempted to use humor to express the fear of pretension as I walk down this road into the next phase of my life. I am not sure how comfortable I will be with the questions or answers. What I do know is that I am trying to do my part also…

40. Katie- Thanks for using a List to respond and for sharing your thoughts!
    1) O.K…please do NOT kill any more Blueberries, they do not need to die for your pleasure.
    2) Thank you for not killing (or were those plants alive)?
    3) I live in Cleveland, Ohio. There are tubers here in the winter and some semi local produce grown in green houses. Reality is I walked around the store while thinking about this article and was shocked at how far all of the produce came from. I do appreciate that Whole Food is clear about where the food comes from.
    4) C'mon – the high maintenance restaurant experience is really funny. Please tell me you have walked at least a few feet in my shoes, or do you not eat out?
    5) The Sex life is Great, I just wanted the Vs to have easy low hanging fruit to get mad about…please do not kill anything to get your groove on!!!

41. Bill, Sharon Gannon addresses this in her book on Vegetarianism and I LOVE and Respect her. She describes the eating of plant life as doing the least harm possible. I agree with her, but see the damage caused by excessive farming and fertilizer (so we can drive eco cars on corn?). I also find that for every amazing farmer, there are 10 farmers who are maximizing profits, not our health. Don't even get me started on the last time I actually found a tomato that tastes like a tomato at a store!!! Either way, I agree with you – Death is real.

42. LCB, Clearly not taking the bait on #5!!! O.k. #1 – We have been gifted senses and eating and drinking uses ALL of our senses. It is an experience, an occasion and a celebration. I have done my best to enjoy all of my vegetarian experiences for this last phase of my life..If I don't enjoy and appreciate the animal I am eating, isn't that strangely a bigger insult?
    #2 – This ideas really evolved out of staring at the soy packages trying to figure out if it was a good choice to make. It was only last summer that I ate my first Field Roast Vegan Hot Dog and stated out loud that it was so delicious I could make it another 9 years as a Vegetarian. Turns out this is not true ;-).
    You are right, I have been limiting my foods for a LONG time in a battle against Moderation. I am going to try a little moderation and see how it goes…that and a lot of hot yoga in 2012!

43. You'd like this chicken- it tastes like steak 😉

44. Right. It's not so much that I enjoyed the slaughter process so much as have reverence for it and the animals. Nothing likes to die but the way a creature experiences life, which is much longer than the death process needs to be honored. Having participated in the process in a manner that honors the life of the animal and aims to make the death gentle and quick while the animals are handled lovingly, I am aware that death is no creature's first choice of activity. For me, it's a matter of maintaining (and hopefully spreading) some integrity in an industry that will exist inevitably, but also, since I do eat meat, I want to be fully aware of and participative in what that means.

45. tatumann says:

I'm excited to follow this. I find your reasoning fascinating. My personal decision to go vegan was prompted by health reasons, not ethical ones, and cheese is still my achilles heel. But ultimately I am an animal lover, and as you've probably discovered, no matter what your reason for becoming vegan, it's hard to avoid the moral argument once you start researching eating vegan. For me, I think it was easier to eat meat when I didn't know where it was coming from (pre-vegan, pre-yoga ignorance is bliss viewpoint…) and I'm not sure that I could ride my bike past the local farm and still enjoy that burger. Good luck on your journey! Keep us posted.

46. ARCreated says:

Good Luck 🙂 I was vegan and am now vegetarian for some of the reasons you state…mostly I was just freakin' hungry and I was sick of all my food having to come from far off places…it was easy being vegan in AZ in colorado winter? not so much. I am allergic to soy and am convinced that it's just not a good food choice for 90percent of humanity. I have a few vegan friends that I think have worse diets than my omnivore friends so I hear you but I have to say – I actually TRIED to eat meat. I just can't. Once upon a time I thought meat was delicious too, but I don't know if it's awareness, years without, emotional reasons or psychological but seriously it just tastes and feels gross. So I'll be curious how it goes for you. Locavore is truly the best way to go I believe and I'm adjusting to the eggs and goat cheese in my diet but that's as far as I could take it…Oh and butter and honey. OMG I have so very very grateful for honey.
    I studied with this funny Swami this summer and he had this to say – first take care of yourself, eat what you need to be HEALTHY, if you eat for pleasure it will interfere with your practice but it is not wrong and when you eat do the least harm possible (he went on to say that it was the object we ingested that mattered most the lesser the "sentience" of the object the better but it wasn't morally wrong to eat animal flesh, simply harder to reach a sattvic enlightened state) I loved his distinction – we are not morally obligated to not eat meat but recognize there are consequences for all we do – that is all. In his opinion householders should eat meat if it helped them manage their life and true abstinence or strict dietary adherence is for monks – now that's food for thought.

47. James says:

Veganism can be a legitimate lifestyle choice in response to the crimes of industrial agriculture and the existential quandaries of our modern society. An honorable and aware choice if made with open eyes and mind.

What grows tiresome is the sanctimonious preaching of mostly first-world urban humans who consider themselves morally superior to all other creatures who participate honestly in the cycles of life and death, including the indigenous peoples for whom the hunt is a sacrament.

Veganism can also be a transcendent check-out, a rehash of original sin, a denial of your animal nature and the realities of your gut. If you think you’re a herbivore, graze on grasses for a week and get back with us. If you think you’re a carnivore, try roadkill. Follow a black bear around and do what she does, you’ll probably survive.

A most interesting contemplation is to recognize that each day we’re alive, other beings must die to sustain us. We each take life to live. There’s no way around it, more importantly no need to transcend it. In fact, to try may be an ecological error and fundamentally immoral. It’s not a cosmic mistake except in the minds of some out of touch humans. It’s a good earth, we can be good human animals. Let’s try it.

I admire Waylon for his honesty and will follow his experiment with interest. And Jamie, as regards eating for pleasure, you’re on thin ice with this crowd!

48. Tatumann- I think you are right, ignorance is bliss. I have avoided going to the source for both vegetables and meat for a long time. Society insulates us from the origins of our food and the process by which it gets to our table. Hopefully I will get closer to the source this year one way or the other. Thanks for sharing.

49. ARCreated- Excellent food for thought!!! Recognizing consequences exist and acknowledging the decisions we make each day is harder than it sounds (as is eating local).

50. Thanks Paleo, appreciate the support!