Skip Your Morning Meditation & Watch this Instead.

Via Kristin Luce
on Apr 22, 2012
get elephant's newsletter

This video will do in five minutes what takes your meditation two hours.

What separates “boring” from “peaceful”?

Arguably it is the magic and beauty of innocence that emerges when we are truly open. Anyone who has practiced sitting meditation for more than a few minutes knows that you have to sit through a lot of “boring” (and sometimes worse) before the peace and magic begins.

This video of a baby’s first bath, on the other hand, cuts straight to the chase!

Bonus: How We Can (Quickly) Wake Up Our Minds to the Present Moment.

~

Read more:

15 Special Tips for My Pregnant Friends.

The Pregnant Goddess is an Electrified Being! ~ Carole Westerman

~

Editor: Tanya L. Markul, Photo courtesy: Kristin Luce

A mindful tip for a morning to determine our day:

About Kristin Luce

Kristin Luce is slowly going sane by using her actual life and relationships to wake up. Her quest for truth has led her through a B.A. in Philosophy, an M.A. in Buddhist Psychology, intensive retreat practice, certification as a Meditation Instructor, two life-changing relationships and two life-changing kids. She now provides in-depth coaching for individuals and couples who want profound and dramatic transformation. An avid writer, she has been featured in such publications as Mothering Magazine and The Buddhadharma, and is a regular contributor to elephant journal. Friend her on Facebook, Twitter, her website or contact her at [email protected].

Comments

262 Responses to “Skip Your Morning Meditation & Watch this Instead.”

1. Debbie says:

Isn't it amazing to see the sense of relief and calm come over the baby's face at the beginning when it is introduced to the water? I wish I had seen this video before I had my children. I always concentrated on the cleaning of their skin more than on the pleasure of the experience.

2. Renita says:

This made me so nervous, found myself trying to take big breathes as though I wasn’t able too…I get what she was doing but it didn’t relax me at all.

3. This is a stunning unfolding to witness. I was brought to tears as I also viscerally felt the potent.sea of babies (sensitive/sentient skin) contact with water as well as the obvious skill and intention with which this woman held this young being. It seemed that she was also facilitating a healing @ deep levels and perhaps addressing somatically some of the birth trauma of this being. I don’t mean to imply that this baby had a traumatic birth…but simply that the journey through the birth canal is in most cases an intense one both emotionally and physically. I interpreted one of how she held and moved with this baby to be addressing or assisting in the ‘unwinding’ process of both body and emotional tension. Simply Exquisite!
    Thank YOU.
    Grace Murdock
    Founder/Director, School of Sentient Birth.

4. susan says:

oh ME, me next! wonderful.

5. Suzy says:

I didn't see her submerge the babies head under the water at all. She was quite careful when the water was around the face. I think you watched a different video. 🙂

6. Jens says:

Wonderful video. Thanks.

But there is no substitution for medidation – and if a meditation is boring, it is not done right.

7. Katy says:

They have to be the most relaxed babies I have ever seen. This video speaks to the power of human touch. Look how firm but careful hands allowed the babies to enjoy the sensations they were getting and feel completely safe. How I wish I’d seen this before giving my kids their first baths…what a complete contrast! I even got peed on!

This was beautiful.

8. Yogini says:

Funny how each of us responds to this video, personally I was jumping every time she poured water over the baby's head! I didn't find this relaxing at all and actually felt I NEEDED to go do my meditation practice afterwards. I was taught not to pour water over infants' heads like that and watching it just makes me flinch!

9. KristinSLuce says:

I love your openness to you and others having different responses. I too, at first, flinched a little, and then gradually relaxed as I saw that everything was fine– nurse knew what she was doing, baby obviously blessed out 🙂 Thank you for this post!

10. Nähbastelkochtante says:

wonderful, peaceful – thank you so much!

11. Chantal says:

Thanks for sharing, this video is going round the world very quickly but I think proper credits should be given to Sonia Rochel, here's her blog with the most amazing baby pictures, including twins!

12. Ash says:

With my first, the same thing happened. With my second, my midwife told me to make the water a comfortable temperature that I'd like to swim in! They just came out from where it was 98.5/99°!! LOL We tend to make bath water for infants around 80-85°! That's COLD to them!! LOL

13. Meg says:

It’s interesting to read all of the different reactions to watching this video. I personally found it extremely moving – I think that all babies deserve to receive such tender, respectful, loving touch. At no point was the baby’s full face submerged in the water and at no point did she appear to be distressed. Babies will most certainly let you know if they’re uncomfortable in any way.

We are surrounded by fluid in utero. Why would a baby be afraid of water? People are simply projecting their own fear.

14. doublehermes says:

Kristin,
    first thank you for posting this and your kind comments to everyone.
    And I imagine it was a typo, but I totally love the phrase "blessed out" and am so stealing this! And what a perfect phrase to describe the baby's experience in this video….

15. KristinSLuce says:

Perfect! Yes, it was a typo, and it's all yours. May we all be blessed out… 🙂

16. KristinSLuce says:

Thank you for sharing the source of this magnificent video, and the beautiful heart who holds these babies.

17. kym says:

Aaah how beutifull life is moving meditation to all the very pragmatic yogis comments up there, lighten up yoginis each moment is meditation dont get all caught up in judgement, allow life to flow, just like the water over the babys body so so moving I loved it, thank you that I could witness,

18. OwlJulie says:

She definitely submerged the face, only the nostrils were left out of the water- the open mouth even was under water- everything was except for the nostrils, for a moment.

19. OwlJulie says:

Yes, this made me very nervous, and I thought maybe she was training the baby to be one of those babies that swim underwater and hold their breath at an early age. For one moment the open mouth was under water, and only the nostrils were left out of the water. The baby could have choked any instant if it wasn't breathing from its nose.

20. kelly says:

Very soothing and I felt the love there, thanks for sharing

21. Sherry says:

yes, i was nervous about that too. Since she seemed to be running water over the babies head and face and putting it's head in the water over and over, and nothing else, it almost began to look like an obsession!

22. Sherry says:

or some point she was trying to make?

23. Mary says:

Was a little nervous about the water running over the babies face and in her ear. But as it went on it seemed more relaxing for the baby and me

24. Carol says:

yes, what a a perfect transition from the womb into embodiment. if only every baby could begin their life on earth in this way!
    I agree, not a substitute for your morning meditation at all. If meditation is something that is difficult for you, or you find yourself having to "make yourself do it", then may I suggest looking into Transcendental Meditation – TM.org – for an effortless natural technique. I learned TM when I was 13, (36 years ago)

25. Faith says:

thank you so much Kristin, I didn't know my French was that good but I found that if I read her post out loud I could understand most of it, just looked up a couple of words! like 'robinet'…guessed right, faucet! beautiful.

26. Faith says:

I was a little nervous watching this too, but I could see that the baby was loving it and the woman giving the bath was obviously so tuned in and loving. I think those of us who felt nervous likely did not have the most loving upbringings, at least it is true for me. I think watching this video could be healing for us. And as far as water on the face and head, think about taking a nice hot shower, I love feeling water streaming down my head and face! I hope since this video was in France too, that the water isn't super chlorinated like in many American cities, that would sting the eyes! thank you so much everyone for sharing here.

27. […] – RE BIRTHING BATH -Amazing must watch video […]

28. Deborah says:

Love this! ..and I love the music. Who are the musicians?

29. sanna says:

As a midwife I found this deeply moving. It makes me wonder how differently we usually do this in our hospital. The uttermost respect towards the new baby was really thought provoking.

30. viishalvarga says:

Beautiful. The ancient ritual bath, or abhishek, is done multiple times a day to the deities at nearly every temple in India, and every time its as magical, as it is the ritual of life itself. That why we go practice in the temples of India. its way different than we think, expect, as in India practice does not usually include asana but other remarkable rituals.

31. sukhpreet kaur says:

its amazing …n unbelievable

32. Zara Murphy says:

Hi I was just wondering if this is a particular method used on babies, I have never seen anything quite like it before. Was she just an amazing nurse or is it some sort of relaxation exercise. Does it have a name? I hope you all know what I am trying to say!

33. Dorothy says:

This was the most beautiful and peaceful experience I have ever witnessed. Oh for all of us to have had a start like this.

34. Denise says:

I agree!

35. Rachel says:

Does anyone know the name of this music, just beautiful

36. jonathan says:

i want that bath.

37. Micol says:

AMAZING! Is there someone in the Uk that is trained to do this? thanks!

38. dlmakamartha says:

"Dive" reflex ladies….the cue to hold their breath – should they be submerged….and the baby was never submerged….the water just ran close…you could tell the practitioner was being careful…..

39. kristy says:

Was nobody else panicking that the baby was going to drown? I know they can breath underwater but i still panicked :/

40. Aea says:

I wish I lived in a society where grandmamas passed this kind of loving, nurturing, and reverence on to their daughter and sons when they had babies

41. reb says:

But it should be the new parents who have the pleasure of giving their new child its first bath!!!!

42. Maggie says:

What is she trying to do? Drown the child?

43. Lisa Dowler says:

My French isn’t perfect but I understand this is a result of many years of observation and reflection, and a technique she has developed. I had a little nervousness around the water on the face, but the babies were so calm and clearly enjoying every moment….I guess it is not long after emerging from a watery environment. I do wish the parents were involved in some way though.

44. mmdp says:

Seriously????

45. sunshine says:

What a wonderful caregiver !! I wish all caregivers could watch the loving gentleness she gave these babies. So thorough, so careful and gentle. We all would want a nurse like that caring for our new borns. Beautiful !!

46. Daisy says:

I believe this is how gently God's – continually – holding each and every one of us.

47. Dave Pimentel says:

Absolutely beautiful. And you're right this video "zonked" me… very relaxing 🙂

48. Roberto says:

Isn't one of the points of meditation to relax despite distracting or discomfiting stimuli? Watching the video, I found myself fearing for the baby, but I realized the fear was mine, not the baby's, and it was not "caused" by the nurse, or by the video. The nurse seemed to know exactly what she was doing, and was doing it with love and skill. The baby seemed to experience the whole situation in deep peace.