So how exciting can a spinal twist be?
But a twist on the ol’ twist can make you feel like you’re being introduced to your spine again. Spine, meet you. You, meet a happier spine.
1. Sit and bend your knees.
2. Put the strap around the arches of your feet and cross the strap over to your left hip.
3. Wrap your right arm around your back to grab the strap (near your left hip).
4. The other hand goes on the strap, too—close to your feet. So far so good, right?
5. For the actual pose, straighten your legs and let that motion draw you into the twist. The picture makes it self-explanatory. Sit upright and stay for a minute or for six s-l-o-w breaths.
6. Repeat on the other side: Bent knees, strap crosses to your right hip, left arm wraps around the back to grab the strap off your right hip, straighten your legs. Let your spine breathe.
And hey, if this feels so good that you want to spend two or three minutes on each side, go right ahead.
Benefits: A nice, gentle, everybody-can-do-this back stretch that’s easier than other more traditional twists.
Avoid if: Well… this pose is pretty safe. If your shoulders or hips start hurting in this pose, slack off on the strap till neither shoulder nor hips hurt.
Final thoughts: If—after trying the “Better Spinal Twist”—your ego chimes in with, “Dude, I can do poses much harder than this!” be sure to hear your back reply, “Which is why I’m tight and desperate for a nice, gentle twist!”
Like elephant yoga and elephant health & wellness on facebook.
Ed: Lynn Hasselberger
hot on elephant
A letter to the Anger that refuses to Leave Me. 254 shares The Most Powerful Moon of the Year: New Moon & Solar Eclipse in Pisces. 97,798 shares Welcome to Pisces Season: A Love there is no Coming Back From. 15,338 shares How Women ruin Good Men. 4,742 shares We can’t Break Up with a Soulmate. 3,499 shares If You Love an Intuitive, Old-Soul Pisces, Read This. 13,450 shares This is what Happened when I Started taking French Baths. 2,274 shares This Venus Retrograde could bring you a Fated Love. 1,283 share If You have to “Think About It,” then I’m Not the One for You. 5,308 shares February’s New Moon in Pisces & Solar Eclipse. 6,200 shares