A 4 Letter Word to Give Our Male Lover…And it Takes a Brave Woman to Say It.

The Elephant Ecosystem

Views 10
Shares 4.4
Hearts 1.0
Comments 2.6
Editor's Pick 0.0
Total Ecosystem Rating 0.0
3 Do you love this article? Show the author your support by hearting.
348.6k

Photo via pinterest

Hero.

Whether it’s our lover, father, nephew, son or grandson, all males can be our Superman.

What does a hero look like?

I’ll get to that, but first, let’s consider using this most powerful and empowering word.

It’s simple to apply, yet difficult for some of us to delve into ourselves and choke up the word. But why? Feminism? Disempowerment? Control? Discernment? No.

It’s vulnerability—and this side of femininity requires grave courage.

Somehow, when we acknowledge our men as the heroes they are, we fear they will use it against us. In some cases this is true, but those men aren’t true heroes—and if they aren’t then why are we with them?

Hint to men: Don’t use our vulnerability against us!

Let me explain.

In my adult years, I’ve had several long term (one year or longer) committed, monogamous relationships plus one failed practice marriage. All ended in my leaving. (Though there was one that was more realistically a mutual break up. I did the breaking up, but I knew the gavel was coming down soon.)

In each of these relationships, when I started to open my heart, to feel vulnerable, I was terrified. I was scared my heart would be scarred beyond repair. We all have a lifetime of experiences that mould us into who we are. Our fears are not unfounded even if they are unreasonably tenuous at times.

Our most challenging life experiences can create wisdom, but sometimes they also build walls. This applies to both men and women.

In my case, there were walls, alright and they were solid granite.

Looking back I can see how I assembled an emotional fortress from my lovers—a careful construct of control through criticism of the men I purported to love. Others have their own ways of emasculating men. We do this when we’re insecure, which boils down to feeling afraid, exposed, defenceless, vulnerable.

Unconsciously, I thought if I tore them down, they wouldn’t figure out that I was the lucky one to be with them. I can see now that this wasn’t true. We simply weren’t meant to be together.

Non-compatibility doesn’t equal unequal.

Some of the ways women, and certainly I, have emasculated men include criticism, complaining, condemning, condescending, closing ourselves off, controlling, ignoring, interrupting, taking for granted and not-really-a-joke chastising. If we saw someone doing that to a child, the elderly or a same sex good friend, we’d be appalled. Yet we do this to our men every day in so many ways.

No wonder men, too, are afraid. Afraid to be the heroes they want to be for us—and innately are. We are all equals. No. Matter. What. Re-empowering our men will not take that away.

So, what is a hero?

A man is a hero when he takes out the garbage, even if we need to remind him kindly and thank him sincerely. A man is a hero when he works hard to provide for his family. A man is a hero when he sticks up for you when you’re not around to hear it. A man is a hero when he opens the door for us at the coffee shop and/or gestures us to enter first. A man is a hero when he recants a ‘biggest fish’ story so he can appear manly for us. A man is a hero when he is wildly attracted to his wife of 20 years despite the few extra pounds she sports. A man is a hero when he helps an elderly person with her groceries. A little man is a hero when he makes his own lunch because Mom slept in. And, sure, man is a hero when he saves a family, their dog and a hamster from imminent death after a multi-vehicle accident on the Autobahn. A man is as much a hero when he is humble under any circumstance that warrants otherwise.

When we positively acknowledge our men, we give them permission and inspire them to be our heroes, which allows us ladies to be our most gorgeously, Goddessy selves.

And that is empowering for both women and men.

Love and let love.

~

Relephant:

5 Ways to Make a Man Loved on Valentine’s Day (& Every Day).

Why Do You Love Me? A Real Man’s Reply.

Relephant bonus:

~

Author: Anna Jorgensen

Editor: Bryonie Wise

Photo: elephant archives

The Elephant Ecosystem

Views 10
Shares 4.4
Hearts 1.0
Comments 2.6
Editor's Pick 0.0
Total Ecosystem Rating 0.0
3 Do you love this article? Show the author your support by hearting.
348.6k

Read The Best Articles of December
You voted with your hearts, comments, views, and shares.
CLICK TO SEE WHO WON

Anna Jorgensen

Anna Jorgensen Dating, love and relationship coach.

A lumberjack’s daughter, I spent my formative years surrounded by virgin forest and hungry grizzly bears in remote forestry camps. The crews were mostly hard-working, good-hearted scruffy men. There was plenty of naked-lady wallpaper, which explains my naughty sense of humour and understanding of how men think. (Hint: It’s not only about sex.)

In 2010, after several “practice” relationships (and a hella lotta “I need help” self-study), I rewrote my self and my life and now wear the cape as “Wingmam.” Yay! My super power is providing one-on-one coaching and study-at-home-in-pj’s online programs that entertain-ucate singles on how to understand the opposite sex, get unstuck, navigate the modern dating world and fast-forward to the fun bits of their happily ever after. (I don’t ask anyone to use cheesy lines or made-up words like I do.)
Love IS the answer, people! ;)

Find Anna here: link to love and laughs.

Connect with Anna’s real, unfiltered Facebook page here (Love IS the answer!).

Watch Anna’s fun-ucational videos on: WingmamTV.

You must be logged in to post a comment. Create an account.

anonymous Jan 18, 2016 6:42am

This may seem a sweet little article, but it is more powerful and important than that. THANK YOU!

anonymous Dec 16, 2015 2:30pm

I know writing great pages isn't easy. In this article, it seems a bit scattered like 2 topics in one. I would like to think I am a "hero" of some kind. Could it be to take advantage of a woman's vulnerability? In a bit ways yes. I am not perfect, my motives aren't always 100% for other people. Sometimes I do want a big "Thank You" or maybe another "thank you" a few days later. This of course is pointless if we aren't loved in the first place. then its just another "good deed". And you don't need to call us a "hero". That is not the word for a man that cares for a woman. They are just two hopefull good people who like each other.

anonymous Apr 22, 2015 8:54pm

If he’s a hero for taking out the garbage, what was Nelson Mandela?

To me this infantilizes men. Men are capable of true and astounding courage. Let’s recognize that and not put it in the same category as household tasks or loving your wife.

Taking out the garbage, should be appreciated not glorified.

anonymous Feb 13, 2015 11:30am

YES, YES, YES!!! Thank you for these words. This article needed to be written.

As a strong, independent, intelligent, ambitious woman who works in a male-dominated field as a supervisor, managing teams of ex-military and ex-police (all males), I can unequivocally say that the level of vulnerability you are talking about in this beautiful piece, is the scariest, most difficult thing I've ever had to do. I can stand down a battle-hardened Marine on the job without flinching, but vulnerability and softness were terrifying to me!

To admit that my man provides something in my life that I NEED as a woman was difficult for me. But once I made the decision to be radically vulnerable, and yes, even soft, with my man, my heart blew wide open, and I found myself in the deepest, most loving relationship of my life. THIS is a relationship that is truly equal, as we have both put our hearts in 100%. He feels safe with me, because I have been able to cultivate a vulnerability with him that communicates my own feelings of safety and security. We move forward in life, together, as a real team.

This level of partnership was never possible for me, back when I felt I needed to control and denigrate my partners to keep them "in line", because, "men can't be trusted", "all they want is sex", "they'll tell you anything you want to hear". Thanks feminist Mom, that was some awesome conditioning for me, early in life, which set me up for failure after relationship failure. Only once I decided to take a more traditional approach to relating to men, allowing my man to be the safe place for me to be soft, vulnerable, and wide open, did my ability to relate to men truly fall into place. And once I learned to call my man "my hero", sure enough, he stepped up to fulfill that role, in a million big and small ways, every day.

In short, I loved this article, and will likely refer back to it when I feel I need a good reminder. Thank you for sharing these thoughts.

anonymous Nov 6, 2014 11:41pm

Both this article, and many of the comments, remind me of my failed marriage with my (now ex-) wife. Once we got past the honeymoon stage, she became verbally and emotionally abusive which I attribute to her being abused previously and not being able to handle the sense of vulnerability as mentioned above (among many other things). After multiple marital therapy sessions where she refused to even look at her own behaviors, I ended up divorcing her and continuing therapy to heal myself.

While I don't know that I was a hero for "doing the usual things", I can definitely say that being continually attacked, put down, and not appreciated absolutely destroyed my marriage. Being appreciated and honored, with my wife dealing with her own wounds in a healthier manner . . . would quite possibly have saved it.

I consider myself a feminist (briefly defined as – women have different experiences and voices then men, those voices have historically been suppressed, and those voices should be treated equally. In other words, imagine if you were both a woman and a man and consider both equally and imagine walking a mile in each person's shoes), but when I read the negative comments about this article, it brings up memories of all of the anger my ex had for me. Then again, my own triggers are my problem to deal with.

Thank you to the author for this article. I hope to be with someone someday who will be positive towards me and not tear me down (and, obviously, vice versa).

anonymous Sep 15, 2014 11:02pm

The "a man is a hero" paragraph served as my daily reminder of why we need feminism. Absolutely absurd. A man is a "hero" for loving his wife after she gains a few pounds? Ugh.

anonymous Aug 25, 2014 12:29pm

I have mixed feelings on this article. I think the author's intention is to remind women to be more appreciative and not so critical, and I think that is a good thing. I also think it needs to go both ways, of course. My main problem is with the use of the word Hero. From reading all the responses I'm guessing that is just a term of endearment such as Princess or Goddess. For me a hero needs to have greater than average challenges to overcome. I have an uncle with a debilitating progressive disease. But he tries to do everything he can, rarely complains, and still is helpful and loving to others. Him just getting out of bed in the morning somedays makes him one of my heroes. And my grandmother who has been through many hardships yet always remains positive, strong and powerful, and supportive of her loved ones, – that makes her another one of my heroes.
I agree that both sexes need to learn to be more appreciative, less critical, and more forgiving. Of ourselves first, so that we can, in turn, be those things for our partners. I think when both people in a relationship can achieve this, that is where the heroism comes in.

anonymous Aug 24, 2014 4:32pm

The second, third and fourth comments and parts of others might not be considered praise. All respectful feedback welcome JJS 🙂

anonymous Aug 24, 2014 3:15pm

I notice only comments in praise of this article have been allowed by the admins.

anonymous Aug 24, 2014 3:50pm

We're fine with comments that criticize articles…if they're done mindfully and maturely, and in a way that might be of benefit.

anonymous Aug 23, 2014 7:15pm

Well written and pondered John! I think when we honour our selves it becomes easier to honour another without feeling like we're losing any of our power. In fact, it only builds positive esteem for both. Thank you for your comments! 🙂

anonymous Aug 23, 2014 10:51am

This is not about gender, but personal empowerment. If we can honor the hero in ourselves, then we can appreciate the heroic efforts of others. If we can honor and protect the vulnerability of ourselves, then we can dare to be vulnerable with others. If we don't embrace the complete range of our powers then we become resentful and needy. http://www.elephantjournal.com/2014/08/gender-loa

anonymous Aug 23, 2014 8:23am

Anna, this is a brave article. I particularly appreciate your discussion of how (both men and women) use aggression to avoid our feelings of vulnerability. As you point out, our gender roles generally cast men as "protectors" and embodiment of strength, but the hero archetype is universal. While is can be productive to acknowledge and encourage your male partner to be a hero, it is also important for women to recognize and acknowledge their own heroic talents rather than simply relying on men to step up. Possibly we all become heros/heroines when we humbly accept our mortality, admit our vulnerability and honestly/equally partner with each other to foster caring and growth. We all must embrace our vulnerability, quit the posturing, and get to the mutual heroic work of ensuring the world is a safe and loving place to be

anonymous Aug 23, 2014 4:32am

Hey thank you for this article. I see lots of men who are crushed by their women, and I think denigration is just as bad regardless of who is on the receiving end. We all need reminders to build positive relationships, tearing down is easy, building up your partner is a long term project.
Thanks again.

anonymous Aug 23, 2014 7:13pm

Thanks Viv, you're right–positive reinforcement works wonders! 🙂

anonymous Aug 23, 2014 4:03am

I think there can be a sliding scale on the word hero. From putting out the garbage, doing the dishes etc can be put on the that scale…. ok it ain’t like saving a life risking theirs to do something, but in the face of a little thing it can be still seen as hero material for his woman. We as humans all love praise to be felt specal, women have demanded to be recognised, we’ve fought for it , wanted to see that housework is work, that it ain’t easy it is a full time job to some. Maybe that’s why some women are having a hard time with the word hero when talking about taking the trash out? But that just leads them not to not doing the daily routine and just dismissing it. I still think for some men it does take guts to do what is perceived as a woman’s work . Yes I know housework should be equal in this day and it should be that the new man has no problems with doing the housework and i know some don’t, but to those who haven’t caught up, got the memo, so what’s so bad with a little ego stroking? I find compliments work wonders, tell your man he’s your hero, give him compliments, not only will he does the jobs with a smile on his face but he will go above and beyond and he’ll start complimenting you too. It doesn’t have to be a struggle that everyone thinks it will be…. and it gets people nowhere with the thoughts of Well men ‘should’ ‘ought’, life doesn’t work on should haves and ought tos ….

anonymous Aug 23, 2014 7:12pm

Thanks Corrinne! You're so right, we don't lose anything of ourselves by giving another human being a recognized pat on the back for helping us, and I think men especially appreciate being acknowledged for those seemingly 'little' things. 🙂

anonymous Aug 22, 2014 11:51pm

When I look at people whose relationships I really respect and want to emulate, I see this. One friend of seven years is self-employed and a home school supermom, but she gently asks her man to walk with her at night if she has something to do and extra appreciates him for it like he is her protector. Another friend of 2 years exclaims “hi Daddy” every time her husband walks in the room. That seems ridiculous in print, but it is cute in person, and is another way of making him the hero. Another friend of over a decade stopped working to become a stay at home dad while his fiance works. She praises him in person, on social media, and all the time + was like that before the baby was ever in the picture. Beyonce is a big ole feminist but she is always praising the heck out of Jay-Z in her songs and a lot of people do or did look at that relationship positively. Nick Cannon was always praising Mariah Carey but I never really saw that reciprocated. So I guess it matters. We’re all equals and we all equally appreciate being affirmed. If most people treated others with as much verbal affection as we give our pets, the world would be a better place.

anonymous Aug 22, 2014 11:46pm

I think we need a Lot more appreciation for males right now. Particularly in the last few decades males are portrayed as idiots across TV. Abuse of boys by girls in schools is rampant. Girls are so much better supported with programs etc. of the 38000 suicides a year in the USA, 30000 are males. Our streets are littered with homeless MEN.
We drug our young boys for being boys in a feminist run school system.
Also I think women perceive themselves as weak if they were to appreciate a man I think.
Ideally both sexes should show honor and deep appreciation to each other. But even that term…to honor a man sound so "sexist" these days than saying to honor a woman!

anonymous Aug 23, 2014 7:08pm

I completely agree, Michelle, and think we actually bolster our own self-empowerment when WE are the ones to help empower men in our society, too. Win win.

anonymous Aug 22, 2014 11:45pm

I can’t believe there is a woman on earth that has brought it 100% to the point. All I usually hear is this constant complaining or belittleing of men when my she-friends talk about us. All my married friends (well, almost all) complain about the constant complaining of their wifes, resuming it that it’s impossible to make their wifes happy EVER. There is always a “,but” that takes the recognition away from them, as if there was a competition for it.

Thank you Anna for putting it straight. The message had to come from a woman, otherwise the world would not listen. There’s no Gentleman without a Lady, no Hero without a real Goddess. And vice versa.

anonymous Aug 23, 2014 7:06pm

Thank you, Ralf! It's okay to allow our partner to be the wind beneath our wings–there will be times when we can return the favour 🙂

anonymous Aug 22, 2014 11:40pm

Anna,

This is sooo true; so unbelievable right to the point and so simple said.

“…When we positively acknowledge our men, we give them permission and inspire them to be our heroes, which allows us ladies to be our most gorgeously, Goddessy selves…”

And IMHO this is the point feminists are searching for decades, and will never reach. The point where man worships his woman to the unbelievable point.

Tomo

anonymous Aug 23, 2014 7:03pm

anonymous Jul 25, 2014 5:42am

This article did two very different things for me. It inspired me to be vulnerable and give praise where it is due. Thank you! It also made me concerned about the very big misuse of the word "feminist". Feminists are women and men who both believe in and work for the equality of women in society. Without them, this article could never have been written by a woman as they were the first ones to fight for equal education. Let's give respect to all of our heroes, those who daily inspire is, and those who changed history!

anonymous Aug 1, 2014 5:30pm

Hi fsld, thank you for your comments! I agree about feminism, and I also got (get) a lot of flack from people (mostly women) who consider themselves feminists and yet shun the idea of praising a man for anything, especially things they "ought to be doing" (like garbage detail, see comments herein and on ej main page posts), to me that's just hypocritical. And sad. Let them be our garbage duty heroes while being our feminist supporters as well! xo 🙂

anonymous Jul 24, 2014 8:31pm

this is a sweet article. i WILL use the word hero when it applies, thanks! what jives me is your thoughtless use of the word feminist as someone who might have a problem with complimenting a man or someone who you are separate from while also making the claim that "we are all equals". if it weren't for feminists you would not be able to write this article, and women still would not be educated. in the past we lived in a profoundly unequal world and there is still grave inequality today (which has nothing to do with how much some men truly are our heroes and sometimes even saviors). people fought long and hard for you to have rights, men included. people went to jail, hunger struck, died, for your ability to be educated and write now. men are also feminists. feminism is both the belief that women and men are equal as well as the willingness to pursue getting those rights. there are many male feminists who are huge heroes to me and i don't have to get all vulnerable to say it: its a fact. don't disrespect or separate yourself from feminists who for free fought for your ability to now express this view if you value your ability to participate in society or this journal. this all said – i will totally take your advice. its a hard thing to be vulnerable enough show him how much i respect him and look up to my feminist boyfriend do so thanks for the shout out! thanks anna, blessings. and i recommend the movie Iron Jawed Angels… for its male and female feminist heroes.

anonymous Jul 20, 2014 12:53am

I love this. Despite all the smart Ass/negative remarks people are making, I genuinely love this. A truly good man deserves to know how amazing he is. There’s nothing wrong with that. I’ve done everything listed in this article – both good and bad. Once I found someone I trusted and loved beyond reason, I stopped acting like a child and made sure (still make sure) to show him my appreciation for everything he does. He’s the greatest man I’ve ever known and I do all I can to show him that. And you know what he does in return? He loves me beyond belief! He adores me, respects me, appreciates me, he understands that I am my own strong person while still making sure I know that he’s here for me should I need anything. He goes above and beyond in every aspect of our life. We raise eachother up, take care of eachother, understand eachother and totally accept every part of eachother. I can honestly say without a shadow of a doubt that he loves me and my daughter more than I ever dreamed. How could it possibly get any better than that?

anonymous Jul 22, 2014 5:40pm

that's nice. 🙂

anonymous Jul 22, 2014 11:52pm

Amazing post Bethany. You have beautifully summed up what true unconditional love and acceptance is and how it can be for 2 people who live and relate to each other in this way. As for the naysayers you have no idea what it means to a man to be accepted and loved in this way and to know he is "the greatest man I have ever known" to his partner. And you have no idea what the return on your investment is when you place a man in this position and allow him to know and feel how wonderful he is in your eyes and heart. As Martin N said "we will literally die for you" and short of that we will love you unconditionally and live to support and please you. I love the idea of "we raise each other up" in a phrase that says it all. You made my day Bethany. Thank you.

Also thank you Anna for the article 🙂

anonymous Jul 24, 2014 8:42pm

Serge – this is really touching and also motivates me to truly acknowledge and compliment my partner. Thanks. 🙂

anonymous Aug 23, 2014 12:40am

I completely agree!!

anonymous Jun 6, 2014 11:40am

Yes let's all stand up and pat men on the back for being decent human beings.

anonymous Jun 6, 2014 4:39pm

Agreed, positive reinforcement of all heroic acts, even the simpler ones, not just the ones only seen in Hollywood movies unrealistic to most men. All good men deserve to feel like our heroes.

anonymous Aug 23, 2014 10:13am

Being a good father and husband doesn't make a man a hero more than a woman being a good mom and wife does. I think the use of the word hero is too polarizing and extreme in this sense. I think myself and a lot of us resonate with your words, but the word choice of hero is too damsel in distress reminiscent.

anonymous Jun 5, 2014 11:44pm

Thanks for taking a stand for men, I appreciate it
In my 50 + years of having various 'men only' conversations, I've come to the belief that men and women love each other in different ways. The more conscious a man becomes the more he realizes he doesn't just love his woman – he ADORES her … everything about her … her skin, her hair, her laugh, her shapeliness, her capacity for unconditional love, her openness, her womanliness, her sometimes illogical thinking. Sometimes (ok – often) it's locked away under layers of 'not good enough' messages from both parents and the usual compensatory boys bravado, but it's still there, aching to come out. We KNOW we are heroes, we try to take every opportunity to demonstrate it, but it must be validated, or it turns sour and toxic
We want you to be our Goddess, our Princess, our special darling, we want your sweetness and softness and nurturing – for that, we will literally die for you

anonymous Jun 6, 2014 4:36pm

Thank you Martin, it's time men were given permission again. 🙂

anonymous Apr 5, 2014 3:01pm

This article really resonated with me; thank you for sharing it! In particular, this part:
"So use the word hero, generously, genuinely, sincerely, lovingly, vulnerably and watch him live up to his role. He can do it, and he will if we let him. Feminists may gag but Goddesses will get it and their men will know they get them."
It's hard for a man to be vulnerable too. It's hard to step into that hero role unless you trust that your partner is there with and for you in the long run as well. In this sense women are equally heroic for working with their man's vulnerability. It's a team effort! 🙂

anonymous Apr 13, 2014 1:15pm

Thank you and I agree. Vulnerability takes courage, more courage than anger, fear, resentment and hate. I think women can be strong, validated and equal while giving our men this gift as well. xo

anonymous Apr 5, 2014 1:00pm

It takes a brave women to be her own hero and tell a man if you want to be in my life, be me ally and unite with me to end sexism and any mistreatment of my beloved sisters. For starters, How about equal pay for women?

anonymous Apr 13, 2014 1:19pm

Thanks for your comment Joe! I think men can be heroes and women can be at the same time. One doesn't negate the other. I think mutual appreciation in a relationship will elevate both partners. Equal pay is a whole other blog topic that I agree with you on! lol xo

anonymous Jul 25, 2014 9:51pm

I think Joe has a point. Opening the door is not heroic…taking a stand against sexism is. Unconditional love is of course always heroic. But reinforcing norms that render women weak or grateful for almost inconsequential acts is not mutuality. No one should ever be our hero just because they held a door open. Would we want to be anyone's hero because we held a door open? I think some of the examples are good ones but some kind of make women seem like they should deify someone who does a basic kind gesture for them. Its a bit much. Everyone should be decent and kind. Fighting sexism – that's heroic.

anonymous Jul 24, 2014 8:45pm

agreed with Joe!

anonymous Apr 4, 2014 6:21pm

This article feels like it started with good intentions and ended in something uncomfortably bathed in chauvinist tinges. No disrespect, appreciating the daily things your man does is all hood and well. HOWEVER…

I think we need a 2014 realist perspective on this. You can call your lover a hero without reflecting vulnerability and weakness back on yourself. You don’t have to play damsel in distress to acknowledge his efforts. Both be heros. Both be knights in shining armor for each other. It will feel better that way.

anonymous Apr 13, 2014 1:17pm

Thanks for caring enough to share, Olivia. I agree that we don't need to play damsels in distress. I'm just saying giving anyone appreciation when deserving feels good and encourages more positive behavior 🙂

anonymous Apr 4, 2014 5:47pm

Yeah… no. Until women are applauded, respected, given positive reinforcement for all they do – men do not deserve the blind adoration from the women of the world.

anonymous Jul 24, 2014 8:46pm

blind adoration… no. but some men truly are exceptional and deserve to hear that they have broken the mold.

anonymous Apr 4, 2014 5:41pm

Stupid. I take out the trash and keep a job. So am I a hero? No, I'm just *mom*. Why is it when men do it, they deserve an Oscar? For me, a male hero is a bit more. Hero is a pretty big title. You'd better earn it.

anonymous Aug 23, 2014 9:07am

Yes, you are a a . Not "just a mom". A man is a hero if he is a good man for his family, and so is a woman if she is good for her family and self.

You deserve an oscar for doing the right thing in this fucked up world, and so is a man. I don't get why people always have to make NEGATIVE comparisons when they can and Need to be positive.

So let me repeat this. Yes, being a good woman (in whatever sense it has FOR YOU!) = being a hero. And being a good man = being a hero. Not "oh Im just a mom that doesnt deserve an Oscar and underestimates the value of my work/feels like Im underestimated so Im going to underestimate the value of men's work as well" Damn. We need a perspective change, people!

anonymous Jan 17, 2015 12:09pm

Yeah this is pretty silly. I'm a guy and the examples of 'hero' made me cringe. Go Moms btw.

anonymous Mar 30, 2016 8:03am

I can honestly say I have learned a few the hard way over the last year and a mere recognition went a long way for myself and for her. She originally sent this to me a few months back and I thought it an interesting read, but it was the other way around. I started calling her my hero. And she returned the words. But what is interesting to remember is we all tired either internally for stress, monotony, etc, and externally from the daily grind and working. Recognizing the others efforts and sharing words of encouragement help to fuel the fire that fights the internal exhaustion. Can this life be done by oneself, sure, but do you want to do it alone? Or better yet, would you rather they did it alone? We give the little encouragements here and there and the rewards come back ten-fold in life. This essay was a great reminder.

anonymous Mar 12, 2014 4:59pm

Aw. 🙂

J Gwenhwyfar Wyrrd Dec 19, 2016 4:26pm

My man is my hero. He saved me from myself. No easy task. Made me feel safe and loved when I did not think I could be either! Thanks, baby!