A misconception that some men have about those women who teach yoga.

x

The Elephant Ecosystem

Views 10
Shares 10
Hearts 0.0
Comments 10
Editor's Pick 0.0
Total Ecosystem Rating 0.0
0 Do you love this article? Show the author your support by hearting.
74.5k

katie collins

“Yes I’m a 24 year old single Yoga instructor, no, I will not have sex with you.”

I walk into a local bar. Should I play the “yoga teacher card” or the “nursing student” card, tonight?

Am I looking for a one-night stand or a possible relationship? Because it always amazes me, the polar opposite reactions I get:

So Katie, what do you do for a living? “Well, I’m primarily a yoga instructor.”

Guy’s eyes open wide, sudden not-so-subtle look up and down at my body.

“Wow, so you must be good in bed.” Seriously? Got that one once, meant to be a joke I’m sure.

The end. Next bar.

So, Katie what do you do for a living? “Well, right now I’m a full-time nursing student.”

“Wow, I have a lot of respect for you. You must work really hard and care about people.” That’s the gist of it.

Correct. Keep going, kind sir.

I lead a fortunate life. I am healthy, happy and yes, single.

But I’m not going to sit here and tell you it’s all roses to be in your mid 20s and be a single yoga instructor looking for “the one.”

First off, I lost my boyfriend the weekend before my last yoga teacher training immersion. It just got to be too much. He said I was “changing.” And I was, but for the better.

My yoga training taught me to love all souls—everybody, whatever our differences. And to be the most beautiful soul you know. I learned that there was no way I could be of service to someone else if I wasn’t first going to serve myself.

And that didn’t have to mean to start being selfish; it just meant to start being me. I learned to stop pretending that I liked sleeping in until 11am. The real me wants to get up, get my practice in, and work hard strive to be a better being. For now, yes, I am doing this for myself, but only because I want to offer others the best version of myself, and to be attractive to those who…”get it.” If you want to serve others, love others with all your heart and entire being, we must serve ourselves—we must look within and ask, “What makes me truly happy?” and “What can I do today that’s going to reflect who I truly am?” And: what is going to allow me to aspire to be the best wife, the best mother, the best teacher?

So why is it so hard to find a partner? Simple. Respect. I don’t need to go on and on. That’s it.

When I go out to meet new people, I feel an immediate, sad disconnect with the guys I tell I’m a yoga instructor because, apparently, their mind goes into the bedroom…”…Hmmm I bet she can put her legs behind her head..!” (News flash, not every yogi can!)

Katie_456_Edit

I work hard as a yogi—I don’t chataraunga for strong arms so I can throw men onto a bed.

I have a daily practice that allows me to explore, to create, to release anxiety and stress so that when I do step into a bar, a studio or classroom, I am attracted to those who seek a mindful journey.

The journey is the reward. At first I was caught up looking for the one, but now my perspective has changed. Now, and everyday, I just aim to be a better Katie and to enjoy the journey that will ultimately find me my true love.

I encourage you to do the same. If you are one of the thousands of single humans out there, aim to create your own journey to love. Strive to be the best version of yourself.

If you build it, the love will come.

Relephant reads:

What Does a Yoga Teacher Look Like?

Dude, Please Don’t Hit On Me At Yoga.

Men Who Marry Their Yoga Instructors.

A much better way to go:

~

Editor: Waylon Lewis

Photos:

Jp Elario

GTS Clothing

x

The Elephant Ecosystem

Views 10
Shares 10
Hearts 0.0
Comments 10
Editor's Pick 0.0
Total Ecosystem Rating 0.0
0 Do you love this article? Show the author your support by hearting.
74.5k

Elephant:Now
is a new feature on Elephant Journal—enabling you to instantly share your mindful ideas, photos, art, YouTube videos/Instagram links & writings with our 5 million readers. Try it Now.

Write Now

Katie Collins

Albany native Katie Collins is a certified yoga instructor, Jade yoga mat ambassador and representative for GTS Clothing. In college she visited nearby studios, discovering the balance that yoga brought to her life—offering an outlet for stress, a medium for expression, and a compliment to her studies. After graduating from Siena College in May 2012, Katie wanted to give back what wasn’t accessible to her. So, in the fall of 2013, she started the Siena College Yoga Intramural Program. After teaching for a year and being inspired by the growth of her students, certification was her next step. Practicing in the summer of 2013 under Justin Wolfer, Katie learned quickly what it meant to be a true “yogi”- commitment, dedication, trust and spirit. Connect with Katie on Facebook, or find her and her journey with GTS Clothing on Instagram/Twitter @katietheyogi.

Comments

56 Responses to “A misconception that some men have about those women who teach yoga.”

1. Tina says:

I have to wonder if its the energy or way you put it out there. Or that you expect that response and therefore get it. As a yoga teacher I get the exact opposite response. Men are interested and say how they respect my dedication and passion. They usually comment how they are interested to learn more and how it must benefit the mind and would be beneficial for them to cross train etc. I’ve never had someone respond the way you have and I just wonder about the way you’ve presented yourself as a teacher.

• ooo that sounds so patronising & judgemental. I'm sure you didn't mean to though. I've seen this happen many many times with young & older gorgeous yoga teachers male & female whether they be in a class or in a bar. Generally they are really hot anyway. Connected, present with people, fit & flexible, in love with life & in service to people. That is a really magnetic energy to hold & of course sexual attraction will arise for some people who meet you in passing in a bar, classroom or shopping aisle. Some folks just don't have the right social skills to deal with the excitement of meeting yoga teachers that's all. This is a gorgeous article. Thank you.

• Lynn says:

My guess is Tina that you must not be single? I am a 51 year old widow and when I myself mention that I am a CYT, RYT, the reaction I get is the same as what Katie gets and I am yet another 25 years older then she is. So no is it not the energy that we "send" out or expect. Sometimes it can be darn right irritating.

• Oscar says:

Hi Tina, I think you are great! I am a guy who would definitively respond with nothing but respect for what you do. I have learned comments are just comments and the meaning we give them is up to us.

2. LGU says:

Less bars, more grocery store aisles. Problem solved. 🙂
    You'll get the benefit of both physical desire and attraction to your mind and lifestyle.

• elephantjournal says:

Bars are fun! Why not both? 😉

• Bars may be fun, but it's really a pretty lousy place to really meet "the one". I'm just not sure why people insist on trying to make bars out to be much more than they are. Few people I know have found their mates in bars. Most met outside the bar. Why put something so important to you up for such a 'chance encounter', when the odds of meeting someone who shares your values are likely higher in a more productive forum, like a place where people share hobbies or interests that do not revolve around alcohol and loud music.

• elephantjournal says:

Don't think it's fair–or accurate–to generalize about "going out," bars, the like. I live in Boulder, Colorado, and there's a lot of great restaurants and bars, night life—a lot of it's inspiring (music, arts, community, fashion), interesting, or just plain fun. Same with the people. That said, I hear you—go to places where we might find fun community doing quality things, and we'll find more quality relationships, perhaps. ~ Waylon

• victoria says:

yes! Not everyone who walks into a bar is looking to get laid. SCRATCH THAT stereotype. UGH

3. sophia says:

Well the truth is yoga teachers are better in bed, whether you can do the legs behind the head thing or not; being in tune with your body makes sex pretty great. But don't you want someone who is equal with you this way? You're probably not going to find this person in a bar. Two people who are in tune with their bodies make for even great sex and even greater relationships. So keep telling those guys you're a yoga teacher, because it doesn't really matter, they have almost no chance with you anyway if you're looking for an egalitarian relationship. I have to turn down guys all the time because I'm gay and don't find any of them appealing. I used to think revealing this would make them ever more annoying about trying to date me, and sometimes it did, but now it's more like a relief to them– oh yeh! we can just be normal friends now, no need to try to woe me or whatever.

4. Howard says:

Katie, thank you for sharing… It's unfortunate that the guys you're meeting have such a shallow conception of what yoga's about (and a shallow conception of relationships, sex, etc.). But perhaps the lesson is to have patience, and to be open to your own journey and to the friendships you make along the way. That's when real connections can happen. It sounds like you are on your way.

5. vanessa michel says:

I thought yogis did not go to bars.

• elephantjournal says:

Yogis are people, too. And people love to party. If you mean "yogis shouldn't drink too much," that should be true, and should go for all of us.

• Shanti says:

I agree with elephantjournal. Vanessa one thing yogis don't do is judge and generalize. I'd rather hang out with a yogi who occasionally drinks than one who thinks yogis are not yogis if they drink. Yikes.

6. someone says:

Men are men. Some are horny little perverts, some are gentlemen… most fall somewhere in the middle. The fact that they're up front about it, just allows you to waste less time on this person. You're not looking for a one night stand, understandable. Understand this, just because a man is interested in having sex with you, and making that KNOWN up front, doesn't mean he will not wait for you either. You set your own boundaries. If he's handsy, and pushy… walk away. Him communicating a desire for you is a good thing. My husband let me know one day that our friendship had changed. He said "I've had a very hard time keeping my eyes off of you." Simple, yet effective. The basis of a relationship is determined by whether or not you're going to have a sexual relationship with said person. If the answer is no, move on. If it's a possibility… take the time to get to know each other. Open communication is a wonderful thing. A man whore, however is not. They are every where… don't let those few thousand idiots keep you from the one that's totally honest about how bad he wants to be with you, versus ONLY wanting you for sex.

7. Erica says:

I get the same responses from men and I am 43, a mom and most definitely not single. Its super annoying and I loved this article. Thanks for writing it.

8. Dylan says:

I am a female Dylan. You are 24 and go to bars, man will hit on you. This article has nothing to do with yoga. You remind me of all the young ‘girls’ in my yoga teacher training…most were under 25, none had more than 5 years of yoga practice, they wanted to be yoga teachers as it sounded cool to them.

• elephantjournal says:

Mmmm…but she pointed out something other than that. Are you listening? When she presents herself as a nurse in those bars, the reaction is different–more thoughtful, more respectful.

9. Adrian & Ariel says:

I think the varied reactions in the comments below say a lot of good, sometimes biting stuff; but I’d like to add something that might sound patronizing, pardon me- Dear, you’re only 24- which might be a high time in life for fitness, but not necessarily the age people figure out the complexities. In an idealistic world, yes, the men you met would respect the early mornings and your dedication to becoming a strong and balanced being. But it just doesn’t work that way in bars where predictably men and women are sizing up each other for dating, pushing boundaries, all while plied with alcohol. It’s the venue where they offer unrestricted honesty about their bedroomy desires. If you want to hear them blurt out how unbelievably sexy it is to learn you’re a single yoga teacher, go to one of those places.

10. elephantjournal says:

Via FB:

Stephanie K Be the best you can be for you and the rest falls into place. Say that out loud 5 times and hopefully it can sink in. Great article!

Lani A so poignantly described. So true and still working to be the best version of myself ; "aim to create your own journey".

Lisa T same thing happens to me and I'm a certified personal trainer.

Jen S Not any different for a single 40ish yoga instructor.

Amy D: Go Katie Collins .

Megan B I think it goes for any "fitness" professional. Why is that!? Sucks.

Gabrielle Y Got the same treatment when I was a full time Massage Therapist. So predictable.

Daniel W This reminds me of the hot popular girls in high school who in contrived manner -complained because it was soooo bothersome that they had to deal with all the people who "wanted" them so much. I thought the "practice" was about embracing authenticity at some level. This article has the essence of ego wafting gently between the lines and words. It was still fun to read. Everyone finds their level in life.
    Elephant Journal: Hunh. I didn't get that at all–she seems sincerely disappointed at the difference, not obnoxiously preening at all. We see and complain about others' ego, sometimes, without seeing humans for who they are. ~ Way

Carol H oh brother….

Jacek G ..to enjoy the journey..

Vanessa K sadly true… however, it does help weed out the ones only looking for "good sex"

Esperanza F Truth.

Tuyet D What a pity! I'm too old to try it.

Fernnanda F Is the same to us, masseuse. Terrible. And i did study for to be a yoga teacher too, some years ago. its funny to see the men reactions to that. But just until to be a insult.

Steve B pshh… everyone knows that yoga teachers are awesome in bed.

Julia Z Never play small . . . . . Always be the best YOU that you can be. Great article! Thank you.

Erica N: Alex C

C. Brooks Tight clothes.. Bendy.. You will just have to deal with it. We men cannot be blamed. Totally y'all's fault. Lol
    Elephant Journal 🙁

Keli L: haha..yeah I get it..trying being a Tantra teacher…then they REALLY assume you are willing and ready to have sex with them.

Casey I: Jessica, read this.

Jared P I'm older,mid 40's. If heard that,what comes to my mind is a soul searcher. A kindred spiritual person,further ahead than I was at that age. I'd want to ask about your personal beliefs on religion,politics,the environment…yoga is another form of meditation&prayer. Namaste

Robin M Great article, thanks

Ken I Sure, guys should be more courteous and respectful, but there are places where respectful and courteous men are more 'the norm' than in your typical bar scene… "CVS carries some 'grocery' items, but it's not where I do my weekly grocery shopping for healthy foods."

Ken K many yoga teachers inner beauty shines through as outer beauty, lots of 20 something guys (and guys in general I suppose) only see the outer beauty when they see a beautiful woman, and their mind goes strait to the bedroom. Eventually you will find a guy who sees you inner beauty and he will be a keeper.

Susanne F this is interesting, when I was young in the 60s a nurse was considered "easy and to be good in bed". so my nurse student friends usual didn't mention it.

11. Teresa says:

Great article!

12. elephantjournal says:

Here's Leila's comment, minus the mean-ness, which we do not condone: "I get similar responses even at the doctor's offices…I think it's because we're physically attractive and then when we mention we do "yoga" or "gymnastics", a lot of guys automatically think "Ooh, a gorgeous chick who's flexible and therefore great in bed". I do notice that if I also say I work in the corporate world, they have more respect and don't immediately lump me with one-night-stands.

When we say we only do yoga for a living, for some reason, some men think that that means we're empty in the head…and all about sex.

I think the commenter named "Tina" who wrote the nasty post up above …sounds like you've NEVER been hit on before. Especially being a woman in a sexist society whereby women are ALWAYS looked upon as sex objects, I'm surprised the commenter's response is to blame the victim. What a shame for a presumed fellow woman to place blame on the victim…

• Rick Klingler says:

You have got to be kidding me! Where in Tina's response did she "blame" the victim and for that matter why do you identify with the victim role at all. If you are a self realized adult woman you must realize that there are all sorts of individuals in the world with a wider variety of perspectives. You appear to paint the entire male species with a very broad brush. I found the entire article a rambling incohesive word salad without a lot of substance.

13. sabine says:

Good article – thanks…and a few funny responses too….(yogis shouldn't go to bars – huh???)
    I agree with most of the comments – as a 46 year old instructor, married forever and average looks, I still get the same leering, suggestive oggling by (some) males when they find out I teach Yoga.
    Men are men ? Live and let live? Try not be offended too much and instead focus on the men/friends/women who make you feel empowered and real. Enjoy!

14. satya says:

Reading this was lots of fun…thanks to all who voiced your honest opinions…I am a 60 year old Yoga Therapist and Teacher (former clinical social worker)…these are my thoughts: the human condition brings all of us into a common place of being a mind-body and spirit….so we are sexual and physical beings…but so much more than just that….we are spiritual. As for men finding your physical occupation attractive (yoga teacher)…it is to be expected..you are a physically attractive young woman, with a healthy life-style, and interesting!..I am sure! So if someone of the opposite sex is open and honest to tell you their intentions up front…that could be a good thing..it is your choice to get to know the " True Self" of that person, if you also find them attractive and interesting…or NOT!! I wouldn't judge a man too harshly for expressing an interest in my profession….perhaps he really would like to know more about yoga (LOL)…it is all part of the journey…just enjoy it…keep your True self on track…if you want to find a life-long partner and soulmate..ask for a Truthful man…one who is in touch with his Real Self…and begin from there….frauds are a dime a dozen. Enjoy the journey!!! You are only young once…Beauty is vain and youth is fleeting…Ecclisiastes (or something like that)

15. travis says:

full of yourself much? Typical arrogant american … sigh ….

16. Nancy says:

I'm a single mom, yoga teacher, don't go to bars and yes, at 50 years old, I get that look from men. I had one 'gentleman' of 53 tell me "you know, all yoga teachers are nymphos". How nice…….. I choose to take it in a roundabout way as a compliment and laugh it off. However the men in class, whether I'm teaching or a student, are unite respectful. I think it's the men who don't practice yoga that are like this, I believe they don't know what yoga is really about, maybe need a little enlightenment? 🙂

17. Jenny Sonata says:

Yes, I’m a yoga teacher. Yes, I’m a godess in the sack, but NO I will not sleep with you. Yoga can be pretty sexy sometimes—so be it! Is there anything wrong with that? What about non-judgement? Some men can sexualize anything—I mean, there’s necrophiliacs out there too, so whatevs. Let us not take things so seriously and recognize that it’s probably our power in both the teacher’s seat as well as the power we hold as women. Some men get stuck in sex part, but that all changes when you ask them to DO yoga. Then, they either get really embarrassed, which can bring their ego into check, or they fall in love with the practice instead of you 🙂 Either way, they learn something! I say we use our sexual energy and attractive qualities to teach….whatever form the teachings take is what we gotta use ladies!

18. Ti says:

Typically, when some stranger asks me: “soooo, what do you do??”

My response is: “what? For fun??”

Problem solved.

Asking me what I “do” is akin to asking me what I drive, particularly in a bar setting.

It’s just easier to keep it light and stay away from judgement zones.

19. Austin Wald says:

I am also a Single yoga teacher, I totally understand what your saying. I have given myself what I call a "declaration of independence". I would love to fall in love, but like you, I just want to be the best me I can be. There is no hurry, and there is nothing wrong with being single, I think it makes you a stronger person. I wish you well on your journey! Namaste

20. Laura says:

I'm also a single 24-year-old yoga instructor who ended my last relationship after the first week of my last training. All of this resonates so much. In regard to those who have commented above about the bar atmosphere naturally breeding such comments: Yes, bars are places to meet people and where single people interact with one another, but this doesn't mean that those interactions can't be respectful. I don't think there's anything strange about being 24, wanting to go out to bars, and wanting to be treated respectfully. Thanks for sharing!

21. I'm 41, not single, a yoga teacher, bodyworker & teacher trainer for 13 years, am fit, healthy, a mom of two teens, and have been told by friends (and believe myself to be) good-looking; so it's not that I couldn't garner similar responses as this article mentions, but I think because I establish and maintain such firm boundaries in the teacher role, and work hard to create a safe, nurturing, learning environment, there is no room or need for men to go there. I prefer it that way — facilitates authentic connection. In 13 years I haven't had an inappropriate encounter. My professionalism and respect I experience in the community is very valuable to me, and hard-earned. Mind you this article mentions the bar scene which I've gone with friends on occasion but nothing of significance. And I'm a lover of life, with magnetic energy as @contentqueenoz describes, not just a serious yoga nerd. I also have yoga teacher friends & acquaintances who make harlequin erotica look like kinderfluff. Bless them. No judgement. To each their own. Good on Katie Collins for building her best version of herself without compromising her values. Peaks & valleys; loneliness can afflict singles or the partnered — every journey has its Everests.

22. Joe Sparks says:

Sorry Katie, our society has failed you! All of us were born expecting to have someone there for us to have our rational needs meet. That was our birthright, to be treated with complete respect. We are wired to feel completely connected to everyone other human being. Our parents did the best they could and tried to raise us with very little help and resource. They didn't want us to get hurt. They didn't know how to prepare us for all the oppressive behavior that gets put on all of us from day one. The sexism, racism, classism, homophobia, etc. sorry, you were conditioned like most woem to be valued for your looks, not your heart or intelligence. Again this is not your parents fault, they tried to protect you as much as they could. And boys growing up in this country are only allowed to get closeness through sex. This is a huge hurt, because it really dosen't help men feel close to another human. It is sad what we do to our boys, by turning them into "men" and making sex the only avenue for connection. Everyone is confused in this area, you are not alone. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

23. Stephanie says:

Wow- Totally feel you sister! I too, am a 24 years old, blonde yoga instructor. And yes, I love going out for drinks and dancing! Guys/men always have that same type of objectifying reaction after I tell them I teach yoga. The WORST, and most common thing I hear is “ohhh, I REALLY want to get into yoga…. Will you teach me? Can I take your class?” (AKA- give me your number.)

24. Solodadmaria says:

I know this one……….its an energy thannnng going on…………testing the strength and the female to stay true to herself and her own way of being………..keeping your energy and staying strong………….blessings………

25. Nancy says:

I totally hear ya. It really depends on the guy that you are talking to I am sure. I have told men at bars that I am a nurse and have gotten different reactions. Some ask me flirtatiously if I will “take care of them” and others tell me how much they admire me for what I do. When it comes to yoga it’s the same thing. Some men (pervs/ horny/ whatever) will talk about the bedroom (comment on how I must be so flexible) and there are others that really are interested and do like to talk about the philosophy. Is it possible to meet a man at a bar? I have yet to find a good one from a bar but I am not closed off to the idea just yet. Maybe it will be the grocery store aisle, maybe it will be a yoga class, or a concert or a club. Either way. We must remember that essentially we are all the same. Some are just a little behind on the spiritual path and they may not be the right one. Namaste.

26. victoria says:

I appreciate what you wrote. I am 22, recent college grad and a yoga teacher. When men have asked me what I do for a living and when I have responded 'yoga teacher' I get that look, or more so- the look down, followed by a smirk and some comment on my physicality, "So, you must be pretty flexible, huh?", "Oh yeah, you want to teach me sometime?", "What's the craziest position you can do?"…. the list goes on. When I tell the men that I just graduated from college and I am still trying to figure stuff out they tell me "take your time", "I've been there", "Do what you love!" "Life will work itself out and you'll be doing exactly what you want". All kinds of moral support. There's a dirty, sexy stigma with being a young, yoga teacher…. I don't get it.
    But my advice to you Katie, don't shy away from saying that you are a yoga teacher. I say it proudly and when I get the dirty and snide remarks I walk away- he's clearly not for me. If someone doesn't respect you and your career choice up front, don't waste your time.

27. hobbitdoesyoga says:

re/ yogis drinking: yoga is a mental discipline (not just physical). drinking dulls the senses (and harms the body). I don't judge, but this could be the disconnect some feel when they hear about yogis drinking.

28. joe says:

You’re going to the wrong bars dear. If you told me you were a yoga instructor I’d ask for your schedule. <3

29. HeatherM says:

LOL! Once during a yoga conference, one of my students was attending the booth for my school and not me. During this time, a potential yoga student or yoga shopper (male) dropped by. As my student later told me, he thought 'she' was 'me'.

He started off by asking about the practice, etc….and then slowly got into a pretty bold question. Looking at one of the postures he remarked, "I wonder if you could do that while making love."

My student then told him that she was not the teacher but a student.

He didn't seem to mind and replied, "so, does yoga help your sex life too?"

Best,
    Heather

30. Jimmy says:

As a gay guy, when I go to a bar and introduced myself as a yoga teacher I was always asked if I’m good in bed and if I can put my legs behind my head. I just say yes proudly to both questions and move on to new topics.

31. kitty says:

I’ve taught fitness since the 80’s back then it was AEROBICS. I hated telling people I wad AN AEROBICS INSTRUCTOR. so I didn’t . My boyfriend loved saying my girl is an aerobic instructor. I did not care to tell others. Years later I still teach fitness mainly yoga… And i still don’t tell people…. I’m annoyed with the gazillion’s that ask. We are all teachers. So basically I don’t say… And when asked I say I’m into Fitness.. that’s what it is. And when people go deeper them I may tell.

32. VeganYogini88 says:

The amount of victim blaming is immense in the comments. Seriously? It's her fault men don't know how to talk to a yoga instructor about something other than her body and flexibility? I'm a yoga instructor also and I get that. I'm in my 20s and married. But I still have male gaze issues. This article is addressing patriarchy. She can go to a bar if she wants to, it's not her energy she's putting out or the fact that she's in a bar. I told someone that went to church with me in a grocery store I was a yoga instructor and I got a very similar response. Place has nothing to do with it. Sexism and patriarchy are at work here.

33. chica says:

I’ve never had this problem in all my years of teaching. Only once, had something similar happened. A very handsome student of mine, (gosh he was cute! LOL) jokingly asked me to marry him after a one of my classes. He was obviously joking, but he was very sweet. Ajd maybe because he was cute….I giggled like a school girl and told him that I was happily married. I am an attractive young woman, but i guess I just don’t hang out in places where douchey men hang out. A rarely tell folks I teach yoga though, because it usually gets some kind of reaction and i don’t like extra attention. So, I just tell folks I’m a gardener, and they think that’s boring and leave me alone.

34. greg says:

First world white girl problems. Omg I dedicate so much time to like yoga and my body and like my mind and like soul. Im so offended when they notice. Ugh like don’t talk to me if your not awakened.

Guys like that see the absolute best in you in the first instant. We don’t see curvy lines or think about how you basicly just where tights at home all day cuz your a yogi. We know your discipline we see your dedication we perceive the clarity of your character . we are so over whelmed by the perfection in front of us that we just want to love it. And you will have to suck it up and take the compliment. cuz 30 percent of us have a primary love language of intimate physical touch.

35. Scott says:

You summed up your dilemma in the first sentence – “I walk into a local bar.” If you are a yoga instructor, practice your yoga in everything you do. Nursing is your Karma yoga. Yoga is everything you do. When you “walk into a local bar” you question your own intentions. You are walking into a bar to find “the one”? Why not walk into a more yoga like event? These days there are Sacred Music, Mantra, and Kirtan events. It is a much different crowd than you’ll find in a bar.

36. Robert says:

If I met a yoga girl, I would impress her with how well I can do the mountain pose and the corpse pose. I rock those! And if she wasn't impressed, I'd do the Lion Pose; but that's the limit of my yoga. I haven't gotten past that yet.

37. Jay says:

You try to find a partner at the bar? Good luck

38. Roger says:

You should date a yogi, not some guy you met at a bar!

39. Michael says:

That's one thing about male/female relationships; some things never change. However, my experience with the "newly-sanctioned" yoga instructor was much different. Since my introduction to the practice was through a very spiritual Indian friend subsequant to my wife's death, I expected truth (satya), sincerity, and someone who could bring some peace back to my life. What I got were lies and deceit. I trusted her because of who she portrayed herself to be, not because of her rock-hard ass.
    The caveat: she was a newly anointed graduate of one of those money-making, yoga-training programs who had been abandoned by her 30+ year husband. She even opened her own studio with zero teaching experience. Apparently, I was the tool to help her self-esteem (Svadhyaya?).
    All the love that was left in the wake of loosing my soulmate, and the progress that was made with my Indian friend, has been displaced with distrust and hatred. Our seed body carries our Karma imprint, so no school can change who we really are, regardless of what we pretend to be on the outside. There's a decent probability we will die alone, so for me, loneliness is my demon on earth.
    I remain a student of yoga and will be going to India soon. The help I require can't be found in a "western sweat factory" where the green "teacher" walks around reading from a poetry book during savasana.