Disclaimer for Yoga Studios: Yoga Doesn’t Care About Your Mat, or Religion.

The Elephant Ecosystem

Views 10
Shares 10
Hearts 1.0
Comments 3.1
Editor's Pick 0.0
Total Ecosystem Rating 0.0
8 Do you love this article? Show the author your support by hearting.
309.1k

I think this disclaimer should be read aloud to beginner’s classes, and posted on the wall of every yoga studio to remind us that yoga isn’t about the things.

Yoga isn’t about our lifestyle, our beliefs, our weight, our diet, our flexibility, how spiritual or enlightened we are—yoga is just about showing up and doing our dance on our mats.

Yoga doesn’t care what your hair looks like.

Yoga doesn’t care if you are vegetarian, if you eat meat or know what Kombucha is.

Yoga doesn’t care when the last time you practiced was—yesterday, six months ago, never.

Yoga doesn’t care what kind of mat you have, brand new or eating away at itself.

Yoga doesn’t care if you show up cranky or exhausted.

Yoga doesn’t care what religion you believe in.

Yoga doesn’t care what color your skin is or what gender you choose to love.

Yoga doesn’t care if you wear mala beads.

Yoga doesn’t care what the tag on the back of your pants says.

Yoga doesn’t care if you don’t know what yoga means.

Yoga doesn’t care how much money you have, what house you live in, what car you drive.

Yoga doesn’t care if you are flexible.

Yoga doesn’t care if you fall over in Trikonasana.

Yoga doesn’t care if you fart during practice.

Yoga doesn’t care if you ever make it into head stand.

Yoga doesn’t care if you feel uncomfortable saying Namaste and Om.

Yoga doesn’t care if you drink super food smoothies or drink coconut water.

Yoga doesn’t care if choose the back corner or the front row of the room to practice.

Yoga doesn’t care if you stay to meditate.

Yoga doesn’t care if you can put your leg behind your head, or lick your own ass.

Yoga doesn’t care if you know what Ujjayi breath is.

Yoga doesn’t care if you smoke cigarettes, and drink whisky.

Yoga doesn’t care if you need to leave class halfway through because you’re dehydrated and need to get water.

Yoga doesn’t care if you have a man bun.

Yoga doesn’t care if your monkey mind takes over.

Yoga doesn’t care how old you are, the color of your hair doesn’t affect your practice.

Yoga doesn’t care if you juice or cleanse.

Yoga doesn’t care if you shake the entire 60 minutes.

Yoga doesn’t care if you only feel comfortable doing yoga in Mexico.

Yoga doesn’t care if you spend the entire class in child’s pose.

Yoga doesn’t care what political party you vote for.

Yoga doesn’t care if you are single or divorced.

Yoga doesn’t care if you like Rumi.

Yoga doesn’t care if you like your teacher.

Yoga doesn’t care if you complete a 30 day challenge.

Yoga doesn’t care what version of wheel you go up into.

Yoga doesn’t care if you shop at whole foods.

Yoga doesn’t care if you remember to shave your armpits.

Yoga is just happy you show up.

Relephant Bonus:

Who Killed my Yoga Class? The 10 Usual Suspects.

She Let Go.

Love elephant and want to go steady?

Sign up for our (curated) daily and weekly newsletters!

Author: Janne Robinson

Editor: Emily Bartran

Photo: Author’s Own

The Elephant Ecosystem

Views 10
Shares 10
Hearts 1.0
Comments 3.1
Editor's Pick 0.0
Total Ecosystem Rating 0.0
8 Do you love this article? Show the author your support by hearting.
309.1k

Read The Best Articles of November
You voted with your hearts, comments, views, and shares.
CLICK TO SEE WHO WON

Janne Robinson

Janne Robinson is a poet, writer, bushwalker, idealist and animal activist currently residing in Vancouver Island. She cuts kindling with her teeth, eats Bukowski for breakfast and makes the habit of saying the word feminist as much as possible. She surfs naked, pees in the woods, and loves whiskeys that swing their hips when they walk and know what they are doing. Janne’s life-work is to be transparent. She makes a living off hanging her dirty and clean laundry out for the world to see. Her mission is to give others permission to also walk and exist with the same transparency. You can connect with her on TwitterInstagram and Facebook. Please also visit and connect with her Facebook writer’s page. Check out Janne’s website.

You must be logged in to post a comment. Create an account.

anonymous Oct 15, 2015 11:41am

Yoga doesn't care if you spend the entire class in child pose

This line stands out to me because it does't matter if you want to relax it only matters if you have the learning experience to be calm.

anonymous Oct 5, 2015 8:58am

Exactly how does yoga not care about non-violence, i.e. exploiting animals for food? I am shocked that the author refers to herself an animal activist and still claims this. Both yoga and animal activism oppose violence to animals.

anonymous Jul 15, 2015 3:37pm

Your asana practice doesn't care..

Your teacher doesn't care…

No one else in your yoga class cares…

The divine/God/whatever you want to call it doesn't care…

But diet, meditation, pranayama… Those are pretty important aspects of the yoga system. So even though it doesn't matter, if you are serious about your yogic journey they are important and *you* should care.

anonymous Jul 15, 2015 3:29pm

Yoga Doesn't Care, that's a relief otherwise I would be totally screwed.

anonymous Apr 30, 2015 4:19pm

Yoga is just happy you show up! Love this post! 🙂 Thanks!!!

anonymous Apr 17, 2015 2:06am

There's lots of good shit on EJ but this is probably one of my favourite ever articles for its simplicity and wisdom. Thank you, Janne.

anonymous Feb 22, 2015 4:09am

Love this! Heard it at one of my first yoga classes….heard it at the perfect time in my new yoga journey<3

anonymous Feb 9, 2015 2:20am

Dear Eddy, sorry for my English in advanced. I really respect you, your opinion and your culture a lot.
Please don't judge us western people just because of the fact that Yoga is not rooted in our culture.
I love doing yoga and get a lot out of it, although I think I am not the best Yogini in my practice, but does it change the fact that yoga helps? In my point of view it doesn't.
Neither does all the things Janne said about it, I think we should be a little bit more relaxed about the way we see yoga, because yoga doesn't care, yoga works deeply in our inner selves, not caring about how they talk about it, isn't it so?
I don't think it becomes a joke, I think it becomes more and more a path also for us westerns even if it's not the same way we practice it, it's a gift for every single being on this miraculous world. Namaste Eddy

anonymous Feb 6, 2015 3:06pm

I really liked this. But Eddy Nataraj is right…

anonymous Feb 5, 2015 10:22pm

Try substituting “you don’t” instead of “Yoga doesn’t” and see if you still like this… It’s utter rubbish for so many reasons. It’s just justifying ignorance and unconscious living. Yoga is becoming a joke in the west. It’s a science for enlightenment and achieving or true potential. A true yogi is incredibly keen, aware of the subtle and gross, and compassionate to the ignorant masses of people. Yoga is an ancient scientific system, not an entity.

anonymous Jan 22, 2015 12:43am

Thanks for post

anonymous Jan 15, 2015 4:50pm

I think this is an attempt to not ‘scare-off’ people from the trendy yoga classrooms they think they cannot fit into. However, to tell beginners, or people with many years of practice that the basic yamas of yoga don’t care if you continue to be violent (such as eating animals, or being unkind) it is a disservice to the tradition and teaching of yoga. The first of the limbs is Ahimsa, and cultivating non-violence is more important ‘to yoga’ than dancing or asana. It is okay if it is not to you, but yoga does care.

However, yoga will not turn you away if you start out imperfect. It will welcome you back to practice non-violence, to practice non-covetousness, to practice non-stealing, to practice honesty, non-grasping, and proper use of energy. To practice cleanliness, contentment, self-discipline, self-study, and surrender to the highest. It will welcome you back and teach you to observe breath, mind and body.

anonymous Jan 9, 2015 3:49pm

Love this!

anonymous Jan 4, 2015 4:06pm

I really enjoyed replacing the word "yoga" with "life". A lot of those phrases work fantastically when applied to life in general. Thanks for the great read Janne!!

anonymous Dec 20, 2014 3:20pm

I agree with the sentiment of this article. However, one of the pillars of yoga is a proper diet and a proper yoga diet is vegetarian (ahimsa, non harming).

anonymous Dec 10, 2014 5:07am

Absolutely right, yoga is just about showing up and doing our dance on our mats. Thanks for this article I will forward to my friends

anonymous Dec 8, 2014 11:27am

I get the intention behind this piece, I really do – and it's a great intention – but I find it very representative of the stripping away of the juice layers that is so characteristic of western yoga these days. Meditation, for instance, is a higher form of all-encompassing yoga (that being a lifestyle), and to throw it in with an explanation talking about Lululemon and man-buns is just a bit embarrassing and awkward.

anonymous Dec 8, 2014 3:03am

I kind of agree with just about everything in the verse, just changing one word would, I think, improve the whole thing. Instead of Yoga doesn't care, I say Yoga doesn't MIND. Pedantic maybe, but it would change the logic of the whole piece. Great sentiment though!

anonymous Feb 4, 2015 2:48am

I agree totally!!! So many people continuously say 'I don't care' when they mean 'I don't mind' It has a whole different FEEL just by changing one word.

anonymous Dec 5, 2014 4:33pm

Hari OM
Respectfully I need to disagree with the 3rd paragraph, specially because in those 23 years teaching Yoga a broad, Im watching so many westerns twisting, distorting the basic values of this Milenar tradition, which Ahimsa is the foundation, the very first step, "Non Violence", that embraces being Vegetarian as a first practical effort in case the practitioner is not vegetarian yet, before doing any Yogasana or Pranayama.

Paying attention in what we put inside and out side of our mouths as vibrations and words is one of the most important aspects of this Ancient tradition after the non judgmental state of mind, as Yoga as state.

I'm not saying you d be write or wrong when you choose eat meat, as this judgement and karma just belongs to the individuals choice, not to any Yoga tradition.

But saying that Yoga doesn't care if you are vegetarian, It's a sign that in the west people really need to go back to very basics of Yoga

Surprise me that Elephantjournal consent with this kind article.

With the best intention to clarify misinterpretations and to preserve this milenar tradition with all deserved respect!

Namaste

anonymous Dec 6, 2014 11:05pm

Hari Om

I believe what the article is trying to get the message out that yoga is non-judgmental and that people who don't know much about yoga such as embracing the vegetarian aspect have to first turn up to the class and learn all that stuff. If they think that they have to be vegetarian and free of all the that stuff above before they come then they would probably find it difficult find a guru to teach them all about the 8 limbs ..as they will most likely feel judged.

Namaste 🙂

anonymous Dec 3, 2014 5:15pm

Well, Yoga is not a living being. It's just a spiritual practice. So, of course it doesn't care. It's not sentient. That said, the core of Yoga is non-violence. Therefore, doing a violent thing, such as eating meat, will impede your Yoga practice. I will never take a Yoga lesson from a teacher who eats meat because such a teacher has nothing to teach me if they are being so violent.

anonymous Dec 3, 2014 9:31am

Beautiful piece.

I think as long as people find yoga, it does not matter the path they took to get there. Most people will not come to yoga because they are looking for spiritual enlightenment or to free their mind. They come to it to get in a workout and maybe to relieve some stress. Others because they wanted to heal their bodies or souls. It does not really matter how people find or come to yoga as long as they did which is what I think this article speaks about.

Eventually the more you practice and the more you learn about yoga, the more you will start to realize how yoga can help connect you with yourself and the rest of the world. I am still new to yoga and do not know much about it. All I do know is I like the way it makes me feel.

anonymous Dec 1, 2014 6:24pm

Absolutely right, yoga doesnt care about these things, but yoga devotees do, in extremis. Chill out dudes…this pretentious sh#t is so annoying to those of us who just live. Seriously! Just do what makes you happy. Every time an article such as this is posted any even remotely grounded person just inwardly groans….”wankers”. If you truly need to define your life through a light exercise routine then try ‘Jazzersize’ or the like. Peace, out.

anonymous Dec 1, 2014 4:28pm

It makes me weep to see my heritage be reduced to "dancing on the mat". Yoga is about lifestyle or a way of life. It is about meditation, enlightenment, and freeing the mind.

You don't have to give up everything you have and live a virtuous life, which is usually defined by other people and the kind of thing yoga frees you from.

Yoga is about having the right tools and practices that lead to be yourself and achieve peace and maintain that peace.

It's fine with me that not everyone understands what yoga is, but articles like this frustrate me.

anonymous Dec 15, 2014 3:54pm

Being new, and a little intimidated by yoga, I have to say, I think that it is these types of articles that help pull people out of their "comfort zones" and onto the mat. Once there, it would be for each of us to determine what it means to us, individually. I think no matter how it sliced, it is about finding and maintaining inner peace and balance, which, one by one, systematically, will make this world a better place, no?
    I think that what anyone else thinks about yoga takes nothing away from what I think about yoga. But like I said, I'm new. And often wrong…

anonymous Dec 1, 2014 3:56pm

This is very wrong and definitely should not be posted at ANY yoga studio. And stupidly long.

Yoga IS about lifestyle… which isn’t mutually exclusive with other lifestyles, but rather about how we relate and interact with the world. The name for this aspect of yoga is bahiranga sadhana which includes the physical part of yoga, asanas, which most of you know. After this comes the part more concerned with meditation, antaranga sadhana, which is the really trippy part that helps you free your mind and gain peace and maintain peace.

Google ‘8 limbs of yoga’ and stop bastardizing yoga.

anonymous Nov 29, 2014 9:53am

Is it just me? The spirit of the article is so inclusive but I have to wonder about the choice of photograph. A slim, bendy, naked female with her cheeks toward the camera.

anonymous Nov 29, 2014 4:59pm

This happens to be a photograph of the author of the article, practicing yoga exactly how she practices yoga. What a joy it is that people of all shapes and sizes can practice yoga in their own way, in their own home or studio, in any state of dress they choose.

anonymous Nov 29, 2014 5:09pm

Hi,

I choose this image, of myself, to accompany my words because it felt inclusive to the part of this article where I talk about yoga not caring how strong, flexible, or advanced you are. I wanted a soft image. This was taken in my cabin, and it was hot as hell–summer time and so yes, I was wearing a bikini and yes you can see part of my bum.

I don't find my bum or this image sexual, and I feel it adds to the article.

Also, a gentle reminder that slim, bendy women are also roaming this planet and there should never be shame attached to size zeros.

It isn't about the size of our waist anyhow, our bodies are like wrapping paper, tossed aside on christmas morning–it's about the succulence of our souls, the underneath bits.

I hope you took something else away from this piece, as well.

Best,

Janne Robinson

anonymous Nov 29, 2014 4:49am

Beautiful! 🙂

anonymous Nov 29, 2014 5:04pm

Thank you Gabrielle.

Janne 🙂

anonymous Nov 28, 2014 7:54pm

yoga doesn’t care if you go to a studio, reside on a mat, or dance, or do postures, nor has it personality that is happy or sad; yoga doesn’t care whatsoever. yoga is the cultuvation of stilling and focus, uncovering what “you” really is; care is generated naturally therefrom as tadpole from egg, moth from coccoon.

anonymous Nov 29, 2014 5:04pm

Lovely, yep to all you wrote above.

Cheers,

Janne

anonymous Dec 2, 2014 1:54am

This is spot on. However, meditation and some of those other things the author says yoga doesn't care about is what provides people with guidance to achieve this. Saying those kind of things does a disservice to yoga and encourages people not to look deeper into yoga and just think that showing up to their mats and dancing is all yoga is about.

anonymous Dec 4, 2014 2:50am

i don't think this piece is a disservice to engaging with a deeper practice as its intent is to encourage people to show up, which is always the first and essential step for yoga. i think it is the poetization to this end that has muddled the understanding of what it is to practice yoga, an understanding i suspect we all (and most readers) are basically on the same page with, though i agree that implying an essential modality like meditation isn't something yoga cares for is is a bit, um, uncautious 🙂

anonymous Nov 28, 2014 5:48pm

anonymous Nov 27, 2014 11:14am

Yoga doesn't care if you know what Ujjayi breathing is, but it took you almost 7 years' practice to figure it out …

anonymous Nov 29, 2014 5:04pm

I kind of know what i means, after four 😉

Janne

anonymous Nov 26, 2014 10:52pm

I'm turning this into a poster!!! Love it! Thanks Janne 🙂

anonymous Nov 29, 2014 5:03pm

Thank you Sanket–that was my intent. 😉

Janne

anonymous Nov 25, 2014 10:12pm

I love it!!! Thanks for sharing!

Sonya Ebers May 16, 2018 7:19am

🍀it’s saying there is no judgement who comes in and joins yoga, an yoga gently takes care of ways that aren’t helping a person🍀

Sonya Ebers May 16, 2018 7:11am

🍀Brilliant!....love this😊Thankyou Janne

Mark LaPorta May 9, 2018 12:26am

It's what attracts clicks. Yoga is quiet and not sensational.

Cognitive Behavioral Teamwork May 9, 2018 12:25am

Ma Nithyananda Udaysree Beauty. Thanks.

Mark LaPorta May 8, 2018 8:44pm

Again. When did we see this last?

Ma Nithyananda Udaysree Feb 2, 2018 8:56am

Thank you Anne Janeski-Bhakti Sagar for this comment. I was shocked to read such an uneducated and disrespectful article about yoga and that in Eephant Journal. I want to add that yoga has been around for thousands of years. Lord Shiva is the father or originator of yoga who taught it to Devi and the Rishis. It then came gradually down to Patanjali who organized the text, and now to us. Yoga is more than poses, it is a science and a lifestyle. To the author I recommend to get an yoga education first before spreading such content. Then again, you may not care about your karma either. To Elephant Journal I want to say, publishing an article like this is dishonoring the ancient Science of Enlightenment. I am sure that was not intended or was it? I look forward to better articles on yoga in the future.

Anne Janeski-Bhakti Sagar Jan 3, 2017 7:31pm

Hari OM. One of the core principles and the foundation of yoga is Ahimsa -- kindness in thought, word and deed -- to yourself and others. If you smoke, drink, or eat meat you are not only harming yourself, but you are harming others, animals, the environment, and the planet...... Yoga is a lifestyle not an exercise system -- it cultivates awareness of your inner Self and helps develop Buddhi and Vivkeka -- which then guide the choices you make. I'm actually surprised that an "idealist and animal activist" would write such an article if she truly believes in what she claims she does. Even more surprised at Elephant Journal for perpetuating this maya. Please read and study Patanjali's Yoga Sutras if you want to know what Yoga IS really about. It is one of the most ancient written texts about the "Ancient Science of Yoga" There are 7 other (neglected) branches of Yoga besides Asana --- Yoga is more about a lifestlyle than stretching muscles. If you are serious about studying yoga, it is a MUST read. If you are serious about your yogic journey, they are important and *you* should care. In the meantime, I encourage and pray that Elephant Journal will use more Buddhi and Viveka prior to publishing such articles. Om Shanti.