Remember Who you Really Are.

Via Alexa Torontow
on Jan 4, 2015
get elephant's newsletter

Contemplation

You are not what you do. You are not what you don’t do.

You are not the job title. You are not a labeled societal sub group.

You are not your personality;

You are not a happy person, a depressed person or an angry person.

You are not a definition of your own qualities.

Who are you?

You are not who your mother says you are.

You are not who your best friend says you are.

You are not your own descriptions of yourself.

Drop all the labels, titles, designations, descriptions, accomplishments and even failures.

Below the labels, beneath the layers, on the most subtle level…

What do you feel?

What is left?

What is there?

Who are you?

If you are not what you do,

If you are not what others say you are,

If you are not a set of descriptions,

Who are you?

Lets move a little deeper.

You are not defined or confined by the limits of your physical body.

You are not your beating heart, you are not your breath.

You are not your mind, emotions or thoughts.

If you are not all these “things”…

Who are you?

A better question may be not who are you, but what are you?

Take a deep breath into every cell of your being. As you exhale release all the labels, all the descriptors, titles, both other and self created. Bask in this space.

What are you?

Close your eyes and feel your way to it. Don’t define it, don’t put it into words, but feel it completely.

Do you feel a sense of spaciousness, of limitlessness, of infinite potential?

If you are not all or any of these things, if you can not be defined or put into words, but only felt.

What are you?

Remember who, or better yet, what you really are.

Remember your potential, remember your limitless possibility.

Remember that you can not be defined, by self or other.

Remember what you are, where you come from and why you’re here.

Remember your knowingness, your awareness, remember your truth.

What are you?

You are the awareness of all these things.

You are embedded deep within yet extend far beyond.

You are the driving force of all these things.

You are both the wave and the ocean.

You are both the dance and the dancer.

You are both the creator and the container.

You are me as I am you.

~

Relephant reads:

Your Soulmate Isn’t Who You Think It Is.

Dear Friend: I Have a Wish for You (& Me).

If you don’t already love yourself:

~

Author: Alexa Torontow

Apprentice Editor: Keeley Milne / Editor: Catherine Monkman

Photo Credits: Pixoto, Author’s Own

About Alexa Torontow

Alexa Torontow is a naturopathic medical student, yoga teacher and writer in Canada. She’s wildly passionate about preventative health, mindful movement and discovering daily tools that help us feel better and live better. Connect with Alexa on Facebook , Instagram , or through her Website.

Comments

44 Responses to “Remember Who you Really Are.”

1. Joyce Schafers says:

This is the best article I’ve ever read here…or maybe even anywhere. <3

2. Roni says:

I love love love this site. Some intriguing, some provocative, some exciting… but this one really drew me in as it hit on a pure & inspirational side. It gave me enlightenment today. Thank you for sharing this! This was truly refreshing and soul biting…. balance in all aspects I guess is what we are all searching for. Love & Light!

3. Rodney says:

4. Alexa Torontow says:

Thank you for the absolute sweetest compliment ever!!

5. Alexa Torontow says:

Thank you for taking the time to read it! So glad you enjoyed it. I totally agree, I think we're in a constant dance finding that state of balance… of harmony… on the many layers of our lives.

6. Michael says:

Nourishing & necessary…Thank you. Timely & uplifting…Blessings ~ back to you!

7. Alexa Torontow says:

thank you for reading! 🙂

8. Louis says:

You nailed it. Actually, no, you didn't nail it and that's why it resonated to that which is behind it all.

9. Andrew says:

Hey Alexa,
    Great article. Love your life mantra. Also, you are stunning.
    – Andrew

10. Shannon says:

Loved this!! Very thought provoking and uplifting and a great read to start my day! Thank you!

11. jjp says:

there was a time in my life, long ago, when i would not have 'second-thought' your post..but, at least for me..the ilder i got, the less 'potential' seemed to be enough…at some point, what you do becomes significant…in the end, it's not what you felt that counts, its what you did to actualize your beliefs…

12. jess says:

absolutely positively beautiful

13. Inspired says:

Agree! This is the first article that made me comment. I see it has profoundly affected others in the same way. For the past 3 years I have been set on a direction of great change in my life, digging deeper, and this made me dig even deeper to a level I have not questioned. I will be using this as my intention this year, and during my yoga practice.

14. Amit Sharma says:

I wish more and more people read and re-read it. I wrote one on the same lines, but not as good as yours. Thank you for sharing, thank you adding value to one more life.

Here’s what came it one day.

Labels,

Labels everywhere.

Numbers, measures, they boast, share and compare.

Atheism, Theism and fight for Gods and no-Gods,

And the one who think, they’re the lords.

Sorrow, Happiness, Life and Death,

Relationships, relatives and how they wept.

Thoughts, no thoughts and nothingness,

Breath in, breath out, but a swinging door.

Words, no words and mysteries they explore.

Life, gift or no gift.

People, light and dull,

People, dark and bright,

Life, but an endless sight.

Society, in and around,

The impact and what surround,

Control, no control,

Push, pull, bound, unbound.

Purpose, Goals, Achievement, Success,

And life here,

life there.

This moment, or nowhere.

Label, they’re.

Label, it is.

What you’re,

But a label, so far!

Label, you will be,

Of what you become, and;

Of what you see.

15. Andrea says:

Thank you !

16. JoanSmiling says:

I explored,the question, “just who do you think you are?” It was asked of many many times as a young girl. I’ve been discovering the facts as you’ve outlined in this great piece. Thanks for sharing.

17. Chey says:

Incredible.

18. Sandy says:

What a beautiful article. Thank you.

19. Alexa Torontow says:

Thank you for sharing your words!!
    It's such an interesting experience, and feeling to humbly attempt to explain the unexplainable..
    to put into words something that is far beyond words…

Love to you.
    Thank you for sharing.

20. Jack says:

I wish to unsubscribe from your daily posting on my facebook site. Just to many post I have enjoyed some of your post and other not but just to many post may the Buddha protect you

21. elephantjournal says:

Hi Jack!

If you'd like to do that, just click "unlike" on the top of our page. If you're still interested in reading, sign up for one or both of our free newsletters!

~ The Eleditors

22. Irene says:

Wow. Just read this. =)

Beautiful! Thank you for the inspiration.

I am feeling the play of light and the dark in my life at the moment, and this poem is very helpful right now. Thanks again. <3

23. yoginirenepractice says:

Wow. Just read this. =)
    Beautiful! Thanks for the inspiration.
    I am feeling the play of light and dark in my life at the moment, and this poem is very helpful right now. Thanks again. <3

24. Cash Say Ohm says:

Dear Alexa, i recommend you read Who Am I? (Nan Yar?), by Sri Ramana Maharshi.

Namaste.

25. Amaury says:

Beautiful read, I’m touched, thank you very much. You are me as I am you. I love what we are!

26. edhare says:

Nicely done, Alexa, communicating the message that we are more than we may see ourselves to be on our surface, but focusing on the more, telling us that even from the space of our own living and real lives, we can touch, see, feel and even live from that greater space. So many who try to communicate that message focus on the need for us to undo all that we are, but you send a simple and beautiful message — just go there, as you are, and in that space, whatever changes we want to make in the way we see ourselves will just be present and clear. Thanks for a great article that expresses what we need to know in a creative way, not a destructive one.

27. guest84 says:

There is something powerful in the simplicity of these words which prompted me to write it in my journal (instead of printing)…taking the time to do this made the message that much more inspiring. Thank you for sharing this with us.

28. Alexa Torontow says:

<3 <3

29. Alexa Torontow says:

I love that, thank you.

30. Alexa Torontow says:

31. Alexa Torontow says:

Glad you enjoyed it!! 🙂

32. Alexa Torontow says:

That is so amazing to hear, thank you so much for sharing that.

33. Alexa Torontow says:

Thank you for reading. I'm glad you are able to feel the play in it all… so important to be able to do.

34. Alexa Torontow says:

Wow. Well thank you for those kind words.

I'm kind of speechless right now.

Thank you.

Thank you thank you.

35. Alexa Torontow says:

I'm glad to hear that. Thank you for sharing that 🙂

36. Tim O'Donnell says:

I love almost every bit of this, and think I will make great use of it. However, I've made a personal pledge to not see any reference to depression that is unrealistic. This easily meets that criteria, "You are not a happy person, a depressed person or an angry person.", because it is not realistic. It's simply not true of those who suffer from chronic or major depression. Contrary to popular belief, this illness is as real as cancer, diabetes, or any other illness or disease that people are willing to acknowledge. There are many proven physical causes for depression, so it's not something you can just think away. I'm not picking on you, I have decided to help raise awareness and eliminate the stigma of depression in every way I can. The illness itself takes away so much of your life as it is. I can't let the stigma take even more from me than it already has. Thank you for reading, if you've made it this far.:)

37. Alexa Torontow says:

Tim! That's actually so interesting you commented this (especially in this time frame). This exact point about depression has been on my mind in relation to this article I wrote awhile back. I couldn't agree with you more! I know there is a very real chemical, physiological cause to depression. & I don't think you can just think it away. But I also do believe it's not the best idea to self identify with any disease and really make it apart of our identity. (At least in my experience in regards to different health ailments I found it very empowering to acknowledge that something is going on and needs tending to… yet not make it who I am.) But I am all with you for reducing mental health stigma!! I think it's such an important thing to do and I've been brainstorming of different ways on how to break it down.

Thank you for your input and contributing to such an important topic!

38. Gretchen says:

Thank you for addressing that paragraph regarding this post. I suffer greatly from Depression. I seem to always find different words for this because I feel as if I label myself as depressed then that is whom I will become. So I feel it, acknowledge it but I try not to claim it as a label for my feelings.

39. meladygypsy says:

This is beautiful. 🙂

40. Sara says:

This was a moving piece. I am going through a hard time and found it at just the right moment. Thank you from my heart

41. Alexa Torontow says:

Glad it could help in any way.

With love,

Alexa

42. Kyli says:

I am saving this. I ❤️ It!

43. Rina says:

I’ve read this before, don’t remember where. I’ve been in treatment for Brain Cancer since July, 2014. Prior to that, I’d been seeing a Dr for my “generalized anxiety disorder”. I’ve had 2 craniotomy surgeries (11 months apart), completed 6 weeks of radiation, combined with Chemotherapy. Then monthly maintenance chemo. MRI’s every 2 months. I’m now just 41 years old. I was 39-1/2 when I began having seizures during a family camping trip. My husband & kids quickly got help for me. Spent the next 10 days in 3 different hospitals, before proving I could handle being at my home! I’ve done therapy, follow-up appointments weekly. My husband has retrained himself to be Dad &Mom to our 4 children. Our youngest is now 17, a junior in high school. I was most concerned for him, but he’s pulling through. Crazy how much your life can just change, in an instant, no warning, effect your entire family! I still have hopes & dreams, but a different perspective. Take care of your family, friends & selves! <3

44. TahitiNut says:

"I honor the place in you where the entire universe dwells.
    I honor the place in you that is of love, of light, of peace, and of truth.
    When you are in that place in you
    and I am in that place in me,
    we are one." … Namaste