Why Vaginal Steaming could be the Best Thing we’ll Try This Year.

The Elephant Ecosystem

Views 10
Shares 10
Hearts 1.0
Comments 1.0
Editor's Pick 0.0
Total Ecosystem Rating 0.0
1 Do you love this article? Show the author your support by hearting.
580.6k

Vaginal Steam Herbs

***Do not try this at home if you are pregnant or think you may be as certain herbs have been known to induce labour. Consult your physician or naturopath before trying this home remedy.

***Also, do not do this if you have an IUD. Always consult your physician first.

~

“Hallelujah!”

Marisa exclaimed, “I am having the best period! No sharp pains, cramping, or back aches like usual. I am traveling all this week for training and it would have been awful if I had my usual symptoms.”

Marisa was surprised and elated, by the incredible results she’d gotten from what may seem like a strange trend. A trend that has deep roots and is making a big difference for women.

The vaginal steam, known in other cultures as the bajo, Chai-yok or yoni steam, is a remedy that is becoming known today as the forgotten ancient wisdom for women’s healing and is being fervently revived by women today.

Although modernity had cast aside this tried and true method for centuries, women like Marisa are beginning to practice vaginal steaming again. Why? Because it makes every yoni happier.

An ancient remedy that has been passed down through generations before us, the vaginal steam has been known to keenly maintain the health of the miraculous uterus, treating everything from painful menses, to endometriosis, to infertility. Though this simple process may sound like a miracle remedy, the vaginal steam is an easy and inexpensive treatment for any woman to use on a regular basis at home.

It’s time for women across the globe to remember the wisdom of our grandmothers.

Effectiveness of the Vaginal Steam

Rosita Arvigo, Doctor of Naprapathy and Master Herbalist, has spent decades studying with Mayan women who use the remedy on a regular basis. In a recent interview Rosita says that vaginal steaming is “a woman’s treatment” that is “universally effective for any aspect of uterine pathology.”

Throughout history, many women have found yoni steams to have the following effects:

• Significantly reduce pain, bloating and exhaustion associated with menstruation.

• Decrease menstrual flow as well as reduce dark purple or brown blood at the onset or end of menses.

• Regulate irregular or absent menstrual cycles.

• Increase fertility, especially when combined with Mayan abdominal massage

• Speed healing and tone the reproductive system after birth.

• Treat uterine fibroids, ovarian cysts, uterine weakness, uterine prolapse and endometriosis.

• Assist with the repair of a vaginal tear, episiotomy or C-section scar.

• Assist with the healing of hemorrhoids.

• Treat chronic vaginal/yeast infections, and works to maintain healthy odor.

• Relieve symptoms of menopause.

• Detoxify the womb and remove toxins from the body.

How does a Vaginal Steam work?

A vaginal steam is done much like a facial or nasal steam, except that in this case, a woman allows the steam from a pot with boiled water and herbs to reach the outer lips of her vagina. The tissues of the vagina are exceptionally porous and absorbent, and the warmth of the steam works to soften and open them.

When the herbs are placed in the hot water, their medicinal properties, including volatile oils, are released and carried to the surface of your skin, and to the inside of the vagina, where they are absorbed into the bloodstream and into to the uterus. The herbal steam increases circulation, thins mucus, and cleanses the entire reproductive system, allowing it to shed unnecessary membranes and build-up. The results are varied, and amazing.

How to do a Vaginal Steam

It is easy to try this ancient remedy at home. Simply steep approximately one cup dry vaginal steaming herbs in a basin of hot water, and find a quiet place to relax with the steam below your bottom for 20-40 minutes.

There are several ways to do this.

One is to place a metal basin with the herbs and hot water inside your toilet bowl, and sit as you normally would. You may also set up two chairs with bottom rungs side by side about six inches apart, placing a cutting board on the rungs between the two chairs and placing the basin of water and herbs on the cutting board. Sit with a cheek on each chair, with the basin directly below.

Or, you may purchase a special vaginal steaming stool to use (a chair or stool with a hole in the seat).

In all cases, be sure the water and steam is not too hot so as to avoid burns.

Stay wrapped in warm blankets as you sit. This is a great time to write in a journal, meditate or set some intentions! Once the time has passed, remain wrapped in blankets and lie down in a warm bed for the night.

The herbs continue to work on your reproductive system as you sleep, and you’ll wake up feeling healed and pampered. If you are like countless other women who have tried vaginal steaming, you’ll notice that your next period will be more comfortable, with reduced cramps, limited bloating and no more fatigue.

There are many herbs that are great for vaginal steaming. Note that some of them can have adverse affects if you are pregnant, so consult your physician/naturopath and do your research first!

If you’re not into the idea to steaming your behind with the same herbs you cook dinner with, though, there are numerous medicinal and aromatic herbs, some rare, that healers and midwives have used throughout history to support the female reproductive system.

These are the herbs that work wonderfully for vaginal steaming. Some of the most common vaginal steaming herbs are mugwort, motherwort, yarrow, lavender and partridge berry. The herbs work singularly, or combined in almost any ratio.

“We as women need to embrace our femininity and feel good about how we were created. This is a great way to relax and heal in a natural way!” ~ Marisa

I believe it’s time for women everywhere to go inside our proverbial red tents to discover our own bodies, and to begin to understand the gifts the Earth has given us to treat ourselves.

I invite you to share this knowledge with the women in your life, because happier yonis mean happier women, and happier communities for everyone.

Relephant Read:

Take Care of Your Vagina

A Revelation About Massaging My Vagina

Love elephant and want to go steady?

Sign up for our (curated) daily and weekly newsletters!

~

~

Author: Sierra Brashear

Editor: Ashleigh Hitchcock

Photo: courtesy of the author

Speaking of wellness 🙂

And, mindful sex?

The Elephant Ecosystem

Views 10
Shares 10
Hearts 1.0
Comments 1.0
Editor's Pick 0.0
Total Ecosystem Rating 0.0
1 Do you love this article? Show the author your support by hearting.
580.6k

Read The Best Articles of November
You voted with your hearts, comments, views, and shares.
CLICK TO SEE WHO WON

Sierra Brashear

Sierra Brashear, MA provides wellness services to the Boulder, Colorado community via her company, Vibrant Souls. Vibrant Souls sells vaginal steaming herbs and offers doula services, placenta encapsulation, belly henna and unique herbal blends. Sierra is also marketing manager for Birth Institute and currently serves as Secretary for the Board of Directors of the non-profit organization Midwife International.

You must be logged in to post a comment. Create an account.

anonymous Mar 31, 2016 7:14pm

Just tried v steaming to hopefully take away the constant cramping I have due to the nightmare endometrial ablation surgery, which was ironically pitched to me to solve my menstrual cramps. Now I have them 24/7/365. Miraculously, the v steaming worked (so far). I’ve had constant cramping for days now and during the steaming they went away and have not returned yet! Thank you!

anonymous Jun 11, 2015 11:30pm

Thanks for sharing this article. It is really very informative about vaginal steaming.

anonymous Apr 9, 2015 11:13pm

Hey Sierra

I was looking around and thiscame up

What do you think?.

anonymous Jan 30, 2015 4:23pm

I have seen the healing effects of v-steaming and highly recommended it to all women. I hand make customized v-steam seats. They are functional and beautiful. If interested or would like to see a picture feel free to email me .

anonymous Apr 1, 2015 8:23am

Hello Ashley, I am interested in seeing your customize v seats, however I am new to this page, could you tell me your email address?

anonymous Jan 27, 2015 3:58am

Could essential oils be used in the water instead of herbs?

anonymous Jan 30, 2015 4:25pm

No, they are too strong and concentrated. Could cause irritation.

anonymous Jan 26, 2015 7:33pm

I’m 66 years old, have never heard (or thought) of such a thing! Bravo!
I imagine over time (and even stress) the formulas could change. A younger woman may enjoy having
The balancing of these herbs for an easier period, overall health, etc. Maybe an older person (like myself) would benefit with a different formula?
In any case, I’m in, sounds great (and of course, the toilet bowl should be clean. Then it’s just the water (no problem there). Grateful for the article.

anonymous Jan 17, 2015 10:55pm

You do realise that basic anatomy means that the blood from you vagina does not go straight to your uterus as you're saying? It goes via the veins back to the heart, then to the lungs, then back through the heart and then back to the entire body through arteries.

anonymous Jan 17, 2015 9:49am

Can anyone tell me why it's not recommended with an IUD? & does it matter if it's copper or horomonal?

anonymous Jan 13, 2015 4:20pm

I’m sorry, but I would not trust your vaginal health to someone with officer manager credentials (the author). https://www.linkedin.com/in/sierrabrashear …….Speak to a real holistic practitioner for proper advice.

anonymous Jan 13, 2015 9:15pm

"*Disclaimer: This website is not designed to, and should not be construed to, provide medical advice, professional diagnosis, opinion or treatment to you or any other individual, and is not intended as a substitute for medical or professional care and treatment. For serious."

Ash- Please be aware of the disclaimer before the article starts, clearly no one is giving medical advice but more likely introducing a topic that many women have not heard of. Insulting the author is not helpful, and saying "I'm sorry" before you insult someone is not okay.

Thanks,

Katie RN, BSN, RYT-200

anonymous Jan 16, 2015 5:33pm

I just want to thank you for this very helpful tip. I am having trouble rounding up the herbs but I am not going to give up! I love my vag and I feel like I have lost my connection with her. I used to be easily aroused and now I am finding myself having to dig deeper into raunchy outside the norm to even get thze blood flowing down there. I had a hysterectomy last summer and I feel like part of me died when this happend. I am going to try this steam treatment. I hope and pray it works I love sex and I really love to masterbate. It is depressing not to be able to have that toe curling adventure at will. I want it back. Any other tips would be appreciated.

anonymous Jan 17, 2015 3:27pm

Angie there's an amazing herbal shop in Eugene, OR. I'm sure they would mail you the herbs you are having a hard time finding. The shop is called Mrs Thompsons Herbs. Google it. Also try Mountainroseherbs.com they are in eugene as well. Both places have the higest standards for the herbs they sell and grow themselves. Hope they can help you.

anonymous Jan 18, 2015 8:07am

Angie,
        Look into adding hormones…I suggest bioidentical hormones. You need a blood test to find the levels and I suggest Life Extension Foundation for the test. It's much more complete than one your doc will give you. You basically had your hormone system cut off at the knees with the hysterectomy. I am 52, doing bioidenticals, have kept my skin quality, bone mass and sex drive by balancing my hormones. Interesting article! I have never heard of this before. I applaud taking your health into your own hands…no one cares more than you about your health.

anonymous Jan 13, 2015 11:39am

Can anybody tell me what kind of herbs you’re supposed to use?

anonymous Jan 19, 2015 12:02pm

Hi Jillyrose! There are many different herbs that you can use, but some of the most popular are mugwort, motherwort, wormwood, lavender, oregano, rosemary and yarrow.

anonymous Jan 11, 2015 4:37pm

THEY HAVE PLASTIC TUBS THAT THEY GIVE YOU TO USE FROM THE HOSPITAL TO PEE IN, THAT SOUNDS LIKE A GREAT WAY TO DO THIS, I AM SURE THAT YOU COULD GET ONE AT ANY PHARMACY STORE LIKE WALGREEN'S CVS OR SUCH AND/OR A MEDICAL SUPPLY STORE. MAYBE EVEN WALMART OR TARGET ASK THE PHARMACIST IF YOU CANT FIND IT.

anonymous Jan 11, 2015 12:23pm

I DO NOT RECOMMEND doing the first option; yuck, have you read or googled the amount of bacteria in an average toilet bowl, no way…i do recommend you editing that part right out. Please do not be offended your article is amazing and worthwhile and I've shared it twice already this morning.

If nothing else a clean wash cloth soaked in the herbs and cooled to a comfortable warmth, gently placed in the area we are discussing, replacing with another warm wash cloth for a total of 20 minutes…does that sound like a viable option?

anonymous Jan 13, 2015 5:12pm

Thanks for your comment, and the bacteria concern is a point well taken! I would hope women would clean their toilet bowl first, or else choose another option. It also works to use a never-before-used camping toilet (bucket with seat) to steam. Get creative, ladies!

anonymous Feb 9, 2015 1:42am

This might work…place a large plastic bag inside the toilet bowl if concerned about toxins(still clean the toilet!), then set your bowl of steaming herbs in it. Can even place a large cloth on top of the plastic bag then set your bowl in place. When done, plastic bag can be used for trash.

anonymous Aug 28, 2015 1:19pm

good point, Angie! Still a very good article and lots of steamy information! I write The Yoni Care Handbook to give women rituals they can use to care for the yoni and I coach people in Empowering their Love life with themselves and tother.s The yoni steam is a great self love exercise. Thank you, Sierra for sharing! http://empoweredlover.com/product/the-yoni-care-h

anonymous Jan 11, 2015 6:35am

Is there a recommendation on the frequency of treatments? Would once a week be a good?

anonymous Jan 11, 2015 6:09am

Please can you tell me how often this should be done to get the best results. Thanks.

anonymous Jan 13, 2015 5:16pm

It is often recommended to do a yoni steam once after giving birth, two to three times within the week before your period begins to treat menstrual issues, every two weeks to treat a fertility issue, or four times per year for preventative care.

anonymous Jan 10, 2015 10:32am

You can sit on the edge of the bathtub, couch or chair. You don’t have to keep the water boiling, that would even be too hot. Think of it as a very strong tea, boil the water and let the herbs steep in it for a few minutes then sit over it. I know a few women who have bought one of those antique chairs with a hole in the seat, sounds ideal!

Jessica Taylor Dec 27, 2017 1:26pm

What is the real harm in doing the yoni steam one time if you have an IUD?

Spiritual Soul Haven Nov 11, 2016 8:27pm

I don't know of anyone else said this but using a potty sounds ideal to me.

Grace Richardson Apr 27, 2016 10:08pm

I rесommеnd еvеrуone tо takе this bооk for whаt it is, and еducаtе yоursеlves with this оne tоol in the fight аgainst сandida. It соuld improve уour lifе trеmеndously. I am nоw dоing SO much better аnd hаvе already rесоmmendеd this bооk to couple of mу friеnds. Click hеrе ->> fb.me/7Z4PQHBYH

Khushi Conner Apr 20, 2016 1:27pm

I am Alfie Lewis from Luxembourg I Never believed i was ever going to be BOILS Negative Again,Dr.ALAHO has given me reasons to be happy, i was ALS positive for 2years and all the means i tried for treatment was not helpful to me, but when i came on the Internet i saw great testimony about Dr.ALAHO,who have cured so many people around the globe with his Herbal medicine,so i decided to give him a chance to help me cure my HSV, so i contact his email :([email protected]) or ([email protected]) i explain what i was passing Through,he game me hope And assured me that i will be cure,so i followed his instruction,then he sent me a Herbal medicine that i took and and after 2weeks i was confirmed negative,incise you have the same Disease i will advise you to come straight to this great man, you can visit his website: http://dralahospelltemple.wix.com/dr-alaho or cell number +2348146226679 ..+2349056803606 Thank you,

Khushi Conner Apr 20, 2016 1:27pm