Your Body Ain’t Wrong, Girlfriend. {67 Untouched Nude Photos}

Via Alex Myles
on Mar 17, 2015
get elephant's newsletter

collage vertical cropped

Jes M. Baker is an internationally known blogger and body activist famous for encouraging others to learn to love and accept their bodies exactly as they are.

Bonus: Speaking of underpants, let’s learn about “maitri,” the Buddhist practice of accepting oneself fully:

~

Jes’s mission is to spread the word that we are all different. Images we are shown through magazines and television represent a very small proportion of the true size of women’s bodies and by comparing ourselves we are limiting ourselves and creating a culture of low confidence and low self-esteem.

To spread her message further, Jes teamed up with the photographer Liora K. to present images of 98 different randomly selected women (Jes Baker and Liora K. also participated.)

With no use of Photoshop or any other light or camera tricks to give any false illusions, the women were pictured naked, fully comfortable and fully loving their own unique bodies.

Jes begins her campaign with these words:

“Tell me something. When was the last time you opened up your browser and saw a beautiful image of a body shape that looked just like yours?

When was the last time you saw an image of skin markings that looked just like yours?

When was the last time you saw an image of breasts that looked just like yours? An ass that looked just like yours? Scars that looked just like yours? A belly that looked just like yours?
Unless you’re a celebrity look alike and have real time Photoshop (like, a program that follows and moves with you) I’m going to guess that for the majority of us…it’s been a while.

It’s been a while since we’ve (or maybe we’ve never) seen our body positively represented with that overwhelming flood of images that fills our social media feeds, televisions, and magazines.
I think it’s time to change that.”

DSC_1058

More from Jes:

“So much of the female body that we see is pushed up. Pinned down. Sucked in, tucked in, and airbrushed. Its only presentable state is when it’s altered, and so when we look at ourselves in the mirror (naked, untucked, and vulnerable) we say ‘My body must be wrong’…Your body ain’t wrong, girlfriend.”

On seeing the completed project Jes said, “I was in awe when Liora showed me the final images…each and every body is so gorgeous to me. I’ve flipped through these images time and time again, every click deserving its own breath. I see it. I see the beauty. I see the diversity. I see the vulnerability. I see the power.”

Jes also wishes to repeat this campaign again and again until the unrealistic perceptions of beauty become a “blur.”

DSC_1309

Photographer Liora K. spoke about the selection process on her blog saying that they set up a capped Facebook group and selected the first 96 women who applied:

“What I really wanted the women to get out of our time (however brief) together was that they were important. That their bodies deserved to be seen, that what they perceive as faults are simply them, and are neither right nor wrong.

DSC_1217DSC_1269

That showing their bodies won’t innately cause them harm. That their breasts won’t cause damage to those around them, or their bellies or thighs either. That their nudity, while making them vulnerable, does not make them at fault. And that lastly, their bodies are their vehicles through life, and to treat them with kindness.”

PicMonkey Collage27

This project was not set up to try to glorify or define one particular body shape or size.

Its purpose is to point out that there is no “normal” body type, that certain body types are not “sexier” or “more beautiful” than others. This was a randomly selected group of women and the photos show that there are so many variations to body shape and size—not just the small selection of images that we regularly see presented to us through the media.
PicMonkey Collage14PicMonkey Collage19

Each one of them is unique and beautiful in their own special way—yes, they may seem similar to others, yet they are completely incomparable.

No two are the same.

We are, each of us, exquisite and unique.

Bodies should be celebrated, it’s time we worshipped them and appreciated all that they do for us, understanding that it’s all our tiny imperfections that make us so entirely unique in the world.

Who we are is found on the inside.

DSC_1350

As the vehicles that transport us, our bodies are meant to be adored in full form.

In my personal opinion, it would be great if people realized that their negative comments or judgements towards people who they feel do not “fit” their perceived image of perfection say more about themselves than about the person they are directed to.

DSC_1326

Bonus: How to have a fun, sexy, heartfelt, genuine, mutual experience when making love:

Relephant:

Celebrating the Skin We’re In. {48 Nude Images}

Ripe: Aging with Authenticity & Grace. {Nude Photos}

Author: Alex Sandra Myles

Editor: Renée Picard

Photos: All images via Jes BakerLiora K. Photography and used with permission

Facebook is in talks with major corporate media about pulling their content into FB, leaving other sites to wither or pay up if we want to connect with you, our readers. Want to stay connected before the curtain drops? Get our curated, quality newsletters:

1,903,452 views

About Alex Myles

Comments

60 Responses to “Your Body Ain’t Wrong, Girlfriend. {67 Untouched Nude Photos}”

1. Rita says:

Great article, beautiful photos. Maybe you could do one of us older women over 50, 60 and beyond. Body image and agism with women can be difficult.

2. meranamlaurenhai says:

I run everyday-3-5 miles. I eat relatively healthy and don't smoke. My body will always hover around a size 10-12 unless I truly starve myself. Bodies are different and it doesn't always reflect an unhealthy lifestyle. That may make you feel better, to think that way-because it allows you to rationalize why you don't accept bodies that don't turn you on sexually. But then it's more about you than about anyone else anyway.

3. katy__didd says:

Nothing at all wrong with the women shown. Nothing at all. They are lovely people. Their bodies are indeed to be celebrated. The comment below is NOT their fault, other than perhaps their questionable taste, because…

Good lord this is a terrible photographer. The lighting is bad. The color balance is bad. The composition is bad. The poses are bad. This is horrible photography.

Leonard Nimoy, Jen Davis, and Catherine Opie and countless others have made fantastic images of people of all sizes including big ones. This photographer… has not.

Nothing worse than a photo series where the idea is not substantiated by the form.

4. rebecca says:

It’s so hard to feel beautiful, even when my love tells me every day. Used to be very fit. Used to look in the mirror and go, [email protected] that girl is hot. Got into an emotionally abusive relationship, had twins and in the process toe my abdominal wall. My weight is within 5lbs of where I was 15 years ago in high school 5’9 and 162#) but all soft and wide hips and dimply now. Bad relationship over. Amazing one ongoing. But i never look in the mirror, all I see is a tired face and my squishy parts. ..

5. Robin says:

I love this!!! You rock ladies!!!!
    Before uttering something about another person, ask yourself 3 questions; is it true? Is it fair? Is it necessary? We are all different in our own way but at the end of the day, we all have feelings! Also ask yourself have I walked in their shoes?

6. LizaLove says:

I am 32. Have had two kids. I'm 5'10" and a size 14. My cholesterol is perfect. I eat very healthy and exercise. My blood pressure is perfect. My Dr. says I'm perfectly healthy. It's hard for me to believe this when people like Aussie think this is healthy. I recall doing everything in my power to be skinny when I was a teen just to get into the single digit size. That was the only time I was ever unhealthy. I have cellulite, stretch marks from babies and my have felt the wrath but you know what. I'm healthy. So Aussie, I'm sure you're toned lean and a gym rat, childless and clearly very closed minded. I have a best friend who is a lean mean handsome fella with one hell of a cholesterol problem, and another who runs marathons but in your eyes is over weight because of a genetic thyroid condition. So open your mind. Don't make the world ugly through your eyes. It only reflects back on you.

7. YES….you got it right…

8. lovelylady says:

I have been fat since birth. I have always been active and big. My heart, my cholesterol, blood pressure are fine! No diabetes. I can still get laid. I feel beautiful and others would agree. I think these ladies are bold and beautiful. Confidence is sexy!

9. Jo says:

All of those women are gorgeous! I love it! I really wish I could do that. I’m 37 and I have never been this disgusted with my body. I’ve never had any self esteem. I have been dealing with mental illness all my life and one of the ways that I handle my emotions is to self harm. I’ve been hurting myself on and off for 23 years. And now I finally have a wonderful man who wants to marry me and thinks I’m sexy. It’s very hard for me to accept that.I don’t even want him to see me naked. It’s hard for me to watch tv and movies when all you see are “perfect” women. How I’m I suppose to like me when that’s all you ever see? My depression has gotten bad again because I think that’s how I’m suppose to look. I think that’s what my fiance really wants and it’s been causing a little bit of a problem. I really need a lot of help. I want to like myself but I don’t know where to start.

10. Tim Phillips says:

These pictures are great! As a man, I am tired of the image of beauty that the media tries to push on us. It’s refreshing to see such a bunch of beautiful confident women. Thank you.