Elephant would be in business without Colin Wiseman…probably.

Via elephant journal
on Jul 2, 2015
get elephant's newsletter

colin wiseman

Please join me in thanking Colin Wiseman.

We never know who will appear in our life, and change it—even save it—because we have a mission, in common, and different yet complimentary skills.

Elephant would be in business without Colin Wiseman.

Probably.

I’ve shown, over the years, an inability to give up. Elephant’s been around for 12 years—6 as a magazine, national, sold in Whole Foods, indie book stores…and then, now, 6 years online. We just reached 20 million readers, this month.

But five years ago, I was in foreclosure, and I didn’t have a web designer, and I asked Twitter (where I’d won two best in the USA awards for #green coverage) if anyone could help elephant. We had a nice following, but (kinda like now) made almost no money. I was counting change, I had no staff except for one former intern (who’s now our Associate Publisher)…and I was working on a half-cracked Apple laptop.

A bunch of webbies replied. One in particular stood out—he was willing to jump in, volunteer, serve the cause—to bring the mindful life out beyond the choir, and have fun doing so.

His name was Colin Wiseman. He lives in Scotland. His birthday was yesterday. His last day with elephant was yesterday.

After a year or two, I was able to pay him half-decently, then better. Things were hard, sometimes—he had a day job and was helping us out (a lot) on the edges of his life. Sometimes, our site would collapse or a plugin would get in a fight with another plugin and it’d be 4 am his time or, once, he texted back “I’m drunk in a pub”…and yet he’d totter home, or wake up, and help.

I’m not sure elephant would be here without him. I think it would be, and it could even be a great success without him. But I’m not sure. And that’s because he gave his heart and curiosity and helpfulness and skills to elephant, and learned along with us, and…

…well, thank you, Colin. I only met you once (when you visited to join us at Hanuman, a yoga festival, and you slept on an air mattress in my home-office)…but you’re like a brother, to me. And I hope to see you at my future someday wedding, and I hope to stay in touch.

waylon

waylon hanuman colin

And I hope every one of you, who might appeciate elephant, will take a moment to thank this feisty fun gentleman, who served elephant with such loyalty. And when next you’re struggling, remember to reach out—you never know who might show up for you.

Here’s an old video with a cameo by Colin at 2:30.

Yours in the Vision of an Enlightened Society,

Waylon Lewis
Editor-in-Chief: elephant journal; host: Walk the Talk Show

Readership: 20.1 million readers a month!
Follow: @waylonlewis on instagram.
elephantjournal.com, Walk the Talk Show with Waylon Lewis

About elephant journal

elephant journal is dedicated to "bringing together those working (and playing) to create enlightened society." We're about anything that helps us to live a good life that's also good for others, and our planet. >>> Founded as a print magazine in 2002, we went national in 2005 and then (because mainstream magazine distribution is wildly inefficient from an eco-responsible point of view) transitioned online in 2009. >>> elephant's been named to 30 top new media lists, and was voted #1 in the US on twitter's Shorty Awards for #green content...two years running. >>> Get involved: > Subscribe to our free Best of the Week e-newsletter. > Follow us on Twitter Fan us on Facebook. > Write: send article or query. > Advertise. > Pay for what you read, help indie journalism survive and thrive.

Comments

28 Responses to “Elephant would be in business without Colin Wiseman…probably.”

1. simplysolitary says:

Well, Colin, I don't know you but you're Scottish so that makes us practically kin. I'm Polish and have been to Scotland (Findhorn) and love the Water Boys (who might be half Irish). Ok, I'm making no sense. Anyway, thank you for all you did, I love Elephant and obviously so do you. All the best for your future endeavors. Monika Carless (official rambler at EJ).

2. Georgianna says:

Thanks Colin! Love The Elephant!!

3. brenda gabet says:

Thank you Colin for your effort to make the Elephant curl his trunk. You sound like a rare individual. Paint your ivory tusks with permanent pink ink…..That way you can continue along your passage through the jungle of life with determination and no fear. Thank you & I'm glad you helped out Waylon…and all of Us !

4. Keri says:

Thank you Colin! Good luck on your next adventure!

5. Kristy says:

Thank you Colin for all of your contributions. I reached out and Elephant came into my life just in the nick of time!

6. Ashleigh says:

We will miss you Colin. You're bee awesome to work with. Best wishes for a bright future. xo
    love,
    Ashleigh

7. Duncan says:

Cheers Colin. With all gratitude, go and love some more.

And if you make it to the Ormidale, on Arran, have one for me. 🙂

8. elephantjournal says:

I will miss you Colin! You've been so helpful to me so many times. Good luck on your next adventure! ~ Travis

9. Mellissa says:

Thanks!

10. Peggy says:

Thenk ye, Colin, for helping to keep
    the Elephant boat afloat! Guid luck on upcoming adventures!

11. wanderwoman says:

Jai Bhagwan Colin. Happiness and Peace on your new journey.

12. Connie says:

Thank you Colin! I'm new to the Elephant and so thankful you were part of its continued success.

13. VashonWriter says:

Colin, best wishes for a wonderful next part of your adventure. Thanks so much for all that you've contributed to elephantjournal.com. Those techie crashes that go bump in the night are a publisher's worst nightmare, and you have pulled it together more once than once, I'm told!

Namaste. XOXO

14. carleen says:

Happy Belated Birthday, Colin!! And many, many thanks for your years of service…I stumbled upon the Elephant and have been completely touched by numerous of articles over the past 2 years. A big hats-off to you for the gracious gift you have given all the Elephant readers. Much gratitude and best of luck on your future adventures!

Carleen (P.S. I lived in Glasgow for a year while attending uni and loved it!!!)

15. Jaffra Austin says:

Thank you, Colin, for all you've done for the Elephant Journal. I'm sure your energies were vitally valuable toward its current success!

16. Cat B. says:

Colin, I wish you many beers and lots of love and luck and all good things. You've been a blessing, every time I've had to ask for help. Truly appreciate you! Keep in touch. ~ Cat

17. John Cargile says:

Colin, Thanks for the service you provided Elephant that generated tons of connection, advice, support and love over the years. Let's stay in touch.

John Cargile

18. Thank you Colin for your generous contributions and thank you Waylon for the reflection on how people come together to accomplish great tasks; turning vision into reality

19. Deida Clark says:

what can I say…I'm grateful to you for all you have done for the Elephant. It takes great character to to dedicate much of your free time to an endeavor such as the elephant. I admire that in you and wish you the best as you move on to your next life chapter.

20. elephantjournal says:

love to you brother! ~ Waylon

21. Tracy Lepeltak says:

I am new to Elephant. But I have loved every minute of it since I started. If you were an important part of getting Elephant to me, than I am grateful. Thank you, and the best of wishes to you.

22. HangulChingu says:

From one Scot to another, many thanks for the support you've given Elephant. Cheers!

23. Jenny says:

Thanks Colin!!!

24. Amanda says:

Huzzah! Three cheers for jumping in for the clutch!

25. Claire says:

Thank you for helping to build this beautiful community Colin. It is a source of such light and healing. x

26. Helen says:

Thank you Colin … I am technically challanged , and 3 or 4 times over the past couple of years, you have responded immediately and with kindness and humor to my trying to subscribe or log in. Your sincere heart and connection was honestly felt across the globe. Rock on to whatever your new adventure is. And Waylon thanks making all of us feel included in your "cool" for lack of a better word at the moment , community.

27. Nicole says:

Colin -what a stand-up guy! To do this in your free time without much pay, will hopefully reap you karmic dividends in the future. you’ve helped to create a wonderful thing that is helping countless people. You must sleep very comfortably in your bed at night. Thank you.

28. Katie says:

Thank you Colin for all your hard work and dedication to Elephant! I think your actions can serve as an example to all, and there are now many people who are able to benefit from the sacrifice of your time and effort. We are all very grateful and love reading Elephant. Thanks again!