There are few constants in life, but change is the head honcho.
The flow of space and time grants everything in existence the gift of experiencing evolving states of being. The practice of yoga is no exception.
As a water lover and dedicated yogi, I knew the moment I stepped foot onto my board for my first floating yoga class that I had found what I had been looking for. Floating yoga enhanced my meditative practice, strengthened my core, improved my balance and allowed me to spend time communing with nature in a fresh and engaging way.
Floating yoga allowed me to transform and let go into the ebb and flow of life. I could easily and quickly access a level of alignment, balance and engagement that had taken me years to build on the mat. I knew I discovered something incredibly unique when all of my old habits of misalignment from practicing at the studio disappeared. My business came to life because I wanted to share this amazing journey with my community, and now I want to share it with you.
If you’ve ever experienced the challenge, the level of concentration, the beauty and the playfulness of this practice (plus all those sore muscles you didn’t even know you had), you know that exercising and moving on the water is 10 times harder and unparalleled by anything on land.
I often get asked why I would bother creating a studio on the water. The main reason: we are made up of as much as 65 percent water. The element of water helps us to begin healing at the core by connecting us with the cells and energy of our physical body. Understanding that matter and energy are essentially one, and that every substance can be reduced to a pattern of energy that interacts and interconnects with other forms, it makes sense to practice with water, the most essential form of nourishment.
Curious about other benefits? Here are five of my top reasons I think everyone should try floating yoga:
1. The board is our best teacher and partner. Balancing on the board gives us the assists and cues to help us self-correct into perfect alignment. These cues allow us to be more in tune with our poses and more fluid and self-guided in our practice.
2. It will improve our balance and sense of empowerment. Poses takes on new identities on the board. If we’re stronger on one side, our board will let us know, prompting us to correct those imbalances and engage equally through the left and right sides. The connection with the “sweet spot” of the board also allows us to find our “sweet spot” more easily and connect with its power off the board as well.
3. Our muscles will thank us. I believe in a whole body approach to health and well-being. On the board, we fire small secondary muscles that transform our body into one that is strong and solidly balanced. Since the platform is unstable, we have to engage our core from the moment we step on. We end with well-defined, beautifully toned muscles.
4. So will our joints. The soft, forgiving surface of the water is gentle, allowing us to softly sink into our poses. It creates more space within the pose to go deeper, as the poses are always in motion.
5. It’s fun and playful. It’s easy to forget how much fun splashing in puddles used to be. The inherently playful nature of water makes class loads of fun. Falling off the board turns into laughs and supportive connection as we get back on and resume our floating journeys as one.
Floating yoga connects mind, body and nature by taking the practice of yoga beyond the mat, engaging the senses with all of the elements, challenging stability in order to grow and strengthen, and bringing the body into true balance and alignment.
May this practice be of benefit!
Author: Jana Mars
Images: Author’s Own
Editor: Toby Israel