5.8

Uranus in Opposition—The Divine Union of Masculine & Feminine.

At midnight, on October 23rd, when the Sun reached its greatest distance below the horizon, Uranus stood directly opposite the sun in the night sky, shining blue and bright in the constellation Aries.

According to ancient Egyptian astronomy, Aries was associated with Amon-Ra, the king of gods, who was depicted as a man with the curled horns of a ram, representing masculine fertility and creativity.

In ancient Greek mythology, the union of the divine masculine and feminine is represented by Uranus, Father Sky, and Gaia, Mother Earth.

Out of the darkness and the deep arose Earth, and she reached out to her equal, Sky, who rapturously and radiantly returned her embrace and touched her earthly face on every side, and with their union of love the world was made.

In their lovemaking, a shower of semen fell like rain from the phallus of Father Sky and spilled into the sea, and from the frothing and foaming waves stepped the goddess of love, Aphrodite.

From their union manifested also their other divine children, the 12 Titans, who were in turn progenitors of the 12 Olympians.

In the Indian Tantric tradition, the universe is created, sustained, and permeated by two fundamental forces in perpetual and perfect union. These universal forces are symbolised by Shiva, the divine masculine, and Shakti, the divine feminine.

Shiva represents the formless, limitless, unchanging elements of the universe, while Shakti is the dynamic and potent energy that brings these elements to life and causes them to act. It is this action of life that is called karma.

Karma is expressed through the human heart and mind, not by the human heart and mind. The music of life playing through each one of us makes us, quite literally, instruments of divine love.

Before the dominance of monotheism, religions and spirituality in general have more usually viewed the divine as a cooperative balance, a union between a masculine principle and a feminine counterpart.

This more enlightened understanding of the universe as a divine union and expression of both male and female can be seen in cultures all over the world: In old Egypt with Amon-Ra and Hathor, in ancient Rome with Jupiter and Juno, in the Norse tradition with Odin and Frigga, and in pre-Islamic Arabia with Allah and Allat.

Even in Christianity, within its strict theological patriarchy, an instinctive balance is often sought with the passionate devotional worship of Mary, the mother of God.

It has long been my understanding that the divine masculine and feminine are purely symbolic rather than literal personalities that can be bought with benevolence, paid in prayers, or acquiesced with atonement.

The divine masculine and feminine symbolised in so many traditions appear to be the most accurate and appropriate metaphor to illustrate the nature of our universe and the dynamics of conscious existence.

The masculine principle is yang: mindful, strong, stable, calm, caring, inventive, and instinctive.

The feminine principle is yin: heartfelt, soft, fluid, passionate, nurturing, creative, and intuitive.

These qualities are not exclusive to one or the other, but rather they are shared qualities, manifested and expressed in different ways in us all. To be complete, to be whole, requires our inner masculine and feminine sides to be in balance.

It is not only men who must acknowledge and honour the divine feminine in themselves, in their paramours, their wives, mothers, daughters, and sisters.

It is also women who must acknowledge and honour the divine masculine in themselves, in their lovers, their husbands, fathers, sons and, brothers.

At this significant cosmic moment we are presented with an opportunity to appreciate and integrate oneness in our lives. It is an opportunity to understand devoutly the difference between dualism and duality.

Duality is simply to make a distinction between one thing and another—a man and a woman, let’s say. It is a normal and necessary distinction in our understanding that men and women complement and support one another, need one another, indeed cannot exist without each other.

Dualism, on the other hand, is to lose ourselves in the illusion that difference means separation. Thereafter, it is suffering caused by the construct of independence, rather than accepting the reality of interdependence. Dualism is blind to itself, destroying itself with the untamed tribalism of us against them.

Our human mission is to transcend the dualism disturbing our hearts and minds, and honour both Shiva and Shakti, Osiris and Isis, Mary and Jesus, as they abide in balance within each of us, manifesting the harmony of divine love.

In our current culture men and women are experiencing increasing difficulty in relating to one another. We are experiencing a huge cultural shift in the dynamic between the sexes.

As we chart our way through this turbulent sea change we must never forget that we depend on one another to sail our ship through this life, and find our way back to the harbour of hope, and home.

Today, the god of the sky stands in opposition to the goddess of the earth. Yet it is said by the wise, that not only does like love like, but also that opposites attract.

Conscious men and women the world over, it would appear that now is the moment to act. For it is our actions that define us.

We are presently enslaved in a pattern of toxic masculinity that is countered with attrition by corrosive femininity. If we are to live together in a civilised world, we can no longer regard one another as the enemy. We must rediscover our mutual trust and respect, and manifest our divine harmony.

author: Arun Eden-Lewis

Image: Toa Heftiba/Unsplash

Editor: Khara-Jade Warren

You must be logged in to post a comment. Create an account.

Arun Eden-Lewis Oct 28, 2018 7:37pm

You're welcome, Heba. Blessings Arun

Heba Tallah Oct 28, 2018 12:19pm

Beautiful.... thank you!

John Noonan Oct 27, 2018 8:22am

. This tree will grow old if it is healthy, and it will remain strong to protect those we care about. The second thing I'm reminded of here is that faith is like breathing. We breath in air, release it and breath it in again. Air is what gives us life, but we have to keep on breathing. We cannot survive on our old breaths. We cant live from yesterday's air. we must keep filling our lungs. Faith is like this. Its the point where science meets the Devine. When we breath in life our lungs take it in, our blood takes in the oxygen and spreads it throughout our bodies. Then we relax and gravity pushes the air out. When our lungs are empty, God quite literally breathes life back into us! It's a miracle we take for granted every day. Faith is like this. In order to find faith we must keep breathing in. We must keep seeking God each day, we must reach out to people, andmake ourselves of maximum service to one another. If we keep breathing in and keep practicing faith, the miracle of life will happen at it's own speed, and if we life in faith and love, peace will overcome fear and we can experience life as God intended it. Amen

John Noonan Oct 27, 2018 8:22am

Wow. Arun this is another incredible article. Very provocative and inspirational. My thoughts here go to exactly what you said, that we all need eachother. We need eachother's strengths and weaknesses. We need to be grateful for all the we have to share. That some are good at some things and some are good at others, and the we all need help on different issues. Like you said it's balance that we are after, and we cannot achieve this without working together. Balance represents Gods love. This is a pure love, and is created by working together in harmony. This is a result of dedication, and consistent work to learn more about one another, and to appreciate each other. To support, and to open our hearts. When we give the love in our hearts to one another, God will fill us back up with more, and together we can find harmony which will be resonated as peace and joy. This is what I believe the force of the Devine is. This is what our creatorwants for us. This is in important moment. When these two forcesmeet is when we can find balance. But we must be open to this. Not only does the balance of the world depend on these two forces, but also the balance of each individual. It's important to find our own balance before we connect, so we dont become co-dependant. Finding the power and strength from God allows me to be enough on my own, to find my source of energy from God, which is enough, and through that connection allows me to have the energy to bring that love and share it with my partner. Without my connection to Gods love, I would simply be looking for my partner to make me feel whole. GOD makes me feel whole, and now that i am whole I can be there for her. I can give that love away. It's a paradox. We must give it away to keep it. We must die to live. We must fall to rise together. The Devine spirit is pure lovlove in my eyes, everything that is good and whole and pure. This energy is balanced and if respected and studied and sought after, it can become a part of everyday life. We must seek our creator. We must reach out our hands each day. And I do this by treating my partner as I imagine i would want my daughter treated, or my Mother, or my Grandmother. I treat her with respect, and kindness, and honesty, and love. And I want her to be free, to be whole and to find herself and her spiritand live in another dimension of reality where she can experience joy. And pain and everything else we have in this beautiful life, but in the end I want to protect her and be there for her and love her with all my heart. The bond of the two most powerful forces in nature is a big deal, and this article hits the idea on the head, provoking many thoughts and connections on this idea. And today, under the full moon, I connect with this article. I have finally procured the ring I will use to symbolize my marriage to my lover. It was today, under the full moon that this happened. I did not plan that, and to me this shows that when you are connected to Gods will, things happen in their own time, when they are meant to happen. I dont feel it is a coincidence that this symbolic act took place under the full moon that represents the unity of our two divine forces or nature. I feel that its God work in ourlives being carried out daily. And it grows my faith each day to give all I have to God and try to be the person God would have me be. I dont know exactly what God is. I cannot explain the power. But I knowits there. I feel it each day, pumping through my vains, and by reaching out Ican feel my connection Grow. The power is unexplainable. Its greater than anything else I have ever experienced. One thing is for sure. I am Grateful each day for the people around me. So that I can focus on them, I believe that when our energies come together, this is the power of love. When we think of one another over ourselves. When we feel the power of Gods love. and share it with others, this is when harmony can exist. And in harmony our egos give up fighting and we can be at peace for a moment. Together, under one God, one energy force which is greater than any religion, greater than any one ruler or idea. It's the everpresent force moving the energy of the universe. The most powerful force in existence. It's a beautiful existence, it reminds me of two things. One is a tree. Our love casts out a shadow of protection for those we care for. The tree has a canopy that grows To protect them and provide shelter. The roots of our love give grounded protection for people to hold onto in in difficult times. The tree represents wisdom, and strength, and nature, and experience, and reproduction, and time. It stands for the courage to weather any storm, and to pass through all different seasons, continuing to grow and mature during any weather. It stands for the power of the connection of the elements, coming together to form a solid wood, strong enough to withstand the test of time.

Arun Eden-Lewis Oct 24, 2018 11:52am

Thank you Galina! More on the way! Blessings Arun xx

Arun Eden-Lewis Oct 24, 2018 11:51am

Thank you Denise, I pleased I've provoked some deep thinking! Blessings Arun

Read The Best Articles of the Week
You voted with your hearts, comments, views, and shares.
CLICK TO SEE WHO WON

Arun Eden-Lewis

Arun Eden-Lewis, known as Arunji to his friends has been teaching Yoga, Qigong and Tai Chi since 2001. His particular passion is bringing the authentic philosophies of these ancient practices into modern everyday life by helping his students develop accessible self practices that can be explored with integrity in their own time, even if it’s just five minutes.

Arun is also a qualified swimming coach, personal trainer and Natural Therapist. He hosts Yoga & Qigong retreats as well as Fit & Fat retreats, classes, workshops and seminars all over the world. His mission is to take the mystery out of the mystical, allowing anyone with the passion and commitment to find freedom, in body, mind, and spirit.