Elizabeth Gilbert Nails what we should do when We’re Grieving.

8.6

The Elephant Ecosystem

Views 10
Shares 10
Hearts 10
Comments 7.8
Editor's Pick 0.0
Total Ecosystem Rating 8.6
107 Do you love this article? Show the author your support by hearting.
16.9k

When a loved one dies, we’re leveled.

Grief can break and bewilder us. If we don’t tend to our losses, it has the power to knife its way into our core and destroy us.

One of the most mystifying parts of loss is the utter “goneness” of the person who’s died. Whether a death is expected or sudden, we feel the sheer absence of that person everywhere, unformed, yet hulking.

“Where the hell are you?” I whispered to my brother after he died unexpectedly. I’d sit on my parents’ porch in the inky darkness, chain-smoking, staring at the space between the branches.

I knew where his body was, but what about the rest of him? The part of him that strummed out punk rock versions of “Leaving on a Jet Plane”? That always managed to pick me out the perfect gift? I sat and waited for some sort of sign from him that would help redefine our new relationship, which was so suddenly and strangely one-sided.

But I heard nothing. No ravens swooping in, no sudden gusts of wind, no flickering lamp lights.

His absence was so stark and heavy.

Author Elizabeth Gilbert’s partner, Rayya Elias, died in early 2018 of pancreatic cancer. Gilbert has written openly and vulnerably about her loss, and earlier this week she shared how she stays connected to Elias by sharing a screenshot of her voicemails to Rayya on Facebook:

“This is a practice I started last spring, because I missed talking to her so much that it was killing me. I needed to talk to her. Then I discovered that the act of leaving her a “message” on my phone makes me feel like I’m in communication with her. Something about the fact that the message is being recorded makes me feel like it’s being received. So I get to talk to her, laugh with her, cry with her. Talking to her in this way brings her near to me.

I have other practices too, that help bring Rayya near. Every morning for the last few months, for example, I have danced. I say to Rayya: “You pick the song,” then I hit shuffle, and I dance to whatever music she chooses. Sometimes it’s AC/DC, sometimes it’s Mozart. It’s always perfect. This is how I get to dance with her, and dance out my grief.

I also write to her. When I need her irreplaceable advice, I open my laptop and type the words: “I need you Rayya,” then I allow my fingers to type her responses. She’s always right there to help me—just as wise and funny as ever.”

Jamie Anderson wrote, “Grief is just love with no place to go.”

To give my love somewhere to go in those early months of loss, I wrote my brother letters. I’d capture surfacing memories, made lists of all the things I missed about him, and occasionally even raged at him. When I wrote letters to him, or listened to music he loved, I could feel that cord of connection hum between us.

I felt, in those moments, like I was still a sister.

Grief asks us to reconcile the impossible: that we must find a way to live without someone we can’t imagine living without. It asks us to cross the bridge from our life with their physical presence to our life without their physical presence.

Grief is messy and non-linear. We step forward. We step back, back, back. We wonder if we’re losing our minds. We whisper to our dead, we search for them in the faces of strangers, we dream them back to life and wail when we wake up.

It’s not pretty or quick or comfortable. It stretches the muscles of our hearts so far that we sometimes think that we’ll die from the pain too.

Gilbert says:

“Never have I needed my creativity more, than as I navigate this devastating loss. I refuse to passively wait for signs, visions, or healing. I am unembarrassed to create my own healing. I will demand from Rayya, and from Spirit, whatever my heart needs. I cannot live without Rayya, so I don’t: I draw her near.

For anyone who is suffering loss, I encourage you: be creative. Be inventive. Be strange. Demand union. Find ways.

This is the art form that I am mastering right now: the art of eternal connection. Nothing matters more. You can do this, too. Love wants you to reach out. Take action. Try. Then try again. Your beloved is right there. Keep them near. Find the way.”

Many cultures have grief rituals that people can cling to. In the west, we lack these rites, so as Gilbert says, we must make up our own:

“Write letters. Send them voice memos. Wear their favorite flannel shirt. Play the songs they always listened to. Set a place for them at Thanksgiving dinner. Go to a medium. Whisper into the vast night and wait for answers. Light candles. Love them, endlessly, brokenheartedly, unabashedly.”

Give your love someplace to go.

author: Lynne Shattuck

Image: via Elizabeth Gilbert's Instagram

Editor: Lieselle Davidson

Bonus:

The Simple Buddhist Trick to being Happy.

What to do when our Relationships get Tough.

8.6

The Elephant Ecosystem

Views 10
Shares 10
Hearts 10
Comments 7.8
Editor's Pick 0.0
Total Ecosystem Rating 8.6
107 Do you love this article? Show the author your support by hearting.
16.9k

You must be logged in to post a comment. Create an account.

Lynn Shattuck Nov 19, 2018 2:15pm

Thank you for your kind comment, Louise. And I'm very sorry for your loss. <3

Louise McOrmond-Plummer Nov 15, 2018 8:08pm

What a wonderful article, Lynn. I'm going to remember to "demand union" with my beautiful husband. This will become a favouired article to keep bookmarked.

Shahzad Anwer Nov 15, 2018 3:17pm

I have made $110 per hour in one day.That was my perfect day in my life and my employer was quite happy with me..CNN is also impressed from my work and is quite happy..check further details by open the link and click on HOME TECH OR MEDIA. . CHEK THIS LIINK,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, HERE►>>w­w­w.m­­­o­­­n­­­e­­­y­­­t­­­e­­­c­­­h­­­s­­­.­­­c­­­o­­­m­­­ⓒ please don't copy "™" in url thanks

Pulkit Parashar Nov 14, 2018 9:11pm

(y) (y) (y) (y) Extra Dollars Earning Job (y) (y) (y) (y) Every month makes extra $15,000 or more by doing very simple and easy job online. I have made $17941 in my last month by doing this job in my part time. Very easy work in part time and regular earning from this are just awesome and much better than other regular office jobs. Everybody can now get this job and start earning more cash daily online by follow instructions on this website........... ↓↓↓↓ Open This Website ↓↓↓↓ ➙➙➙ www­.­Jobs950­.­comℬ Do not Copy This " ℬ " with web addres.

Kelli Anne Benton Nov 14, 2018 12:32pm

My husband started a Blog after losing his 17 year old daughter (prior to that he did not even know what a Blog really was!) He has now turned his first year of blogs into a book with the hope of helping others with their grief. https://www.westbowpress.com/Bookstore/BookDetail.aspx?BookId=SKU-001196047 His strength and ability to share his feelings has amazed me and it truly has helped him through this journey of learning how to live without his daughter.

Natalie Lewis Nov 13, 2018 8:03pm

Lynn Shattuck Nov 13, 2018 5:54pm

Natalie, I'm so sorry. <3

Natalie Lewis Nov 13, 2018 5:26pm

My brother died unexpectedly to. Beautiful article ❤

Lynn Shattuck Nov 13, 2018 5:20pm

Love this, Sharron. Thank you.

Lynn Shattuck Nov 13, 2018 5:19pm

Hugs, Trish. Thanks for sharing this beautiful expression of your family's love.

Lynn Shattuck Nov 13, 2018 5:18pm

Camille, I'm so sorry for the loss of your sister, Cara. It's so, so hard to lose a sibling. <3

Lynn Shattuck Nov 13, 2018 5:17pm

Thanks for your comment, Bonita. I love the way you frame it.

Lynn Shattuck Nov 13, 2018 5:11pm

Thank you, Khara-Jade Warren. <3

Sharron Anderson Erickson Nov 13, 2018 4:16pm

My Mom died in March of 2011. Her Facebook page is still active. I write her whenever I need to share something or tell her how much she graced my life. One of the ways I can still feel connected to her.

Trish Griffin Nov 13, 2018 3:15pm

My parents loved each other very much, and when Dad died at 62, leaving Mom a widow at 56, she grieved deeply. She would "visit" him at the cemetery, and leave him flowers and little gifts, and talk to him about what was happening. She kept some of his clothes, things he'd wear around the house. She framed her favorite photo of him, and said hello every morning and touched the photo. Our Dad was "present" at holidays and birthdays for a long time. When Mom was dying, I eased her agitation by telling her Dad was waiting for her, and now I dream of them dancing together. Mom's been gone less than 3 months, and my brother and I are both working on how we "visit" with Mom and keep her "present".

Camille Parker Nov 13, 2018 2:57pm

What beautiful you have found to move in peace with your grief. Thank you so much for sharing your story. When my sister was murdered two years ago by her estranged husband, I felt completely lost. In some ways I still do. But by talking with her, singing with her and writing to, for and with her, I am finding a way beyond the pain into a new world. a world without and within. A world without my Cara.

Bonita Kay Summers Nov 13, 2018 2:07pm

This is beautiful and such a powerful tool for grieving. Ultimately, we find all of our external reflections internally. This seems like a wonderful to start the process of integration, if we recognize that the separation of death is an illusion, and that we all are eternally entangled within the unified field.

Khara-Jade Warren Nov 12, 2018 7:29am

"Give your love someplace to go." <3 Thank you for the reminder, Lynn.

Read The Best Articles of March
You voted with your hearts, comments, views, and shares.
CLICK TO SEE WHO WON

Lynn Shattuck

Lynn Shattuck lives in Portland, Maine with her husband and two young children. She blogs about parenting, imperfection, spirit, and truth telling—you can connect with her through her website or find her on Facebook.