The feeling of having a deep connection and emotional intimacy with someone is unparalleled and still remains one of the most beautiful feelings ever.
The relationships that have a lot of depth, intensity, and compatibility tend to stand the test of time.
One of the best ways to bolster emotional intimacy in your relationship is by asking your partner some deep and meaningful questions. Such questions give you the opportunity to see a different side to them and help you know things that you might not have known about them before.
Here are 30 questions—split up into five categories—that will deepen the intimacy in your relationship:
Questions about love, relationships, and intimacy
Being in love means trying to understand your partner’s thoughts and feelings. Yes, it is not possible for you to always understand what they are going through, nor is it possible for you to always make everything right.
But trying to understand where they are coming from and how they feel can really help you deepen your connection with each other.
By asking your partner these questions, you are making an effort to know whether there is anything that troubles them and how much this relationship means to them.
1. Do you feel happy and fulfilled in our relationship?
2. Is there anything in our relationship that causes you a lot of pain?
3. When have you been the happiest in our relationship?
4. Is there anything you expect from me but have never told me?
5. What are the things that you love doing with me and want to do more of?
6. Do you feel seen, heard, and understood?
Questions about the future
When you are in a serious relationship with someone, you would naturally think about the future and whether or not both of you are on the same page regarding it. Before moving forward or before taking the plunge, it is important to know what and how both of you regard the relationship.
These questions about the future will not only help both of you know each other better but will also strengthen the intimacy you share with each other.
7. Where do you see our relationship in the next five years?
8. Have you ever thought about having a family?
9. How do you envision your life after retirement?
10. If we ever get married, how have you envisioned the perfect wedding?
11. What does your ideal future look like?
12. What do you want to be remembered for after you are gone?
Questions about joy and happiness
Understanding what makes your partner happy and makes their heart sing with joy will always help you in your quest to know them intimately. In a genuinely happy relationship, both partners strive to make each other happy.
Asking your partner these questions about happiness will help both of you understand each other better.
13. What is the one thing that makes you feel the most fulfilled?
14. What makes you feel absolutely free?
15. What are the things that you love about your job?
16. When it comes to our relationship, what are those things that make you feel the happiest?
17. Are you truly and genuinely happy with your life?
18. Does this relationship actually make you feel happy and joyful?
Questions about personal values
When you are in a relationship with someone and want to spend the rest of your life with them, it is important to have some shared values.
Differences and dissimilarities are always okay, but there need to be certain things that you both need to agree on. Knowing what your partner’s personal values are will help you see them in a new light.
These questions about values are crucial to knowing what they think and how they see the world from their eyes.
19. If money were no object, what would you spend more on—experiences and travel or material things?
20. Are you an optimistic or a pessimistic person?
21. If we ever have children, what values would you teach them?
22. Do you genuinely believe that inner beauty is superior to physical beauty?
23. What is that one value you will never compromise on, no matter how bad the situation is?
24. Do you think the act of infidelity is always black and white?
Questions about their childhood
Everyone has a different story when it comes to their childhood, and everyone’s childhood is different.
Ask your partner these questions to know more about how their childhood shaped them as a person and what kind of an impact it had on them.
25. Which childhood memory is the most memorable to you?
26. What did you love and admire the most about your parents?
27. What did you fear the most when you were a child?
28. What is that one thing that you learned as a child and still believe in today as an adult?
29. If you ever have children, what would you want their childhood to look like?
30. What dreams did you have when you were a child?
Asking such deep questions to your partner can lead to some really thought-provoking and intimate conversations.
Knowing how and what they think and feel on the inside can truly be a beautiful thing. Try this out, and I promise you won’t regret it.