“Cancels out!” I don’t think so.

Via on Aug 25, 2010

Riding way too fast, wrong side of street…this is the kind of self-videoing unapologetic cyclist who ruins it for the rest of us (though I wish the Idaho Stop would come to Colorado, myself).

Via the Whoa:

Ok…
f*ck this guy on the bike.

I am usually quick to argue for cyclists, but this shit right here ^ is exactly the reason
why cyclists have a bum rap. This f*cking douche is being totally irresponsible and
recklessly riding the wrong way on a one-way street and not only slams into this poor
old dude but then proceeds to talk shit to him.
File under:
No it doesn’t “cancel out” sh*thead and next time you are riding the wrong way down
a one-way street I hope a pedestrian cancels you out with a f*cking clothesline (ayyo)

About elephant journal

664 views

13 Responses to ““Cancels out!” I don’t think so.”

1. YogiOne says:

How offensive. Not the video – but your response. What makes the guy an "old man"? Why do you have to be so hostile? Yes, the cyclist was wrong. Riding against traffic is one of the most dangerous things a cyclist can do. Does this mean he deserves to get clotheslined? Dude, take a deep breath once in a while. I wonder of EJ published such hostility when it was a paper mag, or has the internet degraded the quality here? I wonder if that has anything to do with folks unwillingness to advertise here?

• Laurie says:

Ummm, EJ didn't write the caption. Check out the website WHOA. The caption was written on that blog.

• YogiOne says:

No, but he repeated the meme in his response: "poor old dude" Same way the Islamic community center two full blocks away from the WTC became the ground zero mosque. Repeat without thinking or purposeful distortion?

• elephant journal elephantjournal says:

I'm confused, Anonymous friend. The indented, linked excerpt is from Whoa. Clearly. Let me know how to make it more clear, happy to do so.

2. ARCreated says:

I don't know I'm kind of good with the "cancels" out theory…both idiots, both learned a lesson…both wrong, both right….
    Biker should OBVIOUSLY not have been doing what he was doing (like reading and videoing wtf?) and ped was WAY not aware. Everyone should be more aware.
    I do like that they both asked the other if they were OK…
    Maybe I don't have bike hostility right now 'cause it's summer in AZ…only about 3 bikers out and about until Oct ;)

• elephant journal elephantjournal says:

I do like that they both asked, too. The cyclist was okay in my book until he started yelling cancels out rather defensively…and, yah, probably shouldn't be videoing if he's going fast and doesn't have total awareness. We all make mistakes–as someone pointed out on our http://www.facebook.com/elephantjournal , at least with bikes (as opposed to cars) both parties were able to get right back up and get on with their day (as opposed to trip to hospital, or worse).

3. Cris says:

Yes, unfortunately in this instance the cyclist was certainly in the wrong and breaking the law. ALL streets, however, should be made safe for cyclists to be able to travel in any direction and therefore be expected in any direction. The only reason "one-way" streets exist is to provide for more efficient flow of automobiles through timed signals. If this street had an appropriate contra-flow bicycle facility the pedestrian would have known to expect a cyclist coming from the direction opposite of auto traffic. Bikes belong.

• elephant journal elephantjournal says:

Great comment, Cris.

• Squirrel says:

Yes on all counts, and I'll do a little happy dance when the infrastructure starts doing a better job of supporting bikers… but until that happens, we are still obligated to obey existing traffic laws, and this video shows why.

Also – was I the only one to notice that the biker was not wearing a helmet? Wear a helmet; heed traffic laws. It's not much to ask.

4. elephant journal elephantjournal says:

Via http://www.facebook.com/elephantjournal

#
    Alison Reid-Bretell I don't think so DUDE.

#
    Damieen Stanford
    Our city (Salt Lake) is FULL of jackasses like this. I'm all for bicyclers and I honestly try to be as courteous to them as possible. But I'm becoming so tired of being flipped off by bikers on the wrong side of the road, or being screamed …at for slowing down to get behind them for a right hand turn instead of speeding past them and cutting them off. I think the last biker who ran a stop sign, nearly bash into my car and started to threaten my life for HIS mistake was the final straw. This morning on my drive home (still aware and courteous to the bikers) I simply imagined just mowing all of them over with my car…. This may become a daily ritual. See More

#
    Bethany Gorski As a committed bicycle commuter (that yes, sometimes bends the rule a bit- a BIT- but never really BREAKS the law) this is appalling and horrible!!! Poor fellow… I mean it's true that one of the things I like about biking is that my transportation will never accidentally take out a family of 5 and it's true that this guy isn't *as* injured as if he were hit by a car but "cancels out" WTF?!? is this Portland?

5. Roger Wolsey BrotherRog says:

what i don't get is why that irresponsible cyclist a) was filming that ride and b) would post that video onto youtube!?

6. Sung Hellner says:

Your site offers a whole lot of special insights and data. I haven't actually assumed about it like that.