Caption This: BKS Iyengar Blesses Bikram Choudhury? (photo)

Via on Sep 1, 2010

Bikram and Iyengar walk into a bar…well sorta. (see photo)

My, Bikram, what a bulbous shiny dome you have, perfect for ‘circus’ tricks like headstand! Let me get you a strap, for your ego, er…elbows.

This photo find has us tickled with befuddlement. It was not photoshopped!

Via facebook:

Bikram receiving a blessing from BKS Iyengar! One of our teacher training classmates, Judes Yang, took this photo while travelling [sic] with Bikram in India when he visited Iyengar.

So there you have it. One love, y’all.

What’s YOUR caption?

read more at yogadork.com

About YogaDork

YogaDork.com is a blog about yoga to the max, offering commentary on the latest yoga news with wit and wisdom. Fun! ... Recently featured in the New York Times --->YD on twitter @yogadork --->yogadork is on facebook

Comments

25 Responses to “Caption This: BKS Iyengar Blesses Bikram Choudhury? (photo)”

1. Zenhound says:

Iyengar demonstrates the latest yoga craze, khalati yoga, rubbing a bald master's head for a sense of calm and well-being.

2. "Olympics? You should have your head examined. On second thought, let's do that right now."

Bob W.

3. “Just keep smiling. I’m going to twist your head off for ruining Yoga, you bastard.”

Bob W.

4. "Olympics? You should have your head examined. On second thought, let's do that right now."

Bob W.

5. bill m. says:

Let me feel my new crystal ball….

6. Aron Stein Aron says:

You! Dirty Little Hobbit….It was you that stole the Precious….

7. Tommy Burke says:

Just as I thought….hollow!

8. Hunter says:

All I have to do is stop the movement of the temporal bones and then…

9. Hello Mary From 1999 – 2004 I practiced Bikram Yoga on average 5 times per week. I've taught over 4000 Bikram classes. As human being go, Bikram is charming fellow who has made an amazing contribution to humanity. But this silliness about "lock the knee" is so overrated. Look, if you hyper-extend any joint (whether it's a shoulder, knee, elbow, hip), you lose the capacity to lengthen out your core which I define as the space from your pelvic floor to your solar plexus. Once you lose the capacity to lengthen out of your core, any asana has reduced value.

So many Bikram yogis stop practicing after 3 – 4 years because they injure themselves by over-stretching the soft tissue in the joints. And they don't know to heal themselves. The Hot Yoga that was so healing becomes their undoing. Isn't it odd how many people have gone through Bikram's training & are no longer in the business of teaching Bikram Yoga? Bikram himself does NOT practice Bikram Yoga. When I last saw Raj, which was admittedly awhile ago (I got so disgusted with Bikram for calling Rajashri "a bitch" because she refused to do an impromtu advanced posture demo that I just could not participate in Bikram's universe anymore.) Anyway Raj's body looked like a wreck from over-stretching her knees, neck, shoulders. So can we get away from the language of a "locked knee" & just describe the joint? Is the knee hyper-extended? Or is it slightly bent? Does the quad muscle group support the body's weight? Or is the joint supporting the weight? Is the spine lengthening from the inside out in the posture? From my perspective, these are the important questions.

If Bikram Yoga fails to address these sort of fundamental body mechanic issues, eventually the instruction will need to improve. Or it will lose relevance in the market. You sound like an ardent Bikram Yoga practitioner & possibly a teacher. Great! If you wish to discuss any of these issues in greater detail, I'd be happy to hear your views.
    Peter Sklivas
    Beverly Farms, MA
    Yoga Passion

10. Mary says:

Locking the knee has nothing whatsoever to do with hyper extending the joint.
    I have nothing more to say on this matter.
    Thank you for the forum.

Sincerely,
    Mary Dillon

11. One of the scariest films of all time is The Changeling with George C. Scott.

12. D says:

Guys, I realize there's been some time since someone posted here but I'll still add this: there's a lot more to this subject than meets the eye. For a little bit more info. on the Bikram-Iyengar connection see this article: http://www.yogachicago.com/nov10/bikram.shtml.

Beyond that, we have two yoga styles which can take the practitioner to the same destination. We have two yogis who respect each other and share a connection. There's no need to throw stones either way.

Merry Christmas,

D.

13. rahul arora says:

HE is rubbing his head so that all pervertness will calm down and he become good human being start respecting women and and treat young girls as a his daughter not as sex object he got sue on sexual harrasment case hope he will get hard punishment

God Bless Him some Huminity