Happy Buy Nothing Day! 13 posters, 13 things to do.
13 Posters: Buy Nothing Day. 13 Things to Do instead of “Black Friday.”
Here’s three things I suggest you do on Buy Nothing Day/Black Friday.
It’s the biggest shopping day of the year. Nothing’s wrong with shopping—if what you’re buying has meaning and purpose. So if you have to buy something, make it life-changing.
2. If you are going to buy gifts, shop local.
3. And if you aren’t going to buy anything, practice fundamental happiness and contentment with a loved one.
~ Waylon Lewis, ed.
Here’s 10 more, via a great list. Linked below:
1. Go to a library. Pick up some new books. here are a few reading lists to give you some ideas, the worsted witch, canada reads, 1001 books you should read before you die.
2. Bake something using things you have in your cupboard. Or bake something you’ve never made before. check out Orangette for some great ideas, (i’ve enjoyed everything I’ve made of hers).
3. Make a list of raw materials you have in your house, (things you could recycle or alter to create something new). Find some projects to make using things on your list. Resources: Make, Craft, Instructables, Readymade, Supernaturale, get crafty, make your own gifts out of recycled sweaters, (see example here.)
4. Write a letter.
-to someone you care about
-to a politician (requesting change on a topic you care about)
-to a corporation
5. Plan an expedition. Take a walk in nature. collect a variety of items you find on your travels. Use the items to a) make a mobile, or b) decorate your home.
6. Create some guerilla art pieces & install them with friends. See some examples here.
7. Install your very own Portable Xmas Tree, (completely free!) And while your at it, create some Instant Snow.
8. Have a clothing (or stuff) swap party with friends. for directions see the Naked Lady Party.
9. Donate to something you believe in. (or sign up to volunteer somewhere).
10. Write about the best gifts you ever received. (my story)
for more ideas visit the official website for buy nothing day.
hot on elephant
A letter to the Anger that refuses to Leave Me. 1,385 share Learn to Rock your Social Media & Write Mindfully with Waylon Lewis & Elephant’s Editors. 5 shares Why I Snort Raw Cacao. 9,514 shares The Best Marriage Advice from a Divorced Woman. 2,028 shares 2017 is The Year of Kali, Goddess of Endings & Beginnings. 12,188 shares If you Love her, Don’t Destroy Her. 7,941 shares How to Disentangle ourselves from Karmic Relationships that Drive us Crazy. 153 shares The True Meaning of Friday the 13th (isn’t what we think). 5,245 shares The 6 Best Spiritual Teachings of Wayne Dyer to help us Get Over Ourselves. 1,834 share Use This Buddhist Practice to Overcome Self-Doubt. 413 shares