For deep cleaning and whitening my teeth, I’ve found that the Ayurvedic remedy called “oil pulling” works better than going to the dentist.
An expert weighs in on how to do it…in-depth:
I first discovered this process about seven years ago on the website for natural remedies called earthclinic.com. It requires only a tablespoon of sesame oil (supposedly sunflower oil works too), so it’s easy enough to try. Since my first time, I’ve been blown away by how well it works–it whitens my teeth and draws phlegm from my body with dramatic effect.
Supposedly, oil pulling has other health benefits too–various websites claim that it doesn’t just whiten our teeth and draw out phlegm; it draws out toxins as well, leading to clearer skin, among other things. But I can’t vouch for anything other than what I’ve seen: whiter teeth, clearer lungs.
I’ve had many friends try it, and all but one have had wonderful, similar effects (the one friend didn’t notice much difference.) If you’re curious, here’s what I do:
- Brush your teeth and floss.
- Pour one tablespoon of sesame oil (or sunflower oil) into your mouth.
- Swish the oil around in your mouth without swallowing it for 15-20 minutes, and pull the oil through your teeth as you swish. If your jaw muscles become sore while swishing, you’re working too hard. Relax your jaw. While swishing, the oil will become white and foamy. This is normal.
- After 15 or 20 minutes, spit the oil (now white foam) into the sink drain or toilet. If you choose the sink, be sure to clean it afterward; the substance contains toxins.
- Finally, rinse your mouth out 2-3 times with warm water, followed by some form of mouthwash. (Sometimes I brush my teeth again instead of using mouthwash.)
Here’s a video that explains the exact same process:
hot on elephant
Elephant Journal’s Holiday Gift Guide 636 shares A letter to the Anger that refuses to Leave Me. 590 shares Waylon’s favorite Ethical Gifts. 13 shares Learn Social Media, Writing, Editing & Journalism Ethics with elephantjournal.com. 1 share The Real Reason so many Long-term Relationships Fail Sexually. 953 shares Trevor Noah just won my Respect. 2,562 shares Year of the Fire Rooster 2017: What to Expect. 986 shares December Forecast: Letting Go of 2016 & Leaning into 2017 with Love. 7,433 shares Why a Year of No Dating was the Best Thing I ever did for Myself. 7,362 shares These Tweets (and Retweets) actually Happened. 1,390 share