For deep cleaning and whitening my teeth, I’ve found that the Ayurvedic remedy called “oil pulling” works better than going to the dentist.
An expert weighs in on how to do it…in-depth:
I first discovered this process about seven years ago on the website for natural remedies called earthclinic.com. It requires only a tablespoon of sesame oil (supposedly sunflower oil works too), so it’s easy enough to try. Since my first time, I’ve been blown away by how well it works–it whitens my teeth and draws phlegm from my body with dramatic effect.
Supposedly, oil pulling has other health benefits too–various websites claim that it doesn’t just whiten our teeth and draw out phlegm; it draws out toxins as well, leading to clearer skin, among other things. But I can’t vouch for anything other than what I’ve seen: whiter teeth, clearer lungs.
I’ve had many friends try it, and all but one have had wonderful, similar effects (the one friend didn’t notice much difference.) If you’re curious, here’s what I do:
- Brush your teeth and floss.
- Pour one tablespoon of sesame oil (or sunflower oil) into your mouth.
- Swish the oil around in your mouth without swallowing it for 15-20 minutes, and pull the oil through your teeth as you swish. If your jaw muscles become sore while swishing, you’re working too hard. Relax your jaw. While swishing, the oil will become white and foamy. This is normal.
- After 15 or 20 minutes, spit the oil (now white foam) into the sink drain or toilet. If you choose the sink, be sure to clean it afterward; the substance contains toxins.
- Finally, rinse your mouth out 2-3 times with warm water, followed by some form of mouthwash. (Sometimes I brush my teeth again instead of using mouthwash.)
Here’s a video that explains the exact same process:
hot on elephant
The story behind the Elephant-headed God. 439 shares September’s Black Moon: The Rare, Powerful, Feminine Goddess Lilith. 63,136 shares Will & Grace are Back after 10 years & it’s the Funniest 10 minutes of Election Commentary Ever. 16,795 shares October Energy Forecast: Prepare for Limitless, Unconditional Love. 7,687 shares The Fourth Kind of Love. 2,588 shares How Open-Hearted Men can Show Up for Strong, Independent Women. 3,596 shares What Teens need from their Parents. (Hint: It’s not Grounding & Punishment.) 2,036 shares I am Who I am Thanks to You—The 5 Most Important People we Meet in Life. 2,086 shares 10 Good Reasons Not to Contact your Ex. 874 shares The True Story of a 5-year-old Colorado Cannabis Refugee. 342 shares