I was preparing the derisive jokes before even watching this…but, gotta say, the video converted me pretty well. It looks like fun, it looks like it’d loosen up self-serious yogis, and it looks like it’d do me good on the dance floor and help keep me in good shape.
What is Breakti? (more info on my website)
NO EXPERIENCE REQUIRED….
Breakti is an effort to create union (yoga) with gravity, music and our collective and individual experiences. We do this by weaving philosophy and specific structural principles of yoga together with music to inform a deeper understanding of our relationship to the floor and to rhythm, ultimately providing a foundation for the more dynamic movement of street dance (i.e. breakin’, house, rocking)
What to expect in class:
• 30-40 minutes of yoga with specific intention and instruction as a warm up and preparation for more dynamic movements that are very much analagous and related to the yoga…
• We take the yoga mats away and throw on our hoodies and long sleeve shirts and dig into the floor. Back spins. Six steps. The physics of balancing on different body parts.
• No experience necessary. At all. Just an open mind and happy feet.
In each part of this series we will focus on a different aspect of the movement. Topics addressed will include:
- Transferring weight and traveling in new ways (outside of walking or running, using hands, shoulders, back, etc.)
- Getting comfortable being on your hands
- How arm balances in yoga translate to freezes and vice versa
- Accessing your core in different positions
Uprocking/Toprocking (upright movement) and Go Downs (transitions to the floor)
hot on elephant
Elephant Journal’s Holiday Gift Guide 636 shares A letter to the Anger that refuses to Leave Me. 653 shares Waylon’s favorite Ethical Gifts. 13 shares Learn Social Media, Writing, Editing & Journalism Ethics with elephantjournal.com. 9 shares Dear Pretty Young Woman Flirting with my Husband. 4,370 shares The Astrology of 2017: Letting Go & Shining your Light. 1,955 share The Real Reason so many Long-term Relationships Fail Sexually. 1,145 share Why a Year of No Dating was the Best Thing I ever did for Myself. 8,557 shares I’m a Woman Sex Educator who Doesn’t Believe in Foreplay—Here’s Why. 949 shares These Tweets (and Retweets) actually Happened. 1,393 share