There are seven major energy centers, or chakras. We can think of them as swirling light of beautiful lotus flowers. These seven centers are the link between our physical and energetic body. Each one has a relationship to our physical body and an organ or gland, as well as particular parts of our consciousness.
Over the next seven weeks, we (my sister, Sharon, and I) will explore the chakras and perhaps during the week you can incorporate the ‘chakra of the week’ into your life on and off the yoga mat by practicing certain yoga poses, meditating with a certain focus area, reflecting on questions about the chakra, etc.
Today we’ll explore the first Chakra, located at the base of the spine, Muladhara, which translates to Root or Support.
Here is some information we found in our research. We pulled info from various books and internet sites, some of which we will recommend at the end of each posting so you can delve deeper into the study of the chakras.
The color associated with Muladhara Chakra is red and the essence of this chakra is about security and vitality.
Muladhara Chakra includes lessons related to the material world; our sacred Truth -All Is One; Power-Tribal; Bonding/Honor/Support. This is can include lessons about our family of origin and where what we learn about loyalty, honor and justice.
Questions to ask yourself when exploring if your Muladhara Chakra is ‘balanced’:
Are you loyal? Do you honor your commitments? Do you believe in justice?
Muladhara Chakra is associated with:
– feeling nurtured, nourished and having a sense of belonging
– the Earth element
– Adrenal glands
– large intestines, feel and legs, the bones/skeletal structure
– sense of smell
– muscle system
When the Muladhara Chakra is not functioning well or is out of balance we may feel weak, depressed, have poor self esteem or we may focus on pleasing others. We can have an unfocused mind, have difficulty achieving goals and be incapable of stillness. When it is functioning well and in balance, we demonstrate self mastery, have strong physical energy and feel grounded and healthy.
How to balance this chakra?
– Yoga, of course! Poses good for this chakra: Downward Dog, Mountain, Tree, Warrior I, Forward Bend
– Aromatheraphy – lavender, sandalwood, cedar wood
– Meditation – focus on the region of the chakra, envision the color red and repeat a mantra (I am well in body, mind and spirit or something that resonates with you)
– Gems and Crystals – Coral is a healing gem for this chakra and the crystals are Ruby, Tiger’s Eye, Bloodstone. Hold a gem or crystal in your hand as you meditate or find a piece of jewelry to wear
– Deity – Ganesha – the remover of obstacles – find a Ganesha chant to listen to or to chant along with or a mantra that includes Ganesha.
hot on elephant
The story behind the Elephant-headed God. 464 shares September’s Black Moon: The Rare, Powerful, Feminine Goddess Lilith. 76,936 shares Will & Grace are Back after 10 years & it’s the Funniest 10 minutes of Election Commentary Ever. 18,413 shares October Energy Forecast: Prepare for Limitless, Unconditional Love. 7,969 shares The Fourth Kind of Love. 2,838 shares How Open-Hearted Men can Show Up for Strong, Independent Women. 3,718 shares What Teens need from their Parents. (Hint: It’s not Grounding & Punishment.) 2,077 shares I am Who I am Thanks to You—The 5 Most Important People we Meet in Life. 2,146 shares 10 Good Reasons Not to Contact your Ex. 974 shares Nine Reasons to Love a Libra & One Secret they Keep. 1,680 share