Weight Loss Yoga: As Easy As 1, 2, 3, 4

Via on Mar 1, 2011

Yesterday, the PR machine helping to launch Trudie Styler and Gaiam’s new yoga DVD called “Weight Loss Yoga” was in full force.

Apparently, “Weight Loss Yoga” also features Styler’s personal trainer and “trainer to the stars”, James D’Silva, as well as a segment by Styler’s personal chef. According to PR Newswire, the aim of the DVD program is “to create a strong mind-body connection meant to help viewers become more aware of what they eat and how it feels to be full.”

But, this DVD should also come with a warning.  Specifically, that the results attained by Ms. Styler are not typical. This became clear to me after reading an article written in the UK’s Daily Mail which included an interview with D’Silva during the filming of the DVD.

In the article, D’Silva was noted to have changed the body of then 55-year-old Styler “beyond recognition”.  How, you ask?  With daily four hour workouts.  What!?  Yep.

Of Styler, D’Silva said:

Trudie is looking great – she now has the body of a 25-year-old.  She came up with the idea for the videos and she’s delighted with the end result. She has been training for four hours a day for the past few months and has amazing strength.

So, when you purchase the DVD with the very trim, very pulled, very nipped and very tucked Styler on the cover, know that not only did it take her lots of money (see hiring of personal trainer and personal chef) and perhaps the help of a Beverly Hills plastic surgeon, but it also took her an admitted 4 hours of exercise per day to achieve those results.

So will you be ordering a copy of Styler’s “Weight Loss Yoga”?  What are your thoughts on the marketing strategy?  Does this remind anyone else of the Slim, Calm, Sexy debates which raged right here at EJ not so long ago?  Thoughts?

About Birdie Greenberg

Birdie Greenberg has been a struggling yogi since the summer of 2004, when she was stressing herself out studying to pass the bar exam. In an effort to chill her out, her mom dragged her flapping and squawking into her first yoga class. She never looked back. Four years later, she became a Registered Yoga Teacher with Temple of Kriya Yoga in Chicago. Birdie lives and works in Los Angeles, California. And when she's not yogaing or blogging, you'll probably find her hiking in the mountains with her handsome husband and her two beloved furballs. You can read more about her personal yoga journey at her blog, Yogi, interrupted.

15 Responses to “Weight Loss Yoga: As Easy As 1, 2, 3, 4”

1. Kimberly Johnson kajyoga says:

My first thought is that she looks scary.

2. Sybil says:

It won't be on my viewing list.

3. Colin Wiseman Colin Wiseman says:

That is the worst photoshopped image ever! Head is too big for her body. I know I have a huge head (check out my piccie on the about ele page) but that’s ridiculous!

4. Great discussion fodder, Birdie. Let's see what people think.

Posting to Elephant Yoga on Facebook and Twitter.

Bob W.
    Yoga Editor

5. ARCreated says:

blech. I'm too tired to say how I really feel…and too relaxed from yoga ;) Truthfully? all yoga is weight loss yoga…if you move and weren't you will lose weight, packaging it that way isn't like false advertising…wow I think I may almost be to a "whatever" point with this stuff…LOL

6. KO-CO says:

Daily four hour workouts…that would not be following ahimsa for many of us. If that is what it took, in addition to a team of health/fitness folk, to achieve her slim physique, then the premise of the video seems misleading. One could ask, is that program sustainable? And, is the DVD program enough for maintenance?

7. Audrey says:

I think the comment about the "Beverly Hills plastic surgeon" was a little unfair. Styler was dragged behind a car in a road accident when she was a little girl, and it took extensive plastic surgery to rebuild her disfigured face. Even if she is open about her use of Botox (and yes, I'm at a loss as to how that fits into a "strong mind-body connection") today, I'm sure she's a woman whose had to deal with deeply personal issues around her looks, and it seems we'd all be better off if this article focused on something less ordinary than the old and obvious question of what she looks like.

Anyway. When it comes to marketing, the tactic is so obvious as to be laughable. Americans–and American women in particular–are just weight-loss obsessed… but what else is new?

8. ~*~ says:

the title is a perfect example of false advertising. it should read a little something like 'intense personal training and professional nutritionist with some yoga for weightloss.' which isn't to say yoga isn't effective in weightloss, it certainly has been for me, but why all the 'extras' for the photoshoot. not in line with satya- at all. even if the PR company talked this teacher into the debacle, i would expect an instructor of this level of fame to know better than to give in – and just let the yoga speak for itself!the title is a perfect example of false advertising. it should read a little something like 'intense personal training and professional nutritionist with some yoga for weightloss.' which isn't to say yoga isn't effective in weightloss, it certainly has been for me, but why all the 'extras' for the photoshoot. not in line with satya- at all. even if the PR company talked this teacher into the debacle, i would expect an instructor of this level of fame to know better than to give in – and just let the yoga speak for itself!

9. AnnieS says:

Once again those who have (money/time/personal trainers/chef's) remind us how impossible it is to attain their version of happiness and health. I am estatic when I can put down the damn gummy bears and eat a piece of fruit. Now I have to evaluate the importance of sleep over time in the gym. PRESSURE!! I don't need more freakin PRESSURE!!

10. [...] ages and shapes and nationalities. It is interesting to know that with all the focus on image and weight-loss in todays society that this is a place where the focus is on the cleansing of the saunas rather [...]

11. [...] was considering trying yoga,” said the Actuary, “but I decided to join the gym instead because I really have to do something that will help me lose weight. I ate way too much over the winter.” She then looked down at her belly. I followed her eyes and [...]

12. [...] did I start yoga in the first place? Well, it was a way to burn more calories. Yoga was a workout. (My first class had the word “boot camp” attached.) It was also something I was “good” at. [...]

13. Dawn says:

Meh. I do like 'her' other video with D'Silva, though why have her in there, he leads the instruction, oh yeah, because of her husband. Won't be buying this. The rich are clearly different.

14. Ashramgirl7 says:

Thank-you Birdie. Too often we see but don't know about the 4 hours work outs, photo-shopping etc. I am 54 and want to be the healthiest, most vibrant 54 I can be – I do not strive to look like 20 years younger. I appreciate the candor of your piece. Well done!