What Does “Really a Saint” Mean, Anyway?

Via
on Apr 26, 2011
Get Elephant's Newsletter

In a recent article, Kimberly Johnson called into question the sainthood of Satya Sai Baba, who, having lately passed away (or as we say at my church, “died,”) was the subject of numerous tributes in her Facebook newsfeed.

These tributes, she said, were really bugging her.

Personally, I have no opinion about Sai Baba. Yes, I too have seen the YouTube videos accusing him of pedophilia and legerdemain, and if true, those accusations are certainly disturbing. But as they remain unproven, I will leave them out of the reckoning. I am, at any rate, put off by any man or woman of God who rides around in luxury sports cars. But it isn’t really Ms. Johnson’s opinion of Sai Baba per se that interests me, but rather the underlying assumption of her article—that sainthood is an all-or-nothing proposition.

Ms. Johnson explains that she was not “drawn” to Sai Baba, that she didn’t “like the look” of him. And I agree with her that that sounds a little woo-woo—more than a little, in fact.  Not a few spiritual masters have been noted for an unprepossessing exterior.

He had no beauty or majesty to attract us to him, nothing in his appearance that we should desire him.[i]

Ms. Johnson taxes Sai Baba with refusing to “perform” his siddhis, or “manifesting powers,” in a “scientific environment,” but frankly, if I’d been him, I wouldn’t have either. “I’m not your monkey,” I might have said. And even Jesus “could do no miracle” in His hometown of Nazareth “because of their lack of faith.”[ii] Miracles are not for convincing the faithless, but for edifying the faithful.

Obviously, pedophilia is not to be tolerated, but supposing Sai Baba had some other, less heinous “weakness in the area of power-sex or money,” how are we to know whether his is a case of self-serving hypocrisy, or merely of the spirit being willing, and the flesh weak? We cannot know another person’s heart.

Of course, there are indeed false prophets in the world, and there have been for a very long time.

Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves. By their fruit you will recognize them…A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, and a bad tree cannot bear good fruit.[iii]

The case of Sai Baba—who “has started schools, opened hospitals and provided thousands with jobs”–is tricky in this respect. When a person’s work has borne as much good fruit in the world as Sai Baba’s is said to have done, deciding which kind of tree he is seems to have less to do with private shortcomings and more with public beneficence. Plenty of religious charlatans have come and gone without leaving hospitals on multiple continents. And whether his good works were truly done in a spirit of nishkama karma, or with an eye on the next Jaguar, only God knows–and will judge.

Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only they who do the will of my Father who is in heaven.  Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?’ Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’[iv]

Sometimes, it even seems that God prefers flawed servants.  The Apostle Paul, after relating his visionary experiences to the Christians at Corinth, went on to describe what he called a “thorn in the flesh”–presumably some persistent temptation, possibly of a sexual nature–that kept him from getting above himself.

Therefore, in order to keep me from becoming conceited, I was given a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan, to torment me. Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me.[v]

You see, I’ve been thinking about this a lot lately myself, because I am enrolled in a training program in group spiritual direction and retreat leading, which means that I am finally taking positive steps toward the spiritual teaching and leadership role into which people have been casting me for years. I am always the one called upon to ask the blessing at large family gatherings, agnostics have broken down and asked me to pray for them, and people often assume, for reasons I do not understand, that I am a clergyman. (I’m not.) And every time someone treats me like some kind of highly “spiritual” being, I want to say, No, no, you don’t understand: I swear at tentative old lady drivers, I am inwardly contemptuous toward all sorts of people, I cannot drive past a college campus without checking out the hot college girls who are, by the way, young enough to be my daughters. I am not the person you think I am!

Mercifully, I am neither a pedophile nor a reputed saint. But it took me a long period of soul-searching before I finally decided that the call I felt to pursue this ministry was a true vocation rather than a mere hankering. Sometimes I’m still not sure.

It was the Principles of my Order– the Third Order of St. Francis–that finally persuaded me to stop hiding among the baggage[vi] and do this thing.

The faults that we see in others are the subject of prayer rather than of criticism. We take care to cast out the beam from our own eye before offering to remove the speck from another’s. We are ready to accept the lowest place when asked, and to volunteer to take it. Nevertheless, when asked to undertake work of which we feel unworthy or incapable, we do not shrink from it on the grounds of humility, but confidently attempt it through the power that is made perfect in weakness. (emphasis added)

In the language of Protestant Christianity, anyone who dies to self–or who at least understands the necessity of doing so and firmly intends it–is a saint, warts and all. Isn’t that what Sri Krishna meant when He said, “Though a man be soiled with the sins of a lifetime, let him but love me, rightly resolved, in utter devotion: I see no sinner, that man is holy”?[vii] I sure hope so, anyway.

So in the absence of incontrovertible proof that a person’s intentions are bad and his hidden conduct blamable, I’d just as soon judge the tree by its fruits, if I judge at all.

[i] Isaiah 53:2b

[ii] See Mark 6:5, Matthew 13:58

[iii] Matthew 7:15-16a,18

[iv] Matthew 7:20-23

[v] 2 Corinthians 12:7-9

[vi] See I Samuel 10:22

[vii] Bhagavad Gita 9:30

About Scott Robinson

Scott Robinson taught college music at a Christian university for ten years before leaving to pursue creative work and fatherhood.  He has written for Sojourners Magazine, PRISM, Cross Currents, Minnesota Parent, the Philadelphia Inquirer and the St. Paul Pioneer Press.  He currently composes, records and performs original kirtan with his band Mandala mandalaband.net. Scott is a professed member of the Third Order of St. Francis,  and lives in Philadelphia with his wife, two children, and two incessantly shedding dogs.

Comments

45 Responses to “What Does “Really a Saint” Mean, Anyway?”

1. That's a beautiful article, Scott. I love the unique perspective you bring to Elephant. Thanks.

Posting to Elephant Yoga on Facebook and Twitter.

Bob W.
    Yoga Editor

2. Just posted to "Featured Today" on the Elephant Yoga homepage.

3. randi says:

I don't know much about Sai Baba, but I think it's important to understand that you are attaching Judeo/Christian morals onto someone who could have been working from a very high spiritual stage – where there are no such thing as morals. I do not condone pedophilia, but the fruits of his work demonstrate care and compassion on a big scale.
    Randi L.

4. Kristopher Stillwell says:

Scott, good work. I agree with your perspective. Always wise to look first within. It has been said that the body, being it's own vehicle has it's own karma, regardless of the "evolution" of the light inhabiting it. Not to say we are not responsible for our acts in the flesh but who says we should be identified with our acts. The act of identification keeps the wheel of karma turning and churning.

5. Julian Walker yogijulian says:

wow.

i have to respond.

sai baba lived a life of almost absolute evil.

sound over the top?

here's why:

here is what i am characterizing as absolute evil:

1) his entire existence was a cynical lie.

2) to whit: he pretended to have paranormal powers daily and was pleased to have millions of people take this as true.

3) he used his cheesy magic tricks as a manipulation to convince people that he was literally LITERALLY god on earth.

4) he then manipulated these first two lies to feed his perverse appetite for sexually molesting young boys under the pretense of providing them with an opportunity for spiritual enlightenment through an audience with god. thus betraying their families, ruining their lives and enacting an extremely damaging, soul destroying, psychologically devastating crime.

5) he had people killed in his inner sanctum and used his influence to have it swept under the rug by the government and police.

6) he amassed a fortune of over $9 B from the same people he was cynically betraying with his magic tricks and pedophilia and lived a life of absolute wealth and opulence while all around him people starved.

i am not measuring in mere utilitarian cost analysis here – but in looking at this man's life – a complete parody and insult to any kind of spiritual path – exploitive darkness and ironic abuse of power taken to its extreme, all WHILE being revered by millions as the god-man come as a savior to all of humanity… come on.

now sure – he never stood trial for the pedophilia, and the murders were never investigated…..

but even if you remove those (though i find the pedophilia reports of scores of adult men all of whom were devotees as young boys who have gone through substantial pain to tell their stories, some who have written books and been interviewed for documentaries) just take the first two points: he faked magic tricks knowingly to fool gullible, needy, desperate people into believing he was literally god on earth. in and of itself this is already complete charlatanism – and he lived decades in this charade.

i really challenge the position that we are being too literal or black and white and we need to just adjust our notion of what a saint is to include cynical manipulation, claims of paranormal powers, possible (and i would argue strongly probable) pedophilia and covered up murders – cause after all no-one is perfect… and find it telling that you are using biblical quotes to validate this fallacious reasoning given the other organization run through with similarly tragic ironic abuse – the catholic church.

until we call this kind of stuff by its true name and make sense of it in psychological and spiritual terms we perpetuate it with obfuscation and denial.

6. Julian Walker yogijulian says:

also: i think we would be better off debunking the existence of any bona fide saints, god-men or magicians ever, than trying to create wiggle room for charlatans!

no-one has ever had magical powers, ever, anywhere.

no-one has ever heard the voice of god and not been experiencing some form of brain pathology. ever, anywhere.

no-one has ever literally been god on earth because there is no such fucking thing! :)

and living a meaningful, mindful, inspired, spiritually engaged human life has never required any of that malarky – so let's call it what it is and move on!

7. Ramesh says:

Well balanced post, Yesudas. I think Yogananda summed it up nicely with this saying; "A saint is a sinner that never gave up."

8. Eric D. Myers says:

*opposed

9. Nando says:

"It's one of the great facts of consciousness that you can never understand a stage which you have not reached", said Annie Besant (BrahmaVidya).

10. Scott Robinson YesuDas says:

Thanks, Charlotte.

11. Julian Walker yogijulian says:

for anyone interested, i have posted my own article about the death of sai baba here: http://www.elephantjournal.com/2011/04/10-things-

12. Just posted to "Popular Lately" on the Elephant Yoga homepage.

13. […] for that validation forever. Have the courage to tell yourself what you need to hear. Believe in yourself and go after what you want right now. What’s the worst that can happen by you trying? […]

14. Love says:

Hi Scott, I love your post especially since you are a neutral party not defending or accusing anyone. There is a great quote that says the highest form of teaching is by example. The words don't matter, who you are being is what speaks volumes and your gentle nature in your post and comments says it all. Only those that are at peace can create peace in the world. Glad to see a peacemaker among us. Kindest regards.

15. […] effort to be civil online. I’ve even been accused in these very pages of setting myself up as the Right Speech Police for refusing to indulge in snark and rancor in comments. Of course I fall short occasionally, but I […]