More than 5 Long-term Relationship Deal-Breakers? You are the problem with you.

Via on Aug 20, 2011

Savage truth (and the lie you want to live with):

About Waylon Lewis

17 Responses to “More than 5 Long-term Relationship Deal-Breakers? You are the problem with you.”

1. TMC says:

one thing: he blames heterosexual relationships ending on "women studies" and "female oppression" lol.. so what ends gay men relationships? probably the same thing, right? ;)
    (but i like the "living up the to lies we tell in the beginning of a relationship" thing…. so true.. live up to the expectations we set for ourselves… we tell people we first meet all about the person who we WANT to be, in a lame-ass, but hopeful. quest to help us reach that…)

• guest says:

that was a joke.

• Ana says:

So annoying when Elephant Journal posts videos without a transcript or at least highlights of the subject being covered. I don't have all day to sit around watching videos, when I could read the transcript in about 30 seconds. Posting videos is just lazy.

• elephantjournal says:

The disclaimer at the top says, "Prepare to be annoyed." Guess we're off to a good start. This is a good video and I think it's worth the watch. It's actually a 5 minute video, not 12 hours. ;)

2. spoopy says:

I will take relationship advice from gay men as long as they read this book and live by its philosophy:

• oz_ says:

I'll listen to you only if you live the way I think you should live? Wow. Good luck with that approach…

3. rachel says:

well, i wasnt presenting my ideal self cos i didnt fancy him, and he lived with me so he saw all of me, and still, he finished with me, two years later for really minor reasons, its not so easy

4. warriorsaint says:

Want to know if he/she is "the one?" You can answer yes to this statement: Farts become funny again.

5. oz_ says:

"You become The One because somebody is willing to pretend you are."

Sounds like wisdom to me.

6. Mara says:

Who is this?

Great talk!

7. yogasamurai says:

It's Dan Savage? Good, provocative post. I think it IS possible to have consistently terrific sex, though, and in a long-term relationship with the same person? But they're usually known as mistresses. :o)))))))

8. [...] all remember that having too many deal-breakers can leave you very [...]

9. [...] 6. I only have 5. We can’t have more than five, or we’re the problem. [...]

10. Nancy says:

What happens, then, when the Price of Admission keeps increasing, year after year, as your life becomes more complex with house, careers, children? When you keep on paying, more and more, until you're exhausted and emotionally bankrupt?

This video holds good advice for less-compromising people who tend to have very short relationships. But being too compromising and forgiving can, in the long term, destroy a relationship as well.

• guest says:

if the price is too high, you have to walk. that's part of his point. you need to figure out if you can live with the flaws.