Prepare to have your mind blown by this video.

Via on Aug 25, 2011

Dirty f*** comes at a high cost.

Photo by B!zze via flickr.com

This is a test. How many of you clicked on this thinking you’d see a sexy video?

Well, I’m sorry to report it’s the furthest thing from sexy. I hope you’ll stick with me here for just a few minutes to watch what has not gotten the media coverage it deserves. More than 200 people have been arrested at the White House because of it!

Video by Josh Fox, director of the Oscar-nominated documentary film GASLAND.

Did you watch it? Are you frustrated it wasn’t what you thought it would be? Please comment below with your reaction.

Dirty fuel comes at a high cost.

The tar sands development is poisoning Canada’s boreal forest’s rivers and lakes. Over 200 people have been recently arrested at the White House “Stop the Pipeline” sit-in that protests the proposed 1,700 mile long pipeline from Alberta to Texas.

The Canadian pipeline company TransCanada has proposed a tar sands pipeline that could bring as much as 900,000 barrels per day (bpd) of costly and polluting fuel to the U.S. Gulf Coast. This pipeline, called Keystone XL, will lock the United States into a dependence on hard-to-extract oil and generate a massive expansion of the destructive tar sands oil operations in Canada. In addition to the damage that would be caused by the increased tar sands extraction, the pipeline threatens to pollute freshwater supplies in America’s agricultural heartland and increase emissions in already-polluted communities of the Gulf Coast. ~NRDC

It’s time to take a stand against the Keystone XL pipeline, a dangerous and destructive project that would pump over one million barrels of dirty “tar sands” oil from Canada to the USA every day. The oil in the Keystone pipeline could poison drinking water, threaten the communities it runs through, and wreck the climate. ~350.org

Your Voice Counts!

* Sign a petition asking President Obama to reject the Keystone XL pipeline. Just click here.

* Send a solidarity message or photo
to those protesting in Washington, DC.
* Take part in Moving Planet.
* Please share this with friends, neighbors, relatives. Share with enemies, too. They deserve to know about this, too.

Forgive me for this bait and switch.

About Lynn Hasselberger

Lynn Hasselberger lives in Chicagoland with her son, husband and two cats. She loves sunrises, running, yoga, chocolate, and NYR, and has a voracious appetite for comedy. In her spare time, she blogs at myEARTH360.com and LynnHasselberger.com. A "Green Diva" and social media addict, you'll most likely find Lynn on twitter (@LynnHasselbrgr & @myEARTH360) and facebook. She hopes to make the world a better place, have more fun, re-develop her math skills and overcome her fear of public speaking. Like her writing? Subscribe to her posts.

25 Responses to “Prepare to have your mind blown by this video.”

1. Thanks for posting Lynn,

I actually thought it was going to be a scene from a horror movie ……. I was wrong though eh,. its not fiction.

I can't attend as am in the UK but am happy to share it and sign the petition,.

2. Jack Weber Jack says:

You are forgiven, Lynn. Unfortunately, as you have heard me complain before, sexy is supported and gets people to look, but likely not the people who have the depth to do anything worthwhile for the real cause. Are we going to send bud to Washington? I think i signed these petitions, but let me take a look…J*

• Precisely why I posted in this manner. A bit of bait and switch in hopes that maybe–just maybe–someone who would not normally click on an environmental post will be inspired to take a look. I believe there are more people with depth clicking on sexy stuff than you think and if just one of those are inspired to take action, yippee!

• PS. Many thought this was about a horror film. LOL!

3. Thank you for sharing this. A horror movie indeed! I signed the petition and will definitely share. And Jack, I am sorry to say that I fear you are correct when it comes to the consciousness of the people drawn in by sexy images: They will, most likely, NOT take the time to watch the entire video, and sign the petition, or take other action. The proof is in the little response this post has received. I sure hope it gets more. Thank you again, Lynn! I had no clue. Obama has really been such a disappointment in the environmental protection arena compared to all the hope voters had in him. Too bad. Scary video! :(

• Thanks YOU Katarina for taking action and sharing. See my to Jack regarding my thoughts on the consciousness of 'the people drawn in by sexy images.' I could be wrong, but …. we may never know :) Cheers!

4. johnchampagne says:

When I read, "Hundreds arrested at White House", I thought of Tar Sands and Bill McKibben.

The fact that this is even a possibility, let alone an ongoing project, is strong evidence that what we have is not working.

We need a different paradigm.

The kind of world we are making is the world that our younger generation will live in.

Here is an outline for a public property rights paradigm (equal ownership of natural resource wealth) that would mean a sustainable and just civilization: http://gaiabrain.blogspot.com

• Thanks so much, John, for taking the time to comment. Also appreciate the link to your blog. "What the news media are not telling us: There is a defect in our economic system that threatens the stability and sustainability of civilization."

Have you considered submitting your open letter to the Sec'y of State to a petition site like avaaz or care2?

Cheers! Lynn
      PS. if you have any interest in contributing to elephant, email write@elephantjournal.com

5. karenwindsong says:

I'm not frustrated I saw something different. The assumption the reason I clicked on the link was because I wanted to see a sexy video is offensive. I clicked on it because it said "200 people arrested", not because I thought there was a sexy video. The "bait and switch" is really unnecessary. One reason I subscribe to EJ is because I enjoy the wide range of articles and candid views. To "bait and switch" is an insult to my integrity as a subscriber.

• Thanks, Karen, for taking the time to comment. I appreciate your feelings and am sorry if the bait & switch was an insult. It was meant as a) tongue + cheek and b) as a test on my part to see if I could attract people who wouldn't normally be interested in an environmental-related video. (outside of the normal elephant audience… I tweet + post on my own fb profile all the time). Cheers to you. ~Lynn

• karenwindsong says:

Hi Lynn! Thanks for responding. Are there really EJ peeps who wouldn't want to read/see something about the environment??!! That's shocking!!! LOL j/k

Keep up the great work. I LOVE EJ! <3

6. marilyn Eves says:

this is a horor film what we are doing to our world. Protests should be organized in every provience and state. As a Canadian the a aberta goverment and now our fedral goverment cares only about green cash. This will cost lots of cash in the future as well as contiinue in the destruction of the planet. Hook up with David Suzuki Canadas most respected and famous enviormentalist

• Thanks for checking this out, Marilyn. Especially appreciate you taking the time to comment. Frustrating the amount of greed in the world and how it can blind people to reality. Cheers to you. ~Lynn

7. klara apro says:

8. karin jensen says:

This is really a no brainer!!!!!!
    What President wants to be remembered for this???????
    I am puzzled at what we dont know about this project??????

9. Jonas says:

Great post! Exactly what I was hoping it was :)

10. [...] Prepare to have your mind blown by this video.. Like this:LikeBe the first to like this post. Posted in Uncategorized [...]

11. [...] we continue to rely on dirty fuels. What the bleep is the hold [...]

12. [...] purpose of the rally was to demand that President Obama kill the proposed Keystone XL oil sands pipeline (watch the mindblowing video here) and support his promise to, “…respond to the threat of [...]

13. Appreciate the comment betterdeal. What about putting our money into cleaner energy solutions?

14. Erin says:

Good points…and how many people and their environments are destroyed by a war we are in, that has little to do with politics and much to do with oil supply?