My Guru isn’t Perfect.

Via on Oct 11, 2011

My guru isn’t perfect.

He’s the yoga teacher with a split personality disorder. Afraid to show who he really is for fear of being discredited.

She’s the yoga student with a thousand injuries and limitations who spends her hard earned money on yoga classes each week. And humbly attends each and every teacher, taking from them what they have to give.

She’s the mom who is just trying to find some peace in her chaotic world.

He’s the guy who shows up looking for a piece of ass in every class.

He’s the writer who lays it all on the table, just trying to let it all out, to get someone to hear, to listen, to understand.

She’s the superficial yogini who thinks that yoga is equivalent to stardom, starvation and sexiness.

She’s the person who rubs me the wrong way.

He’s the person who hates me.

They’re my children. Who are beautiful. And frustrating. And heartbreaking.

She’s old and saggy and humble.

She’s young and fit and full of ego.

She’s fat, thin, young, old, addict, saint, sadist and masochist.

She’s you.

I don’t want  a guru that is perfect. I learn more from the people who have problems, the ones that are fighting for sanity, the ones who can cop to it as much as the ones who deny it. Because you teach me about me. You make me want to be like you, and not like you. You teach me to be better. You teach me to accept who I am.

I am sure that there are enlightened beings out there. I read their writings. I am sure that some of you have known them. Maybe someday I will too. But you? You are my shining divine light of this cosmic dance. You are as much as any golden coin, any perfect life. And I love you for it.

What I love most about you? You.

About Candice Garrett

Candice Garrett is a yoga teacher, writer, foodie and mother of three from Monterey, California. She is author of "Prenatal Yoga: Finding Movement in Fullness," assistant to Female Pelvic Floor Goddess Leslie Howard and director of the Nine Moons Prenatal Yoga teacher training program. Candice teaches yoga, prenatal yoga and pelvic health with workshops nationally. You can find her teaching schedule at Candice Garrett Yoga or her love of food at The Yogic Kitchen

10 Responses to “My Guru isn’t Perfect.”

1. Ben Ralston Ben_Ralston says:

Nice writing Candice, but what would you do if you met an enlightened teacher who shines with patience, compassion, wisdom, and joy? I'm guessing you wouldn't say 'no thanks' and refer them to this blog post would you?!

• candicegarrett says:

That's not the point ben! I would sit humbly at their feet and beg them to teach me. But in the absence of that, it's worth finding the teacher in everyone else.

• elephantjournal says:

I would go further and argue that you don't sit humbly at their feet…true warriors stand tall and bow deep–a combination of humbleness (as Trungpa Rinpoche called it) and dignity…there's far too much theism, worship in our American culture that, subtle as it may be, rears its ugly head when presented with "ancient wisdom" and such. I've known many "great" Buddhist teachers and a few yoga teachers who were anything but.

That said, as Ben says, if you find the real thing, you test them and all…well it's both feet in. Still, never, ever let go one's critical intelligence…a great teacher will want us to be dignified and humble—and critically intelligent. Present. As Trungpa Rinpoche's poem goes, "Do not trust. Not trusting makes friendship stronger." Instead, rest in the present moment with those we love. ~ Waylon

2. Samira says:

In time such people will cross our path when we are ready to acknowledge ourselves and accept that we are worthy and good enough no matter what:)
    Samira

3. On behalf of Where Is My Guru, we thank you so much for this awesome article and we will be delighted to share with our audience :) xd

4. candicegarrett says:

Awesome, Diane!

5. Tobye Hillier yogi tobye says:

The Guru is the person that has made mistake after mistake. Tripped and fallen over so many times they've lost count. The Guru is the person that gets up after a fall, shakes their tail feathers, learns from the mistake and moves on. And in doing so, shows us the light.

Thanks Candice!

6. catnipkiss says:

Gee, Candice, way to make me almost cry in public….. Alexa M.

7. Thank you for writing this – beautiful! The people who I learn the most from are broken, flawed, amazing, and just genuine. You spelled it out so poetically!

8. [...] tension build as we stood outside waiting to go in for dharshan, the gaze of an enlightened being, a bona-fide Guru. I didn’t really get what all the fuss was about. This pale old Indian fellow, wearing [...]