Lucy kicks Lululemon while its down? John Galt would be proud.

Via on Nov 28, 2011

Update: Stephen Colbert just did a bit on Lululemon!

If I were Lucy, I would say “this controversial move by our rival Lulu is none of our business. Our focus? Making the best, greenest, fairest, most beautiful, long-lasting and comfortable yoga apparel for your path.”

If I were Lulu, I’d say: “We’re proud to be who we are, and let you know about that. But whether you read Ayn Rand or no isn’t important to us. It’s none of our business. What we ca…re about is that we can play some small role in you being the best, most happy and healthy you. That’s good for all of us.”

Instead…

Corporate-backed un-eco yoga apparel throwdown? Yes, it’s time to sigh.

Yoga world has its pants in a tizzy. Or a wad.

Competition is getting cutthroat in the yoga world.

Lululemon comes out loud and proud with Atlas Shrugged books on their shelves in their stores and Who is John Galt on their tote bags?

Yoga world reacts in horror, realizing that their favorite yoga apparel company is espousing “Tea Party Bible” philosophy?

Mainstream media weighs in, calling Lululemon’s gutsy marketing move…clumsy at best?

Enter Lucy, a yoga apparel line that was designed and built, essentially, to go after the affluent Lululemon market…with a direct dig at Lulu, clearly hoping to peel off some patrons and win some…er, media attention. You got me.

Here’s the context—we’ve been reporting on this tempest in a tea cup well-fitting $90 yoga pants Made in China kerfuffle since day one, and we’re proud to say with some depth and insight (thanks, Carol etc.).

Lost in this conversation, still, is the true opportunity: for a yoga apparel company that offers well-fitting, stylish, and ethically-sourced clothes. Fair labor. Organic/eco. Let’s walk our talk on the mat, shall we?

About Waylon Lewis

21 Responses to “Lucy kicks Lululemon while its down? John Galt would be proud.”

1. Vision_Quest2 says:

True to form, Athleta, Old Navy and all the department store house brands are staying classy and staying out of it.

• elephantjournal says:

They'd be classier if they used fair labor and skipped the chemicals. I'm liking Inner Waves (organic), Be Present and American Apparel and…secondhand. Other suggestions?

2. jan says:

There ain't no such thing as a free meal.
    In other words, you can't have your cake if you eat it!

3. jbnorton says:

What about Colorado's own be present?

• elephantjournal says:

Love them. I wear their shorts climbing. I got a pair of Lululemon shorts with lining and have to say their the most comfortable fit I've ever worn. There's a reason they're so popular…

4. elephantjournal says:

#
    Nicole Buckoski Yuck.

#
    Mat H http://www.thaipantsman.com/ to the rescue? And no, I don't work for him, and I've only dealt with him twice, and you don't know my recommendation from Adam's, but he seems like a lovely fellow, with a good, inexpensive and seemingly ethical range, and some organic choices.

#
    Kate H: fgs!!!!!!!!!!!! what the heck is Going On!! for literally MILLENIA we did NOT have use or need for Special Yoga Wear…. and now??? Go to Goodwill and pu 10 pairs of used sweats for about $20-25, and Get Down by saving Cash, Resources, and some poor little kid in Indonesia. I cannot say this enuf: Yogis of Old Practiced in their Underwear! Yoga is going WITHIN…. not looking at your butt in a particular type of pant! wearing out perfectly good clothing til its rags is The Most Eco Friendly Choice! Vamanos!!! and, of course, Namaste

#
    Dawn T I find myself getting quite agitated when i see the money spent on Yoga wear…..why not do as Kate(above comment) suggests and then donate what you so clearly have to spare to a worthy charity?

#
    Tim W I'll see what reaction I get next session if I show up in my undies :)……..clean one of course.

#
    Tom F What's wrong with atlas shrugged? LOL

5. elephantjournal says:

#
    Kerry H
    I don't find it necessary to spend money on this over-priced, image conscious, trendy crap to do yoga int he first place, but this is getting funny.

o
    Howard C: Remember that Ayn Rand required her devotees to smoke cigarettes at her salons. She'd turn off the light and tell them to use the glowing coals as a meditative focus about man's matery over fire.

#
    Mae S
    I have to share this.. for many reasons.. among them…besides loving John Gault Lululemon has been a disaster for the more well-endowed woman.. talk about perpetuating a body stereotype.. bring me back to Russell's Athletic wear…gosh one time I spent close to $100 on yoga pants like an idiot and the drawstring broke after one wearing, we sent it back and got another string…yesterday saw a pair of so called Yoga pants for $180 buried inside was made in Bangladesh

o
    Tom Sevick I wear Russell's Athletic wear too :). Funny I find Ayn Rand's philosophy similar to Tantric philosophy in many ways.

o
    Mae Sakharov could be —

6. Hard Tail ( http://www.hardtailforever.com/about.htm ) and Melodia Designs <a href="http://(http://www.melodiadesigns.com/about.html” target=”_blank”>(http://www.melodiadesigns.com/about.html ) are made in the USA, and last a long time. It's a bummer that fit really does matter and often costs more, but one good pair of pants is worth 20 cheap crappy ones any day.

BTW, Melodia designs is creating a men's line right now and she uses organic cotton. Melodia Designs is an amazing company.

I think Lucy's "retort" is not much different than Lululemon's marketing strategy- it's just that, a marketing strategy. Everyone needs one, and Lululemon basically gave a really good one to Lucy for free. If you don't like it, don't buy their stuff.

7. Lily says:

I love Lucy for comfy clothes, but not for yoga pants. Nothing beats a pair of Lulu Groove pants for yoga. I live in them in the studio. All this other stuff? I don't really care. Finding clothes that fit my body is hard. I will support whoever makes them.

8. Kathie says:

I have great yoga pants from a local store, made in US for 7.99 and up.
    You don t NEED to be fashionable to do and practice yoga.
    Its nice to love the pants you wear and be comfortable, but this trendy fashion yoga thing is another idea we have been " sold" on.
    I see diety pendants that are 5.00 in India, only to be sold at a yoga studio in NY for 65.00, after a teacher made a trip there, yoga? Not.

9. zuddhiyoga says:

Check out Be Present clothing…. flattering, high quality, stylish, affordable, made in the USA (Colorado to be precise), and their company is all about being authentic and meeting needs in the yoga world, no cult-like following or low blows to the competition.

10. Tanya Lee Markul Tanya Lee Markul says:

Posting to Elephant Yoga on Facebook and Twitter.

Tanya Lee Markul, Yoga Editor
    Join us! Like Elephant Yoga on Facebook

11. ashley says:

sadly, no one has mentioned #prAna. i won't go in to the details but if you are interested in fair trade, made in the states, wears well yoga clothing you need to check them out. for the Colorado crew, they have a store in Boulder.

12. Rachael says:

Ah, heard of the phrase: "there is no such thing as bad publicity"?

Oldest trick in the book. Companies do this all the time to each other (and usually with complete agreement between said stores.) It's always about the money.

13. Amanda says:

Another made in America option……. http://beyondyoga.com/

14. luckydog says:

I'll never buy lululemon again (not that I planned on it before.. I have one tank and felt guilty for a week for spending so much on, basically, yoga fashion.) Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but I feel like lulu is totally disrespecting their own customers, laughing at them for their stupidity for buying their products as they rake in the cash. Ayn Rand really would be proud, huh.

15. SkirtGIrl says:

http://www.girlskirtmission.com/ girl skirt mission makes wrap around COTTON pants that are unisex and size friendly for every body type. They also bring the authentic cottons of India and tradition of wrapping the body in ways that breathe with your body (not tight hugging). Not every "fashion" choice for yoga apparel is commercial. Some companies are small and not rolling in any "dough" selling their products some love what they do and what they bring to the community and the lifestyle it brings. Love your Life. Love you Pants. The most startling thing for a business (in a good way!) is to have a yoga teachers show us their girl skirt pants that have been worn for 5 years and still going strong and they love the faded look and the softness of the multiple washes. Lulu unfortunately started as a cute authentic brand but once you sell to the larger companies and go public you have to make more and more money to pay investors. They just became part of the economic machine that sells and sells. Great thing is …we have choices. And there is something for everybody. If people didn't like their products they could never be as big as they are. AND they can also fall just as far as they've climbed. Only time will tell.

16. Lola says:

I bought a pair of Lululemon yoga pants for $100 back when I was just getting into yoga. I saw it as an investment. It turns out it was. 4 years later those are still my favorite yoga pants and the only ones that hold up to being washed several times a week. I am now a yoga teacher and have tried all the major companies and local ones. Ever single other pair of pants I have bought has worn out long before my Lululemons. In my opinion they are worth it. Also, Ayn Rand's wrote one of my favorite books, The Fountainhead! Basically, they are good pants, she is a good author…and so f&$king what?!