All growth is a leap in the dark, a spontaneous unpremeditated act without benefit of experience.
Today is February 29, 2012.
The Egyptians were the first to come up with the idea of adding a leap day once every four years to keep the calendar in sync with the solar year. Leap years are necessary because the actual length of a year is 365.242 days. Basically, leap years occur every 4 years, and years that are evenly divisible by 4 (2004, for example) have 366 days.
In honor of this extra special Wednesday, I share with you 29 of the coolest mental health breaks I have culled from the Interweb over the past several months… funky websites, fantastic videos and rad infographics. (I teach middle school, and these videos are teenager-appropriate and approved!)
2. Funky Seven Nation Army cover with stop motion animation.
6. Creative inspiration.
9. The Amish Project: a young man disconnects from the “cloud” for 90 days to reboot his connection with the world and the people he loves in it.
10. Take a metta time-out. Repeat to yourself: May all beings be safe. May all beings be health. May all beings be happy. May all beings be free from suffering.
11. Free Will Astrology. Fun weekly horoscopes.
12. Find out your Mayan birth sign.
13. Please join my Tantric yoga sex cult by the blasphemous Mark Morford of SF Gate
14. Turn off all your devices and mindfully, slowly eat at least one whole piece of fresh fruit.
16. Two-minute meditation
18. Do five sun salutations.
21. Listen to some new tunes on Jango.
22. Do some hula hooping.
25. Poignant Puppets.
28. Infographic: Meditation in Schools Across America
29. Go outside and take ten deep breaths of fresh air. Ahhhhh, the best mental health break of all!
Editor: Brianna Bemel
hot on elephant
Elephant Journal’s Holiday Gift Guide 636 shares A letter to the Anger that refuses to Leave Me. 580 shares Waylon’s favorite Ethical Gifts. 13 shares Learn Social Media, Writing, Editing & Journalism Ethics with elephantjournal.com. 28 shares Trevor Noah just won my Respect. 2,560 shares Year of the Fire Rooster 2017: What to Expect. 954 shares The Real Reason so many Long-term Relationships Fail Sexually. 818 shares December Forecast: Letting Go of 2016 & Leaning into 2017 with Love. 7,256 shares Why a Year of No Dating was the Best Thing I ever did for Myself. 6,827 shares These Tweets (and Retweets) actually Happened. 1,388 share