All growth is a leap in the dark, a spontaneous unpremeditated act without benefit of experience.
Today is February 29, 2012.
The Egyptians were the first to come up with the idea of adding a leap day once every four years to keep the calendar in sync with the solar year. Leap years are necessary because the actual length of a year is 365.242 days. Basically, leap years occur every 4 years, and years that are evenly divisible by 4 (2004, for example) have 366 days.
In honor of this extra special Wednesday, I share with you 29 of the coolest mental health breaks I have culled from the Interweb over the past several months… funky websites, fantastic videos and rad infographics. (I teach middle school, and these videos are teenager-appropriate and approved!)
2. Funky Seven Nation Army cover with stop motion animation.
6. Creative inspiration.
9. The Amish Project: a young man disconnects from the “cloud” for 90 days to reboot his connection with the world and the people he loves in it.
10. Take a metta time-out. Repeat to yourself: May all beings be safe. May all beings be health. May all beings be happy. May all beings be free from suffering.
11. Free Will Astrology. Fun weekly horoscopes.
12. Find out your Mayan birth sign.
13. Please join my Tantric yoga sex cult by the blasphemous Mark Morford of SF Gate
14. Turn off all your devices and mindfully, slowly eat at least one whole piece of fresh fruit.
16. Two-minute meditation
18. Do five sun salutations.
21. Listen to some new tunes on Jango.
22. Do some hula hooping.
25. Poignant Puppets.
28. Infographic: Meditation in Schools Across America
29. Go outside and take ten deep breaths of fresh air. Ahhhhh, the best mental health break of all!
Editor: Brianna Bemel
hot on elephant
How I stopped Speed Dating my Passions & finally Committed. 235 shares New Moon in Scorpio: Only those who Believe in Magic will Find It. 4,359 shares She Smiles as she Cries: the Story of High-functioning Depression. 5,072 shares A Homemade Buddhist Ritual for Letting Go. 616 shares 10 Things to Know about Dating a Scorpio (& Why they Love Sex). 601 shares Living with C-PTSD Following an Abusive Relationship. 2,633 shares Why we must Break to Heal. 1,041 share Stop Ignoring these Connections, they can Turn your Day (or Life) around. 937 shares November Energy Forecast: Love & the Twin Flame magic of 11:11. 1,154 share To my Diego: 4 Poems by Frida Kahlo that Demonstrate the Exquisite Nature of Love. 642 shares