All growth is a leap in the dark, a spontaneous unpremeditated act without benefit of experience.
Today is February 29, 2012.
The Egyptians were the first to come up with the idea of adding a leap day once every four years to keep the calendar in sync with the solar year. Leap years are necessary because the actual length of a year is 365.242 days. Basically, leap years occur every 4 years, and years that are evenly divisible by 4 (2004, for example) have 366 days.
In honor of this extra special Wednesday, I share with you 29 of the coolest mental health breaks I have culled from the Interweb over the past several months… funky websites, fantastic videos and rad infographics. (I teach middle school, and these videos are teenager-appropriate and approved!)
2. Funky Seven Nation Army cover with stop motion animation.
6. Creative inspiration.
9. The Amish Project: a young man disconnects from the “cloud” for 90 days to reboot his connection with the world and the people he loves in it.
10. Take a metta time-out. Repeat to yourself: May all beings be safe. May all beings be health. May all beings be happy. May all beings be free from suffering.
11. Free Will Astrology. Fun weekly horoscopes.
12. Find out your Mayan birth sign.
13. Please join my Tantric yoga sex cult by the blasphemous Mark Morford of SF Gate
14. Turn off all your devices and mindfully, slowly eat at least one whole piece of fresh fruit.
16. Two-minute meditation
18. Do five sun salutations.
21. Listen to some new tunes on Jango.
22. Do some hula hooping.
25. Poignant Puppets.
28. Infographic: Meditation in Schools Across America
29. Go outside and take ten deep breaths of fresh air. Ahhhhh, the best mental health break of all!
Editor: Brianna Bemel
hot on elephant
Learn to Rock your Social Media & Write Mindfully with Waylon Lewis & Elephant’s Editors. 1 share A letter to the Anger that refuses to Leave Me. 1,463 share 2017 is The Year of Kali, Goddess of Endings & Beginnings. 45,632 shares The True Meaning of Friday the 13th (isn’t what we think). 5,288 shares The Technique that helps me make Decisions under Pressure (& has Saved my Life More than Once). 566 shares I’m Done being your Dirty Little Secret. 999 shares Use This Buddhist Practice to Overcome Self-Doubt. 476 shares Ten Things I’ve Learned from Not Getting Wasted. 1,389 share Why Some Loves feel Unfinished, even After we’ve Let Go. 646 shares In Case they Never Told You: a Powerful Message for New Mothers. 953 shares