All growth is a leap in the dark, a spontaneous unpremeditated act without benefit of experience.
Today is February 29, 2012.
The Egyptians were the first to come up with the idea of adding a leap day once every four years to keep the calendar in sync with the solar year. Leap years are necessary because the actual length of a year is 365.242 days. Basically, leap years occur every 4 years, and years that are evenly divisible by 4 (2004, for example) have 366 days.
In honor of this extra special Wednesday, I share with you 29 of the coolest mental health breaks I have culled from the Interweb over the past several months… funky websites, fantastic videos and rad infographics. (I teach middle school, and these videos are teenager-appropriate and approved!)
2. Funky Seven Nation Army cover with stop motion animation.
6. Creative inspiration.
9. The Amish Project: a young man disconnects from the “cloud” for 90 days to reboot his connection with the world and the people he loves in it.
10. Take a metta time-out. Repeat to yourself: May all beings be safe. May all beings be health. May all beings be happy. May all beings be free from suffering.
11. Free Will Astrology. Fun weekly horoscopes.
12. Find out your Mayan birth sign.
13. Please join my Tantric yoga sex cult by the blasphemous Mark Morford of SF Gate
14. Turn off all your devices and mindfully, slowly eat at least one whole piece of fresh fruit.
16. Two-minute meditation
18. Do five sun salutations.
21. Listen to some new tunes on Jango.
22. Do some hula hooping.
25. Poignant Puppets.
28. Infographic: Meditation in Schools Across America
29. Go outside and take ten deep breaths of fresh air. Ahhhhh, the best mental health break of all!
Editor: Brianna Bemel
hot on elephant
The story behind the Elephant-headed God. 311 shares Visual Yoga Blog: Refresh your Eyes the Yoga Way. 159 shares Boomers vs. Millennials: Will We stay the Course or Change It? 363 shares Instead of Sabotaging another Relationship, here’s how to Run into your Fear. 951 shares Join: Elephant’s Winter 2017 Academy. 2 shares The Benching Mind-F*ck: Worse than Ghosting. 1,226 share 5 Ways to Kiss & Make Up for your Mercury Retrograde Mishaps. 495 shares “I’d look her right in that fat, ugly face of hers.” 1,170 share 15 Cool Things Yoga has Taught Me. (Hint: None of them are Handstand.) 2,418 shares How we can Rewrite our Stories after Loving a Narcissist. 1,074 share