I Support Women Getting off—The Pill, that Is. ~ Kim Anami

Via on Mar 16, 2012
Photo: Stacy Lynn Baum

I am a champion for sexual freedom. My life’s work is devoted to it.

I am also an advocate for conscious health and people taking responsibility for the impact of their lifestyle choices on their bodies.

While GOP members are decrying the use of birth control and liberals are fighting for the right to have it subsidized, let’s examine a fact that is consistently overlooked in these debates:

Hormonal birth control is deemed to be a Group 1 carcinogen by the WHO (since 2005). This puts it in the same class as other cancer-causing substances such as asbestos and radium.

Why is anyone fighting to put that in their bodies?

Young women who have not had children yet—like students—are at an increased risk for hormonally-induced cancer. A Mayo Clinic study (http://www.polycarp.org/statement_mayo_clinic_article.pdf) has shown that women have a 50 percent increased risk of getting breast cancer if taking oral contraceptives four years or more before having children.

Swedish oncologist, Hakan Olsson found that before age 20, women increase their breast cancer risk by 1000 percent.

Breast tissue is particularly susceptible to multiplication before it stabilizes after childbirth.

I’m a sex coach. I’m also a proponent of a healthy, chemical-free lifestyle.

In my late teens, I became a vegetarian and embarked on a lifelong education in an organic, whole foods lifestyle. I began researching alternative healing methods like herbs and homeopathy. I removed pharmaceuticals and synthetic chemical products from my life—from shampoos to body lotions to house cleaners.

My pursuit of natural living and getting more in touch with my body led me to discover natural birth control. I found a book in my local library by Drs. John and Evelyn Billings, called The Billings Method. In it, they describe how every woman can easily chart and make decisions about her own fertility.

All females in the animal kingdom show visible signs of estrus. Human females are no different.

I know some women who can feel the moment they ovulate, like a pinch in their ovaries. Most women experience a surge in libido during this time—that is, unless they are on the birth control pill.

The Billings Method involves observing vaginal secretions which vary throughout the month. They vary for a reason: at times they indicate fertility.

The Billings’ were Catholic. They were searching for a method of contraception that would not go against their religious beliefs.

I’m not Catholic. I was searching for a method that would not go against the integrity of my body and my health.

I have used the method successfully for nearly two decades. It is taught for free all over the world, especially in developing countries where women cannot afford pharmaceutical contraception.

When I was living in Bali, Indonesia, Robin Lim, an internationally-known midwife and health advocate (she was named CNN’s 2011 Hero of the Year—check it out here), was instructing local women in how to use it. The process is quite simple and the method has a rate of success from 95-100 percent, depending on which studies you look at. The most common number I have seen is 98 percent.

The Pill is considered about the same.

For me, it has been immensely empowering to be able to chart my own fertility. To tune into the rhythms of my body and honor them.

In my coaching practice, I have seen The Pill wreak havoc on women’s moods and libido. My personal view on why so many women experience infertility issues is because they have been on The Pill for 10, 15 or 20 years before they decide to become pregnant. They are in hormonal disarray and likely so weighed down by the toxic burden that their bodies will not let them conceive in such a mutated environment.

Women: Take control of your own body.

Men: Support women to take control. You can do it with them. You can research the method and suggest it to current and new partners. Go to a Billings tutorial together.

Natural birth control is free, empowering and it will allow women to keep their body parts.

I’m all for that.

Next week I’ll write more about the method and how it works. In the meantime, if you are interested, check out some of the online resources available:

As a life and intimacy coach, Kim Anami has propelled thousands of people into higher stratospheres of connection, sensuality, energy and aliveness. Kim’s musings on love, life and sex have graced the pages of Playboy and national radio and television. Explore her bodacious retreats, salons and 1+1 offerings at: www.kimanami.com

Editor: Brianna Bemel

About elephant journal

Like this article? Leave a tip!

(We use PayPal but you don't need an account with PayPal.)

Elephriends - Mindful Affiliates

11 Responses to “I Support Women Getting off—The Pill, that Is. ~ Kim Anami”

1. Lorin says:

Food for thought.

Posted to Elephant Family on Facebook and Twitter.

Lorin Arnold
    Blogger at The VeganAsana
    Team leader for Elephant Food and Elephant Family

2. Irene says:

I'm sorry but I find this article incredibly biased and irresponsible. Being that apparently you are not a physician or gynecologist, you are in no position whatsoever to give medical advice based just on what studies you've read on the pill's link with cancer -mind you, there are thousands of studies with different results, that's why gynecologists have a myriad approach to the use of the pill too, however none of them have demonstrated a link between taking the pill and having cancer or infertility-. Medical advice, yes, because the pill is not only a birth control method, many women use it to balance their natural hormonal imbalance which in itself can be a cause of many other illnesses such as dysmenorrhea. The alternative you offer on the other hand, is regarded by many gynecologists as a risky birth control method since not all women have the same amount of vaginal secretions or even awareness of its changes to rely on it safely in order to avoid pregnancy. The pill being a cause of infertility is a popular myth which is hardly sustained but rather contradicted by logic and biology itself, since taking the pill is actually making your body save eggs, not destroy them, reason why many women who took the pill get immediately pregnant when they stop, not to speak of all the other life and genetic factors that can and have been proved to have a real link in women who do suffer from infertility -taking the pill or not- but not necessarily knew until they tried to get pregnant, but of course, it's easier to blame it just on that nasty pill they took . Tampons are also linked to cancer, since they are all currently whitened with asbestos -which you also mention and in this case it is a recognized carcinogenic-, and mind you, there are far more women using tampons than taking the pill… So I guess it all comes down to your deductions, your opinion and your choice as an intimacy coach, not as a researcher, a physician or even an alternative medicine practitioner, to decide and blog that the pill is not a healthy choice, ignore its benefits for existing hormonal imbalances and other indicated treatments, and highlight it has such an important infertility and cancer risk factor, -more apparently, in your subjective evaluation, than tampons or many others which you don't even mention, amongst which genetics, which on the other hand is decisive, and not many of us have a cancer-free genetic tree- that is better substituted by other natural methods which only address birth control and are not necessarily suitable for every woman and their individual physical condition. Being an intimacy coach does not grant you medical knowledge to give advice on medical treatments, just your opinion, and it's plainly irresponsible not to point this out when many of your readers can be mislead by the fact you do work on a field related to the subject, but you are not qualified to give professional advice on this one in particular.

3. SOFLY_Anna says:

I've been on the pill for 20+ years after unwanted teenage pregnancy. I got off it a couple of years ago simply because I hate pills and I am thinking of starting a family. It took about half a year for my cycle to come back to normal. I felt really great on the pill, I didn't even know when I had my period vs. now, it knocks me out: bad mood, lethargy, etc. I thought about taking the pill again, but instead I am trying to balance with appropriate diet and yoga practice.
    There is no correct answer to fit it all. Every women should make an educated decision based on her situation.
    This is a good article to begin, but I'd do more research, talk to my doctor and most-importantly listen to my self.

Cheers!
    Anna.
    <a href="http://www.streamoflifeyoga.com” target=”_blank”>www.streamoflifeyoga.com

4. guest says:

I think you are mixing two topics that are very different. One is your dismissal of the pill which is your right. The other is the politics going on in the US. Politics that are trying to take YOUR RIGHT TO CHOOSE away from you. It doesn't matter if you personally want to use the pill. The question is can you keep women's rights in the 21st century, our right to choose and to make a decision. It's the same as abortion: I personally can't imagine doing it (but I never got raped or was in a life threatening situation so I can't tell) but I would fight for the right to make the decision over my body any day!.So don't confuse these too issues. It's about your civil and human right to make decisions over your body and your health.

5. Jahzel says:

This is kinda one-sided. What do about women who suffer from ovarian cysts? Women with that hormonal deficiency causing the ovarian cysts. Women who have lost their ovary(ies) due to ovarian cysts and take the pill for medical reasons and not for birth control….

6. Bethany says:

Ultimately I think that this article shares some perspective that as females, as individuals, we make choices and must be informed about possible impacts. I have recently gone off of hormonal birth control because of the side effects that were impacting me physically and emotionally. I choose to have sex so I am responsible for the possible consequences of this. I do not think taking hormonal birth control is the only way to be responsible and I also have the choice to stay abstinent. I do think that women need to be armed with a variety of perspectives and information about their bodies and their options. We should encourage girls and women to seek out information and take responsibility for their bodies, taking or not taking hormonal birth control is just one of those decisions.

7. Guest says:

I know my body generally feels better when it doesn’t have to acclimate to the pill and after switching to merina I’m 100 times happier. Even though I would like to figure out a natural solution at some point, the risk of becoming pregnant at 22 is not something I am willing to even take a chane on. Also I know I’ve heard many mixed things about the cancer discussion, this article is good but i think it really communicates that getting off the pill before 40 is the more important thing.