Then I was unfriended.

Via on May 2, 2012

Bonus: Buddhism: a “Non-Theistic” Religion.

I said this…then I was unfriended.

Via Reddit…via Facebook:

A true happy ending? Disagreeing without being disagreeable. Debating while remaining friendly, and friends. We’re working on it.

Bonus, two relephant quotes:

“We are all atheists about most of the gods that societies have ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further.” ~ Richard Dawkins

“I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.”~ Stephen F Roberts

About elephant journal

28 Responses to “Then I was unfriended.”

1. Are you implying that the Harry Potter books aren't proof that Harry Potter exists?
    If I knew who wrote this article, I'd unfriend that mofo soooo fast (even if that meant I'd have to friend the person, first…)

2. As a Christian, even I found her argument stupid. While I believe that the bible is right, using that to explain why I think my beliefs are true is not going to work. Good job on the retorts and logic!

• Haha *using the Bible to back up my beliefs to other who do not share my views is what I meant.

• Waylon says:

Yes, all respect to Christianity, and faith generally. As I said at the end, we can debate without hate! We have several great Christian writers on elephant, and are always more than open to others. The bottom line, for me, is responsibility and compassion, whatever the faith or lack of faith.

Yours,

Waylon

3. Mark Radcliffe says:

Encountered something similar a while back:

4. Believewhatyouwant says:

With all due respect your last comment on 'superstitions' has as much a tone of condescension as her post.

• Waylon says:

That post wasn't by me, friend–like I said it was via Reddit, via Facebook, I linked.

• guest says:

I would disagree on that one. Unless you consider calling a belief superstition is condescending. (in which case you shouldn't call anything superstition, including reading tea leaves and avoiding black cats)

5. Valerie Carruthers ValCarruthers says:

Just posted to "Popular Lately" on the Elephant Spirituality Homepage.

Valerie Carruthers
    Please go and "Like" Elephant Spirituality on Facebook

6. Savannah says:

Most deities (Jesus, Horus, Mythra, Krishna… etc..) from well known religion are actually all based on the SUN and ZODIAC… but we have lost touch to this. Watch Zeitgeist :)

7. Nadia says:

I was taking this article seriously until I read the “Allah” part. Allah = God, not a deity.

• Stina says:

God is a deity. Duh.

• sav says:

The definition of deity IS god, a god, the supreme being.

• SrsBiznis says:

So you took it seriously all the way until the second sentence? At least you overcompensated by taking those first two lines so seriously as to consider a screenshot of a facebook conversation as an "article," presumably one that was peer-reviewed.

8. KristinSLuce says:

Although he didn't explicitly call her "ignorant," he does hold an "I know more" attitude throughout the thread. He doesn't seem to be any more open to respecting her beliefs than she is able to be of others'. Thus, his last statement to "not make public posts calling people ignorant for not holding the same (beliefs)" is a bit ironic. Having a genuinely open heart and mind in the face of differing beliefs is tricky business! —and in the end, it's all just me projecting out my own ignorance (at least that's my favorite superstition of late) :)

That said, the point about using Harry Potter books to prove that Hogwarts exists is brilliant!

9. Sez says:

I just wanted to respond with a quote I once read: "Thank God I'm a Buddhist". Haha. I personally have what I like to call a cocktail of beliefs for myself, but Buddhism is one ingredient. :) I don't know whom the quote belongs to.

10. Lynn Wins Hearts says:

Hmm? I am suspicious of the authenticity of this exchange. I think it is strange that someone who likes to argue would pass up a point to explain why the other beliefs are (even if only in opinion) inferior.

11. xjm716 says:

Don't all books serve as interpreter of themselves?

For instance, are the Harry Potter books not self-referential?

Or, would you read "Catching Fire" and expect it to refer to "The Hunger Games" in a way that was incongruent with that first story, yet presented as congruent?

12. Deborah says:

What!! Are you implying that Hogwart's doesn't exist???????

13. Ydi says:

One must respect everyone's truth, even if we don't agree with them. I truly wish we could have a friendly debate while still respecting one another. But yes all one must do is research and you will easily see all the commonalities & trace it back to the Sun.

14. ernie says:

I would like to read the original bible as GOD wrote it …..not the one that King James changed to suit himself

15. Marco says:

Take your pick. There were hundreds of versions out there until Constantine had some of them eliminated in 320 or so CE in Nicaea. Some versions are really wild and perhaps you would prefer those to King James' version. The attempt was to get everyone on the same page and included assuming the Trinity as the answer to the existing dilemma how can the Son of God be Greater than his Father? Thus further splitting the Church and dividing it; Greek Orthodox par example.

16. Jonny says:

I think you would like Oshos book on belief. Also Ignorance comes from ignore. These religious fanatics are ignorant because they are ‘ignore-ant’ of all the relevant arguments opposed to their ‘beliefs’. They only get angry because they secretly have doubts. If you call a skinny person fat, would they get mad? Theyd think youre crazy. But if you call a fat person fat, good chance theyd get hurt.

17. Keith Artisan LivingArtisan says:

I'd consider your first question to be aggressive and attempting to prove a point. If it were me, I'd unfriend you for simply being a douchebag. Who cares if that is how somebody believes? Let them relate to the mystery of life as they choose and belief what they believe.

What did you get out of it aggravating this person?

Its my opinion you broke the first rule of yoga, ahimsa … non-violence.

18. Faye says:

Hmmm. To me, this is a case of judging the judger…for judging. It's okay! I'm not judging ya!

There is a little of everyone in all of us, judgers and judgees- I say let it be. There will always be folks with less enlightened views than yours , and at the same time, they may even have the less than enlightened (relative to you, I'm guessing, if you're reading this) view that they should push those views on others.

We can think it ignorant. Or, we can allow and love. They are just Iin a different space on a similar journey. Lest we mistakenly allow our ideas of enlightened spirituality to divide us from others.

The ego is so innocently cunning, isn't it? Let's just allow and bask in our sameness and the beauty of where those belief-pushers are, the beauty of where we are, the beauty of where enlightened masters are. Is it not all the same ? Peace. :)

19. Bhagavati says:

Well… good for her that she unfriended you.

With all due respect.