Does Reference Point Therapy Really Work? {Video}

Via on Jul 5, 2012

This is why it is easy and fast to heal almost anything. We are meant to be healthy and happy. It is our birthright. And whatever is blocking our experience of that perfection is easy to let go of, because it’s not really who we are.
~ Ben Ralston

Late last year, Sivananda Yoga Teacher, Reference Point Therapy Healer and regular elephant journal columnist Ben Ralston wrote a short article enthusiastically sharing the story of one of his clients—Profound Healing: Depression and Thyroid Function.

Eighteen months after he’d seen her for one Reference Point Therapy healing session, this client was still experiencing total transformation from long-lasting depression. Plus, she’d never needed the thyroid surgery she’d had scheduled.

He was sharing something he thought was game-changing, exciting and transformational. Readers didn’t agree.

They called it alarming, dangerous, irresponsible and unethical. Ben was surprised at the reaction and the debate that subsequently unfolded in the article through the more than 125 comments that followed.

I decided to interview Ben and find out more about this type of healing and why he thinks it’s so effective. Is it for real? Is Ben for real? Judge for yourself.

We talk for about 45 minutes, giving space to go in-depth to a fascinating topic. Even if you don’t have 45 minutes right now, leave this page open in your browser—or bookmark it—and can come back to it later.

This video interview originally appeared on The Yoga Lunchbox.

Editor: Lynn Hasselberger

Like elephant health & wellness on facebook.

About Kara-Leah Grant

Kara-Leah Grant is the author of Forty Days of Yoga - Breaking down the barriers to a home yoga practice, and the publisher of New Zealand’s own awsome yoga website, The Yoga Lunchbox. A born & bred Kiwi who spent her twenties wandering the world and living large, Kara-Leah has spent time in Canada, the USA, France, England, Mexico, and a handful of other luscious locations. Now back at home, and playing solo mum to her young son, she loves to stop, drop and practice - breathing, moving and dancing.

928 views

14 Responses to “Does Reference Point Therapy Really Work? {Video}”

1. Val says:

Wow Kara-Leah….your body language was entirely flirtatious….
    Ben, thank you very much for your thoughtful and clearly honest responses. You did a great job ignoring the above silliness:)

• Ben Ralston Ben_Ralston says:

Hi Val,
      I didn't feel that Kara-Leah was 'entirely flirtatious'. To be honest I'd say that you were probably triggered by something, and that this might be a wonderful opportunity for you to learn something about yourself.
      Is flirting wrong anyway?! I don't think so. I enjoy flirting. If I'd thought that KL was flirting I would have flirted back! Or maybe I did… :)

• Val says:

Hmm….it's something akin to how you "despise" or "hate" the new age spirituality. …the fluff that gets in the way of connecting/healing spiritually. Your suggestion re: my being triggered is appreciated. Have done some good soul searching on that one. I believe you are right there. Would very much like to discuss that with you in a less public forum though.

• Ben Ralston Ben_Ralston says:

Sure, email me and we can book a session. Contact details above, in the profile.
          Ben

• Val says:

I'm not working right now so cannot afford to book a session. I've identified my traumas years ago. Those years of work helped me learn to trust my gut. It also taught me that identifying those traumas is only the beginning of healing and that it is a lifelong process of seeing how it surfaces in life and working with it. It's not nearly over at the identification stage. But, it's a necessary beginning.

• Ben Ralston Ben_Ralston says:

So Val, first of all – you simply don't need to identify the trauma (if what you mean is 'know what happened'). And healing trauma is absolutely NOT a lifelong process. It's actually remarkably simple and easy.
            I thoroughly recommend finding a recently graduated Reference Point Therapist – someone who has the training, and needs to practice it, and will therefore work for cheap), and investigating this.
            To clarify – RPT is not about trauma. It's about freeing ourselves from the consequences of (many generations) of ancestral trauma.
            With love

• Hi Ben.
        Can you contact me please with a phone contact or e mail. I am looking for help with RPT.
        I am at jeanmariewest@hotmail.com
        Best Wishes
        Jean.

2. Hey Val,

I'm pondering your comment and wondering, is a woman flirtatious in the same way a man is charming? Am I just as flirtatious when interviewing a woman? Is it silly to be flirtatious? Is it silly to be charming? Maybe I'm just silly. Or perhaps I am just flirtatious. Is that wrong? Am I wrong? Ah shucks… maybe I just am.

And yes, Ben was thoughtful and honest, which made for a great interview, all possible flirting aside.

3. The interviewer posed thoughtful and sharp questions.

I did not read the original post but I have no doubt that it is possible that this therapy has great merit although I did not hear any specific discussion of technique that made it sound different than other psychotherapies. I would be interested in hearing more specifics. Still, I am one who believes anything is possible unless proven otherwise so I would not dismiss this.

I have read a few of Ben's writings over the years and I was pleased to see and hear him in this format. His demeanor is sweet and unpretentious and approachable. Good work all around and hope to hear more specifics on the technique in the future. All of its basis sounds sound though not entirely groundbreaking as I am aware of therapies that address the frozen or stuck reactions that most if not all of us have.