“How to Be Emotionally Stable Without Getting Bored.”

Via on Jul 27, 2012
(Source: imgfave via stargirl1393)

Step 1: Start as someone who loves with above-average intensity.

At some point between the Amazing and the Terrible in the shipwreck life stuck in your aorta, there’s a knock. You don’t recognize it at first, busy like you are, but oh-no, it’s Beauty! She’s here to interrupt all your patterns and she promises you won’t know what hit you.

And when you open the door, you think you’ve gone blind for a moment. You forget how to speak and you have to take a step back because they never taught you how to be both the Subject and the Object in your own sentences.

You can’t use any words because the moment you try, all language slips through your fingers like a universal soap bar. You’ve just been washed. You think you smell good but you’re not sure.

So you:

“Realize that day in the shower that the unmoving thing you’ve arrived at and the cosmic image that once drove you mad are one and the same. Realize that it’s just you, that all along it was just you and nothing more. Laugh at how stupidly obvious that seems now… Look at your reflection in the bathroom mirror and feel like you are seeing an old friend you haven’t seen in ages. Realize that after years of false hopes, you have finally arrived at something real, something that no one can ever take away from you.”

(Source: imgfave via stargirl1393)

I used to ask children: What’s the meaning of life? —just for fun.

“It’s yellow,” said one little girl buried in freckles. Then I asked them if they felt old, you know, being five and charged with life. Not a single one ever said Yes or No. They just looked back at me puzzled and then burst into laughter.

A few days ago my usual Titanic ran into this little iceberg. It’s been ripping through me ever since, flooding all my compartments with a strange kind of water, a sort of amniotic fluid I could easily return to and even drown in at some point.

And be OK, but not OK, yet still OK.

Video created by filmmaker & musician Max Lugavere, based on an article by Nick Cox. For more of Max’s music, find him on Spotify or follow him on Twitter.

Read the entire article here if you think you’ve lived enough and you’re ready to die now from a painful beauty overdose.

(Source: imgfave via stargirl1393)

PS: You can unfasten your seat belt now.

“Your life has only just begun, and you have all the time in the world.”

Like elephant culture on Facebook.

About Andrea Balt

Co-Founder / Editor in Chief of Rebelle Society, Wellness Alchemist at Rebelle Wellness & Creativity Curator at Creative Rehab. Unfinished book with a love for greens, bikes and poetry; raised by wolves & adopted by people; not trying to make art but to Be Art. Holds a BA in Journalism & Mass Communication, an MFA in Creative Writing & a Holistic Health Coach degree from the Institute for Integrative Nutrition®. In her work she tries to reflect the wholeness of the human experience by combining Art & Health + Brains & Beauty + Darkness & Brilliance into a more alive, unabridged and unlimited edition of ourselves. She is also on a quest to reinstate Creativity as one of our essential Human Rights to (hopefully and soon) be included in the UN Declaration. Connect with her on Facebook, Twitter & Instagram and sign up for her Monthly Stroke of Renaissance.

17 Responses to ““How to Be Emotionally Stable Without Getting Bored.””

1. Tanya Lee Markul Tanya Lee Markul says:

I love when you stay up late spilling out all of your beautiful guts.

2. ehassman says:

"Maybe when you were in love with things, what you were really in love with was not the things themselves but rather something inside them that you could never quite get at, which was why you loved them with such annihilating desperation"… YES. THAT. Oh, dear god, that.

3. Arjuna says:

Weird how being emotionally stable could ever be considered boring. Really like the sentence in the full article, (to paraphrase) "What is real can never be taken away from you"

• Andrea Balt Andréa Balt says:

Agree. I think the author of the original article (linked in the post) – which served as text for this video meant it more as a sarcasm. Not that it is boring but that it seems "boring" when compared to cray-cray emotional instability.

4. Loup-garrou says:

Bella~it took decades of hot mess, 11 years of meditation, 5 years of sobriety, and letting go of a lot of crap that doesn't serve me to realize this…glad you found it.
    whatever I may point at, it always comes back to me.
    all answers are provisional.
    "what matters is not made of matter" (~sam oliver).

::deep breath in::

tutto il mio amoré,
    ~E.

5. GGG says:

… i don't get it. is this supposed to be artistic and abstract? No offense is intended here I just can't make sense of this article which I clicked on because it seemed like it would be really helpful.

• Andrea Balt Andréa Balt says:

It is poetic, indeed, but I wouldn't call it abstract. In fact, real poetry is as concrete and visual as it gets. The piece isn't meant as a blunt set of how-to-rules or principles but as a a visual description of the process of personal awakening, moving through all the different stages in that process and describing each in detail.

Perhaps what's confusing is the title, which reads more like an intro to a bullet list, but I think there's sarcasm to it.

6. Niki says:

I am pretty sure that video just changed me. :) thank you!

7. Emily Alp emilyalp says:

This is just … so … thank you … thank you.

8. Derek Dejes says:

Hello Interiordesignhouses,Interesting Thoughts, When you determine the style and material for your flooring, it is important to consider the areas to be floored, type of subfloor, your preference for pre-finished or unfinished flooring and stain color. The state-of-the-art technology coupled with an almost limitless choice of stains, finishes, styles and designs makes hardwood flooring one of the most practical and versatile floor coverings available. So if you want a home that is beautiful, if you want a home that stops people in their tracks when they walk in, then you need to put down exotic hardwood flooring.Cheers

9. tablet says:

I have been surfing online greater than three hours nowadays, but I by no means found any attention-grabbing article like yours. It’s pretty price enough for me. In my view, if all website owners and bloggers made good content as you probably did, the internet shall be much more helpful than ever before.

10. enisaj says:

This post made me cry, I think because I could relate to it. Thank you

11. Kadie says:

WOW! Love it. Not clinically depressed or on med's, but so much to relate to so much to awaken to. Thanks for sharing! Oh yeah, I cried to, gotta listen closely with eyes closed to feel them open.

12. You are my favorite writer on elephant. Yay!