As summer draws to an end, I find myself wanting to indulge in as many salads as possible!
I’ve been testing out my green thumb lately with a new little balcony garden, and so I was inspired to make a healthy, mayo-free version of an Asian slaw using some fresh picked jalapeños and cilantro straight from the source.
This salad lasts about three days if you keep it cool in the refrigerator and is an awesome side to fish or a delicious veggie burger. The ginger and fiber rich cabbage help you to feel more satiated and full while the lime and jalapeño add a fresh, spicy kick to keep your taste buds interested.
- 1/2 head of green cabbage, shredded
- 3-4 carrots, shredded
- 1/2 bunch of cilantro
- 1-2 jalapeños, de-seeded and chopped
- 1 lime, juiced
- lime zest
- 1 inch chunk of ginger, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 TBS honey
- 1 TBS sesame oil
- 1/2 TBS apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 TBS low sodium soy sauce ( I used Braggs Liquid Aminos)
- 2 tsp black sesame seeds
- optional: slightly unripe mango, green papaya
- Combine the cabbage, carrots, and mango/green papaya and toss together in a large bowl.
- Prepare the dressing by whisking together the apple cider vinegar, soy sauce, lime juice, lime zest, ginger, jalapeños, and honey; slowly whisk in the sesame oil.
- Pour the dressing over the cabbage mixture and toss to coat. Let it sit at least 15-20 minutes to let the dressing soak in.
- Serve sprinkled with sesame seeds.
Editor: Lynn Hasselberger
Like elephant food on facebook.
hot on elephant
A letter to the Anger that refuses to Leave Me. 1,407 share Learn to Rock your Social Media & Write Mindfully with Waylon Lewis & Elephant’s Editors. 5 shares 2017 is The Year of Kali, Goddess of Endings & Beginnings. 22,417 shares If you Love her, Don’t Destroy Her. 14,739 shares The Best Marriage Advice from a Divorced Woman. 2,074 shares How to Disentangle ourselves from Karmic Relationships that Drive us Crazy. 160 shares The True Meaning of Friday the 13th (isn’t what we think). 5,263 shares The Technique that helps me make Decisions under Pressure (& has Saved my Life More than Once). 430 shares The 6 Best Spiritual Teachings of Wayne Dyer to help us Get Over Ourselves. 1,858 share Use This Buddhist Practice to Overcome Self-Doubt. 426 shares