As summer draws to an end, I find myself wanting to indulge in as many salads as possible!
I’ve been testing out my green thumb lately with a new little balcony garden, and so I was inspired to make a healthy, mayo-free version of an Asian slaw using some fresh picked jalapeños and cilantro straight from the source.
This salad lasts about three days if you keep it cool in the refrigerator and is an awesome side to fish or a delicious veggie burger. The ginger and fiber rich cabbage help you to feel more satiated and full while the lime and jalapeño add a fresh, spicy kick to keep your taste buds interested.
- 1/2 head of green cabbage, shredded
- 3-4 carrots, shredded
- 1/2 bunch of cilantro
- 1-2 jalapeños, de-seeded and chopped
- 1 lime, juiced
- lime zest
- 1 inch chunk of ginger, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 TBS honey
- 1 TBS sesame oil
- 1/2 TBS apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 TBS low sodium soy sauce ( I used Braggs Liquid Aminos)
- 2 tsp black sesame seeds
- optional: slightly unripe mango, green papaya
- Combine the cabbage, carrots, and mango/green papaya and toss together in a large bowl.
- Prepare the dressing by whisking together the apple cider vinegar, soy sauce, lime juice, lime zest, ginger, jalapeños, and honey; slowly whisk in the sesame oil.
- Pour the dressing over the cabbage mixture and toss to coat. Let it sit at least 15-20 minutes to let the dressing soak in.
- Serve sprinkled with sesame seeds.
Editor: Lynn Hasselberger
Like elephant food on facebook.
hot on elephant
The story behind the Elephant-headed God. 344 shares Visual Yoga Blog: Refresh your Eyes the Yoga Way. 160 shares Boomers vs. Millennials: Will We stay the Course or Change It? 364 shares Instead of Sabotaging another Relationship, here’s how to Run into your Fear. 956 shares Join: Elephant’s Winter 2017 Academy. 2 shares The Benching Mind-F*ck: Worse than Ghosting. 1,391 share The Fourth Kind of Love. 0 shares 5 Ways to Kiss & Make Up for your Mercury Retrograde Mishaps. 499 shares “I’d look her right in that fat, ugly face of hers.” 1,249 share 15 Cool Things Yoga has Taught Me. (Hint: None of them are Handstand.) 2,493 shares