Best description for a period, ever.

Via on Nov 2, 2012

Via Tumblr:

Click here for image source and full cartoon.

Relephant:

On Yoga, Chocolate & Periods.

Squeamish? Five Women Tell All.

Mindful Menstruation: How the Moon Cup Revolutionized my Period.

~

Speaking of wellness in general…

And, mindful sex?

Join: Elephant’s Summer 2015 Academy: a Certificate Apprenticeship in Social Media, Journalism Ethics & Editing.

Facebook is in talks with major corporate media about pulling their content into FB, leaving other sites to wither or pay up if we want to connect with you, our readers. Want to stay connected before the curtain drops?
Sign up for our curated, quality newsletters below.

Incorrect source, offensive, or found a typo? Email us (please put title in subject bar of email so we'll be able to fix). Or do you want to write for Elephant?
{Waylon H. Lewis C Enterprises 2015: Use Rights in perpetuity. Ownership remains with author.}

About elephant journal

10 Responses to “Best description for a period, ever.”

1. Olga says:

HAHA This is fabulous!

2. Jessalyn says:

This is one of the best period jokes/metaphors of all time. And the uterus face just gets me every time.

3. Maya says:

Sorry but I just don't agree. This is a really sad, antagonistic view of our bodies.

4. Cortney says:

I find this extremely offensive. This is the reality for women like me and millions of others who have struggled with fertility issues and who are really trying to conceive. Nothing is funny about the hurt and pain you feel each month when your period shows up. Luckily I am 4 months pregnant now but it has been a long difficult road.

• elephantjournal says:

Hi Cortney—we're reader created and so we have many views represented. I'm sorry you found this offensive. Consider writing your own piece? You can submit to write@elephantjournal.com. ~ Bryonie

• Faun says:

This is reality of all people with a menstrual cycle. You are literally saying that the menstrual cycle is offensive and that people with menstrual cycles shouldn't express their feelings of them either and that we especially cannot express it with humor. I'm sorry you had so much trouble getting pregnant, but you do not own the experience of menstrual cycles, that most female-bodied people experience.

5. Jessica says:

This is so perfect. It’s how I’ve always described it too. As someone who has suffered painful periods every month for my entire life, I’ve always felt that my body was furious at me that once again I ‘failed’ and damnit was I gonna pay!!!! Ha! Love it. Love this website. As for people taking offense, well lighten up people. Lighten up. Maybe they’re the lucky ones who don’t have painful periods! It’s not about fertility here, it’s just how it feels to have your period. And man does that uterus work hard. It actually makes me appreciate how powerful and amazing my body truly is. As much as it hurts. Cheers.

6. Jean Richards says:

Womankind's ability to reproduce humans far exceeds humankind's ability to provide clean water and food to provide for the humans. Stop reproducing NOW unless you want to be responsible for even more deaths by thirst and starvation. Humans have exceeded our earth's carrying capacity thus dooming most of us and our four – footed life mates to a life of scrambling for water and food. Reproducing is a most unkind and heartless endeavor.

• Rebecca says:

Jean, It's really not that simple. Birth rates vary enormously from country to country- and, as I'm sure you know, gender inequality, lack of access to education, and lack of access to free contraception means the birth rate (and mother and infant mortality rate) is often highest in very poor countries, where competition for resources is fiercest. Admonishing all women all over the world to stop having babies RIGHT NOW would do absolutely nothing to address these problems, which are due to complex regional and global socioeconomic structures. There is plenty of evidence (using a simple google search) to be found that a declining birth rate is actually a problem for many countries. Trying to make women who wish to conceive, and who often have trouble doing so, feel guilty for that basic instinct and responsible for all the present and future ills of the world is 'most unkind and heartless', and not supported by scientific data.

7. Jessie Rae says:

This is flipping hilarious!!!