As humans, we are instinctual purveyors of knowledge.
This is why quotes are one of the most searched topics on search engines. As a wellness enthusiast, I’m constantly in search of quotes about wellness and/or quotes about yoga.
If you’re like me, you love finding nuggets of knowledge from people in history who simply had a knack for words.
Here are 101 quotes I find inspiring:
1. “Better indeed is knowledge than mechanical practice. Better than knowledge is meditation. But better still is surrender of attachment to results, because there follows immediate peace.“ Bhagavad Gita.
2. “When you don’t have any money, the problem is food. When you have money, it’s sex. When you have both, it’s health.” Marilyn Monroe.
3. “Our bodies are our gardens—our wills are our gardeners.“ Shakespeare.
4. “It is health that is the real wealth and not pieces of gold and silver.“ Mahatma Gandhi.
5. “Wellness is a connection of paths: knowledge and action.” Joshua Welch.
6. “He who takes medicine and neglects to diet wastes the skill of his doctors.” Chinese Proverb.
7. “It’s bizarre that the produce manager is more important to my children’s health than the pediatrician.“ Meryl Streep.
8. “He who has health has hope and he who has hope has everything.“ Arabian Proverb.
9. “Nobody can hurt me without my permission.” Gandhi.
10. “When the mind is exhausted of images, it invents its own.“ Gary Snyder.
11. “The gift of learning to meditate is the greatest gift you can give yourself in this lifetime.“ Sogyal Rinpoche.
12. “The part can never be well unless the whole is well.” Plato.
13. “Learning to let go should be learned before learning to get. Life should be touched, not strangled. You’ve got to relax, let it happen at times, and at others move forward with it.” Ray Bradbury.
14. “You only lose what you cling to.” Siddhārtha Gautama Buddha.
16. “If while on your way you meet no one your equal or better, steadily continue on your way alone. There is no fellowship with fools.” Dhammapada.
17. “What each of us believes in is up to us, but life is impossible without believing in something. “ Kentetsu Takamori.
18. “Do not ask for less responsibility to be free and relaxed—ask for more strength!“ Shengyan.
19. “We don’t realize that, somewhere within us all, there does exist a supreme self who is eternally at peace.” -Eat, Pray Love
20. “Meditation brings wisdom; lack of meditation leaves ignorance. Know well what leads you forward and what holds you back, and choose the path that leads to wisdom.“ Buddha.
21. “Health and cheerfulness naturally beget each other.” Joseph Addison.
22. “Diseases of the soul are more dangerous and more numerous than those of the body.” Cicero.
23. “Lack of activity destroys the good condition of every human being, while movement and methodical physical exercise save it and preserve it.” Plato.
24. “You can set yourself up to be sick, or you can choose to stay well.” Wayne Dyer.
25. “Want to be happy? Just be yourself.”Author Unknown.
26. “The most important pieces of equipment you need for doing yoga are your body and your mind.“ Rodney Yee.
27. “Yoga teaches us to cure what need not be endured and endure what cannot be cured.” BK Iyengar.
30. “The affairs of the world will go on forever. Do not delay the practice of meditation.“ Milarepa.
31. “Water, air and cleanliness are the chief articles in my pharmacopoeia.“ Napoleon I.
32. “Change is not something that we should fear. Rather, it is something that we should welcome. For without change, nothing in this world would ever grow or blossom, and no one in this world would ever move forward to become the person they’re meant to be.” Author Unknown.
33. “Yoga is the fountain of youth. You’re only as young as your spine is flexible.” Bob Harper.
35. “Simplify” Author Unknown.
36. “Being the richest man in the cemetery doesn’t matter to me. Going to bed at night saying we’ve done something wonderful—that’s what matters to me.” Steve Jobs.
37. “Yoga is 99% practice and 1% theory.” Sri Pattabhi Jois.
38. “The beauty is that people often come here for the stretch, and leave with a lot more” Liza Ciano.
39. “Don’t just do something—sit there!” Unknown Yoga Quote.
40. “To perform every action artfully is yoga.“ Swami Kripalu.
41. “Yoga has a sly, clever way of short circuiting the mental patterns that cause anxiety.” Baxter Bal.
42. “Yoga is invigoration in relaxation. Freedom in routine. Confidence through self control. Energy within and energy without.” Ymber Delecto.
43. “Inhale, and God approaches you. Hold the inhalation, and God remains with you. Exhale, and you approach God. Hold the exhalation, and surrender to God.“ Krishnamacharya.
44. “Anyone who practices can obtain success in yoga but not one who is lazy. Constant practice alone is the secret of success.” Hatha Yoga Pradipika.
45. “You control your happiness, no one else.” Author Unknown.
46. “Yoga is the practice of quieting the mind.” Patanjali.
47. “Yoga is the perfect opportunity to be curious about who you are.” Jason Crandell.
48. Healing Through Diet: http://embed.ted.com/talks/dean_ornish_on_healing.html.
49. “Yoga exists in the world because everything is linked.” Desikashar.
50. “Through meditation and by giving full attention to one thing at a time, we can learn to direct attention where we choose.” Eknath Easwaran.
51. “The best way out is always through.” Robert Frost.
52. “The groundwork for all happiness is good health.” Leigh Hunt.
53. “Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Appreciate your friends. Continue to learn. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.” Mary Radmacher.
54. “The ability to be in the present moment is a major component of mental wellness.” Abraham Maslow.
55. “Happiness is a state of inner fulfillment, not the gratification of inexhaustible desires for outward things.” Matthieu Ricard.
56. “Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food.“ Hippocrates.
58. “Take care of your body. It’s the only place you have to live. “ Jim Rohn.
59. “Live, travel, adventure, bless and don’t be sorry “ Jack Kerouac.
60. “A mind free from all disturbances is Yoga “ Patanjali.
61. “All of man’s difficulties are caused by his inability to sit, quietly, in a room by himself. “ Blaise Pascal.
62. “Worries are pointless. If there’s a solution, there’s no need to worry. If no solution exists, there’s no point to worry.“ Matthieu Ricard.
63. “Blessed are the flexible, for they shall not be bent out of shape.“Author Unknown.
64. “The yoga pose that you avoid the most you need the most.” Author Unknown.
65. “Intelligence comes into being when the mind, the heart and the body are really harmonious.” J Krishnamurti.
66. “Every time you are tempted to react in the same old way, ask if you want to be a prisoner of the past, or a pioneer of the future.” Deepak Chopra.
67. “In the midst of movement and chaos, keep stillness inside of you.” Deepak Chopra.
68. “Make the driving force in your life love.” Dr. Oz.
69. “You must find the place inside yourself where nothing is impossible.“ Deepak Chopra.
70. “If you want to find God, hang out in the space between your thoughts.” Alan Cohen.
71. “Happiness is a state of inner fulfillment.“ Matthieu Ricard.
72. “When you live your life with an appreciation of coincidences and their meanings, you connect with the underlying field of infinite possibilities.” Deepak Chopra.
73. “That one I love who is incapable of ill will, and returns love for hatred. Living beyond the reach of I and mind, and of pain and pleasure, full of mercy, contented, self-controlled, with all his heart and all his mind given to me—such a one I am in love. “Bhagavad Gita.
74. “A man should look for what is, and not for what should be.“ Albert Einstein.
75. “Happiness consists in realizing it is all a great strange dream “Jack Kerouac.
76. “Happiness makes up in height for what it lacks in length.” Robert Frost.
79. “Your health is a state of mind.” Author Unknown.
80. “Sleep is the best meditation.“ Dalai Lama.
81. “Silence is not silent. Silence speaks. It speaks most eloquently. Silence is not still. Silence leads. It leads most perfectly.” Sri Chinmoy.
82. “Peace comes from within. Do not seek it without.” Gautama Buddha.
83. “You pray for good health and a body that will be strong in old age. Good—but your rich foods block the gods’ answer and tie Jupiter’s hands.” Persius.
84. “To keep the body in good health is a duty, otherwise we shall not be able to keep our mind strong and clear.” Buddha.
85. “Yoga is almost like music in a way; there’s no end to it.” Sting.
86. “Yoga science is not just a scholarly pursuit. It is a moment by moment and thought by thought practical guide for living. “ Leonard Perlmutter.
87. “This yoga should be practiced with firm determination and perseverance, without any mental reservation or doubts.” Bhagavad Gita.
88. “We all wish for world peace, but world peace will never be acheived unless we first establish peace within our own minds.“ Geshe Kelsang Gyatso.
89. “You are an aperture through which the universe is looking at and exploring itself.” Alan Wilson Watts.
90. “The best fighter is never angry.” Lao Tzu.
91. “Even if things don’t unfold the way you expected, don’t be disheartened or give up. One who continues to advance will win in the end.” Daisaku Ikeda.
92. “We are not going in circles, we are going upwards. The path is a spiral; we have already climbed many steps.” Hermann Hesse.
93. “It is my conviction that there is no way to peace—peace is the way.” Thich Nhat Hanh.
94. “Don’t move the way fear makes you move. Move the way love makes you move. Move the way joy makes you move.” Osho.
95. “Without inner peace, outer peace is impossible.” Geshe Kelsang Gyatso.
96. “Suffering usually relates to wanting things to be different from the way they are.” Allan Lokos.
97. “Treat every moment as your last. It is not preparation for something else” Shunryu Suzuki.
98. “A man is not called wise because he talks and talks again; but if he is peaceful, loving and fearless then he is in truth called wise.” Siddhārtha Gautama Buddha.
99. “If there is any religion that could respond to the needs of modern science, it would be Buddhism.” Albert Einstein.
100. “If we learn to open our hearts, anyone, including the people who drive us crazy, can be our teacher.” Pema Chödrön.
101. “My workout is my meditation.” Kyle MacLachlan.
In response to Waylon’s blogger challenge, I’m taking a stab at creating a blog post that will expand your minds, enlighten you and hopefully provide some wisdom and knowledge in your life. I spent the last week seeking out the best quotes about wellness, yoga and Buddhism (above) and I hope you enjoyed them. If you did, share this post and help us enlighten someone else’s day!
Ryan Park(@BigRyanPark) is a social media strategist, the founder of Adventured.com, contributing writer for The Social Media Monthly, and Chief Marketing Officer (CMO) at Arrae Creative Agency in Denver, CO. Ryan is an occasional yogi, quote lover, and daily elephant journal reader.
Like elephant Enlightened Society on Facebook.
Assistant Ed: Evan Livesay
Ed: Kate Bartolotta
hot on elephant
The story behind the Elephant-headed God. 377 shares Visual Yoga Blog: Refresh your Eyes the Yoga Way. 165 shares Boomers vs. Millennials: Will We stay the Course or Change It? 384 shares Instead of Sabotaging another Relationship, here’s how to Run into your Fear. 993 shares Join: Elephant’s Winter 2017 Academy. 9 shares The Benching Mind-F*ck: Worse than Ghosting. 1,701 share The Fourth Kind of Love. 2,062 shares What Teens need from their Parents. (Hint: It’s not Grounding & Punishment.) 1,654 share How Open-Hearted Men can Show Up for Strong, Independent Women. 2,472 shares “I’d look her right in that fat, ugly face of hers.” 1,379 share