6 Lazy Ways to get Happier, Sexier, Healthier, Richer.

Via on Jun 29, 2013

lay buddha homemaker

What’s one healthy magical little specific awesome habit that you have, daily, that makes you happier and healthier? Leave a tip in comments, below.

Master this one simple (yet impossible) trick and you’ll be happier, healthier, sexier, even richer. Do nothing fully and properly before doing anything. Practice it diligently and with good cheer…even for two minutes in the morning and two at night.

Here’s 5 Peculiar Tips, from Tanya. We miss Tanya.

6. You can’t “get” Happier, Sexier, Healthier, Richer. You can, however, learn to “be” Happier, Sexier, Healthier, and even Richer. How? Relax. Be yourself. But don’t be caught up in yourself. How? Well, there’s lots of ways. Most involve the breath. Relaxing. Opening up. My suggestion is the most basic: nothing. Do nothing. Practice doing nothing. It’s the opposite of multi-tasking. Do less, and do it better, and more fully. Do life fully.

There’s an easy technique for practicing this, called meditation. Here’s how. Do it twice a day, every day , if only for a few minutes. Everyone has time for a few minutes. multitasking

But you can start right now without calling it meditating simply by breathing, relaxing, sitting up, relaxing again, breathing again, and doing less. Don’t fill the gaps of your life. If you’re caught in traffic, look around and enjoy where you’re at. If you’re at a stoplight, waiting to be able to walk across the crosswalk, don’t check your phone.

The phone is a brilliant test of how present we are. Check it less. Check it only when you need to.

That’s it.

Less.

Meditate.

Don’t multi-task.

You may not be fully happy, rich, healthy, sexy or holy. But you’ll be on your way. You’ll feel happier, your experience of life will be richer and your business acumen will refine in its charm. You’ll breathe and eat more fully and better, and you’ll shine from the inside-out, making you more attractive.

About Waylon Lewis

24 Responses to “6 Lazy Ways to get Happier, Sexier, Healthier, Richer.”

1. Couldn't agree more. This is really the root of all Yoga philosophy, too, because it can lead to ecstatic awareness beyond our narrow personal worlds. Here's my contribution to the meditation genre on elephant:

“Effortless Wellbeing”: Meditation as Everyday Life

And some of your readers might not be aware that one of elephant has a very popular facebook page devoted to meditation: elephant meditation, created by Ben Riggs. https://www.facebook.com/elephantmeditation

Bob W. Editor
    Best of Yoga Philosophy

• elephantjournal says:

Thanks! Good to see you around more again!

• Just like old times, huh. when we were just getting to know each other–Bob hanging around, commenting, linking to other stuff, provoking discussion, stirring things up.

I'll tell your readers what I just told you in an e-mail–I'm following over 40 other sites looking for the best material for my new Best of Yoga Philosophy
        link site, and yet almost a third of my objectively chosen articles are from elephant journal.

Love the new design.

Bob

2. Jessie Paul says:

I love the practice of smiling. I think I read maybe 15 years ago how the physical act of smiling has a direct effect on our sense of well-being and happiness. I started consciously smiling more and it works so well that after all these years I smile most of the time now. It is a lot like focusing on the breath, however, it has the added benefit of affecting those around you in a positive way. Thich Nhat Han says that when we smile at someone it is like giving them a flower!

3. @yogamimi67 says:

Simply beautiful! My meditation and yoga practice are my oxygen. Besides of course my family and my dogs it is two things that make my life magical!

4. nunh says:

Great advice. I know what you say is true yet, I appreciate the reminder!

5. Marybeth Paul says:

First thing in the morning I slowly drink 16 oz of fresh spring water as soon as I get out of bed. I am mindful as I drink, noticing and feeling every sensation possible. (Takes less than 2 minutes.) It's a self-care practice that sets the pace for keeping me hydrated and not so caught up in busyness.

Just before bed I read something inspirational and positive; quotes, short prose, a poem, not more than 10 min from start to finish. (Think of bedtime stories you read your kids) Sets up my mind and nervous system for restful sleep.

6. sometimes I'll just get up out of my chair, leave phone at home and start….walking, just walk, feel the air, hear the sounds, notice the wind on your skin and in your hair, think only of these things, feel the rhythm of putting one foot in front of the other and see the vista around you passing by….think of nothing else….Shanti

• elephantjournal says:

Yes! It's so good–I need to remember to do nothing more.

Biking home, today, I saw a college girl pulling off the triple threat: bicycling without a helmet, with headphones, while texting. I saw men and women zombiephone walking, head down, texting. I saw boys and girls fiddling with cigarettes or iPods. I saw no one doing nothing. So, twice, I stopped, and stared at the trees in the sun, rippling, the mountains. Twice, today, I did nothing fully. ~ Waylon Lewis

7. Sianna Gregg says:

I always give a cheerful "good morning" to my outside cats … because I really am happy to see them … and they answer back in kind. (didn't realize it, but it has become a nice little habit)

8. Darren [Australia] says:

Make sure you eat only when you're hungry. Then, it doesn't really matter what you eat, just eat it mindfully, tasting every morsel as you chew it really well. Be present in this moment.

9. Bill Tipper says:

Word.
    Meditation is the gateway to the truth that sets us free. Freedom allows us to be fully present in the present moment. Being fully present without attachments, worry, regrets or fear opens us to a deep embodiment of our God Self. And therein lies bliss.

10. I've known instinctively for years that I should be meditating. I never seem to be inspired to make the time… I never understood how, even though we've seen the benefits of something we can do (like meditating, exercising, or eating healthier), we can still choose not to do the things that get us to realize more of those benefits…

11. MKGreenMountains says:

It's not really what you're speaking of, but I hike a mountain on a weekday and laugh out loud. Then I thank the trees for not bring cubicles. And I say that I'm sorry to everyone in a cubicle. And dance. Cause no one is watching. Sounds crazy, but it sure makes me happy.

12. Jess says:

I smother myself in coconut oil as soon as I rise. I have to do it quickly since I have 2 little ones pulling at my leg, but abhyanga self massage is an ayurvedic practice that really enhances my life.

13. earthsky23 says:

I jump up and down on the spot until I am out of breath, several times a day …
    this simple practice has transformed my life over the last few weeks … :~))) …
    debut article soon to be forthcoming ………

14. Susan says:

I was caught up in the corporate world, and I got very tired of all the power plays and backbiting. I work a retail job now, that allows me to do one thing a day do it well, and then move on to a new task. It has made me happier than I have been in years.

15. ÜberGinger says:

I have recently begun a meditation practice, along with TRYING to practice mindfulness, living in the moment and many of the lessons I have learned from the folks who write on Elephant Journal. (As you well know, that is easier said than done). Thank you for helping a newbie to understand how much there is inside of ME and how much I impact not only myself, but my world. Peace.

16. Marta says:

Encuentro este texto excepcional…! Muchas gracias, muy sabio.

17. wendy says:

Hey – #5 Light incense – in another post you say that incense is actually bad for you. What are your thoughts on it?

18. @BrJack_LC says:

One thing that I started during Lent — a time of deep reflection and meditation — was a "medical fast" (I'm not sure that's what it's called but I think so). The idea is that, twice a week, I eat only consume 600 calories or less (women is 500 or less). My intension was to add to my daily practice. Lent is 46 days (Sunday's don't count) and that equates to 12 days total. However, at the end of Lent, I have lost roughly 10lbs and feel a lot better physically, emotionally, and spiritually.