Read This & Instantly Quit Smoking. ~ Catherine Beekmans

Via on Jun 25, 2013

Editor’s note: we know about the typo in the above image. It’s still valuable info!

Read this, have your last cigarette and be a quitter forever.

“Quitting smoking.”

“Kicking the habit.”

Both terms make the task seem like something simple. Like you can just wind up and kick the habit like you’d kick a ball and it’s gone. Laughable! Anyone who’s been successful knows that this is probably one of the most difficult tasks they’ll go through.

Smoking will pretty much guarantee death from a disease related to having smoked cigarettes. Sure, there are people who “smoked every day and never got sick” or those who never smoked and had cancer anyway. That’s just the law of averages having a go at common sense. There will be exceptions to every rule, but they are still just exceptions and the odds will not be in your favor.

Do you want a list of major reasons to quit right now? There is a long list of cancers (kidney, lung, stomach and mouth just to name four of them), there’s heart disease, emphysema, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) and there are strokes.

If you are too smart to run face first into a speeding train, you are too smart to be a smoker.

“I’m fine. I still have time to quit. Later.”

Sound familiar? How about:

“I’m only a light or social smoker.”

Light or social smoker? What a load of bull! Being a part time smoker still makes you a smoker. You’re still poisoning yourself. Nicotine is an addictive substance. If you smoke, you are addicted. Why, with all of the information readily available, would you otherwise continue to smoke?

You may think you have time, but you don’t. You have to try right now. Try over and over again. And here’s why: you can still escape mostly unscathed, maybe. The effects of smoking can be reduced in leaps and bounds the longer you remain a quitter.

Here’s a list of reasons to stop smoking now.

Money: We paid for a major family trip with our savings after we quit. It was 10 days of fun in Florida that we would have smoked away if we hadn’t quit. Think about any life experience you financially can’t afford to have. Quit smoking, and you’re more than halfway there.

Family: Someone in your family, be it your child, sibling or parent will watch you die from a painful and horrible disease. Do you want that for them? And don’t forget the influence you have—you’re telling your children it’s alright to smoke.

Smell: I didn’t realize how much I smelled after a cigarette until I quit. It’s repulsive, guys. I don’t mean to hurt feelings here, but gum just doesn’t cut it. The smell of someone after they’ve smoked wafts through the room like the stink lines from a cartoon skunk.

Breath: How can you breathe when your lungs are struggling so hard to evacuate the poisons? How does smoking work with the breath of yoga? I didn’t think I had a “smoker’s cough.” I was wrong. When I hear smokers coughing and clearing their throats, it always occurs to me—I don’t do that anymore! I take a deep breath and I feel clean and healthy.

Energy: Moving was a chore. I had absolutely no energy. The thought of having to clean, cook or run to the store absolutely exhausted me. I had no motivation. I was ridiculously tired. And no wonder! My body was wrecked and I couldn’t breathe. Cigarettes slowly and surely kill your quality of life while you wait for one of the more fatal effects, but it’s so subtle and gradual, that you don’t really notice.

Appearance: Smoking makes you look ill. You are grey and yellow tinged, wrinkly and tired looking. Your skin looks terrible. Aside from the vanity aspect, this surely affects self esteem. Since I’ve quit, the skin on my face has never looked or felt healthier. I don’t have acne anymore either!

If this isn’t enough for you to consider quitting, here are some reputable sources for hard and fast statistics:

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention

Health Canada

Surgeon General

World Health Organization

Quit when you’re ready but please get yourself ready. No one really wants to smoke. They just don’t want to go through the pain and aggravation of withdrawal. Think about it. It’s true, and you know it.

If you want to quit, you just have to do it. It’s as simple as that.

It’s like anything painful—you get through it. Would you re-scrape your knee to stave off the itch of healing skin? No! Cravings are awful. Habits are difficult to break.

You’re going to want to yell, cry and throw things. Do it. Find a support system or a quitting partner. Avoid alcohol, because you will lose your inhibitions and might make a mistake you regret. Be a hermit for a while. Whatever it takes, do it.

Eventually, like a healing wound, the pain of it goes away. Don’t fool yourself. This isn’t like ripping off a bandage. Quitting can be a slow torture, but it will end. I still have dreams that I smoked and I wake up terrified that I ruined everything. It’s easy to quit, but you have to work hard at it.

Three things I will recommend to anyone who has had enough of being a smoker:

1. Cold turkey. Nothing works better than just quitting. Don’t screw around with anything else.

2. Read this book. Order it now and read it. Smoke while reading it if you have to, but read it, right to the very end. After numerous attempts to quit over many years, this made me quit. This book is magic.

3. Here is a timeline of what happens to your body after you’ve quit. Bookmark it. Read it each time you have a craving and read it now so you can understand why it’s so imperative you quit immediately.

Wouldn’t it be nice if ex-smokers got rewards like other addicts do when they’ve reached a milestone? It’s worth acknowledgement. In four months, I’ll be celebrating two years of being cigarette free after smoking for 18 years.

Don’t you wish you were saying the same?

Like elephant health & wellness on Facebook.

Assistant Ed: Cat Beekmans/Ed: Bryonie Wise

About Catherine Beekmans

Catherine Beekmans is a shy, friendly Canadian living in a small house with her two nearly-perfect children, two kitties and a goofy dog. Cat spends her free time reading, growing vegetables and cooking them, traveling and learning life lessons courtesy of and along with her family. Cat began contributing as a typo vigilante and now eagerly serves as an editor, writer and student of the mindful life.

37 Responses to “Read This & Instantly Quit Smoking. ~ Catherine Beekmans”

1. steve says:

I also read the book and I'm approaching 90 days smoke free after smoking for 35 years!! I tried to quit literally hundreds of times before the book…. I read it 2x and have never wanted to smoke again. brilliant

2. Angi says:

I think that we need to stop using the phrase "quit smoking" and say "stop smoking"… You are not "quitting" anything but gaining so much!!! It is a psychological difference in training the mind that you are not giving anything up… you are gaining freedom from the drug and gaining your life back!
    I too read the book and stopped smoking after 20 years. I think Allan Carr was the one who reminds us to stop not quit.. :)

• Catherine Beekmans Cat B says:

Good point Angi! It's been a while since I've read it. Thanks for clarifying. You & Allan Carr are so right—we are gaining SO much when we stop.

• PollyinWA says:

I prefer the phrase "end a bad relationship." The word quit has such a negative connotation.

3. Imogen says:

Yes. I have also heard smokers saying that I will quit smoking, I will not smoke and many such statements, but they had never tried to actually quit the habit of smoking. A smoker needs to decide himself first that he really wants to give up his habit of smoking. Smokers know that smoking can cause cancer still they used to light up cigarettes. I always advice people to stop smoking, make them aware of the other disease apart from lung cancer, which they are not aware of. Smoking can also cause emphysema, heart attacks, heart strokes, oral cancer and many more fatal diseases. It is better to stop smoking before it’s late. I have advised my friend to quit smoking by telling him various bad effects of smoking on his health and from that time he has started using electronic cigarettes that are safe to use.

4. Saga says:

That book IS magic! I´m on my fifth year as completely smoke free now, after being a heavy smoker for 20+ Doing yoga and reading the book did the trick. Great that you are spreading the word!

5. It really is terribly hard to quit smoking. I have read that the nicotine part of the addiction can be physically broken in about 10 days, so it must be something else. I have also heard that there are other chemicals in todays cigarettes that cause them to be even more addictive, I don’t know if that is true or not. Do you think electronic cigarettes are a good way to quit smoking and to slowly lower the nicotine addiction?

• Catherine Beekmans Cat B says:

Thanks for your comments! Yes, there are many other reasons why cigarettes are hard to give up aside from the physical addiction. Even one year after quitting, I would experience a tingle of a craving, despite having broken the addiction so long ago. Our brains are amazing things and there is a psychological aspect to this—what one would call the "habit" part of the addiction. Even though your body no longer wants the nicotine, your brain wants the cigarette (for comfort, because it's used to having a thing to do while driving, because it was how you took a break from something, because a beer or coffee just doesn't seem right without one). I've just celebrated 2 years being smoke free and the effort is so incredibly worth the benefits. Really and truly. I would say electronic cigarettes are a bad idea. Just stopping is the way to go.

6. Katherine says:

I stopped smoking 5 years ago. I used every crutch and stop smoking aid I could find and combined them. It was a horrible experience and though occasionally I crave a crave a cigarette, I cannot bear the thought of initial withdrawal ever again. Don’t wait til you are out of a stressful situation or until something changes. Just stop. Now. And no matter how bad it gets, tell yourself never again. No matter what.

7. Heather says:

I have a friend/neighbor who smokes so much that she really does smell ALL THE TIME…and her home smells…I don't ride in her car because of the smell and I don't spend time in her house because the smell transfers to me. Her attitude about her health is, " well I have smoked for almost 50 years so if I am gonna die from it so be it." That makes me so sad. She complains about her skin and her wrinkles and I tell her that if she stops smoking she will begin to see a change in her complexion. Even my two young children tell her smoking is bad. How can I inspire her to WANT to stop? She is a lovely, intelligent person and I hate to see her doing something so destructive!

• Cat says:

I suggest buying the book I recomended and giving it to her, letting her know that she can smoke while she reads it. Ultimately she will have to decide for herself but I believe people will often say things like that because of the addiction, becsuse quitting is an extremely difficult thing to do.

8. tessatito says:

Thanks for this inspiring and well written piece!! It give me encouragement to quit for good. With that said, I disagree that cold turkey is the mos effective way to go and so does research. More power to you if you can do this, but science doesn't lie.

9. Amanda L says:

I smoked for years and finally quite. I've been smoke free for three years. What worked for me was not telling myself "This will be my last cigarette!" That's a scary statement for someone addicted. Instead I said, "I will go as long as I can without one but if I really 'need' one, I will". That was a lot less scary and took some pressure off. I was able to slowly cut back over time. I was lucky because I was moving in with my now husband who didn't smoke. Moving somewhere smoke-free was probably the BIGGEST factor in quitting, for me. I remember when I was in the process of quitting I was also grieving. It was like losing a best friend. I know how odd that sounds, but I can't describe it any other way. Every once in a while I will reflect on my past habit and bask in the pride I feel that I was able to overcome it. Its so nice not to deal with chronic infections, shortness of breath, and the worry of when my next break will be. If you are trying to quit, you CAN do it!

• Cat says:

Amanda, absolutely, great advice and congrats on quitting! I totally agree with the grieving thing you mentioned.

• KatWood says:

It is like losing your best friend. I had to convince myself that my "friend" was killing me. After 41 years I found out I had mild COPD. It was time to say goodbye.

10. Rachface728 says:

The author is 100% correct. This book is legit magical. 2 and a half years ago, I discovered Allen Carr's "The Easy Way to Stop Smoking" while browsing a website I used to frequent for fitness advice. I read a review and ordered a copy on amazon for $7 right away.

It took me about a month to read the book – at one point I took about a 2 week break from reading it and then started up again. I will never forget where I was or what I did when I read the last chapter of the book. (You keep smoking ciggs as you read, until you finish the last page of the book.) I remember sitting on my parents' front step (I was living there at the time) reading the chapter and chain smoking 4 cigarettes in a row until I reached the last page. As I finished it, I went inside, crumpled up the 4 cigarettes remaining in my pack and flushed them down the toilet (I know that's bad for the septic system but I felt it was worth it at the time). Right after that I felt so sick because I had just smoked 4 in a row — I felt nauseous, had a headache, and felt kind of dizzy. I laid down on my bed and felt better a few minutes later. I also felt secure and sturdy in my heart and soul because I knew I would never smoke another.

It has been 2.5 years since my last drag of a cigarette, which I took as I finished reading Allen Carr's masterpiece. The best thing about quitting this way was that it was ABSOLUTELY PAINLESS. Aside from that one bit of feeling sick from chain smoking my last 4 butts, I experienced NO WITHDRAWAL symptoms, NO CRAVINGS, no pangs of discontent. I only felt happy, healthy, and confident. Sure, I still have friends I used to smoke with who smoke butts. I can easily be around them while they smoke and not have a bit of desire to have a drag. I actually still enjoy the smell of someone smoking certain types of cigarettes, but I would never smoke another.

Before I found the book, I tried so many different methods – cold turkey, electronic cigarettes, the patch, willpower….nothing even touched the effectiveness of The Easy Way to Stop Smoking. It's a miracle and it completely changed my life. This book lives up to the hype people. Order your copy today if you would like to be free from the monster controlling your life. It might just be the best thing you ever do for yourself.

11. jessyoung41 says:

The best way to quit is to quit smart turkey. Educate and research your addiction. It baffles me how nobody ever advises this. By understanding my addiction to tobacco and removing false beliefs, I was able to quit and have it be COMPLETELY painless.

Telling people they are going to die and get cancer does NOT help them quit. Smokers know it's expensive, they know it smells, they know it's socially unacceptable. Stop undermining their intelligence as if this is some new information. Actually offer up some solid information on their addiction so that they can use it to break free and remove all of the fears they have of quitting.

For anyone who is looking to quit, a great resource is It's a pity we have to read through hundreds of "no-shit" articles like these before we can actually find the answers. Luckily that website has them.

• Cat says:

Thanks for commenting. Despite the common sense / "no shit" info included, I still believe it's valuable to lay it all out. Many people have a hard time really being honest with themselves, myself included, especially when it came to smoking. I knew it was smelly, for instance, but didn't realize HOW bad it smelled until u had stopped smoking.

Even if you didn't find valuable advice yourself written here, I think many others did. I appreciate you adding another valuable resource for everyone to use, thanks!

12. John Marker says:

Thanks for writing this blog to quite smoking, really nice article. Should recommend everyone to use E Cigarettes

13. Donna says:

per my daughters suggestion…I ordered this book yesterday.

14. tina says:

this article is great. i have been smoking off and on for ten years. about two months ago i vowed to stop buying packs, which i haven't done since. i do consider myself a social smoker and will have a cigarette whenever one is around (primarily when i'm drinking.) after reading this article i will discontinue my social smoking and now be smoke-free. :)

15. Tess says:

Congrats on your achievements. I just wanted to say that Electronic cigarettes give a viable alternative, as well as helping people off tobacco (and nicotine if they choose to do so) They take the fear of quitting cold turkey out of the equation and manage cravings well. I personally use electronic cigarettes as an alternative to cigarettes as I enjoy using nicotine (which is actually no worse in its effects than caffeine) Tobacco also contains other chemicals (Monoamine Oxidase Inhibitors) that enhance the addictiveness of nicotine. E-Cigs do not contain these, so allows the user to reduce their nicotine over time (or facilitates much less distressing withdrawal if then going on to stop using nicotine all together). One thing I will say is do your research and don't just believe what you are told in newspapers and on health sites (they often have an agenda, although not always an insidious one). The more choice we give smokers overall, the more they will actually want to find better health. At the moment most smokers are given the 'quit or die' mantra (we are all going to die!) and it is counter productive. Some smokers love to smoke and we should not have the right to guilt them and shame them. Smoking is not good for your health, but neither is a lot of stuff human beings choose to do. Smokers are just people and they should be treated with the same respect non-smokers expect. Give people informed choices and allow them to make up their own minds.

• Cat says:

Thanks for commenting. I can't endorse the e cigs personally becsuse I've never used them. I guess I wondered what the point to using them is… Quitting is better in my opinion than starting a different, similar habit. I guess each person would have to research this for themselves and decide.

16. Anonymous says:

That's just you . Have you heard anyone in the army saying they want to quit or having difficulties in breathing ? I doubt so . I still have friends that run 7minutes for 2.4km . Go pasir ris camp if you don't know where is commando camp . Energy is all in you , not the cigarettes that brings you down . "Mind over body" . I'm not encouraging people to start smoking or to say smoking is good . Smoking is just a habit . Anyone can quit and those who don't , is not really a problem to you at all . You can't run just prove you're weak . I have been smoking since 10(you believe it or not , not an issue to me) I'm just 21 this year . I'm still keeping my body fit and consistently running instead of jogging . Push ups and hardcore muscles training . Who else can't ? Your are just plain lazy to do anything to keep your body fit .

17. carol kobus says:

So glad I read this article , I,ve been a non smoker for 24 years, and on my last Dr. visit I read on my information page they had listed me as a smoker. Your saying after 15 years, like a non smoker. now I feel better. People, smokers, theres nothing like it, to be smoke free. You, and only you, can do it. the VA offers a very good pamphlet to help quit smoking. thanks carol

18. At the same time, the act of smoking is ingrained as an everyday ritual. It may be a habitual response for you to smoke a cigarette with your morning coffee, while taking a break from work or school, or during your commute home at the end of a extensive day.

19. Cat says:

Yeah it is. :( We didn't create the graphic, and unfortunately can't correct it. I decided to share it anyway because the rest of the info is valuable.

20. asdf says:

A little while ago I cut back from almost half a pack a day down to 1 cig the next day, when I ran out of my brand. There were plenty of normal cigs around, so it wasn’t that I couldn’t smoke, I just didn’t feel like it. The thing is, smoking is excellent for my mental health. I started at one cig a day, because it helped with my depression and I have no desire to stop smoking. It is literally better than every single prescription and non-prescription remedy that I’ve tried. I’d rather die of lung cancer at 60 than suicide at 30. I know I should minimize my smoking, but that’s where it gets tricky… like the article says, cold turkey would be a lot easier than gradually cutting back. THAT is the tough part for me. My ideal number is probably between 1 and 5, but I’m not strict with myself and I’ll smoke more when I feel like it. I don’t feel cravings the way most people do because I’m on Welbutrin, not to quit smoking, but because it’s the second best antidepressant I’ve tried. Some days I’ll go without smoking all day, and then realize that haven’t had one and make a conscious decision to light up because if I don’t smoke for a day, the next day I get the spins. I could be wrong, but I think the Welbutrin increases the rate at which my tolerance declines. I thought I should post, because I appear to be one of the few people here who could quit, but doesn’t want to. I know I’m probably gonna get some hate for this post, but for some people with heavy duty depression smoking is totally worth it. I know everyone’s brain is different, but I can’t be the only one who doesn’t want to quit for reasons other than addiction. I think smoking is probably more beneficial than harmful to me. I’m in a good state right now and I’m doing what works for me.

For those of you who do want to quit, I’d recommend getting 2 weeks of Welbutrin (aka Bupropion) (2 sample packs), and take them for a week, then stop smoking cold turkey, take Welbutrin for another week, and then just don’t start back up again.

21. Andrew says:

Late to the discussion I know. Who knows if anyone will even ever see this. But felt like getting this off my chest.
    Most smokers I know would be right there with you. For me though, I love smoking. I love the feeling, the taste, the smell, all of it. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not ignorant of the health issues with it and how much money it costs. I’ve been an on and off smoker for over 30 years(admittedly much more on than off). And I know I need to quit sometime. And have for a few years at a time. And when I went back it’s because I missed it and wanted it back. Not the typical mindset of thinking you can have just one and getting sucked back in. Nope, I just buy a pack and start back up because I want to.
    This is the hardest part for me, is the fact that I love it and don’t want to quit. Scare tactics and throwing grizzly pictures and facts at me doesn’t phase me in the least. I know it all and have seen it all.
    I can go for long periods of time without smoking or smoking very little and the withdraws don’t really bother me much. I tend to actually stop for the winter and start back up when it gets warm out. I just hate the idea of not smoking. I hate the idea of summer without a cold drink and a cigarette. I’ve done it before and every time I’m just miserable. Even if I’ve been quit for a couple years. I never stop missing it and wanting it. Who knows if I’ll ever stop for good. Part of me would like to think I will. The other part of me hates that idea with every fiber of my being. Can’t stand even the idea of not having it in my life.
    In some ways I envy those who hate it. They have the best chance of stopping. Theirs is a habit. Mine is an absolute love and obsession. One that I don’t know if I’ll ever be able to truly leave behind for good.
    Thanks for listeningto my ramble here.

• Katwood says:

Andrew, when you hear you have COPD at age 53 it might be a different story for you. I used to feel the same way.