Inspiring Pop-Culture-Entranced Youth to Greatness.

Via on Aug 15, 2013

Ashton Kutcher

Bonus update: for more similar but even better and more thorough awesomeness, here. For more Ashton, here.

“Opportunity looks a lot like hard work.”

I have to be honest: I generally don’t pay any attention to either Ashton Kutcher or the Teen Choice Awards, but after several episodes of this appearing in my Facebook newsfeed by intelligent friends who I admire both as people and as parents, I had to take a look.

Watch this for yourself, and, if you’re a parent, please show it to your kids.

Celebrities hold a lot more clout than independent-thinking adults often want to admit—and thank goodness that one of them said this:

Like elephant journal on Facebook.

Ed: Bryonie WIse

About Jennifer S. White

Jennifer is a voracious reader, obsessive writer, passionate yoga instructor and drinker of hoppy ales. She's also a devoted mama and wife (a stay-at-home yogi). She considers herself to be one of the funniest people that ever lived and she's also an identical twin. In addition to her work on elephant journal, Jennifer has over 40 articles published on the wellness website MindBodyGreen and her yoga-themed column Your Personal Yogi ran in the newspaper Toledo Free Press. She holds a Bachelor's degree in geology, absolutely no degrees in anything related to literature, and she currently owns a wheel of cheese. If you want to learn more about Jennifer then make sure to check out her writing, as she's finally put her tendencies to over-think and over-share to good use. Jennifer's first book, The Best Day of Your Life, is now available on Amazon. Connect with her on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Instagram and on her website.

15 Responses to “Inspiring Pop-Culture-Entranced Youth to Greatness.”

1. LauraeMarie says:

Rock on Ashton .. Chris!

2. occultfan says:

"Opportunities look a lot like work."
    "Be smart, be thoughtful, and be generous."
    "Everything around us that we call life was made up by people that are no smarter than you,
    and you can build your own things, you can your own life that other people can live in,
    so build a life, don't live one, build one."
    "Find your opportunities and always be sexy".

Not bad, not bad.

P.S. But then you realize the audience he's telling to be
    sexy – is the audience of the teen choice awards.

• See response below, that was meant to be a reply (not sure what happened there). As long as I'm posting this too, I'll also add on that the audience is also all of the teens watching via television, of course.

• Amy says:

If you listen to the speech, he is saying what is "sexy" is being smart. Great message.

• Eve says:

so build a life, don't live one, build one."

Part of that was said by Steve Jobs in a 1994 interview. so Ashton didn't come up with that on his own. It was probably part of his script for the movie about Steve Jobs. Here is the original quote:
      “You tend to get told that the world is the way it is, but life can be much broader once you discover one simple fact; and that is that everything around you that you call life was made up by people no smarter than you … Once you learn that, you’ll never be the same again.”

It's great advice, but directed at an audience that may or may not get it. Christopher is one smart man!!

• Karrel E says:

this is the best speech i have heard in a very long time

3. Not sure what that means, because these are the Hollywood up-and-coming who will create what our next generation basically looks like. These are the people who need to hear that.

4. Emma says:

He took the words out of my mouth!!! …you gotta love a smart cute guy:)

5. Gabrielle says:

sounds like he is trying to give a big speech like Jobs did at Stanford U….He is just trying to sell his movie, his speech is not that great

• @Shana112573 says:

Yeah it was…and I was so glad I was watching it live with my 13-year-old daughter

• Ziggy says:

It's great with a positive perspective.

• He said during his speech that he was inspired while working on the movie, but I don't think in any way that it seemed contrived or self-serving; in fact, I'd argue the exact opposite. At one point during his talk, I remember thinking to myself that working on this movie was obviously something that profoundly impacted him (and many people find Steve Jobs to be inspirational). Additionally, he looked like he might even cry at a few points with his intensity, and I know he's an actor, but this speech was definitely heartfelt.

6. One says:

Yeah… it was that good. Great message. And good for him to challenge the audience to be better instead of pandering to their fears, insecurities, and naivety. Nicely done Mr. Kutcher.

7. It is really good. I get kind of sad when I think that the audience really didn't get what he said. I hope, for that reason, that this goes viral and is shown to those who can listen and live it.