Are You in the Ashtanga Cult? ~ Elaine Oyang

Via Elaine Oyang‏on Oct 9, 2013

Guided Practice at the K. Pattabhi Jois Ashtanga Yoga Institute

To be an avid Ashtanga practitioner is like being part of a cult.

We wake up before the roosters crow, stick to the six days a week practice, we chant, we bow to Sri K Pattabhi Jois as our Guruji, and we think it’s a crime to practice on Moon Days. By seven, eight, or nine in the morning we would have finished a couple hours of this ritual, where each step needs to be performed in a specific order.

Without noticing it, Ashtanga yoga has seeped its juices into our lives, slowly and silently changing the way we eat, socialize, sleep, and poop (yes, you read that right).

Check off the list below. If you have more than half of them checked, then congratulations, you have officially become part of the Ashtanga cult!

1. You are addicted to it. You talk about it any chance you get with your friends (both the “normal” friends and your “yoga” friends), your mom and dad, your spouse, your dog, your cat, your fish, and strangers. You daydream and dream about the day you’ll be able to lift from sitting into a handstand. You get a certain high after your practice, and you simply just can’t get enough of it.

2. You think about your bandhas. A lot. When standing in line, at the BART station, or in the elevator, I sometimes subconsciously engage my bandhas. Hey, it doesn’t hurt to practice more of your pubococcygeus (PC) muscles, perhaps burn a couple additional calories, and it gives you a better posture. As Guruji recommended, use your bandhas for everything you do in your daily activities, including eating, walking, drinking, sitting, etc.

3. You don’t mind routine. In fact, you cherish it. It throws you off if one day you step onto your mat for yoga criminalpractice at 7 a.m. instead of your regular 6am. Perhaps you, like me, prefers to live a more routined, unspontaneous lifestyle, or that the practice is the only routined and predictable thing in your life.

4. You eat dinner religiously before 6 p.m. And it most likely looks like a pile of raw and lightly cooked greens with a little fat and protein. It might also look more like a snack or appetizer than a dinner to any other “normal” person.

5. You have high pain-tolerance. You know, the old “no pain, no gain” saying is kind of true for Ashtanga. Or, as Sharath likes to say, “new asana, new pain.”  Rarely will you meet a devoted Ashtangi who hasn’t gone through some sort of pain, injury, and the like. Yet, as long as you’re not near crippled, you continue your practice. Modify and adapt.

6. You can easily dress up as Darth Vader for Halloween. You’ve mastered the ujjayi breath, and you have your staple black tank top and black yoga pants. All you need now is a bad-ass looking mask/helmet and boots, a black cape, and yogi life saber.

7. Waking up at 7 a.m. is considered “sleeping in.” Check the Facebook statuses of your Ashtangi friends. I guarantee each of them have at least commented on how nice it was to sleep in on a Saturday until 6:30 a.m. or 7 a.m.

8. You follow Moon Days religiously. Again, back to the cult idea. If you don’t follow them, you will be in trouble with the Ashtanga police, and bad omen will come get you.

9. You feel restless if you go two days without practice. Refer to point number one.

10. You drool when you watch Sharath, or Kino (besides the fact that she’s a gorgeous blonde), or Richard Freeman, or any other senior teachers on YouTube. While “normal” people share the latest adorable kitty videos, we share videos of people smiling and talking and putting their legs behind their heads all at the same time like they are merely sipping on a cup of coffee.

11. You’ve had something with your hamstring attachments, or your SI joints, or your knees, or your wrists, or your shoulders, or your lower back, from Ashtanga practice. Deep forward bends, strong hip openings, caturangas, extreme back bends, and a somewhat inflated ego (or, unfortunately, sometimes a teaching lacking in knowledge and awareness) can come to these results.

12. You live in the Ashtanga bubble. It’s hard to acquaint yourselves with other teachers or yogis from other styles. No offense, but you think some of the other styles of yoga are a total fluff, or you can’t get over the fact that they have Party Rock Anthem pumping in their classes. And what’s that? See your heart blossom towards the infinite sky? No thanks.

13. You care about how you look. Admit it, you came into this cult initially because you wanted to put your legs behind your head, and because you admired that strong, supple, perfectly sculpted body of that woman in front you, and who was also practicing Advanced A series.

14. You don’t do dinner parties anymore. The horror of eating past 7 p.m. and not being able to hit the haystack by 9 p.m. has made you become somewhat antisocial. Breakfast or lunch dates sound more like your type of thing.

15. Visiting Mysore, India is on your bucket list. Self-explanatory.

Like elephant yoga on Facebook.

Ed: Dana Gornall

Photo Credit: Flickr

About Elaine Oyang‏

Elaine is a yoga teacher and a kids culinary instructor based in the San Francisco Bay Area. She has been an active member of the Ashtanga cult since 2007, and her passion and her dedication for it has not waned since. She has trained and studied with Paul Dallaghan, Adarsh Williams, and Sri O. P. TIwari in the Ashtanga vinyasa method, yoga therapy, and pranayama. As a foodie and a baker, she believes that (dark) chocolate should be a food group on its own and every household should have chocolate as a staple. You can connect with Elaine at her Facebook page or her website, where she regularly updates her blog and her teaching, including her signature “Yoga for Stiff People” class.

10 Responses to “Are You in the Ashtanga Cult? ~ Elaine Oyang”

1. Stepf says:

Could we please stop with the stories about how hard-core we Ashtangis are? We get up early. We have rules. We think about bandhas. Could we just do our practice and stop stroking our egos about how awesome we are for doing it?

2. Angeles says:

What a nice surprise to read you here Elaine! Good job! Namaste, Angeles

3. Kimberly Lo kimberlylowriter says:

Yup. I am in the cult! ;)

4. Dmitri says:

That's some dedication! Namaste!

5. Dale Elson says:

<chuckle>

6. Nuno from Portugal says:

Yes, I am in the ashtanga yoga cult. I confess that I love the practice, even though I made some adaptations to myself. For example, I am not a morning person and I practice in the evening.for 5 times a week except moon days (i use these days for additional rest). I have my practice at home (apart form the occasional visit to a shala) and I use modifications whenever necessary not needing to stop in a particular posture. I enjoy the perspective of David Swenson making the practice not so dogmatic.

7. amphibi1yogini says:

16. You dislike kirtan.
    17. You tolerate other mind-body disciplines (e.g. pilates)
    18. Music has graced your home practice, only by dritfing in ….

8. Qvintus says:

I have a few objections, and in my mind cults are authoritarian social constructs that should be disbanded and avoided.

1. No, I don't talk about yoga with everybody — only with those interested and if someone brings it up, and I don't dream about lifting into handstand. It's a saadhana, spiritual practice, and it doesn't need proselytizing, only the occasional demonstration by some more advanced yogi(ni)s (which I am not).

2. I sometimes reflect on the bandhas, but there's no need to be a tight-ass about it.

3. Routine is fine (especially for those who need it). However, if I practice at 6 or 7 a.m. really makes no difference (as long as I don't overstay my welcome at the shala, of course) — I don't even mind much if it's done in the afternoon, as long as I find the time to do it. (Home practice is very liberating!)

4. No, I don't always eat dinner before 6 p.m., and I usually eat rather a lot because I need a lot of energy (HYP 3:80), both for my job and my practice. (I'm slowly turning more and more vegan, but that takes some effort and quite some knowledge to do right.)

5. Not at all true (imo) — for any kind of yoga actually. An unnecessarily painful practice is extremely counterproductive. If there is pain and injury, one is doing it wrong and not really practicing ashtanga (Patanjali) yogasana, but merely attempting asana (probably with insufficient knowledge and experience). Please, stop what you're doing if this is the case, and find yourself a good/qualified teacher. Pain and injury is detrimental to health, peace of mind, and increase of prana.
    The yogic way is to not be attached to neither pain (duhkha/dvesha) nor pleasure (raaga/sukha), but whenever possible choose peace & happiness.
    “For one who has discrimination [vivekinaha], everything is suffering on account of the suffering produced by the consequences [of action], by pain [itself], and by the samskaaras, as well as on account of the suffering ensuing from the turmoil of the vrittis due to the gunas [i.e. the qualities of prakriti; sattva (lucidity), rajas (action), tamas (inertia)].
    Suffering that has yet to manifest is to be avoided.” (YS 2:15-16)

6. I don't celebrate Halloween, and I think the breathing with sound should be more subtle than the Darth Vader percolator noise.

7. Waking up after 3 a.m. is sleeping in for me. I only take a day off from practice when I don't find the time, or when I feel that my body needs some extra rest.

8. No, since I usually don't do any Hindu pujas, and I don't believe the moon has that much of an effect on me, though I think there are good reasons to respect this tradition (and a connection to nature). So far, I've managed to avoid the AYP with their HQ on Maui/Hawaii (luckily far away from where I live).

9. Yes, practice is a lot better daily, 24-7 preferably as there are seven more limbs of ashtanga …

10. There are quite a few awesome and inspirational teacher, but I've never seen any of them sipping coffee or anything like that in dwi pada shirshasana, etc.

11. True, and this should teach us to practice with care (attention, loving-kindness & knowledge), and with an abundance of patience & vairagyam (non-attachment). There are a few things I wish I had known when I started as a fresh beginner.

12. No, it's easy and totally okey to have a lot of respect/admiration and even be very curious about e.g. Iyengar Yoga, but certainly I prefer mantras over party rock anthems with my yoga. No need to look down on people for using props, or for being interested in other things than ‘traditional’ Ashtanga, or devotion to Ishvara.

13. No, I don't care that much about my looks. I came to this practice because I was lured and curious, not to hook up with pretty girls, who probably aren't interested in me anyways. Now I just want to be more at peace, while still living more fully. As long as it helps me on that path, I'm gonna keep at it.

14. Parties are fine and fun, as long as it doesn't happen too often; a balanced social life is important for anyone's well-being.

15. Not really necessary. I might go to Mysore, or not, in the future. But since flying to the other side of the Earth makes for a huge carbon foot print, besides being expensive (as it should be), I would rather not like to do that a lot (ahimsa), and authorization is also not a big deal for me (aparigraha).

I guess I'm not in the cult? (phew)

9. Summer says:

I'm in the cult. I'll own my addiction. :)

10. gina says:

To be a yogi is to let go of attachment and question everything…even the school to which we belong. It’s easy to become “obsessed” with ashtanga and that’s not healthy. One must ask themselves if too much attachment to the practice is actually pushing you away from the self-realization that a yogi strives for. Lota of injuries happen when we push ourselves because we are grasping too hard to achieve a posture or we’re not listening to our bodies. This doesnt bring you any closer to samadhi, and all these repetitive motion injuries that are happening are so silly because the asanas are not what it’s about anyway. Why are we wearing our joints out and stressing our nervous systems just so we can become gymnasts? Also, aside from fellow practitioners, it’s probable that hardly anybody else you know wants to hear you talk about yoga. I am an ashtangi and I’ve been through ALL of the points you stated but I dont think they’re anything to be proud of. Type A sort of people tend to be drawn to this practice and if it’s not approached carefully, it can reinforce certain obsessive and rigid personality traits and deepen samskaras/vasanas. Dedication is required but so is free thinking, even if that means you have to break the “rules” sometimes. Ashtanga police won’t come kick down your door.