Via on Nov 20, 2013

Screen Shot 2013-11-10 at 10.46.14 PM

Relephant reads:

Fitness Unarmed: Armless Body Builder Inspires.

Worthy of Love.

Diary of a Sad Dog. {Video}

“Animals don’t hate and we are supposed to be better than them.”

~ Elvis Presley

It’s often said: that which we despise in others is what we despise in ourselves. We see this kind of hatred all around the world: warring religious factions in The Middle East (descending from the same ancestry) fighting over what’s the “right” name for “God”; Christian leaders who preach against homosexuality while having affairs with male lovers; even just the everyday battle of the sexes between women who think all men are pigs and men who think all women are b*tches—when really what everyone wants from the other is simply love and acceptance.

“In time we hate that which we often fear.”

~ William Shakespeare, Antony and Cleopatra

We are more alike than we like to admit because that means we have to do the hard work of accepting all of who we are, especially the dark and shadowy bits—the bits that we fear will prove that we are unlovable. This is where the power of unconditional love shines the brightest.

Imagine truly loving ourselves without having to prove our worthiness.

Imagine if just our very existence merited that we are lovable? What if we are, in fact, love itself? And what if that radical self-acceptance inspired the same in others?

Animals exemplify this concept with such touching purity. There have been numerous studies to suggest that living with pets helps with health and happiness. Animals are empathic creatures and can feel us. They know when to come near when we need them the most. They offer companionship and love, while asking for nothing in return.

The Brazilian comic below deeply touched me with its message of compassion and self-acceptance. May we continue to heal and grow from the unconditional love of animals and may we humans soon be the face of unconditional love itself.

dog-comic

Want 15 free additional reads weekly, just our best?

Get our weekly newsletter.

Editor: Cat Beekmans

{Photo: Mentirinhas.}

About Candice Holdorf

Candice Holdorf is currently working on her book, “From 6 to 9 and Beyond: Widening the Lens of Feminine Eroticism.” You can pre-order your copy here. She is a writer for elephantjournal and The Good Men Project, as well as a sex + life coach specializing in desire, sexuality and Orgasmic Meditation. For inquiries on her coaching, visit her website. She is also a California-based actress, former yoga teacher and recovering anorexic who has discovered that there is tremendous power inside of hunger. Find out more about Candice on her blog, follower her on Twitter, Facebook and YouTube

31 Responses to “Completely in Tears After Reading this Sweet & Heartbreaking Comic. ~ Candice Holdorf”

1. Kate says:

Absolutely beautiful.

2. Helen says:

Oh bloody hell, why did I read this with eye make up on. Sniff. Awesome. <3

3. Betsy says:

Candace- Love this! Others are the mirror into ourselves. Xoxo Betsy

4. mee says:

best thing I've read all day.

5. Tovah says:

Truly incredible! Such a mind changer. Thank you!!

6. Lisa says:

Whenever my son is feeling sorry for himself, I tell him about how dogs never feel sorry for themselves. One of my friends has a three legged dog and he doesn't feel sorry for himself. He's just as happy as can be. He can still run and jump and play. And dogs don't make fun of other dogs because they may be different. They just love. We definitely can learn some things from our pets.

7. theholistictherapist says:

Good thing I was on a sneezing fit at the start of reading this..
    Or else some explanation is needed for my wild tissue usage!

8. Jen says:

I cried too. Sweet, thanks for sharing.

9. Jen says:

I cried too. Sweet, thanks for sharing.

10. Emily Alp emilyalp says:

How can you not cry when you read this … how can this not break your heart wide open? Thank you so much.

11. Emily Alp emilyalp says:

12. ValterV says:

Thank you thank you thank you.
    Of course I'm in tears… and of course it could'nt be anyway else.
    Powerful. Love U :-*

13. Mallory says:

It doesn't get any more beautiful than this!

14. Joe Sparks says:

Enjoyed your article very much but in my perspective there is nothing wrong with human beings except the result of mistreatment. Only mistreatment makes humans into problems. Stop mistreatment and problems will be stopped. Most of the problems come from the present society we live in. This society pretends to be helpful, it divides into classes. We must learn to change society to serve all people. Thanks!

15. tlkitae1 says:

awww – beautiful. Well done.

16. Celia says:

watch this offbeat short film about a young man who discovers he has lost an arm http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sO-n0KQLYkU

17. wiz says:

yep but we still kill horses when they break a leg

18. Nikki L says:

This article was amazing. Instead of crying this article and the comic itself brought a smile to my face. Not because I find it funny, but because I share your views. I volunteer for a dog rescue and too often see dogs with ‘defects’ That most people cant look past or through. I always found myself drawn to them because I have viewed myself as ‘defective’ due to many unfortunate events. I know not everyone shares that view and I wish they could see past any visual ‘flaws’ and see the beauty in the animal and not see how much is missing from the animal, but see just how much is there. What they lack in a limb, eye sight, hearing, etc. They make up in love…they have so much to offer. The same can be said for people. thank you for writing this, I hope it touches many people’s hearts hearts and hopefully opens the hearts of others.

19. Cole's boss says:

Found a dog at a dump and took him home, not long after that he shattered a leg jumping out of my car.
    Took him to the vet, found out that it was a very complex fix that would have to be performed a 100 miles away and cost thousands of dollars—or I could just put him down. We looked at each other (me and the dog, not the vet) climbed in the car and headed for the specialist. That was 4 years ago. He has a 100% leg, I have a 100% friend, and the money was better spent on the dog than on most of the useless junk in my life.

20. ithurtswhenipee says:

Dog still has 1 more leg than the kid.