Dear Right Person, Wrong Time. ~ Jenny Spitzer

Via on Jul 11, 2014

Warning: naughty language ahead!

Dear right person, wrong time,

Just as we say hello, we need to say goodbye. That’s so fucked up! I have so much that I want to say to you, to share with you. I have a million things that I’ve been dying to tell you. Goodbye is not one of them.

I’ve been waiting such a long time for you.

Actually, waiting isn’t the right word. Waiting suggests passivity and I certainly haven’t been sitting on my ass waiting (for anything). I’ve been working—on lots of things, including figuring out who I am and subsequently who you are.

In doing so, I’ve experienced a lot of who you are not. And that is how I know you, now, when I see you.

I wouldn’t have recognized you five or 10 or 15 years ago. And isn’t that ironic because if we met then, it might have been the right time. For you, that is. But not for me, because as I said, I wouldn’t have recognized you, understood you, accepted you, loved you.

Not as I do now.

As for you, although you may recognize me as a person who might be right for you, I am not, not now. You’re attached to something—a person, an experience, an idea of who you may or may not be, all of these, it doesn’t matter—you need to figure out who you are, with and without that something, before you can fully know who you are at all.

And you need to know who you are before you can be with the right person. How would you even know that they are right for you without knowing who you is?

It’s so damn tempting, though. For us both. To take the shortcut. To acquiesce to the loopholes that seem so clearly laid out for us. We can let ourselves think things like, “Technically, it can be the right time…”

And it feels benign, instinctive, right to just float effortlessly through those loopholes together. We can fit (almost) perfectly through them. All it would take is to let go. Let it happen. Relax and let the water carry us over—instead of my stubborn grasping on to this tiny brittle twig.

It would be natural, like breathing. And I want it desperately like I want to release a breath that I’ve been holding for too long.

But as I said, while I’ve been waiting, I’ve been working. Working on discovering who I am, who I want to be. And who do I want to be? Not an asshole, for starters. Not to anyone, including myself. And not being an asshole means doing the right thing.

I’ve plunged through loopholes before—more than I care to count. And here is what I learned: the right thing is always a doorway unto itself. It’s not necessarily, or typically, easy to walk through, but it always has its own direct path.

It is never a loophole.

What feels right is not always right.

The task at times is to allow the feeling to be, but to do precisely the opposite. To swim against the tide, to resist the pull towards something or someone that, for one reason or another, is not right for you.

The right person at the wrong time is wrong for you in a kick ass disguise, reminding us to keep working, to keep moving forward in the right direction. And sometimes we have to move our feet first and wait for the heart to follow. It will follow. I promise.

Love always, (no, not always—just for now. For now it burns hot like a damn inferno but a fire unfed eventually fizzles out.

~ Wrong (for you, for now, and perhaps, for always)

~

Relephant:

9 Relationship Red Flags For Everybody.

~

The Whole Point of Every Relationship (is probably not what you think it is).

~

~

Love elephant and want to go steady?

Sign up for our (curated) daily and weekly newsletters!

Apprentice Editor: Melissa Horton/ Editor: Cat Beekmans

Images: Barney Moss, Flickr Creative Commons

About Jenny Spitzer

Jenny Spitzer hails from NYC and is currently living in Pittsburgh, PA where she works as a clinical social worker and college instructor. Check out Jenny’s blog about dating and other things that she’s about 77% sure of here. Connect with Jenny Spitzer on Facebook.

39 Responses to “Dear Right Person, Wrong Time. ~ Jenny Spitzer”

1. Wyoming says:

Beautiful. I needed this today. Thank you.

2. Erin says:

Fuc*, Jenny. You’re right. Thank you sending a sharp blade of truth, wisdom, and compassion right through me, skewering my gut, heart and mind in one swoop. I’ll take what you’ve said and see if I need to get my feet moving, hoping my heart falls in line sooner than later. Yuck.

• Jenny Spitzer Jenny Spitzer says:

Erin,
      Thank you so much for your response. Oy, it turns out my feet will need to move ahead of my heart again, today. I'm right there with you and you're right – yuck! It's a fitting word to describe a body in pieces like this. But the last time I experienced this, my heart did catch up. It was jealous of all of the fun my feet were having. I'm venturing that it will catch up again. One day they'll be realigned and we will feel whole again. Today I promise you as well as myself – we'll be okay – soon ;-)
      Gratefully,
      Jenny

3. Jenny Spitzer Jenny says:

Erin,
    Thank you so much for your response. Oy, it turns out my feet will need to move ahead of my heart again, today. I'm there with you and you're right – yuck! It's a fitting word to describe a body in pieces like this. But the last time I experienced this, my heart did catch up. It was jealous of all of the fun my feet were having. I'm venturing that it will catch up again. One day they'll be realigned and we will feel whole again. Today I promise you as well as myself :,-( we'll be okay.
    Gratefully,
    Jenny

4. Victor says:

So right, if you cant' find yourself, you will not find the right person to love
    Cheeers!!! And Love :)

5. Allison says:

So incredibly relevant to my life right now.

• Jenny Spitzer Jenny spitzer says:

I feel like it’s so common to all of our lives at one time or another. And in many cases, at least in mine, it’s relevant several times throughout life. Thank you for your comment :-) Gratefully, Jenny.

6. Amy says:

This is happening to me right now. I just want so badly for it to be the right time.

In any case, I'm thankful for reading this : )

7. Amy E says:

Life is a journey and timing is everything. We don't know what is around every corner. I expect that two people might cross each other's paths a few times in a lifetime. One person might carry an eternal flame, while the other may not. There is no reason to hurry or lament. Que sera sera. Loving and knowing oneself, first, is paramount, for both. Well written article.

8. mylie says:

so beautiful thanks for sharing

9. Yep, totally get this! xo

10. Kittel says:

its just what I live a few days ago.
    for her was was not the Right person =[
    but Life goes on =]

• Jenny Spitzer Jenny says:

I'm sorry to hear that, Kittel It's painful but it will get better in time. Thank you for commenting. Gratefully, Jenny

11. Jen says:

Aside from your blog and EJ, do you write anywhere else?

• Jenny Spitzer Jenny spitzer says:

Hi Jen,

Currently Ive only been writing for EJ and for my blog. Always lookin for opportunities. Thanks for reading and commenting!

-Jenny

12. Renee says:

Damn, well said. One of those big, fat life lessons that some of us *cough, cough* only learn in hindsight.

• Jenny Spitzer Jenny Spitzer says:

Lol Renee. I only learned this AFTER all of those others I learned in hindsight. That's how we all learn. Thanks for commenting. Gratefully, Jenny =)

13. I understand this, although I believed she was the right person to balance me, as I could with her, in the end it was the wrong time, for me that is. But that doesn't mean that I need to stop caring about her, unconditional love knows no bounds with time. She may have been the right person at the wrong time, but eventually there will be someone who is the right person at the right time.

14. geekinthepink87 says:

I also needed this lol. Sometimes we agonize over choices like which person to date or what job to take but what really matters is the work we do on ourselves and none of those things will really make a difference or can fulfil us until we can come to fully appreciate and accept them. Let things come and go <3 life is abundant.

15. Hogan says:

I am struggling with this type of relationship right now. Right person (most likely); wrong time. We have so much to say to each other – things that need to be shared. We might not get to say anything more. She went thru a painful divorce that was finalized last year. She has never spent enough time alone with herself to find out who she is. She needs that time to heal and to learn. I, on the other hand, have not been in a relationship for almost six years. I've had plenty of time to figure out who I am and what I want. I went thru a rough period last year, because I was given some medication that created some nasty side effects, but that got cleared up. Unfortunately, this happened around the time we were getting to know each other. She got angry and I withdrew. We started talking again a couple months ago. The right feelings are there, it's just the wrong time and it really sucks. I'm ready for a relationship, but I'm not in a hurry. I would be okay alone. I need to give her time to find herself. (I hate it when women say that – sorry, ladies.) A woman friend wants to date me. She is a terrific person, but the same chemistry isn't there. I don't know what to do. Beyond giving her space, the rest is a mystery.

• Selene says:

let her be alone and get to know herself, that's the best that you can do for you and her. I was in a divorce when I get to know this man, and we ended up breakup- he is ready for a relationship but I'm not, so, we broke up, we still talk to each other and give each other time. As I need to grow and heal completely by myself independently. It's been months now and the process is very good. I get to know myself and explore my own feeling. Sometimes, it is good to left it mystery. I always believe, if it is meant to be yours, it will always be yours.

16. laura moore says:

I disagree. We can make any time the right time. Life is about love and happiness. Never miss out on a chance at either. That is what life is about. Dont miss out on either because you are busy trying to “find” yourself. Life is too short, so take every opportunity you can to give and receive love! You create who you want to be, you will find yourself right inside.

• Laura, with all due respect, and in my humble (yet professional) opinion, there actually IS a wrong time for some. Many people are not yet ready to call in a healthy relationship into their lives. This is why unhealthy and challenged relationships are sadly more "the norm" in our culture. We do need to do our self examination work and find a strong sense of self love in order to even begin to give and receive love with another person. A strong, loving relationship has to start first with self, and if that has not been established we are doomed to keep making the same mistakes in love over and over. There are no short cuts here. <3

17. I love this so much I’ve been making it weekly reading for me since I first found it. Such a powerful reminder to wait for right- right guy AND right time. ❤️❤️ Thank you

18. Very well written Jenny. I enjoyed it and totally agree. Btw, I don't wear a watch; that's how much I hate bad timing. :)
    Love and Light ~ Debra

19. lpycb42 says:

Story of my life, right person wrong time/wrong person, right time. Never in my 30 years of age have I ever been in a real, loving relationship that has lasted more than a few months. Most of the time, because either side seems to not be into the other enough. This was a great read for me, since I'm starting to lose faith in finding the right person. So, thanks for that.

20. @kraluna007 says:

this is the story of my life I love you guys is a pleasure read those articles!!

21. Kris says:

I understand this completely. It's very true, but I do thing that two people can cross each others lives many times. Maybe it's wrong and always will be wrong, or maybe one day it will truly be the right time for both and will finally come to fruition. Either way, what will be will be. You just have to let it happen, or not…