Skip Your Morning Meditation & Watch this Instead.

Via Kristin Luce
on Apr 22, 2012
get elephant's newsletter

This video will do in five minutes what takes your meditation two hours.

What separates “boring” from “peaceful”?

Arguably it is the magic and beauty of innocence that emerges when we are truly open. Anyone who has practiced sitting meditation for more than a few minutes knows that you have to sit through a lot of “boring” (and sometimes worse) before the peace and magic begins.

This video of a baby’s first bath, on the other hand, cuts straight to the chase!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPSAgs-exfQ&feature=share[/youtube]

Bonus: How We Can (Quickly) Wake Up Our Minds to the Present Moment.

~

Read more:

15 Special Tips for My Pregnant Friends.

The Pregnant Goddess is an Electrified Being! ~ Carole Westerman

~

Editor: Tanya L. Markul, Photo courtesy: Kristin Luce

A mindful tip for a morning to determine our day:

About Kristin Luce

Kristin Luce is slowly going sane by using her actual life and relationships to wake up. Her quest for truth has led her through a B.A. in Philosophy, an M.A. in Buddhist Psychology, intensive retreat practice, certification as a Meditation Instructor, two life-changing relationships and two life-changing kids. She now provides in-depth coaching for individuals and couples who want profound and dramatic transformation. An avid writer, she has been featured in such publications as Mothering Magazine and The Buddhadharma, and is a regular contributor to elephant journal. Friend her on Facebook, Twitter, her website or contact her at [email protected].

Comments

262 Responses to “Skip Your Morning Meditation & Watch this Instead.”

1. Guest says:

I don't know what's more touching the softness of the baby or the gentle caress of the woman…beautiful human contact.

2. Caitlin says:

Watch this every day. Never gets boring, always incredible.

3. jamesvincentknowles says:

omg… imagine if everyone knew kindness, compassion and love like this. so obvious why we all need tranquility and gentle understanding in our lives. thank you. namaste

4. Kimberley McGill says:

Thank you. Thank you so much.

5. George says:

Wow – simply wow 🙂

6. Just posted to "Featured Today" on the brand new Elephant Family and Education Homepage.
    Also posted to the Elephant Journal main page on Facebook.

Lorin Arnold
    Blogger at
    The VeganAsana
    Please "like" Elephant Family on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

7. Cherrie says:

Really lovely.

8. Scott Perkins says:

Truly Lovely, but don’t skip your morning meditation. Surely there’s time to include both!

9. thirtydaysofyoga says:

Wow, so beautiful. Not like my baby's first bath, I cried and panicked because her lips turned blue. Sigh. :O)

10. […] This video will do in five minutes what takes your meditation two hours. | elephant journal. […]

11. KristinSLuce says:

Amen. Now it's my turn to touch beauty and innocence through my sitting practice. Thanks, Scott.

12. KristinSLuce says:

And they get so slippery!

13. […] video I just watched had began with this: Skip Your Morning Meditation & Watch this Instead. This Video Will Do in Five Minutes What Takes Your Meditation Two […]

14. jenn says:

This video actually made me nervous. I can appreciate the gentleness, love, and care the nurse showed during the bath and the massage was extra sweet.

15. Jess says:

Beautiful. I wish every baby's first bath was like this. Pure love.

16. Guest says:

great video, I just have no idea why a yoga site would suggest to skip meditation or compare anything to a long meditation which is also yoga practice. Sort of suggests nice videos or anything else could replace the practice of meditation. I’ll pick meditation even though I like nice videos like these.

17. Soo Kee Foo says:

Watsu and similar techniques offer the same for adults. If you've never tried then you're missing out. Lovely video by the way, but definitely won't be replacing my meditation practice any time soon.

18. ellen says:

I get that she's simulating the womb experience with all the water, but it made me nervous too. I just would worry about covering the baby's face with water like that and she seemed obsessed with submerging his/her head under the water! Am I the only one?

19. Courtney says:

Thank you so so much, this is just what I needed. I am going to counter many of these commenters by reminding them that this IS meditation! Many of us associate the term with zen meditation, which aims to completely clear the mind of thought. However, if we look at yogic meditation, as is alluded to in the Sutras, it is really just being able to focus your mind on one object–the sensations in your body, your breath, a candle, or yes, even a beautiful video of the gift of life and love shared between a baby and a nurse. Even as a yoga teacher, I am still human, and often struggle to get into my meditation seat. This video is just the stepping stone I needed right now in order to be able to cultivate that level of mindfulness in my meditation, and what a powerful meditation it is.

20. Stacy says:

Teach me… would love to learn how to do this for when I have precious babies of my own.

21. Comadrona says:

Sadly, not all babies enjoy water around them or over them, but most of them love a gentle massage (make sure the room is very warm).

22. Tanya Lee Markul says:

Posted to Elephant Yoga on Facebook and Twitter.

Tanya Lee Markul, Yoga Editor
    Like Elephant Yoga on Facebook

23. Declan says:

Beautiful and inspiring thank you

24. Declan says:

Question the music score, who is the artist, i would love to but some of their music

25. carolkaruna says:

I thought so too for a moment, but then I could tell that she was very trained in this technique. I was thinking "don't try this at home" unless you've had this training.

26. GUEST says:

Yeah, nervous indeed — what about not getting water in the ears!?

27. What a beautiful baby. Such a lovely film.

28. jen says:

Maybe b/c my biggest fear is drowning, but I didn't find this relaxing at all. I got a panicked feeling every time she poured water over the poor child's face!!

29. Waylon Lewis, ed. says:

We're not a yoga site, friend. We're a site devoted to life. That said, yes, I don't skip my morning meditation for nothing!

30. Waylon Lewis, ed. says:

That's what meditation is for…to learn to relax, to come back from panic! It's not about escape.

31. Thank you for sharing. It brings sweet memories of my two boys first baths…14 and 11 years ago! Can't believe they were ever such tiny little peanuts. Infant massage is a wonderfully therapeutic way for new mom and baby to bond. Find a warm sunny spot near a closed window (no draft) – helps jaundice too – and savor the skin on skin contact. For boys, a cotton cloth in the midriff prevents you from getting a pee facial (good for a laugh and not the end of the world.)

32. Sharon says:

This video brought back precious memories of bathing my two babies many years ago very similar to the way the nurse is bathing this sweet baby. It was wonderful to see this baby settle into the peaceful reminder of mother's womb. Watching this video also made me cry. Partly because I miss the days when my children were babies and needed me completely, and also because I miss the days when I was once more peaceful within myself. Life brings many stressful situations to each day. Just seeing this baby so peaceful brought focus and peace back to me for at least five minutes.

33. Julie says:

That was scary….who wants water in there face? I’m glad the baby survived.

34. Vicki says:

The baby loved it!! Of course the baby survived!!!!???!,

You could see how relaxed it made the baby. I am a maternity nurse and I do this to all my babies I look after and teach the mums.

I have never had one baby that did not like it. 🙂

35. Rob says:

So unlike the pictures people post on fb of their baby screaming during their first bath. This is a bath done right. I think the babies that someone pointed out that don't necessarily like water aren't being bathed right. They just came from a place of pure comfort and security, surrounded by water, why would they not like it now that they're out of the womb? I have seen lots of reasons why. Waters too hot, too cold, room is too cold, the horrible bath tubs that are supposed to ergonomically correct are just plain stupid… I could go on and on. This was awesome. Everyone with a new baby should watch this before they attempt the first bath.

36. rhythmoftheyear says:

Premies (and this baby looks tiny) are usually hyper sensitive to touch especially the stroke type. I was bothered by the tap water running over the baby like it was a dish in the kitchen sink. The baby kept rooting for the breast. Where was it? Newborn babies tend to check out when they are overstimulated and can look so peaceful and asleep because they have left their bodies from the stress. Newborn babies are not dirty. How about skin to skin with Mama? Bath with mama. Not like a dish in the sink.

37. KristinSLuce says:

I read somewhere that this is actually a very specific technique (not to be tried by an "amateur"). I don't know if that is true or not, and when I looked I was unable to find the source that I found before. Perhaps someone out there knows the name of this technique, or where to find more info? Thank you for your post!

38. cena says:

I'm with you. I never submerged my baby's face like that.

39. KristinSLuce says:

I had the same initial fear, about water on her face, and then I saw that no water was going over her mouth and that she could obviously breathe just fine, no stress. In fact, the opposite seemed to be true, she seemed to become more and more calm (and of course she had just spent 9 months living in amniotic fluid). You may want to watch again and pay close attention to the baby's experience, and just notice what you see, without the worry that she is going to drown (which obviously, she doesn't) 🙂 Hope this is of help.

40. KristinSLuce says:

See my comment above (about two up). I had the same concern at first… Thanks for you post!

41. Manda Damwijk says:

This is soooooooooooh beautiful, I wished I had done it with my babies, Thanks.

42. […] apocalypse in my nightmares. Instead, it redirected me to me. The end of the world has this way of turning you into a baby by stripping your mind naked and taking you back to where you first […]

43. Every baby in the world should be treated this way.

44. felipe david says:

simplemente maravilloso, namaste

45. blabs says:

Yes it made me nervous at times too. The water being so close to the nose and mouth freaked me out!

46. Rinchen says:

If only all the world's people could experience something like this in their own lives! We might be able to love each other.

47. matthewscottwallace says:

in this video, they are one and the same

48. MamaYogi says:

Igualito al baño que le dieron a mi hija recién nacida en la maternidad en la que nació. Solo ver esto me acuerdo de la enfermera que sin saludar, la cogió y la bañó con más brusquedad de la que cualquiera pueda imaginar. Ver esto me gusta, pues quiere decir que -quizá- esa enfermera pueda verlo y aprender a tratar a seres tan indefensos. En España nos hace falta un poco de amor …

49. Julie says:

The world would be a more tranquil and loving place if we were all treated this way at birth. what a blessing for these babies.