To the Christian Who Sent Me Hate Mail on Easter Sunday.

Via Sadie Nardini
on Apr 8, 2012
get elephant's newsletter

Apparently, some people feel that “No Christian Should Ever Do Yoga.”

Hi everyone!

Guess what I just found in my mailbox, nestled in-between my Time-Warner cable bill and a couple of checks from my day job teaching at yoga studios across the nation:

Hate mail.

Wait, check that…Christian hate mail, which seems to me a direct contradiction in terms. But apparently not for one God-fearing man. And, actually, a few others. I get these letters once in a while, usually from anonymous sources.

This time, however, I have a name to put with the hate, or should I say, strong concern for my heathen soul, by the way, is Mike Harris Jr. moderator of Mike’s Christian Corner.

Thanks, Mike! I feel I can respond to him, since he asked me to “tell (him) what you think” in his letter. Well, okay then!

Mr. Harris Jr. let me know a few things I was unaware of about my yoga practice, things that I’ll share with you below. Then I’d like to take this opportunity to clue Mike and those like him in to another side to yoga, one I hope he never forgets, lest he start daydreaming about sending another one of thee lovely missives to a fellow yogi.

Thee? Wow—Freudian slip, I guess.

I meant to say ‘these.”

The heading of the letter reads “Why No Christian Should Ever Do Yoga.”

Hmmmm…I was intrigued. Especially since I used to teach yoga in a Christian church, was raised Presbyterian and my father is a born-again Christian and deacon. Perhaps I was causing harm?

Mr. Harris Jr: “Is it just another exercise method that has benefits that far outweigh anything else?”

Well, yes, in my opinion. Well said, Mike!

He continues: “These are postures that are offered to the 330 Hindu gods. Yoga poses are really sacrifices or offerings to the gods.”

Wow! I wondered why I always say “your yoga practice lasts 24-7.” Because I’ve been trying to appease 330 million gods! No wonder it takes so long.

Mike, don’t worry. I am not a Hindu.

If I was a Hindu, I might be doing the exercise form of yoga in addition to my other Hindu-esque lifestyle choices. As it stands, ‘yoga’ may have stemmed from a certain culture and time, but, just like you are translating the words of a book written centuries ago, and adopting some (not all, certainly) of its concepts to meet your current needs (like picking on yoga teachers in your spare time), so do we yogis choose concepts from  long ago to help us live in the way we also think is best for ourselves and humanity. In this way, we are not so different.

As I am not a Hindu, I usually do not bring Hindu gods into my classes, just as I would not sing “Jesus Loves Me” or dance the Horah in a classroom that contains all creeds, colors and religions. I do not chant Hindu verses, in the same way I wouldn’t read from the Bible or the Koran during a yoga session. Religion is personal, as is yoga.

For me, yoga is a personal path to what is clear, and good, and honest about a unique student on a unique mat. It contains universal wisdom that needs no religious figure, much less 330 million, to anchor it.

How anyone chooses to get there while in these poses, whether it is to exalt Christ or pray to Allah or focus on their breathing or send love to their creaky knees or wish death to their challenging teacher is none of my concern. Bringing them into an inspired, aligned state so they can get to their best personal work that day is my only job.

Moving right along, Mike offers up some conveniently cherry-picked quotes from the New and Old Testaments, such as:

Thou shalt have no other gods before me. (Exodus 20:3)

Abstain from all appearance of evil. (1 Thessalonians 5:22)

And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprieve them. (Ephesians 5:11)

By the way, not only could I quote you some real gems as well, such as:

Keep slaves:

Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves. (NIV) (Leviticus 25:44)

or

Kill rude children:

Anyone who dishonors father or mother must be put to death. Such a person is guilty of a capital offense. (NLT) (Leviticus 20:9)

…but I’m pretty sure Jesus came along and said that we could take all the Commandments and condense them into one:

Love thy neighbor as Thyself.

Oh wait, except if they are gay, or Muslim, or, God forbid, do a Down Dog four times a week, eh, Mike?

In fact, if we all took a page from Jesus’ book and practiced that one commandment, and refrained from, say, sending hate mail to, say, those who don’t live like we choose to, we could completely change things on this planet for the better. Pretty smart guy, eh?

But back to the real world.

Mike continued with a pithy monologue I’ll paraphrase here:

Doing pranayama can let Satan in.

God doesn’t want us to meditate.

Astral travel attracts demons.

Now, I’m pretty sure that we won’t be seeing Mike anytime soon on a yoga mat, so this post is not for him. But it goes through the example of him to speak to the far larger numbers of more moderate Christians, and those of other religions, who may yet be on the fence about whether yoga is for them, or confused about whether it conflicts with their faith. The answer is: it depends.

Yoga is not Hinduism, necessarily. They were originally separate practices. Yet over time some people and lineages have fused them together, even many of today’s well-meaning yoga teachers who are not Hindu or Buddhist but still insist on bringing both into their classes.

Again, only in my opinion, unless one is teaching a class full of Hindus or Buddhists, only serves to confuse the core teachings of yoga unless it’s made clear that any religious or dogmatic inclusion is there to offer a greater truth up for individual repurposing.

Back to the letter.

Finally, Mike asks (about yoga, presumably, not Astral travel):

“Why would a Christian want to take part in such a thing?”

I’ll tell you why, as a teacher who has taught hundreds of good Christians yoga:

If you love God, yoga can help you get closer.

If you want to pray, yoga will help you be clearer.

If you have a family, yoga will create a more loving you for them.

If your body needs work, yoga will help you transform it.

If you want to live with courage and faith, yoga will help you find it.

If you seek an end to daily suffering, yoga will salve it.

If you are estranged from your neighbor, yoga can unify you.

If you want to be more like Jesus, yoga teaches you the way.

Turn the other cheek if you like, but I’d suggest you take another look at this mindful addition to your existing religious beliefs. When you find the right teacher, yoga becomes an “and” not an “or.”

And, Mike, I’m strangely honored that you care enough about my soul, and that of my fellow practitioners to write a whole missive about it. But when you ended with “Christians should run away from yoga!” I knew I had to write this post. Because there are more like you out there, in churches and synagogues and mosques everywhere giving yoga some pretty bad PR.

If anything, Jesus-lovers, run toward your mat.

You may be surprised to discover that one of the closest things to heaven on earth is waiting for you there.

And, Mike, why don’t you try a class?

You don’t know what you’re missing.

~

Prepared by Bob W./Editor: Kate Bartolotta

About Sadie Nardini

Sadie Nardini, is the founder of Core Strength Vinyasa Yoga, an anatomically-optimized flow style that gives you more results and benefits for every minute spent on your yoga mat. She is a holistic anatomy geek, healthy hedonism advocate, yoga expert, author, and TV host who travels internationally bringing empowering tools to yoga teachers and students everywhere. Her new book, The 21-Day Yoga Body: A Metabolic Makeover, Life-Styling Manual to Get You Fit, Fierce and Fabulous in Just 3 Weeks! (Random House), is out now, and her TV show, Rock Your Yoga, is playing across the country on the new Veria Living Network. With Sadie, you'll sweat, laugh, learn, and come away transformed, informed, and inspired anew. Learn more at www.SadieNardini.com.

Comments

178 Responses to “To the Christian Who Sent Me Hate Mail on Easter Sunday.”

1. Annie Ory says:

I feel it's a bit hyperbolic to call this "hate" mail. He didn't threaten you with anything but eternal damnation and he doesn't have the power to follow through on that threat. I would call this "judgement mail". He's judging you. Why you? Among all the yogis in the world? Who knows. Whatever. Hate mail is strong though. I feel you sister. I don't like being judged. Yuck. But unless he threatened you I don't think it qualifies as hate mail. It's a conversation I've had with Christians and I haven't found they come from a hateful place when they ask these questions, which they REALLY want you to answer the "correct" biblical way. A judging place, yes. They come from a place where they see something in you worth saving and they believe, in their fearful hearts, that your soul is at risk. They are trying to save you. That's not hate. It's misguided and fear-based and out of line and judgmental, especially for someone who doesn't know you, but it's not hate. I say all of this not to make you wrong. No, no. I say it to offer you a way to view this through a lens that doesn't have you holding the idea in your head that someone out there hates you. He doesn't hate you. As judgmental and wrong headed as it is, he's trying to save you.

2. sadienardini says:

hate mail
    n.
    Correspondence that expresses the sender's animosity, disapproval, or prejudice, often in offensive language.

HATE: Hatred (or hate) is a deep and emotional extreme dislike, directed against a certain object or class of objects. The objects of such hatred can vary widely, from inanimate objects to animals, oneself or other people, entire groups of people, people in general, existence, or the whole world. Though not necessarily, hatred is often associated with feelings of anger and disposition towards hostility against the objects of hatred. Hatred can drive oneself to extreme actions. Actions upon people or oneself after a lingering thought are not uncommon. Hatred can result in extreme behavior including violence, murder, and war.

Furthermore, Annie, it's interesting to note that many people, including those who incite war, violence at abortion clinics, burn crosses in people's yards, or write unsuspecting yogis letters telling them they are damned, usually have the best intentions in mind and heart. It's up to us to understand their motives, and call them on their judgmental, separatist, and sometimes horribly hateful behaviors.

This writer's mentality can certainly lead to hate, if it's not already there. It's the exact same type of "judgment" that has led to multiple religious wars, among other things. I've grown up around evangelicals. This man does not honestly want a dialogue. He wanted to preach to me the error of my ways, because he deeply believes it is wrong. If I continue, and become demonic, as he puts it, then are you saying he would simply judge me? Or perhaps do something much worse in the name of God? I mean, the guy knows where I live. I'd suggest that you turn your understanding toward what you would feel like in my place.

So yes, I do believe this qualifies. Let's not hide behind the yogic skew of "judgment" mail. It's a fine line, one I'm calling this writer out on.

3. ValCarruthers says:

Just posted to "Featured Today" on the Elephant Spirituality Homepage.

Valerie Carruthers
    Please go and "Like" Elephant Spirituality on Facebook

4. Mamaste says:

Well said, Sadie!

Just posted to elephant culture.
    ~Mamaste

5. ValCarruthers says:

Just posted to "Featured Today" on the Elephant Spirituality Homepage.

Valerie Carruthers
    Please go and "Like" Elephant Spirituality on Facebook

6. yogasamurai says:

"If you want to be more like Jesus, yoga teaches you the way."

In the same article where you refer, with disparaging implication, to "Jesus Lovers."

Wow, what an insult, Miss Sardini, truly. You should be ASHAMED of yourself. I mean it.

Are you still a Lululemon "Ambassador"?

Well, this is quite a MEDIOCRE display, I must tell you. And let's talk further about "Hate Mail" shall we?

7. yogasamurai says:

You're on to her, and to many of the celebrity yoginis, who are far more interested in making a display of themselves than lending any real light and truth.

This is a very interesting topic actually, whether yoga is fundamentally Hindu-based, and the "compatibility" of Christianity and yoga. There are a range of interesting views on this, and this debate has been raging for several years now.

But Miss Sardini manages to dismiss this entire terrain of subtle and nuanced discussion in favor of her own brand of Yoga "Uber Alles." This is the kind of sweetly stated, know-nothing self-righteousness that typifies today's yoga world.

All over what amounts to a private letter, in fact.

8. __MikeG__ says:

Agree or disagree with the statement but I find it bizarre that anyone would find the statement to be an insult. And what does lululemon have to do with Ms Nardini's article? I'm not a fan of Ms. Nardini but I attempt to be fair. The pointless linking of of lululemon to this article is also more than a little bizarre. Your response is mediocre but I do not feel the need to YELL about it.

9. yogasamurai says:

It's not a pointless connection. Luluheads are always extolling their own virtues, and the need for true excellence. So be excellent. Don't write such a shabby self-serving diatribe masquerading as something else.

10. yogasamurai says:

"If you want to be a true Yogini, let Jesus the "Way-Shower" guide you on your path."

Fair enough?

11. muks says:

Why should Satan be in the air??!!! Are Christians supposed to be shallow breathers?

Christians do not meditate? Should Christians not sit peacefully and repeat a bible passage?! I have just been to a monastery where the nuns meditate with no reference to Yoga 😉

12. muks says:

"If you want to be more like Jesus, yoga teaches you the way."

The zero conditional sentence is used when the result of the condition is always true, not the condition itself.

13. sadienardini says:

Thanks Val, Mamaste, and everyone who is commenting here. I want to make it extra clear that in this post, when I disagree with this particular Christian man's views, I am not referring to the vast majority of those that count themselves as religious, but who are more middle-of-the-road, loving and let-live types. I know you're out there too, and in yoga studios and loving it. I am in no way lumping you in with those who are more fundamentalist.

14. sadienardini says:

Thanks, Mike,

Fan of me or not, I'm happy that you saw fit to comment here. Much appreciated.

xoSadie

15. sadienardini says:

Hi Yogasamurai,

I haven't been a lulu ambassador for years. It's not factoring into my post, which has very little to do with me, and very much to do with me using this correspondence I received as a vehicle to actually welcome more people from all religious backgrounds to the practice of yoga.

When I say that yoga can help you become more like Jesus, isn't that one of the core aims of any Christian–to emulate him in the following ways:

Nonviolence
    Being honest
    Not taking what's not yours
    Not coveting your neighbor's wife (sexual responsibility)
    Non-greediness
    Keeping yourself clean in mind, body and energy
    Contentment
    Dedication
    Self Study
    Surrendering to the Divine.

Oh, wait, those are the Yamas and Niyamas. Something Jesus stood for, and something I'd encourage you, and all those who comment in these community forums, to strive for.

16. yogasamurai says:

Jesus didn't stand for anything in the yoga system. Different theology. Stop trying to make it all about yoga – and about you. And you'll do fine, Sadie.

It's sad to see you write such a typical, anti-Christian type article actually? I recall that you once wrote a most interesting article challenging yogis on the issue of non-violence?

What you said there, and I agree – in fact, I have written on the topic myself – is that yoga was misapplying the yamas and niyamas to defend pacifism, when in fact, yoga was perfectly compatible with war – and indeed always has been.

Perhaps that was in your critical thinking phase? I'll be sure to lower my expectations from here on out
    xoxo Stewart Lawrence

17. sadienardini says:

The conditionality stated is that yoga teaches you the way, which is true.

18. sadienardini says:

Here are some links sent to me just now….GO, Christian and Jewish yogis!

19. Kim says:

"A human being is a part of a whole, called by us "universe" a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest… a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty." ~ Albert Einstein

20. Hanuman says:

Being a devotee of Christ and Ram both, I sometimes wonder if the true “Anti-Christ” isn’t Christianity itself…

21. Trish Adkins says:

One of my favorite stories from the Bible: mark 9:38-40
    Whoever Is Not Against Us Is for Us

38 “Teacher,” said John, “we saw someone driving out demons in your name and we told him to stop, because he was not one of us.”
       39 “Do not stop him,” Jesus said. “For no one who does a miracle in my name can in the next moment say anything bad about me, 40 for whoever is not against us is for us. 41 Truly I tell you, anyone who gives you a cup of water in my name because you belong to the Messiah will certainly not lose their reward.

I often teach yoga at my church. I often pray at the end of my personal practice. The practice of yoga has driven me closer to God in His name. In His name I practice.

The sort of ignorant dribble in the letter you received comes from
    Such a place of fear. A place Christ told his disciplines to avoid–for we are all in this together.

22. Laurie says:

The original writer is wrong that yoga postures are a sacrifice or offering to the Hindu gods and that breathing practices are an invitation to let Satan in. I have never done a yoga pose or breathing practice for a Hindu god or Satan. Not even once.

Some, but certainly not all, yoga teachers use Hindu philosophy in their classes. They are not encouraging you to turn away from your God. The stories are meant to convey a certain theme, such such as truthfulness, nonviolence, or contentment. Not all approaches will inspire everyone.

A big difference between yoga and other disciplines (exercise methods) is INTENTION. The yogi determines his/her own intention. It can be different for different for different people in the same class. There is no right or wrong here. You can set an intention of decreasing stress or burning calories or getting more flexible. You can set the intention of using your yogic focus to get closer to your God.

There are yoga instructors out there who mention God (your Christian God) in their classes. I encourage you to find a Christian-based class to see how this faith is integrated with postures and breathing practices.

The spiritual inspiration you get from Church is similar to the lift many people get from yoga class, whether they pray to your God, another god, or don’t believe in god at all. Not every teacher, class, or style of yoga is going to inspire everyone. Some people just want the pose instruction and no spiritual talk at all.

Does everyone who attends your church love it, find it a perfect fit, and come back every week? How would you feel if someone who had never attended wrote an essay like the one you sent Sadie, that no Christian should ever go there?

If you went to one class and thought it was evil, or have never tried a yoga class yourself, I encourage you to try classes in different yoga traditions, with different teachers before forming judgement. You may find a yoga class that not only does not contradict your faith, but strengthens it.

23. Emma says:

Hate mail or judgemental mail, call it whatever you want to, I don't find it very Christian to judge anyone! sadie, I for one understand the power that yoga has, it transformed my life, I no longer judge, I live by a live and let
    Live policy, all thanks to my yoga mat, it certainly showed me the way. Do not worry About any thing else, as long as you, yourself are at peace, I see no reason to worry about the judgements of others. You take care of your self. namaste Sadie.

24. GET_a_LAWyer says:

Not sure what is the law in the United States, but I will recommend you to get a lawyer to sue Mike Harris Jr, since you get his details for invading your privacy (how does he know where you live?) and wasting your time with this issue. And to give order to Mike Harris Jr not to mail you anymore further letter, which will give examples to other anonymous cowards to stop wasting their time and your time.

25. __MikeG__ says:

You are welcome. And my not being a fan does not mean that I have anything against you personally. How could I? I do not know you. I have enjoyed many of your posts in the past and I wish you well.

I wish now that I had left out the "fan" part. But I felt compelled to respond to the ridiculous personal attack against you in a way which emphasized that the response was from a neutral observer. I should have known that responding in a neutral way to persons with closed minds is as pointless as an ad hominem attack.

But after reading your response to yet another bizarre post I think I have become a fan of your EJ posts. Hugs.

26. sadienardini says:

Wow, Stewart, I have no idea how you could read the same thing I wrote, and misunderstand my point so completely. When I said "Jesus-Lovers", I meant just that–people who love Jesus. Absolutely nothing disparaging about it.

So, you wrote about this topic yourself, so I assume your personal opinion played a role in it, yet you are here telling me not to insert mine into my pieces. Interesting. Last time I checked, it's a free country, with free speech, and individuality is encouraged.

In addition, this is probably the most PRO-Christianity post I could have written. I am trying to invite more religious people to try it out, not the other way around. I am opposed to the way this letter was written to me, but what a great teaching it turned out to be, and sparked this dialogue between us all.

Sadie

27. __MikeG__ says:

What is a lulu head? According you you, everyone who buys a certain brand of clothing are "always extolling their own virtues". How do you know that? You do not know every person who has every bought the brand. And you use an arrogant , ignorant and hateful anti-lulu statement in a failed attempt to insult Ms. Nardini. I've noticed this type of comment is typical of you. Do you enjoy trolling EJ or are you unable to make any argument based on merit and without ad hominem attacks?

28. paul says:

As curious and seemingly unable to quote the gospels as Mike is, I think he does have some good points when they're put in a different frame.
    "Emptying" the mind isn't particularly what meditation is about; we could just knock ourselves out if that were the case. So he seems to just have a misunderstanding, or a unique understanding, of what meditation is all about.
    Some forms of prāṇāyama can have very negative consequences if done improperly, or when we're not ready for them (just like you can overextend in a pose, so too with breath practices- āyama is in the word after all). Some prāṇāyama is designed specifically to (supposedly) "awaken kuṇḍalinī" and if the body is not prepared, the energy can fracture the mind a bit. And (supposedly) if precautions aren't taken, a spirit can take over a body that is astral projecting.
    As to the hate-ness of the letter, I too see it only peripherally, but Romans 12 does go on to say "hate what is evil, cling to what is good" so perhaps that is where he is coming from.

29. sadienardini says:

I see what you meant by that–and I think that was a good designation to make. Not everyone here has the loving bias that inevitably comes with being an excited fan, nor should they.

It's a fact that I run into with some commenters, who just do not get the intended purpose of my posts, which, though flawed, I'm sure, are always aimed to lie somewhere on the spectrum between boundaried-discerning to positively unifying. At the very least, I strive to be authentically me, for sure.

I don't want everyone to agree with me (how could they?) but I always hope for respect as we converse about the topic at hand. As always, any comments only reveal to me the type of person who writes them, as we are only able to represent the state of the relationship we have with ourselves. So it's made pretty clear who I'd like to have a beer with and who….not so much.

Thank you again for being able to communicate with integrity-
    have a lovely day and I hope to hear from you here again in the future.

xoSadie

30. kris says:

I'm a born again Christian – and I own a yoga studio. Everyone is welccome in my studio regardless of religion. I don't preach, but I try to be a good example and love on everyone just as I know Jesus would do. I think as people we have to be careful about who is calling themself a "Christian" – I believe there are things in the Bible that are bblack and white and there may be some gray areas – but it is not for us to judge others – but rather speak to what our faith has done for us. Many so-called "christians' go about this in the wrong way – extremely wrong – and it really gives christians a bad name as judgemental, stuck-up, ignorant – what have you. It is extremely frustrating to be lumped into one big "christian" mold, when most of us are not like that. In the end we are all sinners, we are all flawed – regardless of whether we are christian, atheist, jewish, muslim, hindu – and we can all practice yoga together!!

31. yogasamurai says:

Dumb idea.

32. yogasamurai says:

Many yogis go about it the wrong way, too. Intolerance is not just a Christian problem. Just look at all the nutty cultists in Anusara Yoga.

If you want to haven an honest dialogue about Yoga, Hinduism and Christianity, let's do it. If you want to keep spouting the We are the World Yoga line, do it, too, but expect it to be pointed out, and not necessarily accepted on faith, especially when you take one guy's private letter and use it to try to make a broader point about yoga's alleged ecumenism, and its ability to guide all other faiths – including Christians – which in fact, it does not have.

Regarding the invasion of privacy issue, I believe it's Sadie that might want to consult an attorney, since she posted a private communication? Or was the letter intended for online publication through you? Did he license you to exploit his words – and to disparage him – for your own gain? Maybe I missed that. If I did, let me know.

Next time just write a more thoughtful piece? Namaste

33. yogasamurai says:

Where does this idea of trolling come from? It's become the big social media epithet – and red herring.

It seems that every yoga narcissist who doesn't get an instant "atta-boy, " "you so rock" or "you go girl" gets accused of this.

I'll keep thinking thank you, Mike.

34. yogasamurai says:

There was absolutely no good reason to post the gentleman's private letter, period, but since you did, it should have led to a thoughtful discussion. Maybe somebody else more qualified and with greater integrity than Ms. Sardini could tackle it. I can see that integrity is a very misused word here!!!

35. yogasamurai says:

And Waylon, my brother, you might want to consider the wisdom, legally, of allowing this to go on, because you may well be liable yourself.

36. hya says:

I agree.
    But "hate mail" is better for the headline, isn't it.

37. excuse_me says:

Excuse me, are you a lawyer???, what makes you think it is a dumb idea?? please support your argument!!!!!, THINK before you SPEAK!!!!

38. __MikeG__ says:

You are trolling because instead of addressing the issue you attack the person. Generalizations and insults appear to be the only contribution you are willing to make. Also, until you use the concept of 'red herring" correctly you should not use the phrase in a sentence.

39. __MikeG__ says:

More ad hominem attacks. Once again you fail to make any intelligent comment and resort to name calling. Persons with integrity do not resort to insulting people who they do not know.

40. paul says:

I think this is fair use. It doesn't quote it entirely, and puts it in a larger context. Further, as you may know, it's already published at http://www.mikeschristiancorner.com/yoga.html
    It is curious to me that you deride Nardini's supposed vitriol while cherishing (or is 'thrilling in' the more appropriate term?) your own against the (non-existent) anusara "cult" and popular "celebrity" yogins, and so too your supposed call for honesty seem a little silly.

41. yogasamurai says:

Wasn't aware it had been published; of course, if it has, the issue is moot.

Anusara Yoga needs no disparaging from me. It's already done a very good job of discrediting itself and damaging the reputation of yoga everywhere.

I simply used it as an example of yogic intolerance. The issue has been explored with even greater force over at Yoga Dork actually.

Of course, people see the mote in another's eye, but not the 2×4 in their own. Christian "intolerance" is a well worn – indeed hackneyed – theme. Yogic intolerance much less so, in part because yogis so avidly feign such tolerance – if only to expand the customer base.

I would ,love to see somebody actually write about this issue with the depth it deserves. Not just another CYA love letter on behalf of Miss Sadie.

Thanks Paul

42. yogasamurai says:

So I went to the web site, and saw what appears to be an open letter. It does not appear to be addressed by name to Sadie Nardini. Did she receive a copy in the mail?

If not, what's the beef here? Even if she did receive it, what's the beef here? It probably went out to hundreds of yogis.

What's the actual deal here, as Miss Sardini claims to have been targeted? I mean, as long as everyone's so concerned about their vaunted integrity – and her welfare.

Sounds like another cry for attention to me.

My conclusion: Mike and Sadie deserve each other

43. Ha!

"Also, until you use the concept of 'red herring" correctly you should not use the phrase in a sentence."

I have mixed feelings on the debate in general…but that is perfect.

44. bflatbrad says:

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose. ~ Shakespeare

45. __MikeG__ says:

What gain? Ms. Nardini did not make any money with this article.

There is no legal expectation of privacy for any correspondence, unless both parties agree beforehand the correspondence is private. This is just a transparent attempt to censor a post which conveys ideas for which you do not agree.

And I see that you resorted to your usual name calling with your "nutty cultist" comment.

46. sadienardini says:

YS…I was targeted. I received the letter, with my name on the envelope. Therefore, I have a right to respond.
    There was no request nor agreement of privacy.

The fact that this guy may have sent the letter to "hundreds of yogis", as you suppose, somehow finding out their mailing addresses too and sending them this ignorant rant, is all the more reason we should bring attention to this. It's made an even worse invasion of privacy then, not less.

47. paul says:

Even if it was "just" religious spam, though sent via the post office, she can still have any "beef" that she wants. (In fact, one of her first pieces on ej was her speaking out about the intolerance and judginess she felt against meat eating within the yoga crowd- merited imo but that's another topic 🙂 ) It's freaky to get personal (even if it's only seeming so) mail- are psychic powers a part of your definition of being a "celebrity" yoga teacher?
    What is most bizarre to me is that people are told they shouldn't express themselves, especially given the infinite length of the electric page. What is your "beef" with her speaking out against this attack on her living? What are you really crying out for?

48. guest says:

bwahahaha! silly american christians. (I am from europe, I yet have to meet crazies like that there..but maybe because I stay clear from tiny towns)
    Anyway, this letter is just silly and if "mike" would read the bible, he would be aware that he doesn't have enough slaves and is sinning by wearing mixed fabrics (cotton polyester blend?)
    If I am a christian (and I used to be RC), those 330 Hindu gods don`t exist. There is only one god. so whatever this practice was intended for (e.g. praying) it doesn't work anyway. (However,what makes those Hindu gods less real than the christian god? no big difference…) How about you consider yoga as a worship to your own god b/c you take care of your "god given" ability and body..

49. [email protected] says:

Hey yogasamurai, or whatever, are you liking your own comment(s)- I meant clicking on the "thumb up" icon yourself???

50. guest says:

everyone who believes in the Christian god is a Christian. you can't pick and choose who is doing it the right way, simply because of all the grey areas…everyone thinks they are right in their interpretation.(technically we should be talking about Christian godS not god..)